Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2010, 14:07   #16
BHPian

I tend to agree with the thread starter about the price of the Ninja. So here's what I suggest..why dont you see if you can find a used 250R. I have seen a couple on sale on other forums so you'd do well to snoop around!
Old 16th October 2010, 14:23   #17
BHPian

well if you are ob budget buy the r15 .i have it for 2 years goes at 110 km/hr non stop without stress and without vibes plus no drag of wind by the excellent front shield . i also did a lahual spiti trip this year on r15. it goes there with ease but your wrists and back take some beatings. otherwise you cant go wrong with it.
Old 16th October 2010, 18:38   #18
BHPian

Rx135, as a Classic 500 Owner, I will advise you not to reject it just yet. 100-120 on a smooth tramac is no hassel at all. A brief summary of my recent ride.

I did a 550 km ride with night driving, bad terrain, mumbai city traffic everything in Flat 10 hours. And This was with more than 9.5 hours of continuous rain.

Mumbai-Nasik-Sinnar Shirdi : 3:40 am Bandra to Shridi 8:45am Never did this road before so was clueless how the highway was. was driving quite slow till sunrise. After that >100 kmph was a breeze even in the rain.

Shridi-Sinnar-Ghoti (seriously bad stretch but very scenic road)-Igatpuri - Mumbai : 11:30 am-4:45 pm (last 7kms from Kurla to bandra took 30 Mins)
There will be a sore butt and that is it, no back pain or anything. On top of this I was carrying a Backpack as well. I took a break every 1 hour for 5 mins

I ran the bike stock but tyre upgrades and synthetic oil etc seem to improve the performance of the bike. Will try all those after the warranty period is over.
Old 18th October 2010, 12:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

@sheel, @argee, @n_aditya, thanks a bunch for your details inputs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Looking at all the above factors, I am surprised why you are not considering the Classic 500.
To own an RE, you need to be part of that cult, which unfortunately I am not. I have a friend, who is willing to loan me his RE for long distance rides, but I am not very keen. Nothing wrong with REs, just that I don't belong to that category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
i also did a lahual spiti trip this year on r15. it goes there with ease but your wrists and back take some beatings. otherwise you cant go wrong with it.
That is a very very interesting piece of information, only thing I which need to consider that I am in Pune and you are in Ludhiana, which is not too far from Lahual-Spiti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
If you throw an open question like this, we could discuss till kingdom come and not be able to decide on a bike: the passionate people that we are.
All the best!
I agree with it and I don't intend to start any flame wars here But, it has been ages since I am waiting to upgrade my RX and not finding suitable replacement (again no offense to new generation bikes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice_alto View Post
Now coming to the thread-starter, I think you are asking the heaven and earth and everything in between them and not willing to pay. In my honest opinion, the best bike for you would be a ZMA. It is a very reliable bike as opposed to a bullet. If you want to move on from single cylinders and upgrade, then I think you will have to cough up more in current scenario. Either wait for better times or pay more now.
You may be right, but Ninja still looks overpriced to me. May be 2L-2.25L would have been more appropriate. I remember, few years back when BMW was selling its quite weird looking bike (400cc? Funduro?), it was retailing close to 2.25L, though initially priced almost double of it. If I am shelling out 3L, which I don't mind, I would expect at least 400cc. (Honda is talking of 250cc at 1.5L). Though R15 was touted as too expensive when they launched, Ninja suddenly makes it look like a complete VFM.

For me, riding experience matters more than the gizmos and technology that goes under the hood. Probably single most important reason, why I am still unable to replace my "outdated" RX135.

I am willing to wait more

Last edited by RX135 : 18th October 2010 at 12:40.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
You may be right, but Ninja still looks overpriced to me. May be 2L-2.25L would have been more appropriate.
Let me try telling something that's little OT, but more appropriate here. No offense, even if Ninja were priced in 2.25L range, the general human nature will be, "err...why not price is around 1.75L range like the old Comet?".

Now, see the price of Comet around 1.9L in 2001/02 for a 26 bhp motor with no FI compared to the modern day's 33bhp with FI & an excellent service backup? How does that sound?

Well the comparison may not be relevant, but the point is, no matter whatever pricing it is, the general human tendency is to ask for lower. However, I don't justify saying its correctly priced.

Quote:
For me, riding experience matters more than the gizmos and technology that goes under the hood. Probably single most important reason, why I am still unable to replace my "outdated" RX135.
Sorry to say, you need to define what is a riding experience. One of quote that insipires me is - "I don't let my motorcycle interfere with my motorcycling". So it doesn't matter which motorcycle you ride & its the experience that matters.

To give you what I'm trying to convey, decide upon the ride you want. Say you need a Duc 1100 Monster, but there're practical difficulties such as service centre & valve replacements & the cost; so what could be worked on today's scenario would be a HD (assuming HD opens up a Chennai dealer soon), Ninja, RE & R15. Now decide the affordability, likes & dislikes. May be you want to score of HD & RE as you may not like them. So the next contenders are R15 & Ninja. Say, if you think Ninja is over priced for the power & R15 is too common, then you may want to wait & keep working on your budget so that you can afford for the ONE you're waiting for or buy the one that you can afford today from the contenders & enjoy the ride while you wait.

And remember, waiting for the ONE you love may result up in waiting for ever too
Old 18th October 2010, 15:18   #21
BHPian

I thought I can add my share of confusion

Quote:
Folks,

I am looking for something which is:
  • Be fast
  • Mile cruncher. Something which can do 110-120 for hours in relaxed manner (not top speed).
  • Reliable (and possibly serviceable).
There are just few bikes that can match your list, of which you've mentioned all except the ZMA.

I've taken 600 - 700 km rides (split over a couple of days) on my R15 with 110-125 kmph speeds over long distances. The bike is pretty awesome but is kinda affected by cross-winds (my weight not withstanding ) - R15 is also a technology tour-de-force for India. And it is priced at 1.10L approx

BUT, it is a pain to drive in the city with frequent downshifts at speed-breakers (which are quite ubiquitous in Bangalore)

For effortless cruising @ 100 - 110 kmph, ZMA is awesome. It does feel strained and doesn't go over 115 kmph (I don't know about ZMR)

R15 is tad underpowered to my liking (despite me doing some work to boost its power by 3-4 bhp) - I just have few more options to increase the performance of my bike - Reduce my weight, ... !

But you forgive everything about R15 once you attack corners like a devil. If you are not a twisty kinda guy, give R15 a miss.

All said, Ninja is the best choice if you are ready to shell that kinda money. In all probabilities, I'd have bought a Ninja if it were available when I bought R15.

Since you tend to keep your bike for long, go for Ninja and forget about rest - You can thank me when you smoke the other bikes (mentioned) on the highway!
Old 18th October 2010, 15:57   #22
BHPian

I would like to help, like every one else but RX135 please add in the valuable decision which has to be made by only you.
How much are you willing to shell out for this new machine?
Get realistic on the amount and your options will narrow down to the bike which you would be living with for a long time from now.

My needs are the same, I own a RX 135 too.
I really can't stretch my finance to get a 250R at this point.
RE vibrates like crazy on empty roads and high speed, but its too good on the basic Indian roads.

Would love a 400cc-600cc machine at 4L (will be a dream come true) Wont everyone here? It will be a perfect upgrade.
Old 18th October 2010, 18:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

@RX,

Dude, I suggest that you go for the 250R. Or wait. Everything else is a compromise.

I am wondering what to do with my 135 as well.
Old 18th October 2010, 20:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Would like to give a little different perspective here.
Be it R15 or Ninja 250R, what's the objective? To get a comfortable, smooth, motorcycling experience & trust me, to get an attention on the road once in a while & to have a blasting experience, if not everyday, some days right? If not any of these, then you may skip reading this post

Let's say you like that guzzling sound of inline of Fazer/FZ6 or even the 400cc classes & that's what the heart desires & forget about the affordability for the time being. What's the top speed you could hit on the highway? 200? Fine, that would work out perfectly on Autobahn or may be even in freeways of US. But here? Even though we're enjoying breaking the barriers of speed limits & no one watching, is that safe enough? I would say one could touch max speed & keep it for few seconds before that cattle, bullock cart crossing or some moron riding in a wrong way. Considering all these facts, your point on "cruising at 120" comfortably makes perfect statement.

Now its only a question on time. Either you can choose to buy now on what's available on market or keep waiting until you get those heart desired rides (or may be at the price you want). If I were you & had the money, I would say, time's running out, better make use of the opportunity.
Old 18th October 2010, 22:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Now its only a question on time. Either you can choose to buy now on what's available on market or keep waiting until you get those heart desired rides (or may be at the price you want). If I were you & had the money, I would say, time's running out, better make use of the opportunity.
Reminds me of how I bought my ZMA. I wanted to upgrade to ZMA for a while (I was driving Fiero (that I got as soon as it was launched)) - And, I was cribbing to my friend that I want to buy a ZMA sometime in the future. He told me to stop cribbing, and what was stopping me from buying it NOW.

I went to HH showroom after lunch and fully paid for a ZMA and took delivery the day after :-) - It was good 'ol days of pre cost cutting ZMA and it was a BEAUTY! I can remember how much fun it was to drive around city and highway. The memories of taking it out after it started raining, late in the night... priceless (Bangalore was so much less crowded then (back in 2004)) [Even my R15 is not that much fun (compared to ZMA) i.e. Fiero to ZMA fun is much lesser than ZMA -> R15]

aargee, if I buy a Ninja when I return to Bangalore on Wednesday, I know whom to blame [I was saving for a M796]

RX135 Dude, as aargee says, just pick it up if you can, and have fun

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 18th October 2010 at 23:03.
Old 19th October 2010, 08:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
He told me to stop cribbing, and what was stopping me from buying it NOW.
Precisely; if one can afford, love the ride & does not buy, then everytime when the ride is spotted on the road, the heart keeps craving. The worst thing is that, you know inside that you can afford for it, but you're waiting for something else. This reminds me of a story that's told in a different context, but more apporpriate here.

A zen disciple asked his monk as what's the difference between love & marriage. The monk smiled, asked him to get to woods & bring the tallest tree on 2 conditions...
1. He can only go forward & cannot return back
2. He has time only till evening to bring back the tree
First day, this guy came empty handed; so the monk asked him to repeat the same the next day; surprisingly the disciple came back even before noon on the second day with a tree. So the monk asked him to explain why he came without a tree on first day & how he came up with a tree so soon on the second day.

The disciple stated that on first day, he kept searching all over for a bigger tree & each time he spotted one, he thought there must be something bigger & kept searching & only to find out that he returned empty handed. The second day, he didn't want to return empty handed, so he chopped down the first tree that he saw; he wasn't sure if that was the tallest tree, but he BELIEVED that it was the tallest in the lot. Instead of returning empty handed, he brought something that he BELIEVED that's tallest.

Quote:
It was good 'ol days of pre cost cutting ZMA
Couldn't understand this part

Quote:
The memories of taking it out after it started raining, late in the night... priceless
Very true!!! I can understand that

Quote:
aargee, if I buy a Ninja when I return to Bangalore on Wednesday, I know whom to blame [I was saving for a M796]
buddy not me!!! I'm only a mere contributor to the forum; I don't influence anyone.

On a serious tone, think about this Duc's are considered very expensive motorcycles & nut castle costs as much as few hundreds. When its considered very expensive even in countries such as US, forget owning it in India unless you're one of who's who, atleast in your district. Besides, does BLR have a Duc service centre? But I agree, the pleasure of riding a Duc is...priceless.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Couldn't understand this part
I believe some of the components went through some cost-cutting excercise when HH reduced ZMA's price. I think bought my stuff before the cost-cutting happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
On a serious tone, think about this Duc's are considered very expensive motorcycles & nut castle costs as much as few hundreds. When its considered very expensive even in countries such as US, forget owning it in India unless you're one of who's who, atleast in your district. Besides, does BLR have a Duc service centre? But I agree, the pleasure of riding a Duc is...priceless.
I am not who's who anywhere (people tend to forget me even when I am in house) - I am pretty worried about Duc too. BLR doesn't have a service center. I asked the Bombay sales how they'd get the service done, and they answered they'd send a guy to Bangalore. [I forgot to ask on who's cost]

I am thinking of blowing up my savings on a Ninja for now and start saving again on Duc or try to become one of the who's who
Old 19th October 2010, 17:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe...I think bought my stuff before the cost-cutting happened.
Could be

Quote:
I asked the Bombay sales how they'd get the service done, and they answered they'd send a guy to Bangalore. [I forgot to ask on who's cost]
Must be the company arranges the commutation for sure, but the bill would be sent to the owner

Quote:
I am thinking of blowing up my savings on a Ninja for now and start saving again on Duc or try to become one of the who's who

But remember, buying is one time affair, but maintenance is for lifetime. Never buy something that is unaffordable to maintain.

@RX135 - Sorry if we've hijacked your thread

Last edited by aargee : 19th October 2010 at 17:27.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Dude, I suggest that you go for the 250R. Or wait. Everything else is a compromise.
I am wondering what to do with my 135 as well.
Oh right, so you can take the plunge based on my experience. Very smart!

@aargee, budget is not an issue for Ninja, but the strong perception of not being VFM is, especially when I compare it with R15 (almost 3X cost?).

I have long back given up hopes on Yamaha, but with all bike manufacturers taking keener interest in 250+ segment now, I have a feeling that we'll see some of them making debut in 2011.

I am not in pressing urgency, since this is not going to be my primary /secondary commute, so I have couple of months in hand. Would love to explore imported bikes meanwhile. Does anyone have any good pointers to start with?

Why is no one talking of Mahindra Mojo? 26ps/300cc is not bad, though it looks horrible to me. They claim FI and several new technology features, though I don't have full list.

And if all fails, I may still go ahead with 250R

Any by all means, go ahead with discussions on all power bikes available in India. Nothing is off topic in this thread

Last edited by RX135 : 19th October 2010 at 17:48.
Old 19th October 2010, 18:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@aargee, budget is not an issue for Ninja, but the strong perception of not being VFM is, especially when I compare it with R15 (almost 3X cost?).
Well, comparing R15 to Ninja may not be right; however let me force to think it in your way & look things. Let me agree with saying that Ninja costs 3 times the price of R15 & look at few other things with Ninja
- The support/service you get for Ninja is truly an international experience; but with R15, yours is yet another 150CC for them
- 250R is an international spec; this means, the one you see here is same that you see in Europe or USA. How about R15?
- R15 screams at 130 while 250R screams at 160 right?
- However, if your aim is to cruise around 120, then R15 can satisfy too. But if you're looking for one more factor - road side attraction, then 250R is the one you need to settle, atleast for now.

Last night, I was thinking one more fact too & let me try to frame it in best of words. What would be the 0-100 for Kwacker 650? May be 5 seconds? But for 250R its about 7 seconds. So to gain 2 seconds one should shell around 5-6 Lakhs compared to 3L on 250R. How does that sound to you?

Quote:
I have long back given up hopes on Yamaha, but with all bike manufacturers taking keener interest in 250+ segment now, I have a feeling that we'll see some of them making debut in 2011.
Are you trying to say that when B.A.L/TVS/YMIS starts ventures into 250cc segment, they would offer at much cheaper price than Ninja? Is that a concern you're looking at?

Quote:
I am not in pressing urgency, since this is not going to be my primary /secondary commute, so I have couple of months in hand. Would love to explore imported bikes meanwhile. Does anyone have any good pointers to start with?
Again TBhp - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/everyt...ike-india.html

Quote:
Why is no one talking of Mahindra Mojo? 26ps/300cc is not bad, though it looks horrible to me.
You've the answered yourself; also the service provider Garware motors are yet to establish themselves & are new to this segment.

Quote:
And if all fails, I may still go ahead with 250R
For now, but if you're waiting, you'll have better models. The story of zen disciple is perfect example in this case.

Quote:
Any by all means, go ahead with discussions on all power bikes available in India. Nothing is off topic in this thread
Thanks for your understand @RX135

Most Viewed