Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 11:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tires for Pulsar 180 UG3-Your suggestions please!

MODS:Though this thread is about tires,i am posting it in this section because the tires in discussion are the bike tires.If you feel its an inappropriate thread in this section,please move it to the correct section.Thank you

I have a Pulsar 180 UG3 which has done 20,000 kms till now.I am running on stock tires

Rear-100/90-17 MRF ZAPPER -C
Front-2.75-17 MRF ZAPPER-FS

Due to a wobbling problem and also the age of the tires i am changing both front and rear tires.

I want to up-size the tires at both front and rear.Am thinking about 120/80-17 at rear and 90/90-17 at front.

I am not happy about the MRF zappers grip.It fish tails under moderate braking and tramlines a lot.In rains it does not inspire any confidence at all to brake.I need tires which offer super dry grip and a very decent wet grip.Please suggest good available tires for both front and rear which meet this criteria and also the price of them.I am not worried about longivity.If the tire lasts 15K kms,its more than enough for me.But i need loads of grip.

Also,180 UG3 comes with a chain guard.I am not interested in doing any mods like cutting or removing the chain guard to fit the up-sized tires.Will 120/80-17 fit without any alterations?And is FZ's 100/80-17 a good option for the front?

And lastly,can i fit a tubeless tire on my alloy wheels?Right now i am running on tube types.

Thank you
Old 13th October 2010, 13:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Size : 90/90 x 17 for front is OK. 120/80x17 may foul with the mudguard. It will definitely require the removal of the tyre hugger, if your bike is fitted with one. Think 110/80 will be more suitable.

2. Make : There seems to be general short supply of tires (at least in Pune last month). Bear this in mind while hunting. All zapper tyres will have the problem of tramlining and fish-tailing in the wet. I haven't done any research on the hard / soft compounds, but Dunlop and Ceat appear to be better than the rest. And, there are quite a few variety of tread patterns in both. The new model of Dunlop front tyre 2.75x18 for Unicorn cost about Rs. 1700/- last month. The tyre which I had least problems was the Ceat Secura. I think they have launched a new sport model now. Dunlop also has launched some new patterns (which was the one we purchased) - however, I have a doubt that it actually manufactured by 'falcon' and not by 'dunlop'.

3. Tubeless : Heard (or read) somewhere that Bajaj has already fitted tubeless tyres on their Pulsar range. So, if your wheels are OK, shouldn't be a problem fitting tubeless tyres.
Old 13th October 2010, 16:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have a Pulsar 180 UG3 which has done 20,000 kms till now.I am running on stock tires

Rear-100/90-17 MRF ZAPPER -C
Front-2.75-17 MRF ZAPPER-FS

Due to a wobbling problem and also the age of the tires i am changing both front and rear tires.

I am not happy about the MRF zappers grip.It fish tails under moderate braking and tramlines a lot.In rains it does not inspire any confidence at all to brake.I need tires which offer super dry grip and a very decent wet grip.
Thank you
Wobbling can be due to other reasons too, please check on that. 20,000 is a lot less to change the tyres, unless you use them very hard.. My bike I have 30 k km's and still running without any problem on the stock. Not a single punchure on them (touch wood).

Also I presume there is a new tyre comming out from TVS which is said to be very good. Please check on that too. As mine is stock running fine, I have no experience with other brand.
Old 13th October 2010, 16:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Wobbling can be due to other reasons too, please check on that. 20,000 is a lot less to change the tyres, unless you use them very hard.. My bike I have 30 k km's and still running without any problem on the stock. Not a single punchure on them (touch wood).

Also I presume there is a new tyre comming out from TVS which is said to be very good. Please check on that too. As mine is stock running fine, I have no experience with other brand.

Well after looking all the aspects the wobbling issue was found out to be due to the tyres.The tyres look fine.But they have become hard.And since i ride mainly on highways,i want good grip and handling.

Which TVS tyre?can you please give the link to it?

Most Viewed