Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2005, 11:37   #1

Enfield-Diesel???

I need some info from you guys. I am a fan of power bikes and I love long rides. However the power and the looks comes at the expense of mileage.
I have a plan to buy a bike, which I want to have for really long time. Enfield matches the requirements, but I had to think in long term, whether the petrol cost will be heavy on my budget.
Then came what I think is revolutionary; “Bio-Diesel”. So I thought why not buy Enfield-Diesel. However the bike is out of production and the only second hand is the available.
The bike engine has some flaws. Could you guide me to what exactly are these flaws?

Last edited by v12 : 4th December 2005 at 15:58.
Old 4th December 2005, 12:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its got a 8bhp pumpset engine. Heard it can give 80kmpl !. Its sluggish, difficult to maintain,start.

You do have to make a choice..power or mileage. Std Bulls does give 40+. CT100 gives 70+ so should be some HH bikes. Pulsar 150/Unicorn/ HH Achiever should be a good choice.

P.S. See that your post aint just HTML codes next time. Its a pain to read. I hope its just not me who sees your post with HTML code
Old 4th December 2005, 12:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Its got a 8bhp pumpset engine. Heard it can give 80kmpl !. Its sluggish, difficult to maintain,start.
80 Kmpl!! wow!..but you have to live with that horrible racket from the engine!!! It sounds just like those Diesel engined autorickshaws..not what a bike should sound like..

What abt power and Mileage?? I think the Pulsar 180 should fit you just fine.
Although i am not sure how comfy it is for long rides??
Old 4th December 2005, 13:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Heard it long back. And it should coz I doubt anyone would have guts to take it above 40-50kmph ! The sound and the smoke!

Also, theres' a bike called Sooraj. Does it exist now?
Old 4th December 2005, 15:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

On the brighter side, you wont need a masseur with that built-in body vibrator.

I believe its good for your digestion, too
Old 4th December 2005, 17:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Orpheus,

Buy a Yezdi. It has decent power, and will do the long haul (some guys done a world tour on a Roadking).

But the best part is, you can run it on a mixture of diesel and petrol. Or kerosene. Or even Chanel No. 5

Seriously man, how can you even CONSIDER the Enfield Diesel?

Have you ever ridden the thing? If you do you will change your mind the moment the thing starts up.

The money you save on fuel could well be blown on your dentist's bills - you need to get your fillings every week if you ride this thing.

If you want economy get a CT 100 & run it on LPG. Last I heard was 200 km on a Rs.70 refill. Do the math on that one.
Old 5th December 2005, 20:30   #7
BHPian

It should be the Honda Unicorn~!
Old 5th December 2005, 22:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Also, theres' a bike called Sooraj. Does it exist now?
Sooraj was based on the Enfield chassis, but came much before the Enfield Bullet. In fact the Sooraj was the "inspiration" (if you can call it that!) for Enfield's diesel. Sooraj was built by a mechanic up north when he wanted a really cheap bike to run about. So he took a Bullet chassis and shoehorned his Greaves pumpset onto it, some modifications here and there and voila! the Sooraj was born. Yes it did 80 kms or more to the diesel litre...

Enfield followed suit a few years later and showed no value addition to the mechanic's original concept despite being a large corporation. They aped him and tried to sell a few of those. They even tried to export it to the UK under the name Enfield Robin, with a very politically correct green color job and nothing else. Pity they didnt see the potential of that diesel engine - it could've been a bike cum pumpset cum generator all rolled into one! An all-in-one farm utility vehicle to complement the tractor!

It was (still is?) the world's first diesel bike, allegedly. And hopefully the last, R.I.P !

In case you're laughing, that very same pumpset powers the Greaves Garuda Auto/Good Carrier, the Tempo (okay, Force Motors) Minidor and the Mahindra 3 wheeler, besides a lot of other 3 wheelers starting from Scooters India's Vikram.

In fact, the only other small capacity diesel in the market must be the one inside Tata's Ace. Everyone else seems to use that antique Greaves Lombardi engine.

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th December 2005 at 22:14.
Old 6th December 2005, 00:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid, Minidor supposedly uses an engine derived from the OM616 Trax engine. Basically one of its cylinders.

I've seen a bullet diesel which had the same crankcase and gearbox from the std petrol bullet but with a different cylinder head etc. It had intake in the front and exhust in the back. 325 cc. Anybody know what engine the Bajaj diesel autos use?

US Air Force has just launched a diesel bike that that they commisioned. Its basically a Kawasaki 650 enduro with a diesel engine. This is so that they can use the same fuel for all their road vehicles.
For ultimate economy go for LPG kit like AK mentioned. But I wonder where is the room to fit the tank.
Old 6th December 2005, 01:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Mpower, you're right.

Greaves small diesel engine unit was hived off to Piaggio, after which its competitors had to look for alternate engines. Force Motors went on record saying that its 3 wheelers had a Mercedes combustion chamber, which probably means they're using one of the cylinders....its a 499 cc 7bhp unit.
Old 6th December 2005, 03:46   #11
Max
BHPian

orpheus wake up !!! where you are gonna get this bike ? museum ?
Old 6th December 2005, 08:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think I saw this green diesel bull when I was in germany. Should have taken a pix ( I never saw it ridden, it was parked parked parked ther! )
Old 6th December 2005, 15:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Pictures:

http://singlebeat.gentei.org/catalog...in/dr400d.html

UK National Motorcycle Museum

Diesel Motorcycles

The Robin that was sold in Europe allegedly had a Japanese pumpset and not a Greaves pumpset. I'm not sure how correct that information is....because the ones I've seen in the UK had the Greaves pumpset and was called Robin.
Old 6th December 2005, 17:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Bajaj GC1000 uses a Kubota diesel...IMO the smoothest single cyl diesel around. Its much better than the Ape engine.

I ve seen a water cooled single cyl diesel in the Arjun UV. It looks about 500cc and is quite smooth. Mated to a Jeep 3 speed gearbox.

The diesel bullet is a genetic anomaly and should never have been allowed to see the light of day. I mean, you could lose your ability to have kids riding the damn thing.
Old 6th December 2005, 22:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
The diesel bullet is a genetic anomaly and should never have been allowed to see the light of day. I mean, you could lose your ability to have kids riding the damn thing.
If Sanjay Gandhi was around, he would have offered a subsidy on diesel bullets to control the population growth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks