Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2011, 16:58   #76
BHPian

Re: Project: Creating the real beast! worlds fastest TurboDiesel Motorcycle! Pics on

Wow!! thats a great bike in the making ,looks mean too .By the way your rear tyres looks like they are in the wrong direction..
Old 7th March 2011, 11:00   #77
BANNED

Re: Project: Creating the real beast! worlds fastest TurboDiesel Motorcycle! Pics on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Dustom ji,

Congrats and wishes on your project. I pray the lord Almighty to bless upon you and your project so that we soon see a Indian in the world record list.

Btw one question from my side, what happened to your front double disked fork search? Did you manage to find any?

Any plans of adding brake chutes(like the one in aircrafts)?

Will your brakes be ABS equipped to avoid locking up while braking at high speeds?

Also one question is that normally the brakes would have been tested for normal road going/racing speeds, how do you think they would perform under record breaking-braking speeds?

How do you intend to brake? Just a normal depress of lever and brakes continuously rub on the disks or aircraft type touch and go at short bursts(kind of ABS style)?

Are you by chance going to test/attempt the feat in Salt lake in US? What does the FIM regulations say for the test bed? Can it be tested in any part of the world?

I know too many questions to answer but its just my curiosity as an aero engineer and I have been closely following your thread right from day 1 of your post. Heart filled with pride to see a Indian attempt one such feat. Hope you don't mind.

1.Have not yet found double disc front end.May be i was not looking hard enough. changing to double disc setup would be almost plug and play, so no worries can be done anytime.

2. Brake chute is mandatory only for vehicles attempting in classes where record stands above 200mph. Humble speeds of about 130-140mph, it isnt required as well i guess because slat flats has enough runoff track to slow down monsters travelling at 400-500mph, even in case there brakes fail.
If it is felt that brake chute is required ,i surely will get it done.It is available as kit.

3.No ABS ,people having ABS equipped vehicles usually turnoff or disable ABS on salt. Moreover i do not have enough knowhow to make my bike an ABS one ,YET!

4. Record breaking speeds on this motorcycle is most likely going to be quite ordinary speed for few other already available bikes and cruisers.
high performance pads and ceramic discs/pads are available if one desires .WRC spec anti-boil brake fluid is also available, what all will be needed,i cannot comment just yet.

5. some testing will give some valuable data and will probably tell a good braking tech alwell. IMo braking for about 2sec,then shifting down,take a breather for about another 2 secs to let clutch cool down ,and then again braking would do just good .

6. Absolute speed records by teams can be attempted anywhere on the globe over a measured mile, requirement is, course should be homologated by FIA/FIM, time keeper and safety inspector from FIA/FIM should be in attendence at the attempt .Team needs to provide Geostats of the intended location 3months in advance,and some other tit bits.
Class records can only be attempted at FIA/FIM homologated events( speed week being one of them).
Old 7th March 2011, 11:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
1.Have not yet found double disc front end.May be i was not looking hard enough. changing to double disc setup would be almost plug and play, so no worries can be done anytime.

2. Brake chute is mandatory only for vehicles attempting in classes where record stands above 200mph. Humble speeds of about 130-140mph, it isnt required as well i guess because slat flats has enough runoff track to slow down monsters travelling at 400-500mph, even in case there brakes fail.
If it is felt that brake chute is required ,i surely will get it done.It is available as kit.

3.No ABS ,people having ABS equipped vehicles usually turnoff or disable ABS on salt. Moreover i do not have enough knowhow to make my bike an ABS one ,YET!

4. Record breaking speeds on this motorcycle is most likely going to be quite ordinary speed for few other already available bikes and cruisers.
high performance pads and ceramic discs/pads are available if one desires .WRC spec anti-boil brake fluid is also available, what all will be needed,i cannot comment just yet.

5. some testing will give some valuable data and will probably tell a good braking tech alwell. IMo braking for about 2sec,then shifting down,take a breather for about another 2 secs to let clutch cool down ,and then again braking would do just good .

6. Absolute speed records by teams can be attempted anywhere on the globe over a measured mile, requirement is, course should be homologated by FIA/FIM, time keeper and safety inspector from FIA/FIM should be in attendence at the attempt .Team needs to provide Geostats of the intended location 3months in advance,and some other tit bits.
Class records can only be attempted at FIA/FIM homologated events( speed week being one of them).

Sir thank for your kind response. I have few more questions.

Though I wouldn't want that situation to come, but one has to always plan for it and I am sure you too would have planned for it. Its simple,

what is your fail-safe in-case of emergency plan?For eg. a puncture in the mid or so. other than protective clothing, anything like, tilt sensor to cut-off the power supply.

Have you decided on your rubber to be used yet? for a 150mph I don't think it should be much of an issue, but are there any specific brands/models available which cater to better grip and hold together in flat hot dry salt beds.

Final question: Planning to use it on road after the record attempt? Any idea of patronising?
Old 7th March 2011, 11:49   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Sir thank for your kind response. I have few more questions.

Though I wouldn't want that situation to come, but one has to always plan for it and I am sure you too would have planned for it. Its simple,

what is your fail-safe in-case of emergency plan?For eg. a puncture in the mid or so. other than protective clothing, anything like, tilt sensor to cut-off the power supply.

Have you decided on your rubber to be used yet? for a 150mph I don't think it should be much of an issue, but are there any specific brands/models available which cater to better grip and hold together in flat hot dry salt beds.

Final question: Planning to use it on road after the record attempt? Any idea of patronising?
There are already some rules governing fail safe measures as laid down by FIM and event organisers. They includes power cutoff devices,fire retardants,neutral finders and things like that.
There are about 180 specific rules regarding safety alone,and one must satisfy all of them befor you get to run. ABS and electronic aids like EBD,ESP are not a must in any class,infact most experienced folks recomend driving/riding without these electronic aids,not only on course but in daily driving. Ofcourse these recomendations are only for people who know how to dive/ride.

I will see what all applies to my class,and will have to do it anyway.

There are some tyres from cooper specifically for salt, other then them tyres rated at 160mph and above will do just fine.all you need to do is keep a track of tyre temp and pressure while testing.

Plan A: for a tyre puncture while on the run is : Do not use Brakes, cutoff throttle and try to stay above the bike not under it!

Plan B : Try and follow plan A
Plan C : Its time to pray.

YES I am making all the effort to keep the motorcycle streetlegal and Euro3 ready. In the first post itself I mentioned I want to build a street legal motorcycle that would be tall enough to challange for the record.
I have paid special attention to easy assembly and servicing ,designed parts that have smallest possible sub assemblies so that in case something fails only the smallest possible component needs to be replaced.

Once primary target is achieved ,lets see where does the project go from there,might well get into mass production.
mass production or not, this one is going to be My ride for quite a few years to come.
Old 17th March 2011, 08:17   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Capt are you x-nda? Which course?
Sorry Dustom for the late reply. was touring.

Nah. I'm a product of OTA Madras; SSC46. Was in from 1988 to 1994.

Quote:
Any plans of adding brake chutes(like the one in aircrafts)?
Quote:

I doubt if a two wheeler can be kept on the two wheels after deploying the chute. As I see, the resultant turbulance would sway the chute so much that it would be well neigh impossible to keep the bike stable.
Old 24th March 2011, 00:04   #81
BANNED

YAHOO!!! Been to 100mph for the first time in my life, and doing that on diesel motorcycle is just awe!
Just three word 'Tsunami of torque'.
But the bike is repeatedly going to neutral when in 3rd gear. Guess will need to inspect the gearbox internals.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 10:53   #82
BHPian

Congrats " Dustom 99 " !!!!!!

hope the Hyundai 1.5 motor works for 'Tsunami of torque'.
waiting for PHOTO and VIDEO
Old 25th March 2011, 18:06   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
YAHOO!!! Been to 100mph for the first time in my life, and doing that on diesel motorcycle is just awe!
Congrats. Hitting 160 in a car is exhilarating enough; I can only imagine what it must be like on a motorcycle...and a diesel at that! The torque must be "can't-keep-the-bike-straight" types
Old 25th March 2011, 19:07   #84
BANNED

Yes the torque is sort of dangerous in 1st gear,even at 1000 odd rpm it gets tough to feather the accelrator. Just a bit too much and back end is all over the place.
There is quite a bit of shaft jack as well,so much so that it feels the rear suspension will be ripped from the frame. This is another problem that needs to be sorted.
My workbench is bit out of town and is about 1km from 1st pukka road. That 1km ,the path resembles that of a war torn country.
In 2nd gear it becomes too fast for that sort of road.
So getting to tarmac was ordeal enough.
Once on a good road,there was no loss of traction before boost comes at about 1900rpm ,where again being gentle with acceleration is mandatory.
Have taken her to road 3 times,there is no intercooler , no airfilter,and no muffler till now.
1st couple of times I came back without trying too many things,was happy that nothing felloff or broke ,did about 60kmph(had no speedo)

That is when I gave it bit of stick in 3rd gear, by the time I saw rpm,i was doing 120.
I slowed down and returned to our mobile pit, a scorpio. Realised that it was quick and not that scary.
Next run I persisted with throttle for a while longer,thats when I saw 4000 rpm in 3rd gear.

I guess torque is enough for wheel spin in 2nd gear
Even when bike is already at 60-70kmph

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Please read the announcements section before posting further (particularly this (Team-BHP Warning / Infraction System) one).

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th July 2011 at 14:43.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:52   #85
BANNED

Re doing rear suspension,and gear ratios. New gear ratios are -
1st gr-800rpm-6kmph.4000rpm-33kmph.
2nd gr-800rpm-12.4kmph,4000rpm-62kmph.
3rd-800rpm-21.2kmph,4000-106.6kmph.
4th-800rpm-27.1kmph,4000rpm-136kmphkmph.
5th-800rpm-37.1kmph,4000rpm-185.5kmph,4500rpm-208kmph.6th gr-4000rpm-248kmph.
According to results from first 3 runs ,these are the primary changes that I am enforcing.
Redesigned rear subframe that holds rear suspension and drive shaft.
Addition of 6th gear.

This will result in bike being 11kg lighter,about 10percent stiffer frame and ofcourse with close gear spacing, better 0-100 and 50-150kmph times.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:22   #86
BHPian

Excellent work. U have excellent mechanical skills but very poor photography skills

Please please take detailed pictures so that we can atleast enjoy looking at this work of art. Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 17:49   #87
BHPian

So good to see a real project. something like this puts us to the international charts of bike builders.. hearty congratulations sir for this marvelous attempt.
Old 21st April 2011, 18:54   #88
BHPian

I guess this link would help for the cosmetics as the aesthetics look somewhat similar to your beast.

Kickboxer Diesel and All Wheel Drive
Old 11th July 2011, 13:07   #89
BHPian

Hi Dustom_99,

Any updates. Eagerly awaiting pics.

Regards

Rajesh
Old 12th July 2011, 12:11   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrajesh View Post
Hi Dustom_99,

Any updates. Eagerly awaiting pics.

Regards

Rajesh

Updates?
Yes there are some,but there was no point in posting them.
I wanted to experiment with some closer ratios,and gearbox was noisy aswell.
For that,i gave the gearbox case to a lathe guy.
IT was suppose to come back in a weeks time.
I do not know how,but that *** managed to break the case,taking off big chunk of it.
He said,it broke while he was trying to centre it on lathe.
A repaired case for gearbox was not an option, because it was to be a stress bearing member on bike.
Few days I felt miserable,an thoughts of giving up started crossing my mind .
But as always I decided otherwise,and went to meerut.
I wanted just the case,but non of the dealers were wiling to sell only the case .
Ended up spending 32grand for another gearbox of verna.
Once again case went for machining, this time it is back ok.
New ratios have been done,new design of rear end(swingarm and suspension mountings).

Its been a while,but atleast I am back where I was in feb.this time with new ratios.
Lets see, what all will come in way of my dream!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks