Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:59   #1
BHPian

Electra CDI - Not crossing 80kmph

Guys, need your valuable inputs. I have an Electra CDI 2002 with me. The bike is in a good condition, but of late I have not been able to cross 80kmph. I have done 100kmph earlier and am little worried. Usually I do not cross 80kmph, but at times when I try, it does not go beyond that.
Old 4th September 2010, 13:52   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Guys, need your valuable inputs. I have an Electra CDI 2002 with me. The bike is in a good condition, but of late I have not been able to cross 80kmph. I have done 100kmph earlier and am little worried. Usually I do not cross 80kmph, but at times when I try, it does not go beyond that.
I faced the same issues with my Electra CDI 2003. Start with basics as follows.

Check free rotation of wheels without any contact with brakes. Rear chain free play 25 mm.

1) Get the Carburetor settings checked.
2) Check intake manifolds for air leakage.
3) Check compression (you know how to do it with the kick ?)
4) Change spark plug.
5) Check clutch plates and clutch springs (get the springs replaced if you have never had these replaced till date, they cost 25 Rupees).
6) When the clutch is open, check the Pulsar coil located inside).

I had the above things done on my bike in a haphazard way, however I have given above the correct sequence to diagnose the issue and God willing, you may not have to go through the entire process, as I did.

My bike turned out to have a spark plug problem, and the front disc brakes were fouling with the free movement of the wheel. I got these rectified and now my bike's back to its normal speeds.....! Keep the forum informed and good luck....!!!
Old 4th September 2010, 17:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

You got a lot of good tips in the above post. Get carb emptied and cleaned as well.

What is the max speed in third gear?

Try to see if your bike can exceed 80 kph in third gear(Electra can do a max of around 90kph in 3rd gear if revved to the max, not recommended on a daily basis, though). If your bike is hitting a brick wall while revving, then there is a problem somewhere in the ignition circuit.

if it is what I think it is, then the diagnosis is very hard(as to which part is faulty). You may have to try changing each part in the ignition circuit and see if the problem goes away - Spark Plug, HT Lead/Coil, CDI, Alternator, Pulser, AC regulator etc. Best to do this with a mate's bike, which is in good conditon. Change only one part at a time, and do an extended test drive. Sometimes, the bike may behave well initially, only for the problem to resurface.

The only issue is, he may not be your mate at the end of the day , be warned

Last edited by kuttapan : 4th September 2010 at 17:38.
Old 4th September 2010, 18:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

I feel the problem is with the spark plug or a clogged Tank cap breather hole. But Bradhey has summarized the rest for you to check.
Old 4th September 2010, 20:56   #5
BHPian

Thank you guys, will do the same and keep the forum informed. This might take some time as I will be doing these things leisurely.
Old 4th September 2010, 22:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
I faced the same issues with my Electra CDI 2003. Start with basics as follows.
Hi Bradhey, since you have the same Electra CDI, What is the top speed that you have done in your bike. Its not that I want to hit high speeds, I always ride in 70-80kmph range, but my only concern is that the bike should be capable of doing it.
Old 5th September 2010, 15:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Hi Bradhey, since you have the same Electra CDI, What is the top speed that you have done in your bike. Its not that I want to hit high speeds, I always ride in 70-80kmph range, but my only concern is that the bike should be capable of doing it.
My bike is stock, without any modifications, except for the short bottle silencer I had put from day one. When it was new the maximum I could do was 110 kph on the speedometer. But since long I have not tried top end testing, the maximum I go is 80-90, may be a rare 100 kph for passing.

But my C5 goes upto 90 MPH that is 144 KPH on the speedo !!
Old 5th September 2010, 18:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had a 2003 Electra 2003 CDI, could do 115kph on the speedo, given enough road.
Old 5th September 2010, 18:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
6) When the clutch is open, check the Pulsar coil located inside).
Can you clarify on the "Pulsar" coil.
I believe you meant the starting coil. Does Pulsar and RE share the same coil ?

Last edited by jeeva : 5th September 2010 at 18:53.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Jeeva Pulsar is the name of the coil not a Manufacturer here.

anyways.

i had a simmilar problem in my bike but it was a standard after many days of troubleshooting we came to conclusion that the Bottel coil was faulty. so that in your case is replaced by a HT coil.

Check for any electrical parts that were changed. if yes check if they are OEM or some BEKAR after market.

Best of luck
Old 7th September 2010, 00:13   #11
BHPian

I forgot to mention. The pick up also has gone down, vehicle sometimes struggles in 2nd gear.
Old 7th September 2010, 10:33   #12
BHPian

Do you notice the oil level going down more often ? Any blue smoke from the exhaust?

I strongly feel it may be a clogged air filter/fouled plug.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Do you notice the oil level going down more often ? Any blue smoke from the exhaust?
I do not notice any of these.

Most Viewed