Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 16:17   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Tappets

Even the CI engine has tappets then why the noise in AVLs?

Get a nice helmet.
Already done that. It seems there is no way to reduce it. Thanks anyways.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:02   #17
BHPian

but someone earlier mentioned
"Agreed! If maintained well, no bike troubles too much apart from the UCE 500."
Could you please elaborate on that.. I just booked the CL 500 despite the outrageous waiting period of 8 months..
Old 29th August 2010, 13:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
but someone earlier mentioned
"Agreed! If maintained well, no bike troubles too much apart from the UCE 500."
Could you please elaborate on that.. I just booked the CL 500 despite the outrageous waiting period of 8 months..
It was I who said that.

The C5 is facing a lot of teething issues. The EFi remains a perennial problem, the air filter box has an awkward design, and the swing arm makes sure you don't go too fast.

All said and done, it is an awesomely powerful machine! Check Sanjeet's thread for more details on the issues faced by the UCE 500 owners.

PS: Sorry if I am being too negative, I just want you to know that there are issues. No bulleteer likes seeing another suffer.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:08   #19
BHPian

Thanks EssYouWe, appreciate that..
Hope RE works on it pretty soon or is that why the delay in deliveries. RE has a combined production capacity of about 5K units / month in their Chennai plant (not including the export production line), I heard Classics take a fair amount of that share and they are currently working on the CL350 backlogs.. from the info I got ~2700 units of CLs made this month missing their target of 3500 due to plant maintenance holidays..
Old 8th September 2010, 10:15   #20
BHPian

Fellas, what would be fair price for a 2009 Electra 5S with about 5000 km on the odo? Assume that everything (papers etc) is fine.

This last weekend I found another barely used Electra 5S - Aug 2009 model, Red color, 4800 KM on ODO with Electric start & Disc brake.

Unfortunately it is with a used vehicle dealer and he started with a high quote of 1.03 lakhs - almost same as a new Electra UCE. I spent 10 mins there trying to haggle the price, but he stuck at 97K. I made an offer for 80K - cash on the spot, but he didn't budge.

The bike seemed to be in excellent condition cosmetically - looks brand new. Started on the second attempt. I didn't inspect closely, nor did I check the papers as the price seemed unreasonable to me. I am planning to go back today/tomorrow at a time when business is slow and see if I can get him to a reasonable price point.

Any advice / tips / suggestions?

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
I finally got the contact number and called them. The owner is still here, he is leaving country in September. So here are the details:

Year: March 2010 (not 2009) - only 5 months old
Model: Electra 5S (yes, with a CI engine) - maybe one of the last batches??
Color: Silver
Odo: 1800 km (not 2500 km).
Options: Electric start and front disc brake.
Asking price was Rs 90,000.

Bad news -- Bike got sold on Tuesday :(

Ah well... back to the search.

Last edited by H3LIOS : 8th September 2010 at 10:17.
Old 8th September 2010, 10:29   #21
Team-BHP Support

I don't know the market rates of used bikes so cannot comment on it.

BUT I would rather buy a new bike with manufacturers warranty than a used bike that is just 10% cheaper.
Old 8th September 2010, 10:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I would rather buy a new bike with manufacturers warranty than a used bike that is just 10% cheaper.
Unfortunately, the Electra 5S is not available from the showroom anymore. The current model (Electra TwinSpark) comes with the UCE engine. I am interested in the CI engine. I almost booked one last year, but decided to wait for the Classic
Old 8th September 2010, 11:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

85k-90k if it runs well and has the service papers.

But do you really want to spend this much on a used bike? The same point Imran bhai made, it makes a lot more sense to pick up a new in-warranty model than a sparingly used one unless you get a good price on it.

I have been thinking about a hypothesis for a while now, although I haven't tested it yet. Loads of Bullets are in use in villages or smaller towns, maybe one can land a better deal there.
Does anyone have any comments or experience on this possibility?
Old 8th September 2010, 11:42   #24
Team-BHP Support

H3LIOS: Embrace new technology. The UCE 350 is a far more powerful bike than the CI.

Take a test ride before you decide. But then again my opinion is that the whole thump thing is over exaggerated. But that is my opinion only.

With a good helmet on and a good road in front of you, just enjoy the ride.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Do you really want to spend this much on a used bike? The same point Imran bhai made, it makes a lot more sense to pick up a new in-warranty model than a sparingly used one unless you get a good price on it.
Quote:
H3LIOS: Embrace new technology. The UCE 350 is a far more powerful bike than the CI.

Take a test ride before you decide. But then again my opinion is that the whole thump thing is over exaggerated.
I've been using a TBTS (UCE) for nearly four months now. Belongs to a cousin who has a temporary out of town assignment. I found the clatter of the UCE annoying (got used to it now), and the thump of the CI is distinctive.

But yes, your advice is sound - all things being equal, it is more sensible to go for a brand new bike. (I heard there is a 2 month wait now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
85k-90k if it runs well and has the service papers.

I have been thinking about a hypothesis for a while now, although I haven't tested it yet. Loads of Bullets are in use in villages or smaller towns, maybe one can land a better deal there.

Does anyone have any comments or experience on this possibility?
Thanks. I also asked a couple of neighborhood mechanics and they too suggested a price of 80-85K at most.

I believe the reverse of your hypothesis is true. Used vehicles are cheaper in big cities and more expensive in small towns (like mine). It is a business - people buy used cars from Hyderabad, Chennai & Mumbai and then sell them in small towns. I find that used bullets are relatively cheaper in Hyd. I have seen an ad for a 2007 Electra 5S for 52K in Hyd - maybe I should call him up.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
There are a couple of Electra 4S available in my area for about 50-60K, but I don't want the RHS gearing.
Teja
H3LIOS
Now here are two parallel things.
1. A second hand bike in price of new
2. A new bike, which you may accept unwillingly

We have missed a golden opportunity with that Mar 2010 Electra 5s. Why you dislike so much right shift? In my opinion first choice to be that Electra 4s (if good in condition) but if those are not good better to take a test ride of CL 350 with positive mind.

This Electra 5S (second hand CI) costing 1.03 lacs is not at all acceptable.

Last edited by (Alok) : 8th September 2010 at 13:03.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I find that used bullets are relatively cheaper in Hyd. I have seen an ad for a 2007 Electra 5S for 52K in Hyd - maybe I should call him up.
You need to go and grab that 2007 Electra friend.
Thats a steal, provided the machine is in good (if not excellent) condition.
A 2007 Electra was sold for 85K in the small town of mine in Kerala.
Old 9th September 2010, 18:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
If I do not get along with the CI, I can always sell it off quickly (there seems to be quite a bit of demand). UCE is available readily, so I can get that anytime I want.
Thanks for helping.
If this is the case, why don't you try Electra 4S, they are nice machines and it has all the aspects of a typical Bullet. Don't think too much about the RHS gear, it hardly takes time for you to get used to it. I have an Electra 4S(2002) and believe me it took less than an hour for me to get used to it. There is a simple way to get used to it, the moment you change the gear, do not keep your foot on the gear lever, just spread it wide and you will not get confused at all.
Old 9th September 2010, 21:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen an ad for a 2007 Electra 5S for 52K in Hyd - maybe I should call him up.
Can you please share the person's contact details with me?!
Old 9th September 2010, 22:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

I strongly suggest you go for the newer technology. I started off with a lot of initial enthusiasm for the older "classic" technology, thump, heavy crank etc etc but practically what happened is, every time I used to get the carb properly tuned and in a couple of weeks time it would have to be tuned again. If I didn't get it tuned, it would take a lot of kicks to start. Yes, I went through all the manuals, forums and videos to understand how to start it. Read through most of Pete Snidal's manual, at least the usage parts.

Then one fine day got sick of the whole thing. The machine is for me, not I for the machine. There is a reason it is old techniology and not being used. There is a reason why other technologies are being used. The reason is: They work better. As simple as that.

My initial enthusuiasm lasted 9 months, and then I sold my Bullet. You may have better luck, but in the long run you are better off with technology that works better and does things better.

It is like using pure MS-DOS in this day and age, for the nostalgic value. You can stare at that DOS prompt for a few hours, you can even get a text-based browser or even a graphical browser to work in it, but it just will not do what today's operating systems do. Once you are done staring at that DOS prompt, you will want Windows or Mac or something current.

Well the good part is that I never really understood what is cylinder, inlet valve, exhaust valve, etc etc till I owned a Bull and read Snidal's manual. BUT: I don't think it was worth it!

Sorry for the negativity. Its just what experience taught me.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 9th September 2010 at 22:19.

Most Viewed