Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:40   #1

Bajaj Avenger 180cc: Unresolving issue with acceleration (Not a carburetor problem)

I am not an expert with bikes so please ignore my novice writing and word usage. I honestly don’t know how to define the problem but I will put down all the facts

The problem is that the bike stops accelerating at a normal pace all of a sudden. It just won’t accelerate and starts acting like a truck trying to climb a hill. The problem is recurring and it usually gets fixed automatically and then recurs.

It is not a carburetor problem as the carburetor is cleaned by all the mechanics who have examined the bike and it doesn’t help. I think all that the mechanics know when it comes to acceleration is “Sir Carburetor mein kachra hai”, even if the owner of the vehicle is yelling at the top of his lungs that I have got the carburetor cleaned atleast a 100 times and it doesn’t help. It is some other problem.

Anyways, the bike has been serviced, spark plug is changed, carburetor including the air filter have been cleaned too many times, & it has a brand new battery now.

The bike has been giving problem for around 3-4 months now and no mechanic (including the probiking geeks) could fix the problem. Probiking mechanics diagnosed that it is a battery problem (What nonsense?) Anyways, we got the battery replaced coz that was also giving some other problems.

The bike has been with the Bajaj probiking guys for 2 weeks now, with no resolution. My husband is reaching a point, where he just wants to sell the bike but the bike is very dear to him (It’s his first bike that he purchased on his own). May be we will sell it in the near future but not like this.

Can anyone here help? Or give a name of an expert or mechanic who can help?

Last edited by Mansha : 23rd July 2010 at 11:52.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am a novice too, but could it be a problem with the clutch ?

Since the bike just stops accelerating and there is no stalling of the engine as such.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I am a novice too, but could it be a problem with the clutch ?

Since the bike just stops accelerating and there is no stalling of the engine as such.
The bike does not stop accelerating, the acceleration goes down to bare minimum (I guess the right term is engine stall).
Many a times we had to ride the bike with the choke on.

I guess we could get the clutch checked as well. Thanks a lot for the suggestion sajo.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ok, just check out if any of the following symptoms are applicable
1. The Engine shuts down after I ride for couple of kilometers
2. Engine losing all its power as if there is no fuel
3. Speedo showing good speed and then comes to halt; but then when started again and no problems

If the answer to any of the above is yes, nothing to panic; bring back the vehicle from Pro-biking & keep riding. Its the vaccum inside the fuel tank due to dirts in the cap holes preventing the entry of air when the fuel disperses. When one of the above symptoms shows up, just open up the fuel tank cap & close it. I'm damn sure it will ride as before.

Let me know the outcome.

Last edited by aargee : 23rd July 2010 at 12:25.
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:29   #5
BHPian

First of all thanks to my dear wife Mansha for posting this on TeamBHP i've been meaning to do this for quite some time but something or the other kept me occupied.

Let me try to give clear picture of what’s going wrong with the bike.

Usually this happens completely out of the blue.. i mean one minute the bike works perfect with acceleration and everything just perfect and the next minute if feels like I'm carrying tons of weight on the bike.

Different ways to explain the issue
1- The bike just wouldn't pick up. I have to engage the choke even to just move the bike for the first few meters on first gear.
2- When this problem is happening.. the bike just wouldn't go beyond 60Kmph that too with the choke engaged, and it would need a good enough empty 300-400 mts to get to that speed.
3- Feels like the bike is just not going beyond 2k - 3k RPMs.

Hope this explains the problem.

@ aargee : the 2nd condition apply in my case.. so i might try this when i get the bike back from Pro-Biking (Read : Truly useless) guys tomorrow.
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

* Have you checked the acclerator ?
* When this happens, is it possible to check acclerator play at the carb end ?
* When that happens, what is your rpm reading ? What is the rpm reading when you use the acclerator in such situations ?
* Smoke from exhaust in such situations ?

Last edited by condor : 23rd July 2010 at 15:42.
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check if it gets enough current for the sparks.

I had a similar situation on my A350, very similar. The issue was the alternator coil had burned and it wasnt doing its job once it got warmed up.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
* Have you checked the acclerator ?
Checked seems to be ok
Quote:
* When this happens, is it possible to check acclerator play at the carb end ?
I can try That.
Quote:
* When that happens, what is your rpm reading ? What is the rpm reading when you use the acclerator in such situations ?
Too bad i can't tell.. You see Avenger dosn't have an RMP Meter
Quote:
* Smoke from exhaust in such situations ?
No smoke What so ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Check if it gets enough current for the sparks.
I had a similar situation on my A350, very similar. The issue was the alternator coil had burned and it wasnt doing its job once it got warmed up.
I had given the bike to Pro Biking stating the same issue, but they are very confident that all the electricals are fine. :( i even asked them to check the complete wiring and rectifier , but they give the same responce (" sir electricals are all fine, Kacha hoga carb mai") and i say grrrrr
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sinner : Too bad i can't tell.. You see Avenger dosn't have an RMP Meter
How about the sound of the engine - is the revving sound matching with the vehicle speed, or does the engine seem to be revving at a higher speed than it should ?

Also ping Sankar, our fellow BHP-ian ... he should be able to add some good points here.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:26   #10
BHPian

Engine sounds very close to dying.. i have to keep the choke engaged to have the bike running.. :( thanks for the PM tough.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

When does this happen, after how many KMs or after how many mins of riding?

Next time when this happens, stop the bike open the fuel lid (keep it open) and ride. See if the bike runs well.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
1- The bike just wouldn't pick up. I have to engage the choke even to just move the bike for the first few meters on first gear.
2- When this problem is happening.. the bike just wouldn't go beyond 60Kmph that too with the choke engaged, and it would need a good enough empty 300-400 mts to get to that speed.
3- Feels like the bike is just not going beyond 2k - 3k RPMs.
And after all these issues, without you having to do anything, the motorcycle runs as if nothing happened; right?

If your answer is yes, look nothing further, just open & close the lid for the air to fill in the vaccum; avoid riding with the lid being open as you'll never experience the issue.
Old 24th July 2010, 04:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Please get your bike to a reliable mechanic

Here is one in Goregaon, give them a call before going.

1) Reddy : 9821208568
2) Janaradan: 9892825971

Bike Care Centre
B/49, 196, Old Siddharth Nagar, Road No. 2,
Opp. Sahara India, Goregaon (W),
Old 24th July 2010, 11:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Typically when something like this happens and the local dealer is not able to resolve, you should escalate to the company, Regional Customer Care managers. They may get someone from the factory involved.

I am guessing the Avenger has the CDI unit to control ignition. It could be a defective CDi has well that stops functioning properly sometimes. Ask dealer to swap out the CDI unit and see if this resolves the problem.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 24th July 2010 at 11:57.
Old 24th July 2010, 14:17   #15
BHPian

Thanks sankar and aargee, another question if its the problem with the Lid what would be the best resolution to this.

Also thanks Technocrat for the contact details... If the Lid thing doesn't work ( i hope it does) i'll take it to Reddy and Tonny Likes

@ 4X4 - Can a CDi unit give such issue even during the running of the bike.

Thanks guys for all your help. I Plan to get the bike out of Pro-biking today itself, If only it stops raining to heavily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks