Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 22:45   #31
BHPian

Ok DRIV3R. I shall ask them to give me MRFs for better or else i shall be booking a Unicorn. Sigh!

Lets hope for the best.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 1st October 2010, 23:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Ok DRIV3R. I shall ask them to give me MRFs for better or else i shall be booking a Unicorn. Sigh!

Lets hope for the best.

Thanks,
Ramki

If you are sold on the Pulsar, get the tires swapped man. Don't change the vehicle just because you are not getting the right set of tires. Now, what if Unicorn too comes with those EuroGrip?
Old 1st October 2010, 23:43   #33

Hi Ramki,

I have a 2006 Unicorn (1st gen with new stickering). The rider comfort is excellent for the rider. Its one of the best commuting bike around. But many people who have sat in the back seat have complained it to be little bouncier than pulsar.

You should probably take your wife along in the test ride and check....

Not sure how the new Unicorn is though...

Regards,
Sandeep
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
If you are sold on the Pulsar, get the tires swapped man. Don't change the vehicle just because you are not getting the right set of tires. Now, what if Unicorn too comes with those EuroGrip?
Well sachin, i'm not like i want Pulsar by all means! I know its got brilliant engine and everything is upto my likings.
But having said that, i'm in no mood to accept a vehicle with a manufacturer trying to sell a vehicle knowing that people will take whatever crap it provides. If thats the case, better they keep its vehicles to themselves!!!

And also will do the same if buying Unicorn also. Heard that Honda are providing MRF Zappers only.
Hoping for the best.

Thanks
Ramki
Old 2nd October 2010, 16:12   #35
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for your inputs. To be honest, I hate sports stance and i would like to have an upright stance while riding same as my Fiero F2 but will never ever consider TVS models as i had a horrid time with F2. It gave me many troubles with no fault of mine.

I might consider Unicorn(not dazzler and will have to convince my wify about this!) coz of engine parts wearing out late thank the Pulsar. Does Unicorn (not dazzler) have upright stance while riding? Any negatives/positives of this bike?
I have used my friends Unicorn for a week. Used it for my daily ride - around 14 km one way. Its a very comfortable bike. Engine is smooth, stance is upright and comfortable and most importantly its got mono suspension which are very comfortable. Also I have heard that the quality of parts is better than Pulsar. You should definitely give it a shot. Also please check out Suzuki GS150 - have read good reviews about it, but never driven it. All the best.
Old 2nd October 2010, 17:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

hold on, that's pretty much the joke of the year. Pulsar - brilliant engine? The low end torque of the uni is better (atleast back in 09)!

*cough cough*.

I have a ~60k done P180 (2005). IMNSHO, Unicorn/Apache are better built engines. P220 is VFM ofc, but that's about it. See best engine tech is best done by the gurus (Honda) - its like even maruti doesnt develop their engines, but only stickers - the engines come from suzuki et etc

PS: Interesting thoughts for you for the weekend - thickness of pulsar valves, cost of engine parts(compared to others), the kind of cost cutting done by BAL over the years - compare 2005 to 2010 (for eg between 2005 and 2008 - the disc brake kit price dropped like by 50% and the quality was visibly cut; just the brake oil container costed 700, by 2008, the complete hydraulic kit excl the brake shoes itself was some 700-800)

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd October 2010 at 17:27.
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

PS: Interesting thoughts for you for the weekend - thickness of pulsar valves, cost of engine parts(compared to others), the kind of cost cutting done by BAL over the years - compare 2005 to 2010 (for eg between 2005 and 2008 - the disc brake kit price dropped like by 50% and the quality was visibly cut; just the brake oil container costed 700, by 2008, the complete hydraulic kit excl the brake shoes itself was some 700-800)
We would like to see some proof for the same.

And as for the brake kits, the two suppliers for BAL are Endurance(which also supplies spares to RE) and KBX. Until and unless either KBX and Endurance cut their prices, BAL is not a fool to source it for high and sell the same for a lower price. Heights of exaggeration or Sterotyping?
Old 5th October 2010, 11:47   #38
BHPian

Hi all,

Test rided Pulsar, Unicorn and found that Pulsar has a little sporty like stance which is not upto my liking. Whereas test riding Unicorn gave me smiles with its super smooth engine and gear shifts.

Will be booking CB Unicorn this Saturday and be delivered to me in around 25 days as the sales person says. On-road Rs. 71,466/- , its without number plates, engine guard(common honda u need to give atleast these!). Need to buy it from outside as Honda prices for these are sky high. Does, anybody know shops for good quality engine guard for Unicorn?

Thanks,
Ramki.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be booking CB Unicorn this Saturday and be delivered to me in around 25 days as the sales person says. On-road Rs. 71,466/- , its without number plates, engine guard(common honda u need to give atleast these!).
Congrats Ramki!
Even I think the newer Pulsar 150, even though faster, simply isnt the "balanced" bike it was 5 years ago. A friend's bike even rattles, something not common on the older non-LED tail lamp Pulsars.

PS : I remember buying my bike for 55k on road Pune with everything included in 2005. Boy have the prices risen!
Old 5th October 2010, 15:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Test rided Pulsar, Unicorn and found that Pulsar has a little sporty like stance which is not upto my liking. Whereas test riding Unicorn gave me smiles with its super smooth engine and gear shifts.

Will be booking CB Unicorn this Saturday and be delivered to me in around 25 days as the sales person says. On-road Rs. 71,466/- , its without number plates, engine guard(common honda u need to give atleast these!). Need to buy it from outside as Honda prices for these are sky high. Does, anybody know shops for good quality engine guard for Unicorn?

Thanks,
Ramki.
Congratulations on the perfect buy for you, there is one thing I wanted to ask, how was the whole sales service of the dealership you went to?
Old 5th October 2010, 15:22   #41
BHPian

Well abhay, the below is my experience at the dealership and sales persons:

1. I think that the sales persons are least educated with the vehicles. One example is that i saw the tuff-up tube(as Honda calls them) is only for the rear tyre as given in brochure and by anxiety i asked the sales person is it so and he confidently said its for both tyres and as i showed him the brochure saying only rear tyre he smiled and acknowledged.
2. There was far more crowd to buy/enquire than the sales persons!
3. Had to wait for 15-20 mins for taking a test ride as the test ride guy had gone own without anyone knowing where he has gone!
4. Information about exact delivery of vehicle not given to every sales person.

Having said all these i think you need to do research on your own to know which bike is comfortable to you and not listen to what sales man say.

Coming to the bike test drive experience : The bike is outstanding in engine smoothness, erect stance, turning... man i was smiling .

Hope i answered to your question.

One question to Mods: Is there any Check-list during purchase of a new bike like we have for Cars on this forum?

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 5th October 2010 at 15:40.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any Check-list during purchase of a new bike like we have for Cars on this forum?

Thanks,
Ramki
Not really, just make sure you have checked the electrical functioning, the documents and the accessories requested/promised are installed.

Congrats on the bike and happy motoring
Old 6th October 2010, 11:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thank God!

Hey Ramki

Thank God you did not buy the Pulsar.

I strongly feel the first gen of the Pulsar was the only soildly built and long lasting bike from Bajaj. All the following gens started getting those plastic parts which are more of a show than anything else.

Also, Pulsar brakes (150, 180 and 220) are not good compared to Honda or Hero Honda bikes. According to me, Hero Honda Karizma has the best brakes than any other bike made in India.

Also, the newer Pulsars are not capable of lasting for more than 3-4 years.

For a proof, in Pune at one of the locations, there is a huge 2 wheeler resale market. If you go through this market, you will see that 70% of the bikes on resale are Pulsars. Some of them used less than 1 year too.

You've made a very good choice of Unicorn. Honda engines are excellent. Their FE is also pretty good.

Drive Safely!

Please wear a helmet...ALWAYS.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:47   #44
BHPian

Yes Ajay, i even asked many mechanics to know which bike is better today. And the answer was any bike other than Pulsars!

Guys,
Where can i get spares like engine guard, etc for Unicorn other than Honda showrooms with good quality in Bangalore?

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 6th October 2010, 14:45   #45
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Ajay, i even asked many mechanics to know which bike is better today. And the answer was any bike other than Pulsars!

Guys,
Where can i get spares like engine guard, etc for Unicorn other than Honda showrooms with good quality in Bangalore?

Thanks,
Ramki
One mechanic I spoke too also said that Unicorn in best in quality and Pulsar not so good in quality.

Go to JC Road in Bangalore. You should be able to find most of things you require over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
For a proof, in Pune at one of the locations, there is a huge 2 wheeler resale market. If you go through this market, you will see that 70% of the bikes on resale are Pulsars. Some of them used less than 1 year too.
One reason for this is also the high sales of Pulsar - they sell more than any other brand. So the number of vehicle for resale will also be high.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks