Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 20:23   #1
BHPian

What motorcycle options available in the 1-2L OTR Range

Hello Guys!
I'm looking to buy my first bike and am pretty much set on getting the Dazzler but its really a compromise.
I can't seem to find a decent bike other than bullets in this price range.
After much searching I found the ideal bike for my budget, the Kinetic Comet but was disappointed to find that it has been discontinued.
Any bike I'm overlooking?
Is secondhand the way to go?
Should I settle for the Dazzler for now?
Your replies are much appreciated guys,please reply.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

If its performance you are looking for, then for around 1.1L on road you are getting the Yamaha R-15 which is your best bet this side of the Ninja. Have you considered it yet?
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:03   #3
BHPian

You could go for the R15. If you can wait, then either Bajaj or TVS might release their 250/200+cc bikes sooner or later, but then it's just speculation.

R15 is however, a good package.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Buy an R15 and a 350 Bullet. They will complement each other nicely.
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:06   #5
BHPian

Yes I'm looking for performance but I'm also looking for a very comfortable ride which is why I'm not considering the usual choices of Yamaha R-15,RTR 180,Pulsar 220 which i feel have powerful engines but have build quality the same as the bikes in the 70k to 1L range.
Is it possible guys,to buy a bike like R-15 and "mod" its suspension so its as comfortable or close to the Rs.3Lac Ninja ?
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun1 View Post
Yes I'm looking for performance but I'm also looking for a very comfortable ride which is why I'm not considering the usual choices of Yamaha R-15,RTR 180,Pulsar 220 which i feel have powerful engines but have build quality the same as the bikes in the 70k to 1L range.
Is it possible guys,to buy a bike like R-15 and "mod" its suspension so its as comfortable or close to the Rs.3Lac Ninja ?
Not sure what you mean by mod it close to the Ninja. The R15 is a capable bike on its own and has a very good suspension. Would you please explain what you found wrong with the suspension of R-15 and also in the build quality.

Sheel is the best person to answer regarding the R-15 as he tours a lot on it and you would get a first hand report.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

I have done rides on the 15, but haven't exceeded 500kms in one day.(hope to break it soon)

You can practically sit at 100kmph(below 110 if you want sane KMPL figs) all day w/o a hint of protest on bike's part. If you are regular at the gym(I am not), you shall enjoy the 15.

The suspension isn't in the league of Karzima/P-220(ride quality wise, handling is a different ballgame), but still is comfy for my needs.

Have a test-ride of your probables prior to picking up one. I for one can't go back to any other Motorcycle except 250R in the ~5L range(currently available options) as I prefer to ride/tour in a more sporty way.

If you are a guy who prefers GSX-1300R or ZZR-1400, you would be better with P-220/Karizma, but if you like 1000RR(S & CBR)/GSX-R-1000/ZX-10R you would be better off with a R15.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:32   #8
BHPian

@Sheel: i like the way you put it
not many options if you are specifically looking for 1-2 lacs budget.
new ones:
REs and R15 and nothing else on offer as of now AFAIK.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:43   #9
BHPian

I have to test drive a lot more bikes which hasn't been possible because of the rains here in Mumbai I'm just basing my opinions on the basis of all the reviews which is not the best way to go but...

I just have a general feel that bikes in the 70k to 100k range fall under one segment are more or less similar when it comes to suspension and smoothness of the ride,I wish I'm wrong though.
Which is why I was/still am on the look out for a bike which is a segment higher but within my budget or buy a sparingly used bike and swap its suspension for a better one.
Power is of lesser importance than comfort.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just have a general feel that bikes in the 70k to 100k range fall under one segment are more or less similar when it comes to suspension and smoothness of the ride,I wish I'm wrong though.

Power is of lesser importance than comfort.
Your wish has been answered!! The R-15 is different to the normal segment you are talking about in terms of build quality, technology, performance etc. But since you put comfort ahead of performance, it might not be a correct choice for you.

For comfort, RE is the way to go. Else you could check out the ZMR/P220 as they have very comfortable seating positions.

PS: It also depends on your definition of comfort. For me, sporty riding position of the RTR is very comfortable. I feel out of place riding commuter bikes/Unicorn (old)
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:51   #11
BHPian

Umm is comfort in riding position that important too? I didn't feel the need to specify but I should.I'll be driving 30-40km both up and down daily,60-70% will be on a long strech of road with no signals and minimal traffic.I don't call it a highway because the road quality isn't such.Which is why I want a bike that will smooth out the rough roads and bumps and make sure I don't feel any :-)
I have a feeling the R-15 is not the usual run of the mill bike because its "just" 150cc and has less power and torque than several of its competitors yet it costs a lot more.I really need to test drive it and can't wait for the rains to end!
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:47   #12
BHPian

As far as your budget is concerned if you want comfort,style,durability and performance go for the TBTS or Electra. You may also consider the CLASSICS. CL500 is a very good option but you'll have to wait.
First you have to prioritize what you want.
If comfort is top most then without a doubt RE.
Durability then also RE.......and so on and on........

On a serious note though, i commute daily for 60 kms and my UCE Electra is a breeze.If your commute consists of long stretches of empty roads then you'll enjoy it more than anything.Gives a pretty decent mileage of 40-43 kmpl.

But hey, i'm a THUMPER so you may find my opinion a bit partial.

Last edited by BIG SARAN : 3rd August 2010 at 22:51.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:10   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Umm is comfort in riding position that important too? I didn't feel the need to specify but I should.I'll be driving 30-40km both up and down daily,60-70% will be on a long strech of road with no signals and minimal traffic.I don't call it a highway because the road quality isn't such.Which is why I want a bike that will smooth out the rough roads and bumps and make sure I don't feel any :-)
What Motorcycles were you riding in the past?
What kind of a rider you are?
Would you be touring on the Motorcycle? Off-road or On it?
It shall help in determining your comfort level.
Quote:
I have a feeling the R-15 is not the usual run of the mill bike because its "just" 150cc and has less power and torque than several of its competitors yet it costs a lot more.I really need to test drive it and can't wait for the rains to end!
I had a Karizma and was/is regularly riding a P-220 when I TR the R15 and immediately knew within the 500mtrs that this is the one.

Post 6000rpm, she goes like a Diwali Rocket, It would be very hard for any Motorcycle(Indian) to catch an R15 on boil and it has posted(race spec) sub 2sec timings at the MMST, recent track tests(stock) show R15 being 3 secs faster per lap over its immediate competition(P-220/ZMR/RTR-180)
Old 6th August 2010, 17:46   #14
BHPian

If you beleive in customs, visit Anthony's garage in Santacruz(w). He's built a bike based on the 500cc AVL engine and scaled it to 600 + done up the entire bike in terms of parts and cosmetics - Quoting for 2lacs. Has the comfort of an RE and quite a distinct package for 2lacs. Do take some techie along with you to check the bike on the mods.
Old 6th August 2010, 22:03   #15
BHPian

Get an old Bull man. I mean the ones before 1980s. Or a Bullet 500. Get the real cast iron, not AVL or UCE. Classics, especially the 500 can be a pain in the rear. It's got lots of problems. Take the case of my friend's Classic 500.
He waited for nearly 6 months to get it. After just 4-5 months the bike started rusting!!!
Then the electric start button stopped working, then he found it difficult to kick start the bike-- he developed pain in his knee cos of trying to starting it. He had to replace it's motor also.
He can't even take it for long rides because of the uncomfortable seating position!!!
So finally he ended up paying near 1.5 lakh for a city commuter bike, with the same amount he could have bought atleast three sturdy Bullets.
Now about the AVL, it is a fine machine. But where would you get the spared. Bullet 500 spares are also difficult to find. But you will somehow manage to find them. You can even get it from the West where there are more CI 500s than 350. But in the case of CI 350 spares are not an issue at all.

Last edited by Leepower : 6th August 2010 at 22:08.

Most Viewed