Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 14:28   #16
BHPian

I had the same problem with my Eliminator few years back.

Had to replace the coil.

Dont know for what reason it use drive perfect but sometimes suddenly it use to stop... engine will be running but RPM will not go up even if u give full throttle.

Had taken it to bajaj service center but they had kept the bike for a month and could not resolve it.

A local mechanic near my house resolved it in no time.
Old 24th July 2010, 14:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

@Sinner - pls don't think too complex, its actually very simple. Do the simple test suggested, if it doesn't work, take it to PBK. If there's a problem with CDI, the vehicle wouldn't even start right?
Old 24th July 2010, 19:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Sinner - pls don't think too complex, its actually very simple. Do the simple test suggested, if it doesn't work, take it to PBK. If there's a problem with CDI, the vehicle wouldn't even start right?
Just got my bike back from PBK, Not sure what they did, but after keeping the bike for 5 days they said that the CDI was wet/had moisture so they cleaned (along with the usual "Carb Mai Kachara tha")

Straight out of the PBK i tried Opening the Lid, cleaning the dust and riding with the lid properly close.

Verdict... It runs fine , better acctually but its a little sluggish when accelerating. i'm goona ride a while before my next conclusion.

Wonder why PBK "Experts" couldn't think of that.

Thanks a lot guys.. You've been a great help.
Old 24th July 2010, 19:46   #19
BANNED

Glad to hear that bike is fine now.
Enjoy your ride :-)

Last edited by Sankar : 24th July 2010 at 19:48. Reason: problem solved so deleted a loong diagnostic post.
Old 24th July 2010, 20:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear the issue is resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
Verdict... It runs fine , better acctually but its a little sluggish when accelerating. i'm goona ride a while before my next conclusion.
Check if your cylinder heads gets quite heated up than normal, that could be a symptom for a lean mixture. Anyway keep riding for few more days & don't forget to check the color of spark plug, say after 300+ Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
Thanks a lot guys.. You've been a great help.
We work better than PBK 'cause we don'tve schedule, make money, not business, we help each other
Enjoy the ride, btw, what's the color of your Avenger? Black?
Old 24th July 2010, 21:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to hear the issue is resolved

Check if your cylinder heads gets quite heated up than normal, that could be a symptom for a lean mixture. Anyway keep riding for few more days & don't forget to check the color of spark plug, say after 300+ Kms.

We work better than PBK 'cause we don'tve schedule, make money, not business, we help each other
Enjoy the ride, btw, what's the color of your Avenger? Black?
Black Avenger it is yes. Sorry for another novice type question. What exactly should i be looking for while checking the color of the spark plug, if at all any help i'll try to put a picture of the spark plug in the current situation...
Old 24th July 2010, 23:56   #22
BHPian

The spark plug should be a healthy light brown, slightly dark is also ok. If it is black, it is running rich, if it is white with deposits, it is running lean. You might have to adjust your idling to get the right mixture.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:43   #23

First of all, thanks to everyone for helping us out You guys have solved the mystery that most of the so called bike mechanics and experts could not and would not have been able to solve.

The after story: We got the bike back from the great engineers of PBK. To begin with, they did nothing. The guy said that he had taken 2 test-drives and the bike was running fine. I heard the sound of the engine and realized that the bike was still the same. I even tried starting the bike and it was yelling out the same story.
We still took the bike and after that we tried opening the lid and closing it, and it seems to be working. However, we still need some more time and tries to come to a conclusion on that.

This is not all, yesterday bike's fuel was low, so it went into reserve and we took it to a petrol pump. After refueling, the bike wouldn't start. I got down and Sinner was struggling with the bike. Then we realized that the PBK 'Engineers' had put icing on the cake for us and that was, the fuel was leaking from the carburetor. Sinner realized the fault but we are yet to get it fixed (time constraint).

Those PBK people did not help us with the problem we had in the first place but have successfully managed to create more problems :(

Moral of the Story: Never ever take the bike to these PBK geniuses.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansha View Post
Then we realized that the PBK 'Engineers' had put icing on the cake for us and that was, the fuel was leaking from the carburetor.
I think its better to take it to PBK asap so that they fix their fault for free.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The spark plug should be a healthy light brown, slightly dark is also ok. If it is black, it is running rich, if it is white with deposits, it is running lean. You might have to adjust your idling to get the right mixture
+1

Quote:
Moral of the Story: Never ever take the bike to these PBK geniuses.
+1; get the workshop manual & starting doing it all by yourself after the warranty has been expired.

If someone tells me experience beats the ownership, then I beg to differ saying, passion beats the business. Be it PBK or non PBK, the way they remove the bolts & nuts is irritating; place the tools on the tank, side shields & damage the paints & what not?

One more tip - if the fuel level is half a tank or less, there're chances that this problem may not even appear in the first place. This is more likely to occur with full tank & high speeds (not necessarily 3 digits, even a 60-70Kmph is sufficient). Pls test this & let us know the outcome. Tks.

Last edited by aargee : 26th July 2010 at 13:38.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:48   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
@argee: Not necessarily. CDI is basically a small electronic circuit and like any electronic circuit, it doesn't have to fail completely. It can start showing symptoms by working or not working erratically.

@sinner: Sorry to say this, but I doubht it is a moisture issue. I feel your CDI unit will need to replaced eventually.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@argee: Not necessarily. CDI is basically a small electronic circuit and like any electronic circuit, it doesn't have to fail completely. It can start showing symptoms by working or not working erratically.
Agreed with you completely as I've experience this on my Activa.

I was overtaking a truck with my Wife as pillion & suddenly I lost the power & after which the scooter refused to start; and all these happens after a regular service & 1000 odd Kms. Then came home, got a new CDI & as a matter to test, started the scooter & it started fine. After that no issues with the existing CDI, I still keep the spare CDI & a screw driver for last 1000 odd Kms waiting to change once the OE CDI fails.

CDI costs a bomb & hence I suggested this fuel lid check initially as it costs nothing to eliminate this probability.
Old 16th August 2010, 22:33   #28
BHPian

So I’m back with my same old problem and sadly no solution.

Well after I got the bike back from the Bajaj Pro-biking, it initially ran fine for like 50 Odd Kms.. then I got the same Power Loss problem, and as suggested I opened the lid for a while, cleaned the tank rim, and started the bike, it ran bit better for a few KMs..

But the distance between the opening/closing of Lid kept reducing.
The current situation is that even if I run the bike with the LID open it doesn’t help...(Tried in Desperation).

So the question remains now… what could it be.
- CDI ? Any idea how much would 1 cost for a Avenger 180.
- Wrong Spark Plug ? Is it possible that Bajaj guys could have installed wrong set. More importantly could this cause the problem.
- Wearing out of clutch plates ?

Please Help ?
Old 16th August 2010, 23:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Which carb does the Avenger 180 have? My Bullet has the BS26 carb and I face similar problems with no solution.

I've changed the spark plug, plug cap and cleant the carb. My next step would be to replace either the ignition coil or the jets in the carb.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sorry that I couldn't reply last night as the power tripped off when I was replying.

What's the color of the plugs?
If possible, try swapping the ignition coil from a different Avenger & give a try. Before this, try checking how the sparks appear from the ignition coil.

And when you did this test on opening the lid, was the fuel almost full tank, mid or at bottom?

Most Viewed