Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2010, 10:51   #1
BHPian

My Bull the RE500CL(green)has landed

i previously owned Yamaha FZ 16 but my driver made it hell to ride as he took my bike from MP to Rajasthan and don't know how engine oil burnt and then it was miserable to ride.

So i sold it and planned to buy a new bike i almost drove/owned all bike in that segment like avenger,R15,Pulsar220 then at that duration new upgraded karizma landed and then the new CL350,500 was also launced i think the month was november.
As a single son mom was worried about my two wheeler wish as the traffic in indore is worst and always prone to have accident,mom was ready to for karizma but was not for RE coz evereybody thinks its a heavy bike and our neighbour also owned 60's bullet and one incident with him feared mom the same that would occur with me(actually that uncle was kicking the bike to start it was cold winter,so it was not starting ,bymistake he kicked when he was bent and his face was near the thigh and due to reflex of kick he was hurted so badly that almost his jaws broke and had severe bleeding).

Then i convinced her that new RE have almost completely changed with electric self start option,lesser kerb weight,more ride to fun.

We planned to buy 350CL(silver)and got booking done here in indore and the waiting period was of 2 months,i was happy to have my dream come true but suddenly my uncle in usa expired and i had to goto usa for 3 months during that duration my bike got ready for delivery and it was uncertain when will i return so the dealer sold that bike to someone.

When i returned back in april i found that company had closed the booking of 350CL and i was shocked and frankly speaking shouted uncle internally had he had to die at that duration i know i was wrong

Then almost dropped plan to buy a RE was the waiting period was too high,but then suddenly i was passing thru AB road where i saw new dealership opening for the same.
As a ray of hope i went to the showroom asking about the booking of 350CL and saw a small fight between the dealer and a customer who had his delivery of 500CL(Green) and was refusing to buy as he had his money arrangement gone wrong then suddenly in my mind it clicked why not to try hands on 500.
I drove and then i got crazy about the bike and convinced my self to have some money added and to have bull(i call it as bull)

After all formalities done dealer handed over the bike to me and i was happy go lucky to drive back at home where all looked at me like i was a alien in between them(secretly i wished to had black one but didnt had option so took green one, till now admire the black one)
All was well for the week then suddenly...................

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th August 2010 at 17:38. Reason: TBHP rules permit 2 smileys max per post. Please make sure you read the rules before continuing. Thanks.
Old 8th August 2010, 15:54   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase - Pictures would make the presence felt more. You are lucky to own the Bike and that with so less waiting period.

Happy motoring
Old 8th August 2010, 16:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Pratik!

Congratulations on the purchase mate. Wish you many happy miles!

A more detailed report awaited with loads of pics!
Old 8th August 2010, 17:02   #4
BHPian

I upgraded to optional offroad silencer,while i was driving i saw dense smoke coming out of the silencer and smelled some petrol smell near the silencer.

i went to the dealer he said its normal with the new bike,then suddenly battery started draining and din't take self so i again went to the dealer and he checked and replaced the battery

Then after i started feeling hickups in the bike while i was driving and even while giving acceleration i felt it was not giving proper response so i again rushed to the dealerafter that he found bike was consuming too much of oil so the odo was 345kms so they thought after servicing this issue might get solved.

After 1st servicing bike started getting over heated and the problem increased rapidly so i went and fought at dealership else dealer and staff are co-operative as they are new so they lacked parts and other stuffs.

Then i personally called up the area sales manager to look into it they told me to leave the bike at showroom and they would look into it.

After 3 days i gotta call that bike is done and tuned i will have no problems,but was still afraid in heart if it will repeat so but took the bike with hesitation,and my worries stood justified it started giving the same problem with higher intensities so i again rushed to dealer and took him on drive and expalined the problems in depth thenn he drove and also accepted that's some fault is there.....

i left my bike 3-4 weeks back at dealer and went on work trip and didnt get time to collect according our recent conversation they indicated some change of faulty parts and even i forgot to mention that my bike paint finish quality was also not upto the mark so the saga goes on...........
Old 8th August 2010, 17:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@pratik:

Since you upgraded from a Japanese bike, you find this surprising. Basically you don't own an bullet, the bullet owns you !!

I started my riding life on a bullet and went through three bullets starting with my dads Royal Enfield (original Made in England) piece to my last bullet which was the first generation Machismo 350. Trust me mate, this will be a love & hate relationship. You will love the feeling when it works fine and you are munching miles, you will absolutely hate it when it gives problems and repeatedly.

When I came back from the USA last june, I was planning on getting another bullet, but a good friend had a 500cc which he was not using so I used that for a couple of months and then realized that I am past the travelling with a cloth to wipe grease off me and bag of tools stage in my life and want something reliable. So, now I plan to get either a Karizma or Avenger.

You will have to go through the headache of sorting out the problems. This is part and parcel of owning a bullet. I have ridden a friends classic 500. It is blast to ride. However, having completely lost faith in Royal Enfield's quality control, I have resisted the temptation to get one.
Old 8th August 2010, 18:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@pratik:

Since you upgraded from a Japanese bike, you find this surprising. Basically you don't own an bullet, the bullet owns you !!

I started my riding life on a bullet and went through three bullets starting with my dads Royal Enfield (original Made in England) piece to my last bullet which was the first generation Machismo 350. Trust me mate, this will be a love & hate relationship. You will love the feeling when it works fine and you are munching miles, you will absolutely hate it when it gives problems and repeatedly.

When I came back from the USA last june, I was planning on getting another bullet, but a good friend had a 500cc which he was not using so I used that for a couple of months and then realized that I am past the travelling with a cloth to wipe grease off me and bag of tools stage in my life and want something reliable. So, now I plan to get either a Karizma or Avenger.

You will have to go through the headache of sorting out the problems. This is part and parcel of owning a bullet. I have ridden a friends classic 500. It is blast to ride. However, having completely lost faith in Royal Enfield's quality control, I have resisted the temptation to get one.
4x4 does your option hold good for newer enfields too (post 2009 )?

Old CI's / first generation Machismo (were CI too) hence had major quality problems. Are the AVL'S / UCE still that bad ? Now does enfield have a quality control department ?
Old 8th August 2010, 20:29   #7
BANNED

^ Newer Enfields are a lot lot reliable than the old Bullets. Still, Enfield has a lot to improve in QC, so there would be niggles and glitches during the ownership period and its a different sort of experience compared to Jap bike ownership especially if its a Honda.
Old 8th August 2010, 21:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If, I were to buy a bullet again, I would only go for the Twin spark UCE engine. I feel that the engine will be lot more reliable, but the QC I am talking about is not just about the engine, but general fit and finish of parts, painting, rusting etc...

Now that Enfield has put the Twin Spark UCE engine in the Electra 5S, I think this makes a good value for money bike. It gives you the Bullet Charm with a modern power train.

@alter.e.go. I cannot comment on the post 2009 as the last Enfield I used for an extended period was a 2008 500cc. When I took it from my friend, it had done only 1300 odd kms. I put another 2000 kms on the bike since my jeep was getting modified at that time. I can tell you that this thing with barely 3000 kms had the started motor replaced twice. The second time outside warranty costing 5,000 Rupees. It would refuse to start numerous times without any rhyme or reason. Can you imagine in the heat of Chennai, me in my office shirt trying to kick the living daylights out of a 500cc engine. Anyways after about 4 months of living with this temperamental beast, I decided that I had moved on beyond Enfields. I wanted a bike which i could get to and didn't have to worry about if it would start or not.

Another time, I was riding to the office and there was a loud pop which made all the nearby folks run for cover and the bike came to a halt. I tried kicking a couple of time and it felt like the Carb was not feeding any fuel to the engine. I looked down and noticed that the the carb had come out of the hose that attaches the carb to the engine fuel port. Basically there is a flaw in the way the air filter assembly was installed that it kept tugging the carb away from the engine. Besides the part where the carb attaches to the engine side is held by an overlap of only about 1/4 cm barely enough to hold the carb to the port. I then relocated the air-filter box sligthly to reduce the pull on the carb. I also put some after market circular (radiator hose type) clamps to hold the both ends of the hoses that attach to the carb. This is all on a bike that cost 1.26 lakhs on the road in Chennai and had done less than 3000 kms. Basically this was the flag ship model of Enfield India at that time.

One thing I can tell you is that when it started and when I twisted the throttle on open stretch the feel was awsome. I just feel that the problems this bike give overshadow the benefits of this bike. I am attaching a picture of the last 500 cc bike I used.
Attached Thumbnails
My Bull the RE500CL(green)has landed-bullet2.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 8th August 2010 at 21:08.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ 4x4

They sell only the UCEs now. Not a huge leap in reliability (at least the 500!).

@Pratik

Shot rings, leaky seals...? Did they tell you what was wrong with it?
Old 15th August 2010, 18:19   #10
BHPian

Hi and thanks all for the wishes,
i got my bike from the service but still the same what happens is when i start my bike a dense smoke comes from the silencer then while i ride in city and keep gears in 2 or 3rd and keep spped between 30-50 if i accelerate high every thing is fine but if the speed is slow at suppose 30 in 2nd gear in starts giving jerk(hicckups) and some times even the it denies to raceup iam really worried what to do?
dealer told there was some problem with fuel injection,they changed the part but charged me 200 rs for sparkplug which is not under warranty what to do?
Old 15th August 2010, 22:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikjammy87 View Post
he found bike was consuming too much of oil so the odo was 345kms so they thought after servicing this issue might get solved.
Are you talking about engine oil or petrol?Is it white or black smoke?
Old 18th August 2010, 10:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Are you talking about engine oil or petrol?Is it white or black smoke?
hi Randhawa,
the smoke was very dense and black and it was engine oil now spoke to company manager in mumbai he told me to put my bike at diffrent service station here in indore.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Pratik, so you wanted 350 & you were more than lucky to get 500. Reason for more is that, you didn't undergo the same waiting period of delivering a baby
Quote:
frankly speaking shouted uncle internally had he had to die at that duration i know i was wrong
Shouldn't you thank you uncle who did something good to you?
Old 18th August 2010, 12:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi Randhawa,
the smoke was very dense and black and it was engine oil now spoke to company manager in mumbai he told me to put my bike at diffrent service station here in indore.
I have heard of one case with exactly the same problem but the guy had engine oil literally coming out of the exhaust.

I strongly feel you might have a missing valve seat from factory. Lift the tank, remove the rocker covers and inspect the valves for anything missing/loose. Do it ASAP.
Old 24th August 2010, 20:52   #15
BHPian

Hi,
then gave my bike at other dealer sevice now its running good but they aren't disclosing what was the issue when i tried asking the mechanic he said there was some setting done i asked where,he said leave it to us,but still i find some lag in acceleration while giving race to bike and there are some hiccups do you also feel the same in third gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I have heard of one case with exactly the same problem but the guy had engine oil literally coming out of the exhaust.

I strongly feel you might have a missing valve seat from factory. Lift the tank, remove the rocker covers and inspect the valves for anything missing/loose. Do it ASAP.

Most Viewed