Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 07:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Gansan, you very much forced me into the TD of GS150R! thanks for that But I was going through XBHP and there seems to be some problems with rust in petrol tank in certain bikes. I asked about the same to the dealer and he said it has been taken care of. But I am still apprehensive. Hopefully there wouldn't be any issues with mine.
Hey, hey, I merely told you to go for a TD with an open mind! I have also read about the tank rusting issue earlier and that it has been resolved subsequently. It is mentioned in some thread here in TBHP as well. Before taking delivery of the bike take it outside in the sunlight, open the tank lid and inspect the inside. There should be very little petrol when you do this. See if the galvanisation is good and if there are any signs of rust. If there is, ask for a warranty replacement. I don't think there will be any issues.

I did a back to back TD of the RTR 180 (Satya Motors-Sanatorium)) and the GS150R (Jain's Suzuki-Pallavaram). I see you are taking delivery from Jain's, so I presume you live around this area? BTW I am from Chromepet.
Old 27th July 2010, 08:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Thanks Abdul. I am getting the bike from Jains in pallavaram. I know that you got it from Guindy. But where do you service it?

The discover 150 is a good choice too. But you seem to have tested a wide range of bikes, mind sharing the reason?
My TD was at Jains Pallavaram. I was given an offer of free insurance since I was ready to pay full amount in cash. Were you offered that as well? I was told that they get bikes delivered on 29th and 13th (if my memory is correct). Do check with them regarding that.

Tested a lot of bikes just to find out the one that suited me well.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

I am a old time biker with Super,Chetak,Yezdi,CD100, KB100 and splendor. I gave up driving bike since 20o2. Once again I would like to go for a bike. I am confused of Which one to Choose, I short listed Unicorn,Discover and Hero Honda. The main purpose is of total local marketing and drop some one to bus stop. Consider my age 62 for the model of the bike. Please propose a suitable two wheeler for me. I am totally out of touch in 2 wheeler area.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:32   #34
BHPian

Navan Sir, do checkout Discover DTS-si 100cc. A good bike which is excellent in all department including the VFM factor. Do checkout the specs and also do a TD.

Apart from that, you can also checkout Suzuki GS & Honda Unicon. But i read somwhere that GS is around 150 kgs which is on the heavier side.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

@ navan49
If your heart is on bikes, have a look at the Hero Honda Karizma, Suzuki GS150R
and the Honda Unicorn. If you really need a two wheeler for only short commutes like shopping trips to local market etc, have a look at the gear less scooters such as Suzuki Access 125 and Honda Activa. Very comfortable and practical, with oodles of luggage space under the seat and also in front!
Old 27th July 2010, 12:02   #36
BHPian

@SchumiFan - Hearty Congratulations on your new acquisition. GSR 150 is a very good bike. I recommended the same to one of my friends recently. Wishing you many happy miles of safe road munching.
PS: Hope you start an ownership & long term review thread of the bike once you get hold of the same. It will be helpful to many people.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:51   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Friends,

I am a old time biker with Super,Chetak,Yezdi,CD100, KB100 and splendor. I gave up driving bike since 20o2. Once again I would like to go for a bike. I am confused of Which one to Choose, I short listed Unicorn,Discover and Hero Honda. The main purpose is of total local marketing and drop some one to bus stop. Consider my age 62 for the model of the bike. Please propose a suitable two wheeler for me. I am totally out of touch in 2 wheeler area.
Hi Navan Sir, I would suggest a 100cc bike for you. Bajaj Discover or TVS JIVE. You could also think of going for a scooter if your trips are going to be short ones.
Old 27th July 2010, 15:22   #38
BHPian

@Schumi Fan, i Still get it serviced from SMK Suzuki Guindy, the same place i bought it from.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Hey, hey, I merely told you to go for a TD with an open mind! I have also read about the tank rusting issue earlier and that it has been resolved subsequently. It is mentioned in some thread here in TBHP as well. Before taking delivery of the bike take it outside in the sunlight, open the tank lid and inspect the inside. There should be very little petrol when you do this. See if the galvanisation is good and if there are any signs of rust. If there is, ask for a warranty replacement. I don't think there will be any issues.

I did a back to back TD of the RTR 180 (Satya Motors-Sanatorium)) and the GS150R (Jain's Suzuki-Pallavaram). I see you are taking delivery from Jain's, so I presume you live around this area? BTW I am from Chromepet.
Hey I was just kidding. I was eyeing the Suzuki ever since it was launched but their lack of presence in the market made me apprehensive. But the product seems to be good which is precisely what I want. I live near Urapakkam. My office is nearer to Chengalpet than Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
My TD was at Jains Pallavaram. I was given an offer of free insurance since I was ready to pay full amount in cash. Were you offered that as well? I was told that they get bikes delivered on 29th and 13th (if my memory is correct). Do check with them regarding that.

Tested a lot of bikes just to find out the one that suited me well.
Well, he told me about some insurance offer, but I didn't get it properly. Will check with him when I go to check the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Friends,

Navan sir I would request you to look at the Splendor with Alloy wheels. It is still the best 100cc bike in the market and when you are totally out of touch with bikes and only need a bike for those small errands, I guess a 100CC will do good.

Hero Honda will take good care of the service part and the bike is a gem. Else get yourself the Suzuki Access/ Honda Activa which will give you peace of mind in Chennai's mad traffic.

But take a Test drive to see if you are comfortable with the scooters. I don't like riding scooters because of the riding position. Keeps me cramped for space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
@SchumiFan - Hearty Congratulations on your new acquisition. GSR 150 is a very good bike. I recommended the same to one of my friends recently. Wishing you many happy miles of safe road munching.
PS: Hope you start an ownership & long term review thread of the bike once you get hold of the same. It will be helpful to many people.
Thanks Nutty Nair, I hope to give a long-term review of this bike and hopefully it will be full of positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulRahmanM View Post
@Schumi Fan, i Still get it serviced from SMK Suzuki Guindy, the same place i bought it from.
Should be a long journey just to get the bike serviced, then; but riding your favorite machine would make it all more pleasurable. Thanks for the review Abdul!
Old 1st August 2010, 03:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody know how to read the frame/chassis number in a bike? I mean how to interpret it and find its manufacturing date? I would be getting the bike on Tuesday.

The mouth of the petrol tank has already got rust in the yard. I couldn't check the other parts since the bike was parked last in the row with very little space between them. There is a customer feedback page in Suzuki's site, I have posted my opinion regarding this. Hope to get a positive response from them.

I wonder how such a big manufacturer could be so lethargic to quality issues on its bike. Their only saving grace is the smoothness of the bike with a decent mileage and the 6th gear.

Can't believe I would write this! Please tell me where in Chennai could I get a bottle of WD40? Will the Shell bunks stock them; I have seen a variety of car care products in their outlet but am not sure of WD40. Else suggest me some product to take care of rust in my 'NEW' bike.
Old 1st August 2010, 10:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

When did you notice this rust? If the bike is not yet registered in your name, ask for another bike and accept after a thorough inspection. Be ready to even forego your choice of color for this purpose. If it is already registered, raise a stink before taking delivery and ask for a tank replacement under warranty. Write a complaint letter and take their acknowledgement in a copy. If they refuse, send it to Suxuki under RPAD. Record the fact that there was rust at the time of taking delivery. Take the bike after photographing it in this condition at the show room, in any case.

Don't spray WD40 inside the tank, it will not help.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st August 2010 at 10:36.
Old 1st August 2010, 13:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
When did you notice this rust? If the bike is not yet registered in your name, ask for another bike and accept after a thorough inspection. Be ready to even forego your choice of color for this purpose. If it is already registered, raise a stink before taking delivery and ask for a tank replacement under warranty. Write a complaint letter and take their acknowledgement in a copy. If they refuse, send it to Suxuki under RPAD. Record the fact that there was rust at the time of taking delivery. Take the bike after photographing it in this condition at the show room, in any case.

Don't spray WD40 inside the tank, it will not help.
Thanks Gansan. Since I heard of these problem, I told them I need to check the bike before registering. The yard was very dark and thankfully I had my cell-phone with me. Took a couple of snaps with it and confirmed that there was a problem with the tank. The bike will be registered tomorrow. But the problem is I checked a couple of other bikes too and all had this problem in varying degree.

I usually believe what I get to be the best for me. Never have done this close inspection and stuff. But this is very hard to put it out of my mind.

I have already informed the guy who took payment from me regarding this problem. I am thinking of stopping the registration tomorrow and going to the showroom again on Tuesday to check the remaining bikes and get the bike whichever has less of this S**t. I must also get it confirmed that they will replace the tank under warranty and ask them to acknowledge it.

This is exactly the reason why I don't see much of the Suzukis on the road.
Old 1st August 2010, 18:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Just asked the dealer to stop the registration. Will check the bikes on Tuesday and decide on the least rotten one.
Old 1st August 2010, 19:22   #44
BHPian

Yes the rusting of the Tank is there. I had my tank replaced under warranty. Suzuki service is good. Just inform the dealer and they will replace the tank under warranty. Hope suzuki finds a permanent solution to this. The rusting occurs only at the mouth of the tank. Even the second tank which was replaced had started to rust. Already complained. Waiting for the new tank to arrive. Usually takes one week to arrive.
Apart from the tank, no other complaints. Completed 23,000 KMS. Steady milage of 52 Kms. Smooth Engine. Wish they had offered rear disc brake as option
Old 1st August 2010, 21:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Yes the rusting of the Tank is there. I had my tank replaced under warranty. Suzuki service is good. Just inform the dealer and they will replace the tank under warranty. Hope suzuki finds a permanent solution to this. The rusting occurs only at the mouth of the tank. Even the second tank which was replaced had started to rust. Already complained. Waiting for the new tank to arrive. Usually takes one week to arrive.
Apart from the tank, no other complaints. Completed 23,000 KMS. Steady milage of 52 Kms. Smooth Engine. Wish they had offered rear disc brake as option
Sarvodaya, thank goodness! I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this from a fellow GS owner. I know that the bike is a gem and that is why I am still waiting to go for it despite the rusting issues. But it has been quite sometime since this issue has been raised and I can't understand why on earth is Suzuki unable to get this rectified.

Beginning to look at bit like Tata (Tata lovers, please don't flame me, I love their car's VFM) who are ready to replace the part but are unable to fix the issue.
Also I am at loss to explain why the 'blue' is the one that is most affected. I saw a 'black' and 'orange' one but their tanks were not that affected like my 'blue'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks