Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.

Actors : Me & my wife. Here forth referred to as We.
Scene 1
Date:05th Oct 2010 Time: 2.45pm Venue : Honda showroom, Alleppey

We entered the show room. No one came to help. Found out the reception and went to the receptionist.(here forth referred as she).
She : yes..
We : We are looking for a gearless scooter, preferably an activa. Payment will be in cash.
She : Sorry, we don’t have any ready.
We : That’s fine, we will wait. What will be the booking amount?
She : At present, we are not accepting any booking & booking won’t start till December. Waiting period will be 6 to 8 months.
We : Oh I see. Do you have Aviator .
She : again, that too has to be booked and if you are lucky enough, you will get it in 4 months and the booking amount will be 1000rs.
We: Shall we have a look at the test drive vehicle and go for a TD?
She : Sorry sir, we don’t have a TD vehicle.
We : Ok we will just look around.
Finally, we went around, saw some new aviators and activas waiting for their owners and was shocked to hear that this lot was for those people who booked their vehicle in April 2010. We got a bit disappointed and walked past the Honda showroom, thinking of what to do next. ( I was the most disappointed as I was using Honda Unicorn for the past 5 years , and became a huge fan of it).
Mean time we had shortlisted the options to Activa, HH pleasure, Suzuki Access & TVS Scooty Pep. But discarded the idea of Pleasure and Access, the reason being poor ride comfort in pleasure and poor service for access in our town. The option left was Scooty pep. I was bit reluctant with scooty due to its size.

Scene 2
Date: 5th Oct 2010 Time 3.45pm, Venue : ARV autoland(Dealer of TVS).

As we entered the show room, there were few bikes and gearless scooters. But one coffee brown scooter caught our attention. I have never seen it before.
Receptionist (She) came forward.
She : Good afternoon Sir, how may I help you.
We: ....
She : Sir,
We : Oh yes, Good afternoon. We are looking for a Scooty pep or pep plus.
She : please be seated Sir. We have a new and better product named Wego. It comes at par with activa.(and she started explaining the features). Shall I give you a test drive?
We : Oh yes. (My wife was awaiting this moment).

Test drive :
I have used the new generation activa of my uncle, so has an upperhand in comparing both the scooters. She rod it first and was quite happy with it. Reasons - Low weight compared to active, Better control. Next the chance was for me. (Still thinking activa is the best)
Starting : Electric start, less engine noise (lesser than activa).
Acceleration : Quite good. At par with activa.
Suspension : Superb . Intentionally I rod it through pot holes to have a feel at it. (better than active)
Braking : At par with activa. Im satisfied.
Top speed attained : around 65 km/hr (couldn’t push it more owing to traffic).
Overall riding comfort : Satisfied. Better than activa I believe.
She : How is the vehicle sir?
We : Is the booking open?
She : Yes sir cappuccino brown is in the yard. I can give it to you next day. But have a look at white, sir. White will be available from tomorrow.
Wife : No need of white. We will book brown only.
I : Lets give white a try.
The receptionist promised to give a call tomorrow once the white wego comes. We booked the brown one and came back home. As promised she gave me a call the next day and saw the white wego. It was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT for both of us. No questions asked. We paid the full amount for a white wego and the waiting started. It was scheduled to be delivered on 8th of October after the registration and insurance formalities.
As promised, we took delivery of the white wego on 8th October.On road price came to Rs 52,600/-.
Invoice value : Rs 44,684.
Road tax : Rs 2,730.
Insurance : Rs 1,083.
Mandatory fittings : Rs 1,000. (Front number plate, Mat, Side stand, Buzzer)
Registration & Delivery charges : Rs 1,003.
Fittings : Rs 2,100. (Front & back guard, seat cover, handle grip, ladies handle, Teflon coating)

A small comparison with Honda activa. (Sorry, couldn't tabulate)
wego/ activa
Engine
Type: 4stroke, single cylinder aircooled, OHC / 4stroke, single cylinder air cooled, OHC
Displacement: 109.7 CC / 109 CC
Max. power : 8PS@7500rpm / 8bhp@7500rpm
Max. Torque : 8NM@5500rpm / 0.9kgm@5500rpm
Transmission : V-matic / V- matic
Ignition : Self/kick / self/kick

Electricals
Battery : 12V,4Ah maintenance free / 12V, 5Ah maintenance free
Head lamp : 12V 35W/35W Halogen / 35W/35W Halogen
Tail lamp : 12V LED lamp with optical guide / ?

Chassis
Frame : High rigidity under bone type / High rigidity under bone type
Dimensions : 1834x640x1115 mm(l x b x h) / 1761x710x1147 mm
Wheel base : 1275 mm / 1238 mm
Ground clearance : 145mm / 145 mm

Suspension
Front : In-line Telescopic suspension / bottom link with spring loaded hydraulic dampers.
Rear : Unit swing with spring loaded hydraulic dampers / Unit swing with spring loaded hydraulic dampers

Tyre size
Front : 90/90-12 / 90/100-10 53J
Rear : 90/90-12 / 90/100-10 53J

Brakes
Front : Drum, 130 mm dia / Drum, 130 mm dia
Rear : Drum, 130 mm dia / Drum, 130 mm dia

Fuel Tank
Capacity : 5 litres / 5.3 litres

Thanks to Honda 2 wheeler site.
The decision to buy wego was also supported by the test drive videos posted by Od mag and various others.

Into a week and 200 kms of owner ship:
Well, its been 1 week of pure driving pleasure. I'm using honda unicorn and royal enfield bullet for many years. Wego cannot be compared to them, but I'm falling in love with wego for its easy riding and handling through traffic. There is no tension involved in riding.
Pick up : at par with activa. Seems good. Im happy.
Engine refinement : Here activa scores better.
Comfort : Suspension and ride quality is just great. Seat is quite good. ample space. wife says back seat comfort is better than Unicorn or activa.
Fuel lid and under seat storage : Fuel lid is placed at the rear and no need of rising the seat for fueling. My helmet fits nicely into the under seat storage. Quite good,
FE : around 50 km/l at present.
Max speed attained : 60km/h (didn't push far)
Head light : average, low beam is just ok.
Overall rating : 8/10

What I didn't like :
Build quality : Panel gaps present. Finishing is not up to my expectation. rating 7/10.
Pictures will be uploaded soon.

Last edited by drdeepudev : 19th October 2010 at 17:38.
drdeepudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 17:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Think you got the tyre spec wrong or so?
I have seen the white one; it looks great. Congrats on the buy.

I think the suspension setup makes it a better handling scooter.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good to see your review on Wego; its a sad truth that Honda has a huge demand with Activa due to which the bookings are closed (I heard this few weeks ago, not sure now) or delivering the vehicle very delayed.

Congratulations on your new Wego. Looking forward to read more on your ownership experience for the years to come.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Think you got the tyre spec wrong or so?
I have seen the white one; it looks great. Congrats on the buy.

I think the suspension setup makes it a better handling scooter.
Thanks jk. Wego has 12 inch alloys. Specs are 90/90 - 12.
Old 19th October 2010, 18:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice review - like a movie script..
yes, the Wego is in good demand everywhere.
Congratulations!!
Old 19th October 2010, 19:04   #6
BHPian

Here are the pics.

With my honda unicorn.Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00834-large.jpg
Standing alone.Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00837-large.jpg
With her big brothers.Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00853-large.jpg
Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00858-large.jpg Her under seat storage.
My helmet feels safe here.Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00860-large.jpg
Simply posing.Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00862-large.jpg
Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00864-large.jpg
Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00865-large.jpg
Front viewName:  DSC00869 Large.JPG
Views: 98484
Size:  72.7 KB
12 inch alloysHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00870-large.jpg
Her side blinkersHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00872-large.jpg
Under seat storage/fuel lid openerHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00873-large.jpg
Fuel lidHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00877-large.jpg
Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00878-large.jpg
Switch consoleHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00879-large.jpg
Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00880-large.jpg
Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00881-large.jpg
Fuel and speedoHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00882-large.jpg
KickerHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00885-large.jpg
Carry bag hookHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00887-large.jpg
Glove box(useful only to keep documents)Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00889-large.jpg
Side and rearHonda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00893-large.jpg
Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00896-large.jpg
Back seat is spacious. My 110kg brother and me can sit nicely.Honda Activa vs TVS Wego. We went with the Wego.-dsc00903-large.jpg
drdeepudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 20:32   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride! We have the new gen Activa in the family and I was bit surprised when I read your title, but when I seen the pics of Wego, I now think you did the right thing by not waiting for 8 months.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Looks good I like the design and placement of various things.

How many Activas does Honda sell monthly. That is a huge waiting list they have.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Good to see your review on Wego; its a sad truth that Honda has a huge demand with Activa due to which the bookings are closed (I heard this few weeks ago, not sure now) or delivering the vehicle very delayed.

Congratulations on your new Wego. Looking forward to read more on your ownership experience for the years to come.
Thank you aargee. The booking of activa is not yet open in my town. Another problem I faced with honda was the unavailability of spares for my unicorn. It may happen for activa in future also (My view). I'm not saying that it will not happen to TVS, but in case of wego, it was love at first sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Nice review - like a movie script..
yes, the Wego is in good demand everywhere.
Congratulations!!
Thanks nairrk. Hope your jive is doing great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
Congrats on your new ride! We have the new gen Activa in the family and I was bit surprised when I read your title, but when I seen the pics of Wego, I now think you did the right thing by not waiting for 8 months.
Hello mTorque.Thank you. I too have a new gen Activa in my family and was using that quite frequently. But, I was bowled over by wego and is quite happy till now. Hence thought of not waiting for 8 months for an activa.
Old 20th October 2010, 06:52   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Wego .

The pictures are really nice and comprehensive. I especially like the colour and the black crash guards. They look so much better than the chrome ones people normally have.

Would you recommend someone for in for the Wego, as a scooter to be kept for 5-6 years?
Old 20th October 2010, 09:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

The petrol tank opening looks very user friendly.

And can you confirm that the rear too is 90/90? I thought it was wider when I saw it.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the picking up the new scooter. I test rode the Wego. I must admit, that i rides better than activa for sure.

I am eyeing the white Wego for my wife.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post

Thanks nairrk. Hope your jive is doing great.
Yes, Jive is doing fine.
as of now am getting close to 50kmpl FE
+
and, your Wego pictures are very nice!!
Old 20th October 2010, 21:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Congratulations on your new Wego .
Would you recommend someone for in for the Wego, as a scooter to be kept for 5-6 years?
Thank you.Too early to say that avi550m, depending on the previous history of TVS (regarding the spares and all). As of now I sure will recommend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the picking up the new scooter. I test rode the Wego. I must admit, that i rides better than activa for sure.

I am eyeing the white Wego for my wife.
White looks great. Seeing other colours, we felt white is a good option.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man ... I didn't know there is 2 wheeler called Wego in the market.

My in laws have Suzuki Access with them for last one year. Whenever i go there i drive it. Its a amazing scooter in that category for sure. I guess the best !!! It is also very fuel efficient. Very stable & smooth ride. Very sturdy i must say. Its unfortunate that service is not available @ your place. I will recommend it to all who want to by a gear less scooter in that range. I guess it also has 2-3 months waiting period :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks