Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 00:52   #46
BHPian

Re: TVS Wego, Review and Comparison with it's rivals.

Having been recently granted membership to this forum , i am using this particular thread to post my first post on this forum.

Having owned a TVS Wego for 2 years, my experience with it has been a pleasant one.

To will try to sum up my experience with the Wego in the next few paragraphs. The vehicle has done 7800 Kms to date and is due for it final free service from the manufacturer.

The vehicle has been giving me a mileage of 40 Kmpl in local running (journeys less than 10 km) and highway runs (journeys exceeding 10 km) coming up to a more than 50 Kmpl mark. These figures are based on a tankful to tankful basis and have been tabulated right from the time the vehicle was purchased.

There have a few problems such as abrupt stoppage when idling, having to replace the speedometer/odometer cable once but besides that it has been pretty smooth running.

I am pretty meticulous with how i use the vehicle and at a later time will try to share further details regarding my experiences.
AlphaLamb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 01:17   #47

Now here is something that I'm sure none of you must've ever heard of...

A RAT ATE THE PETROL TANK on my Wego!!!

This is no joke. It was the very first week after I bought the scoot. I left for classes in the morning. After riding upto the main road, the scooter stopped all of a sudden, without any warning, and just refused to start. A closer inspection revealed that the fuel needle was pointing to the E mark. Assuming it to be an indicator malfunction, I continued to kick-start, but to no avail. And when I opened the filler lid, my fears were realized as there was'nt a drop of petrol to be seen in the tank.

I pushed her to the nearest petrol pump. When the pump guy started filling the fuel, it started leaking and all the fuel gushed out through the rear, near the license-plate. Utterly bewildered, somehow I got her home and called up the TVS service center. I told them that the fuel as leaking out of the tank. Now the Wego's tank is made up of plastic, and is visible if you bend under the scooter. When the mechanic came to pick up the scoot, he ducked under the scooter with a torch, and found two places where the scratch marks of a rat's teeth were clearly visible... That was where the fuel was leaking from. He said this was the first time that he had received such a complaint, and that rats messing up with the wiring was common, but never with the fuel tank.

Of course they charged me for the new fuel tank. I got the nibbled up tank as a souvenir to keep.

Now my Wego has clocked around 1.5K, and except for that incidence, there have been no problems whatsoever. The ride-quality is excellent and the handling is to die for!

Just a few questions:

1) I've been getting a rather low FE, even after the first 1000 kms. I got only around 37-39 kmpl. (purely city-riding). Being a mileage freak, I consciously turn off the engine at long signals, still such low figures. I think the problem might be with my idling-screw setting. I'd tweaked it around a bit after the servicing. Can someone please tell me what is the ideal setting there??

2) Any one tried any body art/aesthetic mods on the Wego yet? I'm planning to do some...
Old 6th May 2013, 20:32   #48
BHPian

Jatin, welcome to the Wego tasted by rats club.

I end up saying so because i have 3 instances where the rats have taken a shine to the wiring on my Wego and three different places (under the foot rest area, headlight area and around the ignition) but you definitely have the crown with the Petrol Tank itself.

I have read on one of the other threads on this forum, where Wego owners have mentioned about their Wego having been chosen by rats for a feast.

Dont know if TVS uses some kind of material/plastics that calls out to the rats but then i can understand the helplessness you must be feeling over this.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesign View Post
Comparison:

I could go on and on with the comparison, so I will make it short as possible.

The ride quality is better than any other scooter in it's segment, the suspension when coupled up with the seat really gives off a smooth ride.

The Dio, is much more sportier when it comes to handling, and The Activa has a more planted and comfortable ride. Wego has both.

The Wego fails in one thing, and that is the top speed.

The Dio and Activa can easily hit around 75-80kmph, and the Access hits around 92kmph.

Wego falls short with 75kmph.

When it comes to looks, Dio is the funky new thing, Activa is more sober and utilitarian, and the same goes for the Access. The Wego, once again is a mix of both worlds.

I really suggest you take a test drive to make your opinion. Because after the test drive, you will know for sure if this scooter is for you.

Because as it turns out, this one is just my type.
When I was contemplating on writing a review for my Wego, saw this one. When I agree with most of the points (planning to write my ownership report sooner), I disagree on this point. I am not sure about what it says in paper, but I have driven it to 85 kmph without any trouble. Even yesterday my Wego smoothly reached 80kmph in very less time (did not note it down). However I would not say its as planted as my Honda Shine (different beast altogether) and brakes effectively (drum brakes could be the reason, besides the tyres). The disadvantage I see is only on the tyres and braking. In terms of performance or acceleration or top speed, I don't think its anyway lesser to the competition.

Last edited by Crank : 28th June 2013 at 11:17. Reason: Quoting corrected
Old 28th June 2013, 20:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
When I was contemplating on writing a review for my Wego, saw this one. When I agree with most of the points (planning to write my ownership report sooner), I disagree on this point. I am not sure about what it says in paper, but I have driven it to 85 kmph without any trouble. Even yesterday my Wego smoothly reached 80kmph in very less time (did not note it down). However I would not say its as planted as my Honda Shine (different beast altogether) and brakes effectively (drum brakes could be the reason, besides the tyres). The disadvantage I see is only on the tyres and braking. In terms of performance or acceleration or top speed, I don't think its anyway lesser to the competition.
The braking is taken care of by the new disc brakes. But how are the tyres a disadvantage to you? I feel the tyres are what adds to the advantage of the scooter and in addition to the telescopic forks, the ride quality is excellent.

Prajwal
Old 29th June 2013, 22:45   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
The braking is taken care of by the new disc brakes. But how are the tyres a disadvantage to you? I feel the tyres are what adds to the advantage of the scooter and in addition to the telescopic forks, the ride quality is excellent.

Prajwal
Correct, the new version comes with disc brakes. Mine is almost 6 months old and it came with drum brakes. Tyres are good till 40-60 kmph. Beyond that road grip is less. And if the roads are slippery due to sand or water then its even more dangerous. Basically at high speeds the tyres are not that confidence inspiring.
Old 30th June 2013, 00:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Correct, the new version comes with disc brakes. Mine is almost 6 months old and it came with drum brakes. Tyres are good till 40-60 kmph. Beyond that road grip is less. And if the roads are slippery due to sand or water then its even more dangerous. Basically at high speeds the tyres are not that confidence inspiring.
I have a 2.5 year old wego and the scooter does 》70 kmph regularly. I have taken the Aviator also at such speeds. Any scooter with small wheels will feel unstable due to the type of chassis they r built on.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, have much larger wheels and better chassis design to take on higher speeds. This is an unfair comparison. Scooters are stable at lower speeds. Wego is far more stable than the other scoots in the market presently.

Prajwal
Old 1st July 2013, 16:42   #53
BHPian

Does anybody have any idea about fitting a disc brake to older Wegos? I'm contemplating such a move. It's not that my Wego has bad brakes, but once you're accustomed to the manic bite of a disc brake (in my case, a Pulsar), it's hard not to miss it.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLamb View Post
The vehicle has been giving me a mileage of 40 Kmpl in local running (journeys less than 10 km) and highway runs (journeys exceeding 10 km) coming up to a more than 50 Kmpl mark. These figures are based on a tankful to tankful basis and have been tabulated right from the time the vehicle was purchased.
My Wego's fuel economy is around 55kmpl. The run is a mixed bag - short hauls as well as long ones (using your definitions). However its based on E mark. How do you stop filling at tank full? Is it the same as in a car? I am asking this as once it spilled due to the tank getting filled up during a fill up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I have a 2.5 year old wego and the scooter does 》70 kmph regularly. I have taken the Aviator also at such speeds. Any scooter with small wheels will feel unstable due to the type of chassis they r built on.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, have much larger wheels and better chassis design to take on higher speeds. This is an unfair comparison. Scooters are stable at lower speeds. Wego is far more stable than the other scoots in the market presently.

Prajwal
Not sure about the aviator or other scooters in the segment. Anyway will take your word for that :-)

Last edited by Crank : 5th July 2013 at 14:40.
Old 5th July 2013, 15:04   #55
BANNED

How can we get tubeless tyres in wego ?Does Wego/ Scooty come with optional tubeless tyres from factory.
Old 5th July 2013, 17:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
My Wego's fuel economy is around 55kmpl. The run is a mixed bag - short hauls as well as long ones (using your definitions). However its based on E mark. How do you stop filling at tank full? Is it the same as in a car? I am asking this as once it spilled due to the tank getting filled up during a fill up.

Not sure about the aviator or other scooters in the segment. Anyway will take your word for that :-)

Crank,

I need to correct myself on using the term tankful.

Let me state how i go about refueling, when refueling my Wego, i make a note of the amount of fuel dispensed by the petrol dispenser (i am taking the fuel pump figures as shown on the digital displays) and base my calculation on those figures.

So doing a tankful to tankful as in a 4 wheeler would probably be a difficult exercise as illustrated by your example.
Old 8th July 2013, 08:21   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
How can we get tubeless tyres in wego ?Does Wego/ Scooty come with optional tubeless tyres from factory.
Wego comes with tubeless tyres. Not sure about the question. Are you talking about replacing a faulty tubeless tyre with a new tubeless tyre? If so, please check with your TVS dealer. In Chennai, its available with all TVS dealers.
Old 12th November 2013, 14:57   #58
BHPian

Orderd myself a TVS Wego in Cappucino Brown shade yesterday. Will get delivery before this weekend. Can't wait to lay my hands on this beauty.

Have ordered all the accessories to be fitted before the delivery: Front and rear guards, front wheel guard, mud guards, handle grip, seat cover, and helmet lock.

Bargained hard and got a helmet for free, which will be given at the time of delivery.
Old 16th November 2013, 17:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Orderd myself a TVS Wego in Cappucino Brown shade yesterday. Will get delivery before this weekend. Can't wait to lay my hands on this beauty.
could you share the on road price? I got a quote from a dealer in North Bangalore today for a wego std edition (no discs) - the ex showroom price according to them is Rs. 50,215 which seems to be significantly higher than what is mentioned in wego's website (Rs. 48,712).
Old 30th May 2014, 10:46   #60
Team-BHP Support

TVS has launched an updated version of the Wego at a price of Rs. 46,410/- (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Link to Team-BHP News Article

TVS Wego, Review and Comparison with it's rivals.-2014-wego-2.jpg
TVS Wego, Review and Comparison with it's rivals.-2014-wego-1.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks