Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I have missed this important point. I am very much on the healthier side So I am looking at little more power for my new bike. I live with a 12BHP one so 14 BHP doesn't seem too big for an upgrade. Also the waiting list story puts me off but the sheer smoothness of the bike made me consider it in my list.
And as I said previously I have ridden the RTR 160 twice before and I am OK with the driving position since I only use it for office trip and other saturday shopping trips.
Than you can go for the P150 as well. It looks good on healthy riders also (though it is my personal opinion only). I have one & it has always surprised me by the mileage that I get 55+ kmpl; & have exceeded 57K kms. Driven it to 110 few times, & generally ride in the RPM range 5-5.5K (approx 65-70 kmph).
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:26   #17
BHPian

Dear schumifan, I would also suggest you consider GS150R. Recently I purchased TVS wego. When we were doing TR for scooters before the purchase, i happened to be at suzuki showroom for access 125. While my wife took TR of access, i checked out GS and I was impressed. Especially the all black trim took my breath away. Fit n finish is also of high standard. I wasn't planning a bike initially but now I have decided to trade my P150 (disappointing experience) for the GS.
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Dear schumifan, I would also suggest you consider GS150R. Recently I purchased TVS wego. When we were doing TR for scooters before the purchase, i happened to be at suzuki showroom for access 125. While my wife took TR of access, i checked out GS and I was impressed. Especially the all black trim took my breath away. Fit n finish is also of high standard. I wasn't planning a bike initially but now I have decided to trade my P150 (disappointing experience) for the GS.
Thanks indianvirus! Seems like the GS has some following out here. I am certainly going to take a test-ride of it and see if it is suitable for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Than you can go for the P150 as well. It looks good on healthy riders also (though it is my personal opinion only). I have one & it has always surprised me by the mileage that I get 55+ kmpl; & have exceeded 57K kms. Driven it to 110 few times, & generally ride in the RPM range 5-5.5K (approx 65-70 kmph).
Thanks CARDEEP! But I am not really into Bajaj bikes. It hasn't got anything to do with the bike but every second person seems to have one. Also there is not much to differentiate between the various classes of pulsars available. Finally there are no service centers around my place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I disagree! They are here for the long haul, that is why they broke off with TVS and went alone, gifting the Fiero to TVS! They also seem to be bringing some synergy with their car operations - ABT Maruti is also a dealer for Suzuki bikes (though with a separate facility) in Chennai, and I am sure it is happening in other cities as well.

I would buy only the GS 150/Unicorn as my next bike. If I want a bigger one it will be the ZMA without a second thought.
I observed that too. ABT has both car and bike showroom of the same brand. I am certainly taking a TD to check the bike.

But as of now I am leaning towards the Dazzler. It has got less output but the presence of rear-disc brakes are pushing me towards it.

After years of living with a steel rimmed, drum braked bike, I am finally looking forward to more luxury in my bike
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
unicorn is a nice all rounder, and is very good for highway commute - if headlight is the only issue making you not to buy unicorn, you can easily upgrade the stock headlight to 50/55W bulb - it will give a better light output.
You can try the new dazzler - I am not sure how good the throw of the beam from the new shape headlight.

If you have ridden apache, and have no issues with the seating position, and if you like revving up your bike, then Apache is the bike for you.
well what little first hand experience i have, let me tell you, about the beam throw, the reflectors made by FIEM for bikes are one of the best, especially the round ones and all stock ones made by them are far better than stock ones made by LUMAX in terms of focus, throw and intensity spread done.

the F2 had it FX has it and so does the RTR. the Hondas and other use a Lumax one.

now that was one school of thought.

coming to your case, if you want the best intensity spread and throw of light, i suggest you get the round reflector from Fiem ( TVS star city, Fiero FX/MX champion) the clear lens one, this is the best alternative to eletrical upgrade and/or bulb upgrade.

Quote:
Also why is the Apache RTR 160( not the FI version) not listed in TVS website? But I am able to see it if I click on the FI bike and its micro-site.

I don't want to end up with a bike which is at its end of life. I have faced many issues because of this with my FieroF2. Anybody has any information on this?
the FI alone is discontinued, i haved confirmed news on the same mate, and done worry the RTR is no where near at its life's end, the only reason for shutting it was because they could not cater special service attention FI need at all service stations and few other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi SchumiFan

I would suggest the Dazzler to you. It is a new, plus lightweight & peppy bike.
But, do consider proximity of service centre when you make a decision.

Apache180's riding position is different from FieroF2's. Wonder whether you would be comfortable with that, otherwise it is good bike (though it would be expensive to run as compared to the Dazzler).

Now for the choice, i strongly suggest RTR against the unicorn Dazzler under the following considerations my thought mate, nothing against any one, just my opinions i am penning down.

the rtr 180 is a screamer, Dazzler is a muted underpowered machine (less powerful than CBZ xtreme ~ same engine)

RTR 180 and Dazzler will both give you almost the same mileage with may be the dazzler a little better by say not more than max 5kmpl.

has a Fiem reflector a very good one, Dazzler not so sure, and there is a successful eletrical upgrade done on RTR 180 and is working well, unicorn not sure at all, and spare by-god take it dazzler is going to be a lot lot more than a RTR's for sure.

The service cost are either same or RTR will cost marginally a little more very ignorable.

the resale honda scores here which is not a concern to you as you say.

the features and gadgets in RTR are many compared to Dazzler, man even bajaj gives a side stand indicator Hondas dont, just check the feature list on the net you will know.

My point is i have been a unicorn owner for a while now, and to me that 150cc is not worth the hype it has just for the muted engine and the fans claiming good FE rather astronomical FE figures at times, and unless you decide to rip the RTR on every ride it will not go below 40KMPL and on an average it will return 45kmpl+. Which is what Unicorn gives in the city +/-5kmpl say.

in essence for the sheer please of a bike pulling me away from the handle and the grin it would guarantee, i would pick up the RTR 180, only down side is its got TVS tyres (not bad at all IMHO).

Disclaimer:
no offence meant to anyone, just the words from the heart of a dissapointed ex-honda owner, i would rather pick up the RTR than the dazzler which i even may, just let me finish with a little home work pending.

Last edited by rider60 : 23rd July 2010 at 00:34.
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:35   #20
BHPian

Almost everyone have provided good points. Putting my 2 paise here.

I had narrowed down the RTR, Unicorn and GS150R for buying a bike and fortunately Bike India magazine had a review the very same month(May 2010) No matter what the journalists say, it's the test ride and the customer experience which makes you decide on a bike. I bought an RTR though the final verdict told that the GS150R came out on top

1. Based on the test ride of the bikes and as an owner of RTR Refresh, here is what I have to give you. The RTR is a very good machine. Light, powerful and complete raw power. Handling is the best in it's class. The next best handling which I found in this segment is the FZ, but you don't seem to have a liking for it. The fuel efficiency is decent. Gives me around 50kmpl and I rip rarely. It is real fun to ride this bike.

The downside of this machine is it lacks refinement. The gearbox is very notchy in the beginning and can easily get on your nerves in tight traffic. It tends to loosen up after few thousand kilometers. From past 500kms my rear disc is not as good as it was before. I have to really press hard to get the brakes engaged and slow down the bike. Can't depend on it to stop the bike. The SVC guys told that the brakes can't be adjusted in disc and nothing can be done. I suspect dirt build up on the brake pads and needs a good cleaning.

Spares are comparatively cheap and I have access to a good service center. So, nothing much to complain about here

2. Unicorn-Good commuter bike. Since it is Honda, refined engine, gearbox et al. Handling is good, but that's about it. Fuel efficiency is 60-70kmpl as I have heard. Some people tend to get as less as 55 as well. Not sure.

Downside is, this bike is no fun riding(atleast not for me), expensive spares and service. I would have probably bought this bike if the customer rep had not shown disgusting behavior. Whenever you step into a Honda showroom. They more or less know that you end up buying it. No one is ready to answer questions and they are all complete snobs

3. Suzuki GS-150R-Had heard a lot about this bike and I still don't see many on the road. Probably people are still apprehensive about this bike and it is a highly under-rated bike. I checked this bike out since my colleague bought one too and it exceeded my expectations. You have a ton of gizmos on the console, decent looks(love the tail lamp) and it feels very planted while riding. The refinement is as good as a Honda and the price is almost the same as the Unicorn. The bonus with this bike is the 6th gear which is perfect for cruising on highways.

Downside-Good looks, but not good enough. Handling needs to improve. Slightly high on the weight. I didn't find anything else bad in this.

Since you are a commuter and ride on highway, I would suggest to go for the GS-150R. Do check out the reviews here and on other sites. Try to go for 2-3 test rides before narrowing down.

Hope this helps
Old 24th July 2010, 17:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rider60 and rdna! I have booked the GS150R. I did a TD of that bike first and was very much impressed with its refinement. After living with my trusty FieroF2 all these years I never felt like I was riding a bike when I was riding the GS150R.

There are no irritating vibrations on the handlebar, but at around 200-3500 RPM there is some kind of swaying sensation with the engine. But the drive was awesome and the ride is superb.

The braking is spot on and there is a lot of torque in this bike. I was able to move the bike from standstill in 2nd gear itself. The engine didn't knock or die when I did that. Remember that this was with a pillion. So I am doubly happy.

Also I met another guy who did not own the bike but came to service his uncle's bike. He gave me a positive impression of the bike and said that it returned good mileage when driven sanely.

Honda people should learn a thing or two about customer relations.
After entering the showroom,

Me: I want to see the Unicorn
Customer Rep: No booking for Unicorn, sir.
Me: ok show me Dazzler.
Cust Rep: Shows the bike and leads me there. And says about certain features and then includes 45 days waiting days sir.
Me: Can I test-drive the bike?
Cust Rep: Sir it has gone out somewhere. ( Doesn't tell when it will be back)

I just said thanks and went back straight to Suzuki to book the bike.

If the cust rep had done the same for Unicorn I wouldn't have typed this, but I cannot understand their attitude.

Enough of my rant. I am very much happy with the GS150R and I have booked the Blue color. Delivery could be done on Friday after registration.

Only gripe is that the service station is a little far away from my house compared to others. But once I get on the bike all these are never in my memory.

I only hope my journey with the bike is a happy and safe one!

Thanks to everyone who guided me with their experience. I shall post some pictures and my first impressions of the bike once I get hold of mine.

Mods: Please edit the title with this line 'booked the GS150R'.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 24th July 2010 at 18:00.
Old 25th July 2010, 00:31   #22
BHPian

Congratulations SchumiFan!! The bluish-green is unique and looks a shade or two different in different lighting conditions. Honda will never improve when it comes to customer relations. They are happy about scaling figures as of now, but it will surely dwindle at the rate in which the customer reps handles.
Old 25th July 2010, 01:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Congratulations SchumiFan!! The bluish-green is unique and looks a shade or two different in different lighting conditions. Honda will never improve when it comes to customer relations. They are happy about scaling figures as of now, but it will surely dwindle at the rate in which the customer reps handles.
Thanks again rdna! I was intent on booking the Gray, but was not impressed with it in real life. Orange was ruled out, black was shot down because I already have a black colored bike and I am having a tough time maintaining it.

I love the color 'blue' and of all the bikes in the show-room only this was sparkling. So decided to go with it. Gray was very dull IMO.

I have decided against going for teflon-coating, anybody here recommend that treatment for the bike?

Also it would be great if someone can provide me with some information on things that need to be checked when I get hold of the bike. I would be going to select the bike on Monday/Tuesday.
It would be nice if we have some sort of PDI list like the one available for cars.
Old 25th July 2010, 07:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for your new bike! The GS150R is a nice all rounder.
Old 25th July 2010, 14:29   #25
BHPian

Congrats buddy on your new baby, I shall too join the gang within a month. (Just waiting for the monsoon to be over)
Old 25th July 2010, 16:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
T

Cust Rep: Shows the bike and leads me there. And says about certain features and then includes 45 days waiting days sir.
I got the same answer yesterday. I too test drove GS150R but was ruled out only because of a high pillion seat which my wife did not feel comfortable with. I agree with all your observations regarding the GS150. My heart wanted it moment I rode it. Ended up booking a Discover 150 after a TD of P150, Jive and Flame.

Congrats on the new buy!

Last edited by arsudarsan : 25th July 2010 at 16:49. Reason: Forgot to add congratulations.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:43   #27
BHPian

Hey schumi fan don't worry about the distance of the service center, the nearest service center to my place is almost 50kms, that still did not stop me from buying the GS, welcome to the GS club
Old 26th July 2010, 16:55   #28
BANNED

Welcome to the GS club. I also have the same bluish-green color.:-).
Old 26th July 2010, 17:00   #29
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks rider60 and rdna! I have booked the GS150R. I did a TD of that bike first and was very much impressed with its refinement. After living with my trusty FieroF2 all these years I never felt like I was riding a bike when I was riding the GS150R.

There are no irritating vibrations on the handlebar, but at around 200-3500 RPM there is some kind of swaying sensation with the engine. But the drive was awesome and the ride is superb.

The braking is spot on and there is a lot of torque in this bike. I was able to move the bike from standstill in 2nd gear itself. The engine didn't knock or die when I did that. Remember that this was with a pillion. So I am doubly happy.

Also I met another guy who did not own the bike but came to service his uncle's bike. He gave me a positive impression of the bike and said that it returned good mileage when driven sanely.

Honda people should learn a thing or two about customer relations.
After entering the showroom,

I just said thanks and went back straight to Suzuki to book the bike.

If the cust rep had done the same for Unicorn I wouldn't have typed this, but I cannot understand their attitude.

Enough of my rant. I am very much happy with the GS150R and I have booked the Blue color. Delivery could be done on Friday after registration.

Only gripe is that the service station is a little far away from my house compared to others. But once I get on the bike all these are never in my memory.

I only hope my journey with the bike is a happy and safe one!

Thanks to everyone who guided me with their experience. I shall post some pictures and my first impressions of the bike once I get hold of mine.

Mods: Please edit the title with this line 'booked the GS150R'.
Congrats schumifan for your new bike. I don't have much idea about GS150R, but seeing the replies here I can get an idea about it. Just curious, did you TD Apache? If yes, can you please compare it with GS?
Old 26th July 2010, 23:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulRahmanM View Post
Hey schumi fan don't worry about the distance of the service center, the nearest service center to my place is almost 50kms, that still did not stop me from buying the GS, welcome to the GS club
Thanks Abdul. I am getting the bike from Jains in pallavaram. I know that you got it from Guindy. But where do you service it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Welcome to the GS club. I also have the same bluish-green color.:-).
Thank you roadracer, do let me know about things that I need to check when I take the delivery of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
I got the same answer yesterday. I too test drove GS150R but was ruled out only because of a high pillion seat which my wife did not feel comfortable with. I agree with all your observations regarding the GS150. My heart wanted it moment I rode it. Ended up booking a Discover 150 after a TD of P150, Jive and Flame.

Congrats on the new buy!
The discover 150 is a good choice too. But you seem to have tested a wide range of bikes, mind sharing the reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Congrats buddy on your new baby, I shall too join the gang within a month. (Just waiting for the monsoon to be over)
Great! indianvirus, do get some snaps once you get the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Congrats for your new bike! The GS150R is a nice all rounder.
Gansan, you very much forced me into the TD of GS150R! thanks for that But I was going through XBHP and there seems to be some problems with rust in petrol tank in certain bikes. I asked about the same to the dealer and he said it has been taken care of. But I am still apprehensive. Hopefully there wouldn't be any issues with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gou View Post
Congrats schumifan for your new bike. I don't have much idea about GS150R, but seeing the replies here I can get an idea about it. Just curious, did you TD Apache? If yes, can you please compare it with GS?
I didn't take a TD of Apache160 because I was bowled over by the smoothness of the GS150R and I felt the Apache would never have this level of refinement.

When compared with my friend's bike (Apache 160 RTR first edition) the initial torque of GS150R 'feels' little less. I sense it could be because of the heaviness of the bike. The Apache hurries to greater speeds but the GS150R is no slow coach. It takes a little more time to move up the speed.

But the smoothness and refinement of GS150R will never be matched by Apache. Also the riding position was spot-on with GS150R, whereas I had to adjust to Apache's sporting position even though I was OK with it in some minutes of riding. The tank has been designed beautifully and is very much convenient to grip your thighs in it.

I felt the brakes of GS150R to be good but Apache's were better. But the type of rubber used would also have a say in braking. I am saying this because when I changed my rear tire of FieroF2 from TVS tires to MRF ZapperC, I felt the same brakes offering more bite and less skid.
Top speed would be better in the Apache. The GS150R will not give hair raising acceleration nor terrific top speeds but it has a good top-whack with decent acceleration and absolute smoothness plus a very decent mileage.

I am used to the mirrors of the FieroF2 and I felt them to be a bit small in the GS150R. It covered the road behind but I would have been more comfortable with a wider mirror.

Also does someone know what brand of disc brakes are used in the GS150R? I tried searching it but couldn't find it and the showroom people were of no help.

Finally I love the horns of the GS150R, loud and clear! I haven't yet received any information from the dealer regarding the bike. Hoping to get some good news tomorrow.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 26th July 2010 at 23:51.

Most Viewed