Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2005, 18:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop - Suzuki to HEAT up the commuter segment !!

Hi guys,

Just back from Delhi ! have a scoop for you fellas.

Come January - Suzuki Motorcycles India will launch their 1st independent offering - The new SUZUKI HEAT - a 125 cc commuter bike in this already crowded segment !

Whats new u may ask ? It looks very similar to the TVS commuter with a round headlamp , no tacho ......YAAAWWWWN right ? WRONG - if u consider the price they aim to launch it - around 34000 Indian Rupees ex showroom. Yes you read that right !

Come March they come up with a jazzed up version with a fairing like the Bajaj Wind ( remember ) - and a tacho and gear indicators in a semi circle on the instrument pod. the turn lamp designs are slighty different while the engine remains the same ...YAWN again ..till the price it is slated to come in - 37000 Indian Rupees ex showroom.

The sad part is i dint get a chance to Test Ride. The fit and finish was very good.

So Suzuki is trying to make the 125 cc the base engine in the commuter segment at the price of 100 cc bikes available now !

The competition - Bajaj Discover is priced about 44000 and the Super Splendor at 46000 ( correct me on the prices if Im off track ).

So do we have a potential shake up in the 125 cc segment and a new market leader ?

Whats your feeling ?
Old 7th December 2005, 18:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

10000 - 12000 is a 30% price difference. And thats a lot.

Nice.

GTO
Old 7th December 2005, 18:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whats your feeling ?
ho-hum

Sorry bro, I know this is the bread and butter of biking in India, but its hard to get excited about these bikes. They have zero sensual appeal and people basically buy them because there is nothing else for the price, not because they aspire for one.
Old 7th December 2005, 18:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
ho-hum

Sorry bro, I know this is the bread and butter of biking in India, but its hard to get excited about these bikes. They have zero sensual appeal and people basically buy them because there is nothing else for the price, not because they aspire for one.
yeah Rt ,

I know but as you say still there are many buyers who want bikes with sensual appela and power but do not buy them - the commuter segment is huge in India. and the manufacturers as you know are here to make money not sell us the bikes of our dreams , atleast not yet.
Old 7th December 2005, 19:06   #5
BHPian

34k is real value for money bike for a 125cc. We can expect an another round of price cuts in the 125cc segment next year by other manufacturers
Old 7th December 2005, 19:36   #6
Joz
BHPian

Too early to comment.

The fact that Suzuki is back on their own is exciting, but the bike in itself is not very exciting.

Except for the engine CC, looks like it offers nothing more than what the current 100 CC bikes offer. Would it still become a new leader of the 125 CC segment? Maybe. But not at the cost of the Discover and the Super Splendor I feel, but at the cost of the current 100 CC bikes. But again, with it being 125 CC, mileage could be lower than the current entry level bikes and this could lead to they loosing out again. Just my thought.

According to TVS website, Victor GLX costs 38,400 in New Delhi. So when the jazzed up version is launched at 37,000 it might wouldn't really be a big difference.

OT: Funny this thread comes up today. I was at the Suzuki factory just about 3 hrs back on some work.
Old 7th December 2005, 19:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

34K !!!!!! Wow man, you could'nt buy a bike like that 10 years ago for 34K. They are really shaking things up in the market for sure. We need competetion like this in the car industry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks