Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 23:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles

Well, I have got a chance to look at a Bi-Cycle powered with fractional horse power engine from Ralli India. At first I thought this vehicle will fit into cycle forum but then, there is a fossil fuel and piston, cylinder, silencer blah blah blah.

So this little boy finds a place in two wheeler discussion.

As the current owner of this motor powered bi-cycle, it was sometime early '80s Rallis India ltd, Choose TI cycles premium brand HERCULES 22 inch Bi -cycles & fixed their 16cc(not sure though) Rallis gasoline engines, which was powering Pesticide Sprayers, but not before modifying the
engine with CLUTCH & power generator. Until seeing this cycle I was in strong belief that only Mofa is the least powered two wheeler sold in India. But then opinion changes once you get to know more about the industry.

The Engine crank case had provision to fit into the bottom of the Bi-cycle main frame TRI ANGLE. Without proper brake design & with pure rigid frame(?), the bike was not much dependable as for as safety & pleasure concerned, apart from good fuel efficiency(nearly 90 kms per liter for this little 2stroke boy) However the previous owner of this bike has taken up the challenge, which even Rallis India failed to do.

He has picked up a " RockShock" ( the first bike to come with Front & rear Shock Absorbers in India) & fixed this same engine, but with Drum brakes of Suvega..really cool work!!!

The silencer and fuel tank as seen in the picture were supplied with the Rallis engine/Hercules cycle originally.

Other facts to discuss about this engine is that the cylinder and head are integrated in a single component. woW

Another fact about the cycle in picture is that, this is the first ever dual shock absorber fixed bi-cycle in India.

Dunno, why he has parted ...any way its here at our TBHPian Powertwin's garage in Coimbatore. In a way I'm glad this piece of engineering has reached the right hands finally.

Now the Pictures:
Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12865.jpg

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12868.jpg

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12876.jpg

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12877.jpg

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12878.jpg

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12881.jpg
Old 5th July 2010, 23:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

^^^
JLO engine. 35 cc. 7000 rpm. Competitor to the Villiers L35 engine.
Rallis had a kit for AutoRickshaws. That is what I think has been used here.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th July 2010, 21:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
JLO engine. 35 cc. 7000 rpm. Competitor to the Villiers L35 engine.
Rallis had a kit for AutoRickshaws. That is what I think has been used here.

Regards
Sutripta
Have to check about the Cubic capacity ( will do it in few weeks time),
These Engines were used to power CYCLE RICKSHAWS ( Human Pedaling Tricycles ) not in Tuk Tuk s ( Auto rickshaws)
@ Sutripta: As for any Engines, you can't just mention RPM, while describing Engine power characteristics. It must be (?) BHp @ (??) Rpm...
* I have seen these tiny 2 strokes can rev up to 18000 RPM at no-load conditions, if everything is working perfect.
any way will dig up the facts & figures of this TINY screamer soon
Old 7th July 2010, 20:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Have to check about the Cubic capacity ( will do it in few weeks time),
These Engines were used to power CYCLE RICKSHAWS ( Human Pedaling Tricycles ) not in Tuk Tuk s ( Auto rickshaws)
@ Sutripta: As for any Engines, you can't just mention RPM, while describing Engine power characteristics. It must be (?) BHp @ (??) Rpm...
* I have seen these tiny 2 strokes can rev up to 18000 RPM at no-load conditions, if everything is working perfect.
any way will dig up the facts & figures of this TINY screamer soon
You are right:- to power/ convert a cycle rickshaw to ...what?...

I think it was 1.7 bhp @7000 rpm. Don't quite remember the bhp figure, so did not mention it. Next time won't mention anything

Those 18000 rpm 2 strokes are not diesels (well, not SI) by any chance are they?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th July 2010, 21:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
You are right:- to power/ convert a cycle rickshaw to ...what?...

* Next time won't mention anything

**Those 18000 rpm 2 strokes are not diesels (well, not SI) by any chance are they?

Regards
Sutripta
* No Bro, you must not avoid or escape like that " any human being is like to learn things till his last day"...there is nothing wrong in sharing your knowledge with like minded guys at forum like t-bhp, this way we learn or teach facts.
actually I didn't understand what you mean, any way..:
I didn't say about DIESEL Engines ,yes there WAS 2 stroke's in diesel,.but rarely exists now.
SI - Think you mean to say " Compression Ignition" Engines, then it is CI not SI
Old 7th July 2010, 21:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't say about DIESEL Engines ,yes there WAS 2 stroke's in diesel,.but rarely exists now.
SI - Think you mean to say " Compression Ignition" Engines, then it is CI not SI
Actually diesel 2 strokes are common in industrial applications.

SI= Spark ignition. The cheapest model airplane engines are CI = "diesel" = Not SI

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th July 2010, 21:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have seen these engines powering bicycles and cycle rickshaws (I think ricks had slightly bigger engines) during my school days. They were less in status than Suvega / Luna, whose owners used to sneer at these cycles!

I am not sure about the cc of these engines, though they can't be 16 cc. I have read somewhere that a minimum of 28 cc is required to move the weight of a human being.

Last edited by Gansan : 7th July 2010 at 22:04.
Old 7th July 2010, 21:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK most Marine diesel engines and also Diesel locomotives are two strokes.
Old 7th July 2010, 21:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
AFAIK most Marine diesel engines and also Diesel locomotives are two strokes.
Yes, they are, because they are run mostly at low RPM conditions.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:08   #10
BHPian

A Home made 3 wheeler- Legally Valid @ Tamil Nadu

Think this thread will be the appropriate one ,to share a Home made 3 wheeler made in Coimbatore & legally allowed by the authorities in limited numbers on Trial & Test Basis.

Just today happen to see this Three wheeler ( yet to be named though) near a Corporation School, dropping children ( for free!!)
Technical: ( just by visual)
Made of square section steel pipes welded to a Suzuki Max 100 Front Fork & down tubes ( well aligned to the rear portion of the vehicle)
Just maintain g the exact rake angle, this kinda vehicle needs.( Confirmed by the Driver....he's comfortable with ergonomics )
They have planted a " Bajaj Chetak 150cc 2 stroke petrol engine" with 4 speed. directly drives the rear axle, hence the rear wheels.
The steering of Chetak again,...Brakes design was so poor ( even driver admitted this)
Engine location was so awkward, one should have long legs to kick start the engine.
Cost: *( driver's statement)
Comes around 45000 INR
Why legally allowed:( Driver's statement)
This Vehicle Should take part ( carry the propaganda literature ) in " Aids Awareness Program " for a stipulated Period ( may be for a year or two)
& @ School working days: he should pick up Children from near by villages for free!! (some sponsors pay for fuel & maintenance)
Attached Thumbnails
Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12946.jpg  

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12947.jpg  

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12948.jpg  

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12949.jpg  

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12950.jpg  

Rallis India fractional Horse power engines & Bi-cycles-sdc12951.jpg  

Old 7th July 2010, 22:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

I feel this is only a tad better than the infamous "Fish Carts" we see on the roads of Chennai. As for transporting school children in this contraption - may God look after them!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks