Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 00:37   #1
BHPian

Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

My 60-year-old dad wants to buy a superbike!!! He has always been a biker... RD 350, Yezdi Roadking, RX 100 he has driven it all. But after he got a car, he stopped riding motorcycles. But last week out of the blue he calls up and tells me that he wants to buy a bike with more than 500 cc, something in the range of 5 to 9 lakh.
Nope, please don't suggest Harley, I have done that he doesn't like them. He doesn't like Suzuki Bandit either. Please suggest some ride for my dad guys!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 1st September 2010 at 00:41.
Old 1st September 2010, 00:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about bike but,

where do you get dads like that?
vivekiny2k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2010, 01:10   #3
BHPian

Wow. Now that is something I call as an inspiration for a lot of other people. Wishing your dad a big welcome back to biking.

Depends on what he wants to get out of his ride and is he only wanting to choose a new bike from what is officially available in India. If he still has the love for speed and ....sure the supersport or maybe a Honda CB1000, but if its about a weekend ride at a leisurely pace, then a cruiser, I guess the M109 or even the MT01 (there was a 2008 MT01 for sale on xbhp.com. Also hope you/your dad has seen the thread here on the MT01 experience by the member- gsferrari).

Good luck.
Old 1st September 2010, 01:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately there is no bike available in that price range in the bikes that are available officially currently.

If you are planning to buy used, then buy something like the earlier Honda Hornet/CB750) or Suzuki SV650 types i.e. one with a straight bench seat. This should be easy to handle & comfortable too.
Old 1st September 2010, 02:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if the Honda 919 is available in the market. If you can find one, its definitely something worth considering. Very comfortable, and definitely reliable.
Old 1st September 2010, 02:54   #6
BHPian

Well I completely understand he is looking for a superbike, but how about a classic?? A Triumph Bonneville
Old 1st September 2010, 06:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

You might want to take a look at the Bandit thread I have started recently. The Bandit is the best of the available lot from a practicality perspective, is what my conclusion is after some research. If I did not have serious concerns about Ducati running costs and service back up, I would have picked the Monster 796, just launched in India.
In Pune, I suspect the Bandit will also be the best supported, post sales.
Old 1st September 2010, 07:34   #8
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

At this price, there isn't much option if your dad is considering a new bike. Though the Bandit is one of the most practical bikes around, at this age if your dad needs a superbike, it speaks passion for riding and if he's not keen on the Bandit, then he needs something which will appeal to the heart.

The Ducati 796 Monster is the bike. Light weight, good looking, Italian flair and the 800cc powerplant is enough for our roads. The only issue could be the servicing and reliability.

Other options include the very reliable Honda CB1000R.

Last edited by //M : 1st September 2010 at 07:35.
Old 1st September 2010, 09:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

At that price point(& even above it in India)
1. Honda CB-1000 ( a wee bit stretch)

2. Suzuki Bandit 1250S
Old 1st September 2010, 09:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I don't know about bike but,

where do you get dads like that?
Thats exactly my question !!

Seriously ! Would he adopt ???

As for the bike...he can find an GSXR or R1 for that price range without any difficulty.
Old 1st September 2010, 09:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The only issue could be the servicing and reliability.
To me, this is a little more than only. Since I live in Pune, where Ducati has no service, I am seeing a Ducati that won't start in the garage, and if that happens, all its virtues disappear. If I just wanted to look at it, buying it to do that seems to be excessive!
As it is, none of these bikes will have a big service reach. Therefore, on the counts of state of the art reliability, and a service set up in the city in which one lives, seem to rule the Ducati out for me. Pity, because as I have written already, the Monster is so right in every other way.
The Bandit may look boring, but by no means will it be so on Indian roads. Very flexible engine that pulls in top gear from 50 kmph all the way to a top speed of 235 is way more than any Indian road, now, or in ten years to come, can accommodate. And the unstressed engine will last a very long time. For a bike to ride long distances for many years, it is the Bandit, of the current lot of CBUs on sale. To look good on, there are other options, like the Ducatis/Harleys.
The CB1000R combines both needs pretty well, actually. And it has fantastic Honda build quality/reliability at a very good price. Currently though, Honda does not seem to think very highly of CBU customers. And, no service in Pune, which is a shorter term concern, probably.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

i feel that your BIKER dad wants to full fill his wish to own a super bike.
but now at 60 a 500+cc bike will not be a good idea.

instead he can buy ninja 250r.
it has all ingredients of a super bike only its 250cc.
& service can be done in pune.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/29343-2010-kawasaki-ninja-250r-edit-launched-now-2-7l-ex-showroom-59.html
Old 1st September 2010, 10:25   #13
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

You are one lucky dude to have inspired dad.

When you leave out the Harleys and the Bandit there are no other super bikes less than 10L. If you can stretch to 11-13L they there is a multitude of other options.

How does he know know that he does not like the Bandit - just by looks or has he tasted/tested it?

If by looks then the MT01 and the CB-1000 are two bikes that he has to see to be able to decide which look he prefers.

If it was after testing that he needs to test all superbikes till 13L

If you are stuck with 9L and not wanting the two that you mention then pre-owned is the only option.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

I second jeepster, the 250R would indeed be a good choice & has enough spunk to keep you satisfied for an year at-least.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:47   #15
BHPian

maybe be a CB400 or a Kawa GPZ would be more apt. Plenty roaming around the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks