Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:50   #1
BHPian

Problem with new Honda Activa

I recently got my sister new honda activa and facing a strange problem with this vehicle.

The vehicle pulls towards the left while riding. I felt it might be an issue with the fork. When I asked the service guy at time of delivery he told its normal in new activa's and after running for about 100 kms it will become proper. Started arguing with him but then even sales people there told the same thing.

After a month gave the vehicle for first service and informed them that even after running for 300 odd kms the problem is still not rectified. But even after service they were not able to rectify this problem. And i had a very horrible experience with planet honda service in bangalore.

Fed up with this service station, took it to another honda service station and even they were not able to solve this issue. Now i feel it might be manufacturing defect. The vehicle is just 3 months old. Can anyone tell me to whom to escalate this issue? I feel there is no point in taking this to the authorized sales/service people here. It will be like going to the government office. I want to take this up with the regional head or some one who can help me in this.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I would start off by calling HMSI customer care & then proceed further. But before concluding anything, try to take an opinion from another friend who's also knowledgable about two-wheelers or another TBHPian on the scooter's handling.

Now, even after 300 Kms, if they're not able to correct this issue, are they atleast admitting that this is an issue in first place? If yes, then, pls do not fight with the dealer, try to remain calm & try to squeeze as much as info from the dealer. He might also help you with some contacts with HMSI.
Old 9th November 2010, 16:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
I recently got my sister new honda activa and facing a strange problem with this vehicle.

The vehicle pulls towards the left while riding. I felt it might be an issue with the fork. When I asked the service guy at time of delivery he told its normal in new activa's and after running for about 100 kms it will become proper. Started arguing with him but then even sales people there told the same thing.

After a month gave the vehicle for first service and informed them that even after running for 300 odd kms the problem is still not rectified. But even after service they were not able to rectify this problem. And i had a very horrible experience with planet honda service in bangalore.

Fed up with this service station, took it to another honda service station and even they were not able to solve this issue. Now i feel it might be manufacturing defect. The vehicle is just 3 months old. Can anyone tell me to whom to escalate this issue? I feel there is no point in taking this to the authorized sales/service people here. It will be like going to the government office. I want to take this up with the regional head or some one who can help me in this.
Same issue with my wife's 1 week old activa... Its not a strange problem. Its a problem with all new activas. My wife's colleague's new one also faced the same problem but his got rectified after 1st service.

To add to it, the fuel guage is not working and the headlight focussing is on the moon (I guess honda wanted us to look at the craters there too). Does your problem still persist? Can you let me know if you got any number or email of HMSI that would help us in this matter?

Last edited by Avinash_R : 9th November 2010 at 16:17. Reason: Added an incident
Old 9th November 2010, 16:49   #4
BHPian

I have a January 2010 Activa in Mumbai and have had a similar manufacturing defect from day one. The scooter pulls slightly to the left and I thought that it will get corrected by itself over time, due to faulty tyres etc. But, by now I have clocked 5500 kms and the problem is still not gone. Due to my previous experiences with Auto companies and their unprofessional staff at the service outlets, handling our vehicles during the free services, I am hesitant to give it for rectification or else I get the Activa back full of scratches and the problem still persisting.

Rather prefer to make a compromise and live with it.

Best Regards,

Rony Vesuna
Old 9th November 2010, 17:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

my activa Feb 2007 had same issue.
as per their engineer the vehicles come in trailer from factory & in this long transport the the handle bar tee becomes a little bent.

do just one thing adjust your riding style. (or your sisters)
my sister only complained about head light pointing different direction at night.
(our H.A.S.S. just repaired it but still it is little bent)

Last edited by jeepster : 9th November 2010 at 17:55.
Old 9th November 2010, 18:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
my activa Feb 2007 had same issue.
as per their engineer the vehicles come in trailer from factory & in this long transport the the handle bar tee becomes a little bent.
What a foolish argument from honda persons!! We are throwing our money in well. Why not this happened to every two wheeler?

Quote:
do just one thing adjust your riding style.
Please elaborate this.

It is very problematic situation when the balance goes out. Rider have to make balance every second and there is no joy of riding and if there is a situation of sudden breaking it feels that we are felling.
Old 10th November 2010, 08:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
What a foolish argument from honda persons!! We are throwing our money in well. Why not this happened to every two wheeler?
i feel it is true because many activa had similar problems.
& i dont think honda will compromise with quality of steering parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Please elaborate this.
it was a joke.

but if you are really concerned about handling just change the triple tee (?) from H.A.S.S. (thats the only way)
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with new Honda Activa-2007hondaruckusa.jpg  

Last edited by jeepster : 10th November 2010 at 08:42.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

found the exact parts in question.

is any one is having issues of handle bar pointing at different direction or bent steering of honda activa.
ask H.A.S.S. to replace following one or both parts.

in most cases it will be the handle bar assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with new Honda Activa-035.jpg  

Problem with new Honda Activa-050.jpg  

Old 10th November 2010, 09:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Jeepster - Having owned an Activa myself, I would say, the engineering of Activa is top notch in quality. The pics posted here is about the fork assy & handle bar. IMO, that's one of the critical piece in any motorcycle/scooter & IMHO, HMSI cannot take chances to make a defective piece on that one.

I'm not trying to justify HMSI, but probably saying that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R
To add to it, the fuel guage is not working and the headlight focussing is on the moon (I guess honda wanted us to look at the craters there too). Does your problem still persist?
the above can happen only after a fall. Quite a chance that the parked scooter could've been fallen down & someone could've put it back on mains. With a fall, this is bound to happen.

Regarding the vehicle pulling to one side, there're 2 reasons...
1. Defective cone set OR again, your statement of defective forks
2. Tightness in the new vehicle; allow sometime to settle & they'll be free.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i dont think honda will compromise with quality of steering parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
the engineering of Activa is top notch in quality. The pics posted here is about the fork assy & handle bar.
HMSI cannot take chances to make a defective piece on that one.
you are right but it is also true that many activas (old gen) had such issues. (as per local H.A.S.S)

my activa was repaired thrice for this problem within first 4 months.
every time i said to replace the handlebar assembly but they got it repaired free of coat. (out side H.A.S.S. at local lathe)

Last edited by jeepster : 10th November 2010 at 10:13.
Old 10th November 2010, 18:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Can the pull be because of the crown of the road
Old 11th November 2010, 11:47   #12
BHPian

Nope, I do not think its because of the road conditions. Let me check the condition after 1st service but I will surely bring up this matter.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:48   #13
BHPian

As promised, here is my update after the 1st service.

The vechile has stopped pulling to the left. I talked to the service ppl in detail and they told me that after 1st service, this problem is usually rectified.

Meter guage problem still not fixed. They say its under warranty and that they have to take a photo of the guage not working and send it to Honda as proof. So we have to leave the scooter again on Wednesday because Honda doesn't check their emails on a Saturday!!
Old 29th November 2010, 12:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
The vechile has stopped pulling to the left. I talked to the service ppl in detail and they told me that after 1st service, this problem is usually rectified.
So did you ask them about the source of the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
they have to take a photo of the guage not working and send it to Honda as proof.
C'mon!!! how to they simply take the photo as proof? This is a pure white lies!!! If they need to take a proof, how will they do it? Take a pic when the vehicle is in motion? So how will they prove the pic was taken when the vehicle is in motion? Video? Then why did they say pic?

Anyone can take a pic on a stationary vehicle to claim the meter is not working isn't it?

They're giving crap reasons @Avinash.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:01   #15
BHPian

@aargee
The source of the problem "according to them" is the tightness of a new scooter and wheel balancing.(I dont believe them). I intend to talk to the manager about this but he was not available that day.

Yup, I was baffled too by the answer. I laughed out loud hearing this. Well, the main guy in charge of the service was not there so did not go ahead with questioning the guys further. Will do it when we leave the scooter on Wednesday.

Anyone here knows the manager of Silicon Honda, Kathriguppe, BLR or anybody from the HMSI group?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks