Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 17:08   #1
BHPian

Avenger 180CC - My Bike, My Life & The Revenge of the !Avengerous Savvy Mechanics

Avenger 180CC - My Bike, My Life & The Revenge of the !Avengerous Savvy Mechanics

Details about my Avenger 180CC.
Purchased: Nov'2005
Odometer Reading: 67000
Daily Mileage: 60-70 Kms
Average Fuel Mileage: 40-42 KMPL

Have been facing a few issues with my Avenger off late. Tried Bajaj Pro-Biking and a zillion of other mechanics, but none seem to hold expertise in handling Avengerous Issues. Most of the mechanics have the same thing to say "Issue with the Carburetor/Fuel Pump/Air Filter/Piston/Spark Plug/This & That" but nothing ever worked to resolve the issue.

Hope I get some help here. I am not willing to seperate myself from my Avenger. God forbidden, if I have to, I am sure my next bike would also be an Avenger and nothing else. The only differnce would be to elevate myself from 180CC to 220CC.

Now, let me crib about my issues.

1. Auto Revs: Everytime I stop my bike at either Traffic Signals or any where else for that matter of fact, the bike revs up for some time, before cooling down. This has been on for the past 6-7 months. Was asked to change the Carburetor, but to no anvil. The bike still Auto Revs for a couple of seconds before cooling down. Looks like it is venting its anger on me for no mistake of mine. Sometimes, I had to manually adjust the idling to calm it down.

2. Leaks and Springs: There's a BLACK Oil patch on my engine and sorrounding areas. Last time, when my bike was hospitalized, I was told that The Oil Rings need to be misplaced. I affirmed him to change it ASAP. However, I still see those Black Oil Patch turning darker and darker each day. This is something, that is worrying me the most.

3. Thud, Thud & Thuds: There's a faint thud sound while driving the bike. This is mostly inaudible and can be heard clearly, when there's no traffic around or I am riding on a cratered road. It like the sound of Brake Drum, but the mechanic's say it isin't so.

4. Creesh Creesh of Clutch Pads: There's a creeshing sound, which I know is emitted from the clutch pads, especially when I am driving in heavy traffic. This is normally noticed, when I do a half-clutch or a partial clutch. Changed the Clutch Pads & Clutch Cable but the sound doesnot seem to go.

5. Replacing the Heart: Recently got the piston changed but the performance hasn't improved.

There are a lot more issues, which I would post slowly and steadily, as I am not wiling to bog you all with my issues. Moreover, I am not willing to get my TBHP Handle changed from Traveloholic to Issue'O'holic

I was wondering if someone could lead me to a very good mechanic in Hyderabad to do the total rehash of my bike again. Would love to get my bike rejuvenated and phase in a new lease of life for my Avengerous Ride.
Old 14th October 2010, 17:40   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
1. Auto Revs: Everytime I stop my bike at either Traffic Signals or any where else for that matter of fact, the bike revs up for some time, before cooling down. This has been on for the past 6-7 months. Was asked to change the Carburetor, but to no anvil. The bike still Auto Revs for a couple of seconds before cooling down. Looks like it is venting its anger on me for no mistake of mine. Sometimes, I had to manually adjust the idling to calm it down.
I had the same problem in my Pulsar 150. The culprit was found out to be the accelerator wire. And it took just 5 mins to change the damn thing that had been irritating me for a couple of weeks.

Have you tried out Castrol Bike Zones. The one in Delhi did a great job on my bike.
http://www.castrolbikezone.com/deale...city=Hyderabad

Last edited by akshaymahajan : 14th October 2010 at 17:42.
Old 14th October 2010, 17:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I had the same problem in my Pulsar 150. The culprit was found out to be the accelerator wire. And it took just 5 mins to change the damn thing that had been irritating me for a couple of weeks.
Thanks Akshay for the input. Shall ask my Mechanic to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Have you tried out Castrol Bike Zones. The one in Delhi did a great job on my bike.
Castrol
I've tried Castrol Bike Zone once but was never satisfactory of the result. If someone in Hyderabad knows or has experienced C.B.Z., I would love to hear from them.

The main problem I am facing is, my Dear Ol' Mechanic, who used to service my bike has left for Dubai for good & I don't think he would return back so soon. Hence, I have been scouting for a good mechanic for the past 1.5 years & never encountered even one who was half his knowledge. I miss my dear Mechanic "Raoof" even today.
Old 14th October 2010, 19:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

First thing is, you may want to PM or ask this guy - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...r-problem.html

Quote:
1. Auto Revs:
Are you using a stock carb? How about the main & pilot jet sizes? Are they stock too? What's the condition of the spring in the air screw? Hope there isn't any air leaks in the intake manifold. Does this issue occur only when the engine is warm/hot or even at cold stage?

Quote:
2. Leaks and Springs:
What's the condition on engine oil seal? Have you checked that?

Quote:
3. Thud, Thud & Thuds:
Is it from the brake drum or from sprocket? Can you do a little more R&D on this to find out where this occurs from?

Quote:
4. Creesh Creesh of Clutch Pads:
Sorry mate; I'm weak with clutch

Quote:
5. Replacing the Heart:
If you need performance improvement, you need to polish the head. But be very cautious & get this done only by very experienced person.

Are you saying you did a rebore on the cylinder? If so, what's the new piston size?
Old 14th October 2010, 19:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Akshay for the input. Shall ask my Mechanic to do this.
I miss my dear Mechanic "Raoof" even today.
If the culprit is not the acclerator cable then trying the Air-Fuel ratio might help.

And frankly, having one single mech really helps as he knows about your bike. Why dont you try asking him for a reference of a good mechanic in hyd, if you are in contact with him?

EDIT: Just seen aargee posting about similar stuff
Old 14th October 2010, 19:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
First thing is, you may want to PM or ask this guy - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...r-problem.html
Thanks Aargee for your detailed response. I've seen this thread too. The problem seems to be way different from what he had. His vehicle wasn't accelerating and mine is accelerating to extremes.

Quote:
Are you using a stock carb? How about the main & pilot jet sizes? Are they stock too? What's the condition of the spring in the air screw? Hope there isn't any air leaks in the intake manifold. Does this issue occur only when the engine is warm/hot or even at cold stage?
Yes, got his new carb from Bajaj Pro-Biking Showroom. I think I need to make a checklist of all your questions and pose them to my mechanic. The issue occurs only when the engine is hot, especially after driving for a couple of Kms. This issue isin't there in the Cold Stage.

Quote:
What's the condition on engine oil seal? Have you checked that?
Got the Engine Oil Seals changed recently, but still see that the oil tends to leak. The patch gets darker and darker every passing day.

Quote:
Is it from the brake drum or from sprocket? Can you do a little more R&D on this to find out where this occurs from?
Might have to do some R&D on this. I recently got my Chain Sprocket changed. Could be it be an issue with the Chain Sprocket?

Quote:
If you need performance improvement, you need to polish the head. But be very cautious & get this done only by very experienced person.
Do you mean that, I get the Piston Head polished?

Quote:
Are you saying you did a rebore on the cylinder? If so, what's the new piston size?
The mechanic said that he has changed the piston. I really do not know if he did a rebore of it. I might sound stupid with this "Is reboring and changing the piston the same thing?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If the culprit is not the acclerator cable then trying the Air-Fuel ratio might help.
Thanks Abhinav. Let me try this option too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
And frankly, having one single mech really helps as he knows about your bike. Why dont you try asking him for a reference of a good mechanic in hyd, if you are in contact with him?
I know. I agree to what you say. A single mechanic is always the best option. No one knows your bike better than the one who has spent a lot of time on it. The only person, who would spend a lot of time on your bike after you is your trusted mechanic.
Old 14th October 2010, 20:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem seems to be way different from what he had. His vehicle wasn't accelerating and mine is accelerating to extremes.
Well, you may want to seek his help so that he could take a second opinion from his mechanic isn't it?

Quote:
The issue occurs only when the engine is hot, especially after driving for a couple of Kms. This issue isin't there in the Cold Stage.
Good; so what about the rubbers in the intake manifold? Have they also been changed accordingly? An assumption is the rubbers getting expanded & allow some air leaks. Are you running a lean mixture to get the cylinder hotter soon?

Quote:
Got the Engine Oil Seals changed recently, but still see that the oil tends to leak. The patch gets darker and darker every passing day.
Some pics pls?

Quote:
Might have to do some R&D on this. I recently got my Chain Sprocket changed. Could be it be an issue with the Chain Sprocket?
Are they OE sprockets? I'd a fake one (Thanks to con mechs) on my Rx & got it changed yesterday with OE; Wow, the pleasure of experiencing the OE is priceless.

Quote:
Do you mean that, I get the Piston Head polished?
Err...not the piston, but the cylinder head so that there is more space for the engine to breathe in & out so that you get a better response. If experimented, then you lose the entire engine as the gases inside causes so much trouble. So be very careful & question the experienced expert atleast 100 times or take a chance

Quote:
The mechanic said that he has changed the piston. I really do not know if he did a rebore of it. I might sound stupid with this "Is reboring and changing the piston the same thing?"
See in 4 stroke engine, only the rings needs to be changed as the oil is pumped underneath unlike 2 stroke engines. So a bigger rings on the existing piston is more than sufficient & a slight increase in the walls of cylinder; you may call it rebore if you want. But if you'd rebored, that's what I like to know why. Were you experiencing a white smoke coming out from the engine before the mech changed this job?

Quote:
A single mechanic is always the best option.
Yes, a single mech is sufficient to rip you off; DO NOT repeat the same mistake as what I did by visiting the same mech over & again. Over a period he understands your weakness & turns you to cash cow. He should understand that you've several options other than him.

Quote:
No one knows your bike better than the one who has spent a lot of time on it. The only person, who would spend a lot of time on your bike after you is your trusted mechanic.
Better learn yourself on the motorcycle rather than trusting someone else.

Last edited by aargee : 14th October 2010 at 20:27.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Details about my Avenger 180CC.
Purchased: Nov'2005
Odometer Reading: 67000
Daily Mileage: 60-70 Kms
Average Fuel Mileage: 40-42 KMPL

Have been facing a few issues with my Avenger off late. Tried Bajaj Pro-Biking and a zillion of other mechanics, but none seem to hold expertise in handling Avengerous Issues. Most of the mechanics have the same thing to say "Issue with the Carburetor/Fuel Pump/Air Filter/Piston/Spark Plug/This & That" but nothing ever worked to resolve the issue.

Hope I get some help here. I am not willing to seperate myself from my Avenger. God forbidden, if I have to, I am sure my next bike would also be an Avenger and nothing else. The only differnce would be to elevate myself from 180CC to 220CC.

Now, let me crib about my issues.

2. Leaks and Springs: There's a BLACK Oil patch on my engine and sorrounding areas. Last time, when my bike was hospitalized, I was told that The Oil Rings need to be misplaced. I affirmed him to change it ASAP. However, I still see those Black Oil Patch turning darker and darker each day. This is something, that is worrying me the most.

3. Thud, Thud & Thuds: There's a faint thud sound while driving the bike. This is mostly inaudible and can be heard clearly, when there's no traffic around or I am riding on a cratered road. It like the sound of Brake Drum, but the mechanic's say it isin't so.

4. Creesh Creesh of Clutch Pads: There's a creeshing sound, which I know is emitted from the clutch pads, especially when I am driving in heavy traffic. This is normally noticed, when I do a half-clutch or a partial clutch. Changed the Clutch Pads & Clutch Cable but the sound doesnot seem to go.

5. Replacing the Heart: Recently got the piston changed but the performance hasn't improved.

There are a lot more issues, which I would post slowly and steadily, as I am not wiling to bog you all with my issues. Moreover, I am not willing to get my TBHP Handle changed from Traveloholic to Issue'O'holic

I was wondering if someone could lead me to a very good mechanic in Hyderabad to do the total rehash of my bike again. Would love to get my bike rejuvenated and phase in a new lease of life for my Avengerous Ride.
I had an avenger 180 for quite some time and faced the few issues that you have mentioned

1. Auto Revs: - The solution that I did was two folds - change the complete accelerator cable i.e inner and outter cable both together and also get the release spring on the carburattor changed. Release spring is the same spring on which the accelerator cable is connected to the carb. Mine was pretty rusted and hence the change. you can try the wd 40 first if required.

2. Leaks and Springs: For this you need to get the oil seals on the head changed, the packing between the two head units also needs to be changed, Tappet settings need to be corrected. When the head units oil seals are changed, use the special black coloured bostic glue to keep any irregularities at bay in the oil seal and the head unit.

about the schreeching in the clutch plates, use nulon engine oil additive in a brand new engine oil, use it for 1500 kms -drain the oil and put in fresh new oil probably synthetic - this should help reduce the noise.

Hope this helps.
Kailash
Old 15th October 2010, 08:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Mine was pretty rusted and hence the change. you can try the wd 40 first if required.
I strongly support this; there're chances that the cable or spring gets heated up causing this trouble. But I would straightly change the cables instead of WD40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
2. Leaks and Springs:
Well well, probably this is the reason why the cylinder was rebored or rings being changed on the first hand is it? Now, even after that the leaks are still happening probably. Is my assumption right here @T-holic?
Old 24th February 2018, 23:28   #10

Re: Avenger 180CC - My Bike, My Life & The Revenge of the !Avengerous Savvy Mechanics

Quote:

So! with the new 180cc launch a few days back, do you finally have an option to go for a full-fledged replacement (while still keeping your loyalty totally intact)? I am an Avenger 180 owner of the same model as yours (Feb, 2006). My bike rides well but comes up with periodic repairs and parts replacements. I am seriously thinking of exchanging it with the new model soon. What's on your mind my friend?
Old 26th February 2018, 12:05   #11
BHPian

Re: Avenger 180CC - My Bike, My Life & The Revenge of the !Avengerous Savvy Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikasnprabhu View Post
I am seriously thinking of exchanging it with the new model soon. What's on your mind my friend?
Hey Vikas,

I don't think the new model they have launched has ABS. So absolutely no point in buying the 180 version they launched just now.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Old 26th February 2018, 14:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hey Vikas,

I don't think the new model they have launched has ABS. So absolutely no point in buying the 180 version they launched just now.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Hi friend,

ABS was never in question. I was pondering on the new model merely as a new replacement to an old one that is facing increasing repairs nowadays. However, as you brought up the ABS point and given that ABS is going to be mandatory in April, 2019, I now have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to get ABS fitted on old bikes, come April 2019?
2. I wonder how much hike in bike prices will happen when ABS comes in as mandatory fitment?

If, as is the perception today, ABS will be mandatory only on bikes manufactured post April, 2019 then it may make sense to get a new model right now when the prices are low, isn't it?

Any thoughts?

With regards,
Vikas.
Old 26th February 2018, 15:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikasnprabhu View Post
ABS was never in question.
Hey Vikas, I understand that ABS was never in question. But since the question was about buying a new bike, I merely pointed out the fact that there is no point in considering a non-ABS bike.

Quote:
Is it possible to get ABS fitted on old bikes?
It is doable for sure. But not sure if it is practical or has a straightforward and easy way to retrofit an ABS to a non-ABS bike.

Quote:
it may make sense to get a new model right now when the prices are low, isn't it?
Again, why would you consider picking up a bike without ABS at this stage? If the reason is the "cost" alone, we would suggest you hold on to your urge to upgrade for a couple of more months so that you can save up and pick up a model that has ABS.

Life is too precious and it would make sense to spend a little extra and get the safer option than save that couple of thousands.

Ride safe,
R-Six
Old 5th July 2018, 22:37   #14

So, as we move closer to 2019, is there any news about the Avengers coming with ABS in the 2019 editions?

I can see that they are launching some great offers (eg. the hattrick offer) on the Bajaj website. This could be an indicator that they are trying to clear old stocks before the ABS version comes into the market.

One website guy (link) seems to be confirming the ABS roll-out in 2019.

Any thoughts or updates fellow Avenger friends?

Thanks,
Vikas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks