Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:44   #1

TVS Wego, Review and Comparison with it's rivals.

Soon as i got the green light to get myself a scooter, countless hours were spent on reading online reviews of the Honda Dio,Activa, and not to forget the Suzuki Access too. I was opting for the Dio. Being a college student, The Dio had all the sporty flair that a guy like me would go for. But then my Dad asked me if I heard of the Wego. All I gave back in return was a look of complete confusion.

After a little visit to the TVS website, my curiosity for this little hidden wonder in a market of such giants as Honda and Suzuki, started to grow. It was tough finding a comprehensive review, and even on youtube there was only one review done by Overdrive. So what did i do?

One test drive, a month, and roughly Rs.50,689 later. I got myself one.

Right, so now to some facts and figures.

Engine:
At the TVS Wego's heart lies a 110cc (actually 109.7, but who cares?) 4 stroke air cooled engine, which is also present in the Jive.
It pumps 8BHP @ 7500 and 8Nm of Torque.

There is an electric starter, and a kicker too incase you get nostalgic of the scooters of years ago, or incase you dislike buttons.

It's top speed in the manual is "around 78kmph", but im guessing it would hit 68-75kmph.

The engine is really refined, the power delivery in the start is smooth and fast, but the power eventually wears off as you reach higher speeds. Since the scooter was designed for stop & go traffic, it's pickup is really good.

Chassis:

Well to start this off, I shall talk about the styling first.
It's simple, yet there are attention to detail here and there. The front looks aggressive and angular, The two slits on the between the parking lights make a good touch and adds a sinister profile. The rear of the bike is simple yet retaining a contemporary look, they did not over do with details on the back. Another thing is the TVS Body Balance Technology. TVS worked hard making the Wego as stable as possible. And after shifting the center of gravity more to the front, this in turn really helps in handling. The wobble of carrying a pillion is drastically reduced, making riding the Wego real comfortable.

Now back to the facts

It has a metal body,

Ground clearance is at 132mm, and it has a kerb weight of 108kg.

Suspension, Tyres and Brakes:

Front Suspension is a Hydraulic Telescopic type, and the rear sports gas filled hydraulic dampers (The same that you would get on a bike.)

You get 12' alloys both front and back for the Wego, and you get them with drum brakes. The large tyres prove a purpose and also add aesthetic value.

The suspension in this bike really glides over bumps and potholes better than any other scooter i have ridden. Braking too is stable thanks to the front telescopic suspension.

Fuel Capacity:
5 liters including reserve. Once you hit the red mark on your fuel gauge. You have around 1.5ltrs to find the nearest petrol station.

Electricals:

The usual Halogen bulb fitted, multi reflector head lamp is there, but the tail lamp has LED's and it makes it look awesome.

Batteries are maintenance free.

Features that might interest you:

The Wego has external fuel filling, so gone are the days of lifting your seat.

It comes with the TVS patented 'EZ Center Stand", which makes it so much easier to put your scooter on the center stand. The TVS website for the Wego claims a 30% mechanical advantage because of this, and trust me it works like a dream. Especially for a guy like me, since my body structure is that of a twig.

The seat and fuel tank lock is combined, which makes it easy to do what you need to without moving your keys here and there. With the key in the lock, turn it left to open the fuel cap, and right to unlock the seat.

Around the ignition lock, they kept a 'Glow Ring'.

The Storage is fairly large, and i was able to fit my full face helmet in there.

The Wego comes standard with a utility box too up front.

And if you want a Wego with all the bells and whistles, you can opt for the socket mobile charger under the seat.

The Seat is REALLY comfortable, and it helps with the overall ride quality.

Comparison:

I could go on and on with the comparison, so I will make it short as possible.

The ride quality is better than any other scooter in it's segment, the suspension when coupled up with the seat really gives off a smooth ride.

The Dio, is much more sportier when it comes to handling, and The Activa has a more planted and comfortable ride. Wego has both.

The Wego fails in one thing, and that is the top speed.

The Dio and Activa can easily hit around 75-80kmph, and the Access hits around 92kmph.

Wego falls short with 75kmph.

When it comes to looks, Dio is the funky new thing, Activa is more sober and utilitarian, and the same goes for the Access. The Wego, once again is a mix of both worlds.

I really suggest you take a test drive to make your opinion. Because after the test drive, you will know for sure if this scooter is for you.

Because as it turns out, this one is just my type.
thesign is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 13:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good comprehensive review mate!

Saw a white wego on the road today. It looked really small and a tad bigger than the scooty thats all. How do you find it in terms of size in comparison to Dio and Activa?
Old 4th August 2010, 14:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice ownership review.
and seems that you are very happy and enjoying the ride!!
+
as you said the scooter has got a self starter and kick starter, suggest you keep it a point to kick start when on cold starting i.e daily morning or whenever starting the scooter first time after a long gap.
All the best.

Last edited by nairrk : 4th August 2010 at 14:08.
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 14:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

@thesign,

Congrats on the new scooter. it seems you are enjoying your ride, continue doing so. A few queries of mine to your post in the gearless scooter thread are to be answered, pls do so.
Pls posts some pics of the Wego. What colourn did you choose?
How come with 12" alloys the GC is lesser than Activa or Access?
Old 4th August 2010, 15:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Am fairly sure when the Wego was being tested before launch, two of the test drivers overtook comfortably when I was doing about 85 kmph in my car, not sure how and why have they compromised on the top speed.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new steed. Have miles of fun together.

But at Rs. 50k, i feel it is a bit overpriced. I found access 125 better than Wego and it cost ~Rs 40k. Though it is a segment above i would say in terms of size, power. Anyways, let bygones be bygones and enjoy your ride with fullest.

Always wear a helmet and drive safe.
Old 4th August 2010, 16:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

But at Rs. 50k, i feel it is a bit overpriced. I found access 125 better than Wego and it cost ~Rs 40k. Though it is a segment above i would say in terms of size, power. Anyways, let bygones be bygones and enjoy your ride with fullest.

Even the Access costs Rs 53K on road now in Hyderabad---so both are priced around the same.

I will TD a Wego soon and post my views. It was nice to read this review on the Wego---perhaps the first in this forum.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Am fairly sure when the Wego was being tested before launch, two of the test drivers overtook comfortably when I was doing about 85 kmph in my car, not sure how and why have they compromised on the top speed.

85? wow. Even the showroom people told me that it would hit 70-75. Once 1000kms are done on the Wego, I shall see how fast it can go. I am guessing the speed compromise maybe because they tuned the engine to give out more torque, the upside of this is that it would accelerate faster, and the downside would be the lower top speed.

Because the top speed of any vehicle is dependent on these factors.

1) Wind resistance. If there is too much wind blowing, and the aerodynamics are inefficient, this will cause drag and slow the machine down.

2) Rider weight. If u see in moto GP, all the riders are as thin as they could be, because weight also has an effect on top speed. So if a really plump man would ride a bike, it would attain a lesser top speed, than if driven by a skinny fellow.

3) Amount of fuel in the tank. This also adds weight, so depending whether your riding on a full tank or not, would affect how fast you go.

After my first service I shall give a full report, because as of now I cannot pass 50kmph -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

50k is the price of it in Bangalore, in places like Kerala it would be around 44-47, check out your local dealer and see whats the price difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@thesign,

Congrats on the new scooter. it seems you are enjoying your ride, continue doing so. A few queries of mine to your post in the gearless scooter thread are to be answered, pls do so.
Pls posts some pics of the Wego. What colourn did you choose?
How come with 12" alloys the GC is lesser than Activa or Access?

I shall take pictures soon, and I got the black one, and as for the 12" alloys, the Activa would give around 35kmpl, the thing is companies usually boast about the mileage. But it all depends on how you drive. On a road test done on Overdrive, the Activa just stopped around 6-10 feet away from the Wego after driving around with just one liter of petrol. I am not sure of the Access though, considering the fact it has a 125cc engine, I am guessing the Wego would be more fuel efficient. The dealer in the showroom told me to expect 40-45kmpl as long as I drive "economically".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Even the Access costs Rs 53K on road now in Hyderabad---so both are priced around the same.

I will TD a Wego soon and post my views. It was nice to read this review on the Wego---perhaps the first in this forum.
thank you vnabhi, Im glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th August 2010 at 16:46. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

I just got back from the TVS dealer and was disappointed that they do not have a TD vehicle yet--i believe it will come in a day or two.

There was a single Wego on display and I really liked its angular looks and the alloy wheels.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:25   #10

Once you do get to test drive, do let me know what you think.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:47   #11
BHPian

Interesting read . I was thinking of writing a ownership review myself . I bought the Wego last week . A white coloured one . Though the finish of the panel just below the tail light is not the best . But the 12 inch alloys , the handling , the pickup is absolutely amazing . I have a RTR 160 and i just wanted to stick to TVS after having 3 wonderful years with my RTR . NOt a single problem with the RTR till date . Ofcourse i did my bit of maintaining the beast and it did its bit by behaving and being faithful and not letting me down .

The New Wego had caught my fancy when it was launched and I had made up my mind to buy one when it would be available .

Am happy with my RTR and my punto and with my Wego
Old 5th August 2010, 09:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

@thesign, gautam

Was the low GC of 132 mm turn off in comparison against other scooters? how was the response over speed breaker and on potholed roads? Any chances of bottom scraping?
Activa has 145 whereas the Access has 160mm ground clearance.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:45   #13
BHPian

Most important question

That was a nice review, good work. Do post some pictures and even videos. We are looking out for a scooter for my dad. HE has been using a Activa for about 5 years and its showing its age - low milage, kaput suspension. Wego will be the replacement for it offers the best ride and ease of handling, the top two requirements for my Dad. Now as a desi , I should ask you this- Whats the milage?
Old 5th August 2010, 18:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@thesign, gautam

Was the low GC of 132 mm turn off in comparison against other scooters? how was the response over speed breaker and on potholed roads? Any chances of bottom scraping?
Activa has 145 whereas the Access has 160mm ground clearance.
I have drove around shivaji nagar and tasker town, lot of pot holes here and there, but the suspension takes care of it, it has not bottomed out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmachinE View Post
That was a nice review, good work. Do post some pictures and even videos. We are looking out for a scooter for my dad. HE has been using a Activa for about 5 years and its showing its age - low milage, kaput suspension. Wego will be the replacement for it offers the best ride and ease of handling, the top two requirements for my Dad. Now as a desi , I should ask you this- Whats the milage?

hahah, im not sure of the mileage, but im guessing 40-45kmpl if you drive sensibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmachinE View Post
whoops i posted a wrong mileage is around 5kmpl, sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th August 2010 at 18:38. Reason: Back to back posts, please wait for Mod approval to EDIT the original post while you wait for posting rights. Thanks
Old 5th August 2010, 18:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesign View Post
50k is the price of it in Bangalore, in places like Kerala it would be around 44-47, check out your local dealer and see whats the price difference.
I am sorry, it was ~Rs 45.2k. My mistake. With accessories i got it for Rs. 46.4k. Though when we bought it, Wego wasn't launched, but on comparing with activa, dio and the likes, we did find access better.

Anyways, its your ride, so please enjoy and drive safe. Do keep updating, we may soon be looking for scooty replacement so we may give Wego a shot.

Last edited by chevelle : 5th August 2010 at 18:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks