Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:51   #16
BHPian

Getting into this a bit late ... however, I have some memories of the MSF course, from '00.

I agree with views expressed earlier : i.e. cover the front brake with all 4 fingers for passing the MSF course. For all other riding, one can revert to our desi way, i.e. 2 fingers for the front brake.

I think the 4 fingers are required, so that maximum braking force can be generated quickly during a high speed emergency stop.

If one can learn to modulate the brake lever with 4 fingers (in the process, unlearning our desi habit of 2 fingers) while retaining throttle control, then more power to you.
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:59   #17
Team-BHP Support

2 strokes don't engine brake much. You are off the throttle & it sheds.

Braking is a very big & huge topic & different Motorcycles brake differently.
Old 9th September 2010, 02:27   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Excuse me, but what is counter steering in motorcycles?
Found a nice Wiki article on counter steering.
Countersteering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I do not recommend trying to watch yourself counter steer at high speeds. This increases the situational awareness, and one starts looking at all the wrong things around. At first it can trouble our brain to watch ourselves turn the bar in the wrong direction. Try it a few times, & you will get used to it.

If you like the physics of it try reading this.
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~fajans...eerBikeAJP.PDF

Ride on ....
Old 9th September 2010, 22:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

did MSF course last weekend, got my license y'day and rode my bike to work today

coming back to the braking, I think it's ok if you feel safe keeping two fingers on brake, but four fingers give me a complete control of the lever, enough to compensate for the "readiness" I get out of having two fingers on brake all the time.

MSF guys say something about counter steering, but never explain the physics behind it, nor do they clarify the push left, lean right, turn right sequence. on further probing they said it' more like intuition, you will learn to do it, and they are right, but then why have this in the course.

BP, what bike do you have? I did the course with a yamaha TW200. Short wheelbase, really fun to ride. but my suzuki c50 still needs some time getting used to. I still tend to glide (left and right) instead of making a perfect turn. I think retracing the course track on my bike on the weekend will help.
EDIT: I see it, ninja 650. so wheelbase is pretty close to indian bikes.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th September 2010 at 22:56.
Old 9th September 2010, 23:39   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
MSF guys say something about counter steering, but never explain the physics behind it, nor do they clarify the push left, lean right, turn right sequence. on further probing they said it' more like intuition, you will learn to do it, and they are right, but then why have this in the course.
People who have been riding for a while will take a little longer to get used to counter steering at every corner. Just takes some time to do it intuitively. There are other things in the MSF course like how to ride when approaching a big rig, approaching a deer/stray dog etc which are taught just in theory. Hopefully we will remember this when we face the real life situation.

BTW, its a mighty fine Suzi you have there.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
did MSF course last weekend, got my license y'day and rode my bike to work today

coming back to the braking, I think it's ok if you feel safe keeping two fingers on brake, but four fingers give me a complete control of the lever, enough to compensate for the "readiness" I get out of having two fingers on brake all the time.

BP, what bike do you have? I did the course with a yamaha TW200. Short wheelbase, really fun to ride. but my suzuki c50 still needs some time getting used to. I still tend to glide (left and right) instead of making a perfect turn. I think retracing the course track on my bike on the weekend will help.
EDIT: I see it, ninja 650. so wheelbase is pretty close to indian bikes.
Congrats Vivek for the license and the bike. I did my course on a suzi 150cc and it was a lot like my Yamaha rx 135 back at home. The Kawasaki 650 is a completely different machine, but very rider friendly. After the running in period, I started opening the throttle on the stretches and for my skill level she is a beast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks