Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 17:12   #16
BHPian

Looks good! Lets hope that this will be a decent cruiser with the correct feel/looks/performance all thrown in. The 220 engine should be enough in the power front but I still feel that the size of the bike does not give the true blue cruiser look. Also wish that they had disc brakes on the rear as well.
Old 29th July 2010, 20:11   #17
BHPian

The Avenger upgrade had been due for such a long time. The price is great. Bajaj bikes have always been VFM. Wish i could afford to buy another bike now .
Old 29th July 2010, 21:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Is the engine retuned for better bottom end torque.

Cruisers needs a big lazy engine. Good move overall.
Old 29th July 2010, 21:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Decent looking, though IMO a cruiser in the 400cc range and above would make more sense ( and be a lot more fun for sure). A heavier/bulkier profile would do much better.
Old 30th July 2010, 02:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

This was bound to happen, I was expecting since the time they stopped P200 as it didnt make much sense for Bajaj to continue making 200 engine.

The Avenger series is slowly but steadily getting more power which one expects from a cruiser, so one can really tour in a relaxed manner with the A220.

Eagerly waiting for some ownership reports
Old 30th July 2010, 11:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is the engine retuned for better bottom end torque.

Cruisers needs a big lazy engine. Good move overall.
For some reason, they have lowered the bhp and torque with the same engine in the Pulsar 220 DTSi. You would have thought that they would not detune the engine for a Cruiser which is heavier. But, I think if you swap out the CDI and tune/change the carb, you should be able to get the same power as the Pulsar 220 DTSi.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
19.3 Horse vs 21PS on P220 -
17.2 NM@7000RPM vs 19.12@ 7000 RPM
I'm not happy with the figs; hope someone finds some way to increase the power or torque. But this is the only alternative as of now. Wondering why no other home manufacturer is even thinking of manufacturing a cruiser.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

@ Mahesh; try a RE C500 before you plunge.
JKay,

2 reasons:

1. All the issues from the absence of an O2 sensor documented in Randhawa's LTO.
2. The 8 month waiting list here !

Besides, I am not going to be using bike on highways. I dont want the extra power of a 500 cc to lurch between traffic jams !
Old 30th July 2010, 22:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You would have thought that they would not detune the engine for a Cruiser which is heavier. But, I think if you swap out the CDI and tune/change the carb, you should be able to get the same power as the Pulsar 220 DTSi.
Generally for curisers you need strong bottom end which means they use smaller carb+milder cams+more flywheel. We have to look at both the curves superimposed to see the effect. But it baffling because peak torque is still at 7000 rpms. Is it confirmed that carb is smaller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Besides, I am not going to be using bike on highways!
Welcome to the bikers club Maggie!
Old 1st August 2010, 10:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Generally for curisers you need strong bottom end which means they use smaller carb+milder cams+more flywheel. We have to look at both the curves superimposed to see the effect. But it baffling because peak torque is still at 7000 rpms. Is it confirmed that carb is smaller?
Given the lower volumes of the Pulsar, I doubt Bajaj would make any changes to the Engine/Critial engine parts like cams, flywheel etc. Given the total sales of the 220 engine, it doesn't make sense to add to their parts bin for a couple of thousand Avenger 220s.

I suspect that the power was lowered to keep the Avenger 220 DTSi as their flagship product. I also strongly believe that the cheapest way to do this is by altering the carb/CDI rather than make changes in cam/flywheel. But we can't know for sure unless we check the various part numbers for both 220 models and see the torque curve. If part numbers for both engine components are the same, we can confirm that there is no changes to the engine internals, which leaves only the Carb/CDI as the culprit for the decrease in power.
Old 1st August 2010, 15:31   #26
BHPian

saw this baby when i went to give my p220 for service last week at the Bajaj ProBiking Showroom in Adayar, Chennai.. doesnt look any different from the regular Avenger from what i could see, except the 220 labeling..
Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Avenger 220-dsc00418.jpg  

Avenger 220-dsc00419.jpg  

Avenger 220-dsc00420.jpg  

Old 27th August 2012, 12:46   #27

Re: Avenger 220

Hello Members,

I plan to buy Avenger 220 in a month's time. I just had a couple of queries, where i would need some opinion:

1. I am around 5'11 tall and weigh 85 kgs. Many ppl told me that avenger is not comfortable for tall people and would look too small on someone heavy and tall like me . Although, I really dont care much about the look, I just wanted to know would it pose much problems in terms of maneouvring in Mumbai traffic.

2. I dont intend to use it on a daily basis for commute to office. It's more for usage in spare time, as my car is used by my family many times, and I would take a bike somedays. Also, I travel out of Mumbai regularly for 2-3 months.I also heard that Bajaj has problems (starting and others), if unused for some time. I heard Honda and Yamaha are better in this aspect, which I also agree. But would it really cause too much of problems?

Thanks for your help guys!

Cheers!
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:27   #28
BHPian

Guys, suggestions needed for first bike..!

Planning to buy bike for daily commute to work (around 20 kms to & fro), 6 days a week and a once in a month weekend trip to Bangalore (about 90 kms to & fro from Hosur). Currently Avenger tops the list (to be frank only one on the list now); love its elegance.

Okay..here's the deal i got from Akash Bajaj Hosur.

Ex-showroom : 78,612/-
Road Tax (lifetime) : 6,688
Insurance (Reliance) : 1,901/- for 1 year.
Fitment Charges : 1,748/-

Total OTR : 88,949/-

No idea what the fitment charges mean.
Going to take a test-drive day after tomorrow. What do you guys think.. Is it worth it?
Old 2nd October 2012, 21:36   #29
BHPian

Although I still say that No one beats the elegance and looks of an Avenger.
But the ground reality is different:
1) A harsh ride on bad roads.
2) Bad pillion seat.
3) Problems with the gear shifts.
4) A long bike and could be a pain in traffic.
5) A half hearted cruiser so bad on flickability/handling and also fails in a very relaxed cruiser position and ride like the Thunder bird. Although far far reliable than Thunderbird.
Given the price close to 90k onroad, I would put some more money and go for the PULSAR 200 NS. No doubt its a far superior bike and worth every penny for a bike below 1 lakh.
I suggest you drive an Avenger for long and all sort of terrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power House View Post
Guys, suggestions needed for first bike..!

Planning to buy bike for daily commute to work (around 20 kms to & fro), 6 ....a test-drive day after tomorrow. What do you guys think.. Is it worth it?
Old 4th October 2012, 13:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
1) A harsh ride on bad roads.
2) Bad pillion seat.
3) Problems with the gear shifts.
4) A long bike and could be a pain in traffic.
5) A half hearted cruiser so bad on flickability/handling and also fails in a very relaxed cruiser position and ride like the Thunder bird.
Thnx Amit. Haven't took the TD yet. will check out your pointers during TD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks