Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 14:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Hey Gordon,

I think you are right in saying that the kick lever has become smoother than usual due to loss of compression. I have felt it while kicking some of my friends have told me that the kick start in my bullet is familiar to a kick start on Pulsar.

These are the symptoms, what should i do to rectify it?
Hey navin,

I think you should get the exhaust set properly first & make sure that there are no leaks there. That can be done as previously suggested by Sankar, & just to check for a few days if there is any other leak, put a thin cover of silicon gasket maker around that area to seal it (don't worry, it comes out easily with a screwdriver). As for the crack in the head, you would have to find a place where you can get TIG welding done as normal welding wouldn't work.

Ride safe.
Old 24th August 2010, 15:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Do they own AVLs or CIs? The kick of the CI engine is much much much smoother than the AVL's, in fact its smoother than a Pulsar too! I don't know the figures but I guess the AVL has a higher compression than the CI.
Old 24th August 2010, 16:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hey blackfire,

I am confused as to the suggestion given by Sankar about the crack in the head as Sankar says "Even if there is a crack at the place marked '2' it will not leak gases because its well outside the combustion chamber and valve area. Only thing would leak is oil from the rockerbox." I haven't seen any oil leak from that area.

So need a little clarification on your point abt welding pics wud help.

Gordon, i think you are right one of my friends owns an AVL and he finds the kick on my CI to be much smoother.

Thanks Navin.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hey navin,

I would reiterate what Sankar has said & that region (marked as no.2) is above the exhaust valve & well outside the combustion chamber. Maybe all you see there, are deposits accumulated over time.

When I suggested TIG welding, it was only to suggest a way of repairing any sort of a crack, irrespective of where it is in the cylinder head. I do think your worries would be put to rest by the bend pipe adjustment, but just in case you still need to get the head opened & you do find a crack somewhere, get it repaired by TIG.

Take care.

Ride safe.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th September 2010 at 10:55. Reason: Post edited to remove entire quoted post. Thanks
Old 25th August 2010, 09:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

I hope you did the following checks:
- Clean Carb
- Carb Manifold (rubber between carb and engine)
- Tightened Carb Clips
- Air Filter
- Spark Plug
- Plug cap

The problem can be electrical related too. So:
- Ignition Coil
- Coil Wire

OT: Any idea how much for the following parts?
- Ignition Coil
- CDI unit
- Stock Seat
Old 25th August 2010, 10:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Blackfire thanx for the guidance point taken, i will try out sankars solution to weld the pipe back into the cylinder as the cylinder hole becomes oval overtime, this is the prime suspect in my case.

Hey Gordon I recently got the rubber replaced and tightened by hose clips between carb and air filter. Although will have to check for the electrical components highlighted by you. I also think rain will be wreaking a havoc with the electricals coz it seems a common problem in many bullets.

I dunno the exact cost of a CDI unit but do know it will cost a lot to change a standard bullets CB point to CDI coz u will have to replace many other allied components. Anways if u are planning to buy these then Mahavir Spares(Next to Andheri Western Express highway) is good they are reasonable too, they will also give you an estimate for all these parts and all parts i have purchased from them till date is OEM and good.
Old 25th August 2010, 12:15   #22
BHPian

^^ If your bullet has the 12v AC/DC electrical system, then you don't have to replace anything to convert it to the CDI system. You will just have to get the CDI kit and install it. Normally people remove the CB point assembly with the governor along with the complete casing protruding out from the engine/timing case to get the factory look. Infact, you can even have a switch and choose between the CDI and the CB point.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th September 2010 at 10:53. Reason: Post edited to remove entire quoted post. Thanks
Old 25th August 2010, 13:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

I face similar problems on my bike too. I suspect its either my carb jets, torn diaphragm, a leak near the carburettor manifold, the coil, coil wire or the CDI unit.

I've already cleant the carb and checked the manifold. Plan to remove the tank and test the coil and CDI unit. Hopefully its a loose connection Then we shall move on to the diaphragm and jet replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8
Mahavir Spares(Next to Andheri Western Express highway)
By any chance would you have their contact number?

Aware of the Mahavir Spares store, apart from Rajkamal located at Santacruz West.

Last edited by Gordon : 25th August 2010 at 13:29.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

^^
Hey gordon i dont have the contact details of mahavir spares :(

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th September 2010 at 10:53. Reason: Post edited to remove entire quoted post. Thanks
Old 26th August 2010, 07:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Still curious. How did the mechanic come to the vacuum leak conclusion?

Misifiring can be caused by many many sources. Its difficult to pinpoint a particular source. You'll be replacing many parts just to reach the problem.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gordon,

Even i was confused as to how the mech came to a conclusion of air/vaccum leak, but u know i placed my hand near the place where the exhaust pipe meets the cylinder head and could feel the escaping air/vaccum leak hitting my hand.

As i said i suspect rain as one of the reasons for this as the bike runs fine when there's no rain, i had replaced the CB point with a new OEM one, battery(exide) and electrical work was also done in the process, no such problem occured before the rains when i bought it in april 2010 but as soon as rains arrived the misfiring prob cropped up. I dont know i am not an expert but i suspect the rain for this issue.
Old 26th August 2010, 13:14   #27
BHPian

^^^
I have been through this, and in my case it was the rain drops seeping into the ignition coil mouth. Check the rubber bush sort of thing which covers the HT wire end to the Ignition coil. Cover the top portion with maybe some rubber sheet, so that water doesn't seep into.
BTW, what kind of seat do you have?

EDIT: It could be also, water entering the CB point. But this happens only pressurized water is sprayed into.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th September 2010 at 10:54. Reason: Post edited to remove entire quoted post. Thanks
Old 26th August 2010, 14:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
if its the gap between the cylinder head & the cylinder, then replacing gaskets will suffice, may be one more additional cylinder gasket is sufficient.
here is my problem.

can i change the gasket my self or should i do it my self?

Bullet 350 Standard Air leak from cylinder head-dsc01587.jpg

Last edited by jeepster : 26th August 2010 at 14:05.
Old 27th August 2010, 07:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
here is my problem.
I understand it is a clear case of gasket leak. You can go to a trusted workman and get it replaced with a new gasket. Doing oneself wont be a good idea, since the bolts should be tightened evenly and precisely.

With thanks and regards
Old 27th August 2010, 08:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I don't know the figures but I guess the AVL has a higher compression than the CI.
For 350 cc it is 8.5:1 for AVLs and 6.5:1 for CIs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks