Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 11:48   #16
BHPian

what you guys say about "Rajdoot". i remeber people telling that it runs on almost any fuel(which is not good considering the pollution it makes). i strongly believe this will make it to the classic list.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:07   #17
BANNED

1. RX 100

2. Pulsars

3. RD 350
Old 7th September 2010, 12:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why are many of you mentioning Apache 160 but not 180? Any reason why the 160 is better?
Old 7th September 2010, 12:45   #19
BHPian

For sure, All Yezdi's are classic.
I owned one and sold it.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:24   #20
BHPian

Rx100, Suzuki Shogun & who can miss the RD350 HT & LT
Old 7th September 2010, 14:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

The first generation Pulsar twins would surely have strong fan following. Powerful (relatively), simple upkeep, easily available spares coupled with loads of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneroller View Post
Rx100, Suzuki Shogun & who can miss the RD350 HT & LT
These are already classics, a couple of decades and they would be classified into vintage.

manson.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

These are already classics, a couple of decades and they would be classified into vintage.

manson.
Didnt know the Shogun was given the "Classic" title. RX100 & RD yes.
Old 9th October 2012, 00:42   #23
BHPian

re: Which Indian bikes will become future classics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNrOd View Post
Over the years, the indian biking scene has witnessed the coming and going of several hundreds of models; some of which will go down in history as massive successes, some which bit the dust never to be remembered again. However, there are the select few which remain in the hearts and minds of the masses well after their discontinuation, and go on to become the forever worshiped classics.
We all know of the classics; the RD 350s, the jawas, the bullets, the zundapp (read royal enfield) fury, etc. We all yearn for one despite their known shortcomings; Even as scrap they hold immense value and are fought over.

So here comes my question, Of all the bikes launched in the 21st century, which ones do you feel will go on to become future classics? Please understand that this has nothing to do with popularity or usability or reliability; just that which modern bikes will go on to achieve cult status and fan-clubs formed after them twenty years from now. which?

Feankly, I don't feel any of them really fit the bill, but of the current breed here are the ones I feel might make it(in no chronological order):
1. R-15-for simply being the best possible piece of engineering in the segment
2. Apache RTR 160-for being the only true acceleration and cornering maniac to take on after the RXs
3. pulsar family-for obvious reasons, namely starting the trend of the sports cruiser
..... twenty years from now. which?
I personally think CD 100 had contributed a lot in providing the Indian middle class an affordable mean of day to day commuting..may be it was not having rev and pickups like Yamaha RX100 but it was more popular on sales charts just b'coz of simple fact....fuel efficiency...this is testimonial of this bike that still people remember CD100 and compare current generation 4 strokes of 100 & plus(??)cc with Hero Honda CD100.
Here is my Hero Honda CD 100 (1985)>>
...just before restoration...loosed its charm after years of toiling
If it is 1985 Hero Honda CD100, it should be like this>>

My Hero Honda CD100 (1985) was restored couple of weeks from now....

The Nippon seiki Meter ( with just HONDA ....)

The Two covers...

MUL Shocks & the original swinging arm>

....ha!! haa!!...Salman khan when he was 20 than (@'88 or '89)- the Bike featuring in this ad is '88 or '89 I guess

THE UNFORGETTABLE TAGLINE OF CD 100 ie., "Fill it.Shut it & forget it" had created the magic on peoples nerves and simply highlighted the virtue of its fuel efficiency >

Now..so more of my HH CD100

....I can see few suggestions like RD350, RX100,Jawas, yezdis,Vijai supers etc...All these why after 20 years from now.??...THEY are NoW!!

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th October 2012 at 22:32. Reason: unbolded post. please do not post in BOLD as it is difficult to read.
powertwin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 16:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hero Honda Sleek will be a sure bet, they were quite good to look. Typical of All Show and no Power. Believe they ultimately made way for the Splendor.
Old 9th October 2012, 22:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
My Hero Honda CD100 (1985) was restored couple of weeks from now....
Excellent restoration work. The paint job, chrome finish, everything is making the bike shine and gleam. Looks brand new.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:24   #26
BHPian

In my view, a classic is defined by its collectability, street cred and character. Years after the model has been discontinued there should be a market for a well maintained specimen. Does it turn enough heads, it needs to be a bit of a show boat. The bike's very classic status bestows instant recognition atleast among the cognoscenti. Character is really hard to define. They also say a classic is forever - many bikes become classics simply because they refuse to die, they are relatively more reliable and easier to fix.

I own a green bullet 500 - it is nothing more than a show boat. It is a pain to ride in traffic and hard to maintain. Very few were sold and aesthetically it has aged well in that green paint. Either parked on the street or making my way through narrow streets, it definitely attracts a second glance. Would I sell it? Heck no.

The Suzuki Fiero has a devoted following here in Bangalore. It is still possible to see dozens of extremely well maintained Fieros. Riding one bestows a certain status on the owner around here. Nobody could have predicted that it would command such a devoted following while it was in production.

The RX100 is definitely collectible, way more accessible than the RD350. It is is really hard to find an RD on the street but RXs are plentiful. Each time I see a well maintained shiny RX, I reflexively throw an admiring glance. The styling has stood the test of time. Shoguns seemed to be plentiful during their heyday but have all but disappeared now, I would have thought it had all the ingrendients for becoming a classic now.

Now, coming to the current crop - the KTM200 seems like a really strong candidate to go on to become a classic. Because of the KTM200 the Pulsar 200 NS might never be a classic, I might be proved wrong in a few years though. The KTM looks like nothing else, goes like stink, has a distinct but unfamiliar exhaust note and has already acquired a devoted following.

The ZMA probably qualifies(disclaimer, I own one), except that it is already a classic for various reasons whilst still in production. The CBR250 and the R15 might be popular now but once bigger versions become available, they will probably lose a good deal of their cachet.

I would be curious to hear from someone with an insight into the CBU scene. There is a great deal of choice right now, how many owners select a particular model based on the the perception it will go on to be a future classic.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

The original CBZ also has a strong fan following. Not the CBZ* , but one without the decals, for some strange reasons , since its exactly the same bike save for the stickers.
Old 10th October 2012, 11:48   #28
BHPian

When RD350 launched, it was the most expensive Indian made bike that you could buy that time. I still remember people saying you could buy two RX100's for the price of one RD350.

And beyond that -it was way too much powerful for that time and drank way too much fuel.

All the characters that now defines a Ninja 250R. One of the most expensive bikes, with plenty of character and a desirability factor which is unfortunately still unmatched. If you ask me, thats one contender which will be a classic 20 years from now.

Besides Ninja, the only other bike that I see becoming a classic is a KTM200, none of the others, not even the current gen bullets IMO. And maybe, probably, bikes like CD100 and HH Street.

Last edited by sids911 : 10th October 2012 at 11:51.
Old 11th October 2012, 22:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
To add a few
The original Kinetic Honda
Hero Honda CD100
Yamaha RX100
Bullet 350 CI
Bullet 500
Bullet Machismo (the collector would love to polish the chrome )
Bullet UCE
The Diesel Bullet
The Kinetic Hyosung Aquila
The Bajaj M80
Bajaj Chetak
Suzuki shogun
Thanks schitre!!..think both of our minds travel in same band width....
Actually ,I prefer most of the "TWO STROKES" from bygone era should find a place here in the collectibles after 20 years from now (NOW of-course)
Any of the Bajaj scooter variants (2strokes) should be there & also at least Bajaj 4 stroke scooter should find a place as " First Indigenous FOUR Scooter power train:

* Enfield taurus (diesel) ah! being the one & only Diesel production Bike in the world
(Though SOORAJ diesel motorbike is also a production bike, but its authenticity was challenged & proved guilty...any way I have a SOORAJ, yet to be restored though)

** From JAWA stable- YES!!, I have a 1961 Jawa 250cc, 1961 Jawa piony'r 50cc, Yezdi Jet 60cc, Yezdi Roadking & a Yezdi 350 cc Twin
*** Ind-Suzuki - hm!! How can we forget that???-I have a 1985 Ind-Suzuki , in pretty running condition, but needs restoration
Shogun -YES!! .have one, but may part with in near future
**** Peugeot Sportif :Have one...a ultra luxury Moped, with Electric start, Kick start & Pedal start (with bicycle mode too)
**** Suvega Moped:Of course Moped means SUVEGA
***** LUNA -First Indigenous MOPED as per records (), a Belt drive noise less , trouble free moped
****** Atlasolex -ah!! found a place in "Designer Classics product" of Phaidon Classics..so it is a must to have machine {front wheel drive}
*** K.Bajaj RTZ : - As two stroke with "rotary valve" .. a off shoot of Kawasaki KH100 ( which I have one!!)
** TVS 50 XT moped :Great Stuff....which ruled & still rules the road
*Bullet 500 CI:Nothing can beat this, came late when fuel price graph started shooting up^^.at least abroad customers had good run (had one..may have one in future to:-) )
KINETIC HONDA
When every other machines of mid '80s needs hard kicks & pushes, which we were used to for decades together.hm! even my neighborhood aunty just stepped in KH..tring tring !!.Ooz she goes.
Just mesmerized the middle class to upper class with RIDE EASY policy
Plz find my 1985 Kinetic Honda, still in stock condition {invoice for the purchase was raised by m/s Kinetic Engg ., Pune., itself} Almost a CBU guess,,not sure though...but from tail to Nose all of the vital parts say " Made in Japan"

Most of you will hit me, if I suggest a machine from KINETIC , but I can justify with a reason or two...can any one guess ..whats it??
powertwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 15:37   #30
BHPian

Off the current crop I nominate KTM 200, Ninja 250,650, Hyosung 650,250, Cbr 250 and the Hero Impulse. The rest I fell are either too common or too unexciting to become classics.

Most Viewed