Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 12:26   #16
BHPian

Even theirs seems to be connected to the 2 holes I was refering to.

Attached is the picture where you can see the bolt. The second hole is vacant.

Another way would be to cut out the bolt and insert a new one. That might be quicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-imag0027.jpg  

Old 18th November 2010, 12:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

you can also get new engine plates & weld the control arms to it & add it to the factory engine mount.
Name:  92770.jpg
Views: 11976
Size:  202.9 KB
also post full picture of your bike.

here is a picture of a bobber.
Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-frontf.jpg
Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-rearf.jpg

Last edited by jeepster : 18th November 2010 at 12:56.
Old 18th November 2010, 13:19   #18
BHPian

Nice bobber. Looks neat and clean. Surprising to know how much junk can be taken off from a stock enfield!
I like the Engine Covers used on that one. Looks neat.

And yes (to your earlier post) I did clear my doubt about the swing arm. It is bolted on as I initially suspected.

Even if I get new engine plates, The old one has to come off. That would involve removing around 2 bolts that are covered on the Right side by the Motor/Ignition coil box, or Chopping off the frame. Correct?

Here is a pic of the Mach before any significant mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-imag0007.jpg  

Old 18th November 2010, 14:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocreative View Post
Even if I get new engine plates, The old one has to come off. That would involve removing around 2 bolts that are covered on the Right side by the Motor/Ignition coil box, or Chopping off the frame. Correct?
what i want to say is that you add another set of plats on top of original plats.
& you do all the drilling welding to the added set of plates.
so in case you want to go back to the current setting , you just remove the added plats & you are done.
(as a DIY'er you should keep it reverse compatible if any thing goes wrong)

you can place them lower than the starter assembly.
also i feel that the build is going towards chopper than bobber.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-0007.jpg  

Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-g0007.jpg  

Last edited by jeepster : 18th November 2010 at 14:59.
Old 18th November 2010, 16:27   #20
BHPian

When we are going for body modifications, why not adding oil cooler?
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:42   #21
BHPian

I finally got the bolt I was worried about sawed off only to realize thats not where it should be clamped onto! The forward controls are to be fitted on the top two bolts.

Hey Alok, I have to look into oil-cooler options. Do you recommend any? What is the benefit of doing so? (Sorry for the noob question)
Old 24th November 2010, 12:03   #22
BHPian

Some people are having over heating problem on there REs. Details are available on:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ler-350-a.html

I think it (oil cooler) should defiantly help on a 500cc air cooled engine.
Old 27th November 2010, 14:20   #23
BHPian

Thanks Alok, I will most definitely have to look into it. My Mach does heat up like crazy in city traffic.
I also have to check out if there is any remedy to reduce the overall vibration of the bike. I have driven much powerful bikes in the US and I do not remember them to have this kind of vibration. Could it be that the frame splits up at the front below the handlebar? I read somewhere that it could be because the engine is mounted directly onto the frame without any rubber bushings or something of that sort... any ideas?

Forward Control Mod Update - Well it was a failure for 2 main reasons.
1. The necessary bolts could not be removed. Temporary solution for this was to have a custom made extender clamp to hold it together with the other bolt joints. I got this done by a local metal craftsman.
2. Even after trying out different bolt holes, the shift lever that had to join to the brake axle did not fit well. The lengths were perfect, but since the extension rod was built straight, it would run straight under the exhaust towards the front, and the new Brake pedal could not reach for it even if it was made to touch closely to the exhaust pipe ( which would have been a bad idea anyways).

I think this was because the forward controls were made to fit the older models where the rear brake was on the left side. That way the exhaust would not get in the way. But still I am kind of clueless as to how custom modders have wide forward controls and does not have any sort of long pole running through the bottom towards the rear brake axle.

Question: Anyone know how much of work is involved in removing the entire engine block of the frame? Is it heavy enough to be carried by one person after unbolted off the frame?

I am still loving and enjoying on how much of a learning experience this is! Just wish I had the infrastructure to build and shape metal as I see it in my mind

Last edited by jocreative : 27th November 2010 at 14:32.
Old 27th November 2010, 15:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

there is option of using standard oil feed pipe made of copper.

removing engine block is complicated process.

you can use 350 bend pipe instead of 500 one.

Last edited by jeepster : 27th November 2010 at 15:23.
Old 8th December 2010, 20:05   #25
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed

Update - More parts arrived by mail -

1. 2" Over Springer Front end + Axle Kit
2. Chrome Head Light
3. 4" Chrome Handle Bar Riser
4. 1.25" Drag Handle Bar (tapers to 1" near controls)

I got most of the parts for my front end now to get a temp build done. But I still need the following items to complete the entire build -
1. Chrome Front Brake Calipers + Rotor
2. New Rims Front and Rear
3. New Tires
4. Extended Swing Arm.

I think I am going to keep my Suspension VS getting a HardTail kit done. What do you think? Any Comments?
Old 8th December 2010, 21:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Jo , Kudos !

I am glued to this thread now.
Old 9th December 2010, 01:55   #27
BHPian

Hey Foby, Thanks. Welcome to the thread and feel happy to contribute when you can

Regarding the wheels, I want to have big thick ones for the front and rear. Attached pic shows an idea of what I have in mind. I am thinking somewhere in the range of 15" 150/90 for rear and 15" 130/90 for front. Any pros or cons guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-davidbobberguerrypratimages.com5.jpg  

Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-6a01287575798d970c0133f190dda6970b.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 9th December 2010, 09:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocreative View Post
Regarding the wheels, I want to have big thick ones for the front and rear. Attached pic shows an idea of what I have in mind. I am thinking somewhere in the range of 15" 150/90 for rear and 15" 130/90 for front. Any pros or cons guys?
The rear swingarm is going to be a hurdle if you plan to mount anything bigger than 120 section tyre at the back. For mounting 130 or 150 section tyre you will need a box section flatter swingarm or get the stock swingarm modified by cutting it inserting a rod into it and squashing the side. Both flatter swingarm and the modified swingarm will not make the bike a handler, but since you're not going the handling way it might be okay. The flat box section swingarm was available at Sandhya spares , Bangalore some three years ago, it might be still. The flat swingarm is longer than stock.

You will have clearance issues at the front end too. 130 section might be a squeeze in there, unless you have plans for a wider triple tree and axle arrangement.

The wider tyres in the picture looks good on those bikes partly because of its high profile. But the tyres we get here in those widths doesn't have that kind of sidewalls.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The rear swingarm is going to be a hurdle if you plan to mount anything bigger than 120 section tyre at the back. For mounting 130 or 150 section tyre you will need a box section flatter swingarm or get the stock swingarm modified by cutting it inserting a rod into it and squashing the side. Both flatter swingarm and the modified swingarm will not make the bike a handler, but since you're not going the handling way it might be okay. The flat box section swingarm was available at Sandhya spares , Bangalore some three years ago, it might be still. The flat swingarm is longer than stock.
You will have clearance issues at the front end too. 130 section might be a squeeze in there, unless you have plans for a wider triple tree and axle arrangement.
The wider tyres in the picture looks good on those bikes partly because of its high profile. But the tyres we get here in those widths doesn't have that kind of sidewalls.

Hello Sankar, Thanks for the input.
The bike is going to be a leisure-holiday rider than a day-to-day city ride so I am OK with a few downsides to handling and mileage.
I will be using a Springer Frontend (like pic#2) but in Chrome. It has a wide axle to accommodate a wide wheel so I guess I am good to go there too.
I am also planning to lengthen and widen the stock suspension swing arm to fit the new wheel. Hopefully it should work with the existing setup or else I will have to go with the boxed one like you said.
Tires, I have to look into whats available here or else buy those from outside too. The prices aren't that bad.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:24   #30
BHPian

jocreative, with a 15" 130 section tyre in the front,imho steering the bike is gonna be a real pain! Do give it a second thought before going for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks