Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 16:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

What Bike? Apache RTR180 or Pulsar 220?

Its been more than 2 years that we have owned a Yamaha RX100 as a daily ride (other bike being a Machismo 350). We're now looking at replacing the RX100 with a more reliable and a brand new bike. Performance and handling being our top most requirement and hence we have zeroed down on the Apache RTR180 and the Pulsar 220.

Other requirements :

Comfort : Our daily running will be around 15-20 kms per day during peak hours. Hence I need a bike which is not too heavy to manuevre in traffic. The bike should also comfortably seat 2 (in most cases it would be myself (5' 7" ) and V12 (6')

After Sales Service : How is the A.S.S of each of the manufacturers? I had a tough time searching for a TVS dealer between Bandra and Andheri. Called up some multi-brand dealer and they did not have a test ride vehicle since it is too "dangerous" to give a brand new vehicle for a test ride. I've had a good experience with Bajaj when I owned a Kawasaki Eliminator a few years ago. Would need some advise on TVS A.S.S.

Spares availability : Sales of the P220 and RTR18- have been too high and so I am a bit worried about the spares availability in the future. Will this be a problem?

Issues with the bikes : Do these bikes have any issues and niggles? I had heard the initial batch of P220 had a few niggles.

Mileage : Although mileage is the last of my concerns, I would like to know what can I expect out of each of the bikes?

To conclude, I would be keeping the bike for a maximum of 3 years and would want to enjoy a trouble-free bike without any problems.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions. I have been through other threads on the RTR/P220 but have started on a new one since my requirements would be a bit different.

P.S : Please ignore any suggestions from V12 if he speaks about the RTR/P220 replacing the Bullet
Old 15th August 2010, 18:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

P-220 has more top end power compared to RTR-180, everywhere else(barring comfort) RTR-180 is ahead.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2010, 19:00   #3
BHPian

tough call . Pulsars are easier to maintain , they have a wider service network , parts are alot cheaper , quality sucks tho , not much of indivisuality with the pulsars . 220s have good cycle parts , plush seats and decent top end , fastest bike in terms of top speed and torque i guess when u talk about the sub 225 cc brigade .

TVS is TVS . u either love it with a passion or u just dont . Its smaller , nimble , agile , fast , well built , looks hot , high quality parts used . Service network not very wide , spare parts are alot more expensive than Bajaj . There have been reports that the biggest RTR is a pretty stressed motor and hence engine life is not alot even for a stock bike . I Dont know how far this is true but i suggest u do ur research on this .

If I were u I would wait till Bajaj comes out with a 4 valve head Pulsar 220 . The wait shouldnt be too long now , when that happens TVS will come out with the 3 valve RTR or maybe even go 4 valve . The 3 valve we know they have and use .

I like the RTR cas its alot more refined and has alot more attention to detail . plus it looks hot , has enough soup in the engine , handles beautiful , is alot more aggressive , is unique and u could always ride down to Kari or MMSC and do a track day .

220 appeals to my pocket because i know i will never run short of spares or a service station , parts are cheap and ill be able to hold on to this bike in the long run . Plus it can accomodate 2 large aduls bottoms with ease and the large bore produces enough torque to haul a$$ comfortably . Tough call my friend . All boils down to what u really want .

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 15th August 2010 at 19:02.
Old 16th August 2010, 08:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
If I were u I would wait till Bajaj comes out with a 4 valve head Pulsar 220 . The wait shouldnt be too long now , when that happens TVS will come out with the 3 valve RTR or maybe even go 4 valve . The 3 valve we know they have and use .
I am in the same dilemma - Pulsar 220 or Apache 180 as my second bike for city runs and office ride. Have a bullet for other touring etc. But since its TN registered and I am in Hyd, so not able to freely use it here for city runs.

As of now, for me the White Apache 180 seems to be a good buy for city rides. Just that I am not sure if I would like the crouched position. The test ride didnt help much..

@2Stroke - Has Bajaj announced anything on the 4 valve engine or TVS on the 3 valve? Would hate to see a new bike launched if I go ahead and buy one of the two

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 16th August 2010 at 08:45.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:37   #5
BHPian

Ride the RTR180 before you choose. Engine vibrations are crazy from as low as 3k all the way to redline. The product does not appeal like the RTR160.

Having said that, the RTR will anyday outhandle the Pulsar, but the Pulsar's torque and top speed will keep you entertained.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
Having said that, the RTR will anyday outhandle the Pulsar, but the Pulsar's torque and top speed will keep you entertained.
Very well summarized. Could not have put it better.

Having owned the P220 Dtsi for about 5 months, it was a good bike for the highway but i found it to be too bulky and front heavy to handle in city traffic. I had the faired version.

Switched over to an RTR160 and have been happy ever since
City rides are a cake walk with the well balanced ride and handling. On the recent highway ride, the bike performed like a star. It vibrates like hell in the 5k-5.5k rpm range. Once you cross it, its just pure bliss. No vibes after 5.5k till about 8k which was the max i could go to.

At the end of the day since your usage will be mostly city, RTR160 should be a better bet since RTR180 is reported to have lot of vibes. I dont have personal experience with the 180 though
Old 16th August 2010, 16:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. I just went through a review on BikeAdvice and the Pulsar 220 is looking good.

Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTSi (2009 Edition) Review
Old 18th August 2010, 01:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

go for the P220 faired or unfaired both are good. the rear suspension is bit of a shame apart from that all is good.
Old 18th August 2010, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Why dont you have a look into my thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...sar-220-f.html
According to me -
RTR180 = City + Great Modification Potential.
P220 F not S = City + Highway + Extremely Good in Stock Condition.
I would not suggest the P220 S as you pay only 3k, less but loose out on the great faring(not the looks part) and on the projectors. I have the F and I really dont face any problems in traffic, it is very much manageable, you just need to get habituated to the extra weight at the front.
My full votes go to the P220 F unless you want to modify the bike.
Old 24th August 2010, 16:25   #10
BHPian

I have a RTR180 and would strongly recommend purchasing one. If a smaller machine can do the same thing what a Pulsar 220 can do then why not purchase the smaller machine. RTR180 is more fuel efficient,more reliable than bajaj bikes,Spares are cheap,Initial Cost is less.No fairing means less breakage of parts in a fall or while parking and so vallet friendly. Mileage it gives is upto 45kms/litre if driven below 70kms/hr on highways.I have just completed my visit to Leh,Ladakh and I had zero problems from a improperly,incompletely run-in RTR180. The comfort is very good ie. suspension is quite good. Only problem is that the tyres are having a more round profile so you need to be careful on wet surfaces. Rest Dry road tramac grip is decent not very bad as many people exaggerate. I had driven a TVS Victor for past 7 Years and had virtually no problems with the bike so I again purchased a TVS Apache RTR180 and I am least disappointed.About Vibrations between 4.5k to 5.5k rpm-its not so much fuss as people make it.Once you cross that the bike is again smooth. About the too sporty seating position.Its only a matter of time when you get used to it.I have ridden my bike for more than 14 hours in a day and had no back pain.Even I was too much worried about this point.Braking is excellent and I used it most during my Leh ride on smooth twisties to the maximum-Very confidence inspiring. Weight of the bike is less so gives you that additional advantage of a lighter and more powerful bike.The throttle response upto 80 is mindblowing and beats all the other bikes.Yes Pulsar beats it after 80kms/hr but whats the point.How many times do you ride about 80kms/hour?On highway she is quite good and very fuel efficient.On corners its-WOW. Only general complaint is that all bikes except Unicorn are bad for roads in Leh due the bent forward position which puts more stress on the wrists on bad roads especially on downhill.(I am talking only about Ladakh roads)
Old 2nd February 2016, 08:39   #11
BHPian

Re: What Bike? Apache RTR180 or Pulsar 220?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I have just completed my visit to Leh,Ladakh and I had zero problems from a improperly,incompletely run-in RTR180.
Hello. How about a travelogue? would be nice to get your opinion on the bike and the route with pics.
Sridutt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks