Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 09:14   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
+1 to what BBlost & ElantraGT said on sourcing parts from factory. RE is not even able to meet the demands of dealers, if they open a sale counter at factory, they would only be selling washers!!! About few months back, I was unable to get a OE TBTS mirrors from any of the dealers & I was being made to run for about 1 month for 2 simple RVMs.

What's the spec involve? What all the parts that were changed? The point is you can do anything at any price. Its like buying idlies from a platform who sells at rock bottom price with hotwater called as sambar compared to the 20 Rs idly at Saravana Bhavan. It all depends on what you want to do.

And for 30K, trust me, you'll be able to get half the job done if you want to manufacture one. I did an entire build (actually manufactured) of Rx at home all by myself including chassis & center casing (engine number) & changed every single bolt & nut. The entire project costed more than a bomb; ofcourse mine was done with little experimentation too & hence a little offshoot. You don't want to know how much it costed. So be prepared to shell out more than double of your present budget, if required.

Regarding chassis, nothing to worry. All you need to do is, buy a scrap motorcycle with clean papers as I told before, then place an order for a new chassis from a dealer. The dealer may (read it may) want to see your motorcycle to etch the same chassis number to the new frame & hence you may need to take your motorcycle there along with RC book. Again, it all depends upon how much rapport you build up with them; follow the same steps for with engine number too. Remember to buy crucial parts such as all engine parts, chassis, engine casing from authorized RE dealer WITH BILL. If possible get everything from the dealer to have peace of mind.

Also, if you get to Pudupet, visit this guy Noor Automobiles, who's a small time seller of RE parts, could be trustable to some extent.

Last but not the least, if you have a hope to complete the entire stuff over 30 days, then pls forget it; if you're really interested in knowing RE inside out, then its going to take nothing less than 6-8 months including your regular classes.

You need to construct one bro, you'll not get it ready made unless someone sells their RD. The idea behind this is to construct a twin cylinder Rx. Cost involved? Hmmm...I don't know if you ever go to a 5 star hotel, ask for the prices & then eat to your budget. Sorry if this offends, but, I wish people don't ask about the cost when they're working on passion, unless they're economically weak.

Edit - @SINGH - Doing an automobile engineering, you should try doing something different from the regular stuff, as buying the parts & assembling will become boredom once you complete the job. Try to do something different. Good Luck.
Thankyou for your reply sir. This post was really very informative.

I want to highlight something. I am in first year and am doing this for two purposes

1. Experience on working with customization and assembling

2. This would serve as my means of transport also.

I dont mind waiting for a year or two to complete this project. This is my passion and i am sure that if i get help from such experienced people, i'll be able to complete the project successfully. I am ready to extend my budget.
Old 11th August 2010, 09:15   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I love these DIY builds. Best of luck towards a grand success!
Old 11th August 2010, 09:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
1. Experience on working with customization and assembling
Well, in that case, what you need to be doing is not concentrate on the building. You need to customize & show work experience. For which these are few things that I can think for you, but I'm sure there're people with real passion (unlike me )
- Use any engine, not necessarily RE, but build a complete new chassis for educational purpose
- Design & construct a twin parallel engine to be used on RE's frame
- Use a stock RE & play with gear ratios, sprockets; I mean, fabricate new sets of gears/sprockets
- Chopper & RE is getting common these days, but, a big time challenge if you want to experiment & most importantly make a quality one. Its much difficult than building a stock as well to make a beautiful one & most importantly, without any troubles.
- Make a simple project on self adjusting tappet valves in RE like the ones we have in cars.

You've got all the time in the world to do now.

Last edited by aargee : 11th August 2010 at 09:43. Reason: content improvement
Old 11th August 2010, 10:17   #19
BHPian

you can also try to get a discarded military bike. they run about R7-10,000. add 10-20 grand in necessities and you are rolling.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:34   #20
BHPian

thanks aargee sir. I got to learn alot from you. I hope i can get back to you when ever i have any problem.

Thanks Mitchontheroad- please help as to where can i source the army discarded bike.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I doubt it.
I have not been to the Factory, but I don't think any factory has a counter to sell parts or even a full product for that matter.
RE has it's own service center on Kalakshetra road, Thiruvanmayur. You can source spares from here.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks aargee sir. I got to learn alot from you. I hope i can get back to you when ever i have any problem.
Sure to learn anything on Rx, but when its RE, I'm weak. I can share my experiences with general rebuilds, but nothing specific to RE. You may want to speak with BBlost who's a hard core RE fan.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:08   #23
BHPian

Re: Assembling My Own *enfield*

i apologise to all my fellow bhpians as due to some commitments i couldnt keep this thread updated.

there's not much progress. but i have managed to source most of the parts. now comes the main part if the bike, its heart, the engine. i am having some problems in sourcing a 350cc engine for the bike. i request you to please help me with it so that i can proceed with the build.

thanks
namandeep S.I.N.G.H oberoi
Old 19th April 2011, 13:59   #24
BANNED

@Singh: Firstly I dont think you have done enough homework on this. There are some brilliant posts listed in the start of this thread which would get you started quite easily.

An engine block can be bought over the counter but you will need a engine number to go with it. Now where do you get the engine number from? Remember the engine number and chassis number are mated to each other. And needs to be clearly mentioned on the RC.

Have you tried procuring one? It has been mentioned many times in this same thread.

But frankly putting together a jigsaw puzzle isn't such a great idea, any garage can do that. Since you are at it why not try something innovative. Example the hydraulic clutch setup tried in another thread. That's true engineering.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
... but i have managed to source most of the parts. now comes the main part if the bike, its heart, the engine.
So you got a frame, used/ new?

[QUOTE ] i am having some problems in sourcing a 350cc engine for the bike. i request you to please help me with it so that i can proceed with the build.
[/quote]

Shall we know what those problems are & was it wrf a new or old piece?. Try Scrap yards for complete engines.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@Singh: Firstly I dont think you have done enough homework on this. There are some brilliant posts listed in the start of this thread which would get you started quite easily.

An engine block can be bought over the counter but you will need a engine number to go with it. Now where do you get the engine number from? Remember the engine number and chassis number are mated to each other. And needs to be clearly mentioned on the RC.

Have you tried procuring one? It has been mentioned many times in this same thread.

But frankly putting together a jigsaw puzzle isn't such a great idea, any garage can do that. Since you are at it why not try something innovative. Example the hydraulic clutch setup tried in another thread. That's true engineering.
thanks for your valuable reply sir. i would keep these things into mind. but there was a problem i was facing and that was the reason i posted here. the 350cc engine is not available over the counter at the moment. i dont know that reason why. and secondly, i have a constraint over the budget as i am doing the project out of my own pocket money!

@Rennjit

thanks for the reply sir. i managed to source the chasis from a friend of mine. the chasis is new. there are two problems

1. i am unable to source a 350cc engine from anywhere in chennai due to lack of contacts
2. as i am new to chennai i am unaware of the places/scrap yards where i can find it. i know that these parts are available at pudupet, but as people/seniors told me, most of the parts are stolen. and it is out of my ethics to obtain such parts.

Last edited by S.I.N.G.H : 19th April 2011 at 18:55.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:46   #27
BHPian

Not everything need be stolen. Have a look and if anything seems out of place walk away from the seal. My work place is very close to pudupet. If you wanna go around and need a local around lemme know, i can come along with you, dunno if i will be much help or not. Do PM me. If i can receive them :(
JagMan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:19   #28
BHPian

i will try doing that, at the moment i am making a list of the parts which i need to get. as soon as i make the budget for the parts, i'l; go searching for them to pudupet.
Old 25th April 2011, 01:03   #29
BHPian

here are some sketches that i drew while sitting in class. this is just a basic idea of what is going in my mind about the bike. there is nothing technical about the sketches!
Attached Thumbnails
Assembling My Own *enfield*-bullet-1.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-bullet-2.jpg  

Old 25th April 2011, 11:04   #30
BHPian

Another DummyField Chopper? you would do better assembling a regular one than this, just my 2p.
a budding Auto Er. why not you look at building add on systems for enfields itself like hydraulic clutch assist/ compact oil cooler/ a single pod speedo-tacho combo/ in-board disc front brake etc which would be of academic value & sale-able proportion.

for the engine, as scrap yards are out of your choice ask around local mechs for a used one or crankcases, parts etc. Get in touch with the 'Madbulls' club.
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed