Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 12:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Assembling My Own *enfield*

no sir. i do not aim at making it a chopper. it was just what was going in my mind at that time. cosmetic mods are not my cup of tea. i aim at making this bike somewhat different than the stock bikes. so according to what you said, i would be adding things such as the hydraulic clutch assist/ compact oil cooler/ a single pod speedo-tacho combo/ in-board disc front brake etc.

but i would be doing this in stages. my main motive in the first stage is getting the bike running as it would also serve as my mode of transport. i would be adding the mods in later stages even as my pocket won't allow me to do it at once. i really respect the concern that the fellow bhpians are showing towards this build. i hope to live up to the expectations.

thanks
namandeep S.I.N.G.H oberoi

ps- how to approach the Madbulls club. is any of the member our fellow bhpian?
Old 25th April 2011, 13:39   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
.....as soon as i make the budget for the parts, i'l; go searching for them to pudupet.
Where do you stay at chennai? Near SRM?
If so, there is a garage at back gate of SRM, G.L.Bikes. Contact the mechanic Mr.Siva who is kind enough in sourcing the parts from Pudupet.
PM me for his contact no. BTW I stay near SRM back gate only. I can take you to him and negotiate on the purchase.
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 17:46   #33
BHPian

oh thats great. are u a student from srm? i'll be really thankful if you could forward me his contact number as well as help me in negotiations as language is a problem for me.
Old 25th April 2011, 22:18   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....are u a student from srm? i'll be really thankful if you could forward me his contact number as well as help me in negotiations as language is a problem for me.
No, but I stay near SRM college.
Check your PM for the contact details. Sure, I will help in negotiation. PM me for any help required.

All the very best for your project.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 25th April 2011 at 22:19.
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:31   #35
BHPian

Building an RX without the bike... Is that possible

Hello all,

I have a strange query and may sound ridiculous but is it possible to build a RX 100 or 135 from just buying all the parts and building it to a bike?

Think about it, if thats possible then i am surely interested to do it, but want to gather the info before doing any genius stuff or stupidity as some would call.

Getting the parts is difficult but yes i can do it.

What about the RTO? do have some sources but is it legitimate?
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:44   #36
BHPian

Re: Building an RX without the bike... Is that possible

Have a look here >. just read 'enfield' as 'yamaha'
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:20   #37
BHPian

Re: Building an RX without the bike... Is that possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Hello all,

I have a strange query and may sound ridiculous but is it possible to build a RX 100 or 135 from just buying all the parts and building it to a bike?

Think about it, if thats possible then i am surely interested to do it, but want to gather the info before doing any genius stuff or stupidity as some would call.

Getting the parts is difficult but yes i can do it.

What about the RTO? do have some sources but is it legitimate?
Wont be Street Legal. RTO will not register the bike coz it did not roll out of the factory assembly line.
alok_balsekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 13:35   #38
BHPian

finally i have started to acquire the parts for the build. i have the following things available with me

1. chasis
2. tank
3. seat
4. front forks
5. rear shockers

i have my internals going on in collage hence the other parts are a bit delayed. but i'll start with the building process around 14th on this month tentatively is everything goes as per planned.
i am not considered with the registration of the bike at the moment as it is a project for my collage and i would be trying different things on it. but stage 1 is purely assembling the bike and getting it running.

i am attaching the pictures of the shockers that i got.

ps- i request the members not to start any controversial topic as i want this thread to be purely informative and not a battle ground for unnecessary discussions!

to the mods- please edit if anything is inappropriate.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Assembling My Own *enfield*-bullet-shocks1.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-bullet-shocks-2.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-bullet-shocks-3.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2011, 17:49   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi buddy, any updates on the project?
Have you sourced all the parts or stuck up some where?
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:20   #40
BHPian

sorry for not posting since along time. i have come back to delhi for vacations from collage. i am searching for an engine with papers. there is one place in delhi where cars/bikes/trucks go for disposal. thats the only place now where i would be able to source a working engine with genuine papers and that too at a reasonable price. lets hope for the best now.
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:17   #41
BHPian

So finally after a long long while i am posting on this thread. i am very sorry for this delay. All this while i had been looking for an engine, and i was lucky enough to find a bike that suited my requirements. And it was the ROYAL ENFIELD STANDARD 1982! And luckily it was bang in my budget! The papers were all clean and i was the 4th owner of the bike.

Now comes the condition of the bike. I wont say that i got the bike in mint condition, but it wasn't that bad either! And being an automobile engineering student, things became easier for me. I'd like to come towards the problems now.

1. the speedometer was not working as the gear that drives the wire was broken- solved
2. the front shocks were leaking- under process
3. the front hub had rusted and the front brake was not working- fixed
4. clutch cable was a bit tight and damaged- replaced
5. the silencer was rusted- replaced
6. the gearbox had leakages- gasket replaced
7. the carburetor was giving problems- jet replaced and serviced
8. rear brake shoes worn out- replaced
9. horn wasn't working- replaced
10. headlight cluster was in a stingy condition- replaced
11. engine oil changed to 20w50

now the bike is in a very good condition. its a pleasure to ride it. as of now there are no major problems as such. all the parts that were changed were original and sourced from an authorized dealer.

Lets come to the modifications now. being a youngster/collage going chap, i wanted to my bike look classic yet with a modern touch. so i started with the headlights. it was just yesterday that i installed a projector setup in the headlight. and all the work that was performed on the bike was done by me with the help from a service manual and a trouble shoot guide that i found on the internet. i would be posting the pics of the work in the evening once i have some good clicks. till then lets sit back and discuss about the bike!

thanks to all

to the mods: please change the name of the thread to "Assembling My Own *enfield*- mission accomplished"
Old 4th September 2012, 12:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H
So finally after a long long while i am posting on this thread. i am very sorry for this delay. All this while i had been looking for an engine, and i was lucky enough to find a bike that suited my requirements. And it was the ROYAL ENFIELD STANDARD 1982! And luckily it was bang in my budget! The papers were all clean and i was the 4th owner of the bike.

Now comes the condition of the bike. I wont say that i got the bike in mint condition, but it wasn't that bad either! And being an automobile engineering student, things became easier for me. I'd like to come towards the problems now.

1. the speedometer was not working as the gear that drives the wire was broken- solved
2. the front shocks were leaking- under process
3. the front hub had rusted and the front brake was not working- fixed
4. clutch cable was a bit tight and damaged- replaced
5. the silencer was rusted- replaced
6. the gearbox had leakages- gasket replaced
7. the carburetor was giving problems- jet replaced and serviced
8. rear brake shoes worn out- replaced
9. horn wasn't working- replaced
10. headlight cluster was in a stingy condition- replaced
11. engine oil changed to 20w50

now the bike is in a very good condition. its a pleasure to ride it. as of now there are no major problems as such. all the parts that were changed were original and sourced from an authorized dealer.

Lets come to the modifications now. being a youngster/collage going chap, i wanted to my bike look classic yet with a modern touch. so i started with the headlights. it was just yesterday that i installed a projector setup in the headlight. and all the work that was performed on the bike was done by me with the help from a service manual and a trouble shoot guide that i found on the internet. i would be posting the pics of the work in the evening once i have some good clicks. till then lets sit back and discuss about the bike!

thanks to all
You've got to post pics ..
How's the engine? Ever rebuilt? Adjust the timings ?
Did you put engine oil on the clutch side too?
Old 4th September 2012, 13:04   #43
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

thanks for the reply sir. the engine is in a very good condition. as of now i a have not worked with the engine due to the busy college schedule. i would be rebuilding the engine after November 19. till then i would be looking for snags in the engine and source parts accordingly.

no, i put the oil only in the engine oil input port. the primary shares the oil with the common sump i suppose.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the reply sir. the engine is in a very good condition. as of now i a have not worked with the engine due to the busy college schedule. i would be rebuilding the engine after November 19. till then i would be looking for snags in the engine and source parts accordingly.

no, i put the oil only in the engine oil input port. the primary shares the oil with the common sump i suppose.
The primary chain does NOT share oil with the engine. You will need to top up or replace the oil seperately. Use SAE 40 [Mak Gold40] for this and NOT a multigrade like 20w40. it takes around 440 ml if the primary case has been opened [which is a good idea as you can check the tension of the chain and the condition of the clutch].
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 20:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
... Use SAE 40 [Mak Gold40] for this and NOT a multigrade like 20w40. ...
Why not a multigrade? Whats so good about straight oil in comparison?

If its about anti-friction additives, i doubt it'd induce excess slip or wear. i might be wrong as well but multigrade is being used for ages & even RE says it in last of CI engine manuals atleast.

Most Viewed