Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2010, 19:09   #1
BHPian

Cruize control for a bike (v 2.0)

Thought I'd share my new design version of a cruise control system i've fitted on my bike. heres the link.

Old 19th September 2010, 19:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

@Conrod - This is a good effort, but I wouldn't term it as a real cruise control. If I'm not wrong, what you're doing here is locking the throttle at a certain position so that the power remains the same right?

On a cruise control the speed is maintained instead of controlling the accelerator. What happens is that the ECU remembers what speed the vehicle should be maintaining & adjusts the intake manifold, gears & brakes (if necessary) accordingly.

Typically the difference between the first & second para can be understood when the vehicle runs on slopes. Hope you got what I mean.

The effort is definitely appreciated & will definitely help to rest hands when touring.
Old 19th September 2010, 19:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

I use this CrampBuster - The Original Motorcycle Cruise Control

BTW ,did you DIY that ? .Do you have a pics with switch opened .Good mod . .

Last edited by black12rr : 19th September 2010 at 19:38.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:04   #4
BHPian

@ aargee: you are right, and I stand technically corrected. It is primarily just a throttle lock. But thats about the closest you can get to cruise control on indian bikes for many reasons, the most prominent being the lack of an ECU (although mine has one) and the absence of an automatic gearbox.
This is the second design version, the first being a choke lever modified to jam in-between the twist-grip and the switch console. I had fitted that to my gladiator but that was way too simple and could eventually spoil the twist grip. I am attaching a photo (you'll have to look real close to spot it).

@black12rr: yes, its a DIY mod. pretty simple actually, just a ratchet mechanism. I mainly use this on my long distance trips...
Attached Thumbnails
Cruize control for a bike (v 2.0)-20235_1278363917973_1196267904_30783152_5695506_n.jpg  

Last edited by CoNrOd : 19th September 2010 at 23:06.
Old 20th September 2010, 08:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Black12rr - I've a crampbuster with me & have been using it. Its a good one, but riding in city is really painful with it & touring without it is painful. However you see, fixing it & taking it out from the throttle grip is another headache too.

Personally I prefer this throttle lock, which is convenient.

@Conrod - Some info on it is highly appreciated. Would like to carry the same on Rx.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks