Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 22:05   #16
BHPian

The rust patches are are quite minor!
As long as your Electra in running in a top notch condition i would not bother about these.
Try cleaning it will chrome polish or put it through a diesel wash.
And keep riding the bike. Do not store it unless really necessary.
Old 9th November 2010, 14:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
The rust patches are are quite minor!
As long as your Electra in running in a top notch condition i would not bother about these.
Try cleaning it will chrome polish or put it through a diesel wash.
And keep riding the bike. Do not store it unless really necessary.
Boss, what exactly do you mean by diesel wash???
Old 9th November 2010, 18:35   #18
BHPian

Diesel wash..
Using Diesel to scrub off stubborn grease, oil, slush, muck etc stains from your bike
Soap water also does the job but from my personal experience diesel does it better.
The key is to use a cloth dipped in diesel and scrub of stains by applying slight pressure.
Relatively effortless.
Its quite common at service centres.
Old 10th November 2010, 04:06   #19
BHPian

What is it advantage? Does it prevent rusting? How often should it be done?
I have heard about using diesel and 2T oil combo for preventing rust. Is it effective???
Old 10th November 2010, 17:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Diesel wash..
Using Diesel to scrub off stubborn grease, oil, slush, muck etc stains from your bike
Soap water also does the job but from my personal experience diesel does it better.
The key is to use a cloth dipped in diesel and scrub of stains by applying slight pressure.
Relatively effortless.
Its quite common at service centres.

Thanks for the tip bro. However, we are dealing with rust and not stains. I have tried rubbing the crash guard with kerosene but there is absolutely no change. I heard that that there is some white powder that is usually sold on petrol pumps which helps in removal of rust. Need to check it out. Any idea what it is?
Old 10th November 2010, 18:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Try using 3M finnet rubbing cream on the rusted parts and then rub it with the white powder which is called nickel powder. At the end if you want it like new then only getting re-chromed is a way out or you could even get all the rusted parts replaced with new ones. That might be cheaper then getting few parts re-chromed.
Old 13th November 2010, 20:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Try using 3M finnet rubbing cream on the rusted parts and then rub it with the white powder which is called nickel powder. At the end if you want it like new then only getting re-chromed is a way out or you could even get all the rusted parts replaced with new ones. That might be cheaper then getting few parts re-chromed.

Update on the matter,

Had taken the bike to the service station to get a final verdict on the rust problem as well as to get the servicing done before i get the bike tomorrow to Mumbai.

The service guy spend almost half a day rubbing the bike with the white powder and also got it cleaned with diesel. The small rust "spots" on the mudguard have reduced, however the rust on the ignition and the oil filter are quite visible.

The front crash guard after the diesel wash and the powder treatment has not budged at all !!

Finally have decided to send it for buffing (Last chance) before i change the whole thing.

Shall be posting the Before and After photos tomorrow morning after i wash the bike myself.
Old 22nd November 2010, 23:49   #23

Dear 350,

I have seen the pictures and as mentioned in the posts above these are relatively minor rust patches that would in no way interfere with the functionality of the thumpper.
I understand you wanting to get rid of the rust patches so as to have a perfectly looking clean bike, I would strongly advise against changing any of the rust affected parts as from the pictures it shows that the rust has not started eating into your parts, it has affected only the top chromed layers and shall pose as a threat if not taken care of soon, this I say as I had exactly the same issue with my thumpper as well.
I reckon you mentioning that you will be getting the bike down to Mumbai and if I may suggest that let the parts remain and upon arriving remove the rust affected parts and get them chrome plated from a good chrome plating setup.
incase you are not aware of any pls PM me and I will send you my number and right close to where I live there is this plating company which handels jobs like these daily and does it in a short period of time.
Cheers and let me know if you require any assistance with your thumpper issues.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraa View Post
Dear 350,

I have seen the pictures and as mentioned in the posts above these are relatively minor rust patches that would in no way interfere with the functionality of the thumpper.
I understand you wanting to get rid of the rust patches so as to have a perfectly looking clean bike, I would strongly advise against changing any of the rust affected parts as from the pictures it shows that the rust has not started eating into your parts, it has affected only the top chromed layers and shall pose as a threat if not taken care of soon, this I say as I had exactly the same issue with my thumpper as well.
I reckon you mentioning that you will be getting the bike down to Mumbai and if I may suggest that let the parts remain and upon arriving remove the rust affected parts and get them chrome plated from a good chrome plating setup.
incase you are not aware of any pls PM me and I will send you my number and right close to where I live there is this plating company which handels jobs like these daily and does it in a short period of time.
Cheers and let me know if you require any assistance with your thumpper issues.

Thanks a lot Rahul for the advice

I have got the bike to Mumbai last Sunday and it is with me now (Finally). Regarding the chrome plating, i tried enquiring with some local garrages and i was told that the cost of crome plating the parts will be equal to the new ones !!

Hence i postponed the idea. Also, for a fact i agree with you that the parts are in good condition and that only the surface has become rusty. Infact while cleaning the parts with kerosene i found out that the parts are not totally affected, it is just that there are "patches" and "spots" of rust on the parts and therefore replacing them completely is not the last solution.

Incase you know someone who can get the parts re-chromed at a reasonable rate then i can surely go for it. The MRP of the front leg guard is approx 850 INR without the labour charges and the filter cover is around Rs. 750. If possible, do let me know the costs involved in re-chroming the parts and maybe i then i can even get my fuel tank chromed !!
Old 7th February 2011, 15:50   #25
BHPian

Re: Starting Bullet after a year

Dear all, further to the issues of rusting, my bull has now started me giving a new trouble.

Firstly, even after riding a good distance of 30 kms, the battery is not getting charged. The bike refused to auto start even after i rode for 30 kms.

The latest problem is that, once i switch on the ignition, initially the neutral indicator used to come and go but now it is not at all coming !! further, the bike is just not starting at all !! I cannot understand as to why the bike is behaving this way. I presume the new bullet Electra 5s to be precise, does not give any trouble in starting even if the battery is not charged, however, i am unable to understand the issue.

Please let me know as to what can be done at this stage. have not tried "dhakka start" as yet as i thought maybe there is some other way of resolving the issue.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:32   #26
BHPian

I am not pretty sure but guess the fuse underneath the seat is gone.Try finding the root cause for this, most probably a spliced wire touching the body.Replace the fuse and i hope that the bike would start
Old 7th February 2011, 18:03   #27
BHPian

It looks like an electrical snag. Try tracing the battery wire and you might hit on something which has gone wrong. Also check if the battery is charged or gets charged when the bike is in motion later.

This should solve your issue. Let us know.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:55   #28
BHPian

Thanks zoom & star !!

I have checked with the battery terminals since i was under an impression that there might be some loose contact. However, the terminals are as good as noew with no residue over it. Suddenly somehow the battery has gone D E A D !!

No response what so ever from brake light or even an indicator !! will be taking the battery for charging today. Lets hope it is nothing major !! will keep you all posted on the same.

However, my actual question still remains unanswered as to why the new bullets cannot kick start if the battery is discharged ???

Advice please....
Old 4th July 2011, 19:33   #29
BHPian

Some updates on the status of the bike :

I always wanted to get the classic vintage look on my bike. Once the bullet classic was launched, I was pretty sure that this was the look that i dreamt of.

Modifications done:

1. Change in Number plate - The earlier number plate below the headlight has now been replaced by the casting one on the front mudguard.

2. The Electra tank somehow never had the rubber part attachment that came with the Bullet machismo or even on the earlier vintage bikes. Hence got it fitted on the bike.

3. The most important modification was the single seat. Had done a thorough research on team bhp forum before taking the plunge. Somehow the seat with springs did not impress me much and therefore got the seat custom made. The original set of seats in the showroom costs approximately Rs. 4000. However, i got mine custom made (as per my size ) just for Rs. 500 !!

The "BEFORE" pics are already in this thread on page no. 1.

Attaching the "AFTER" pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting Bullet after a year-img00260201107021514.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img00261201107021514.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img00271201107022345.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img00275201107022348.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img00277201107031332.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img00278201107031333.jpg  

Old 4th July 2011, 22:47   #30
BHPian

Nice one.. VFM mod job