Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 00:15   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
@ praJEEP - It is difficult to accomodate a 34mm Carb nearer without fiddling with the Chassis. But I have tried with this length and angle of Intake and it is working without any problems (tried for almost 400Kms). Aluminium Intake will be ready within a week.
Nice to know that it works well, i have a couple of questions to ask you.

1) Is that stock tap able to supply enough fuel at high revs for the 34mm cv carb (i think it is) i am asking this coz the stock fz carb is much smaller than this 34mm, have you checked the flow of ml/litres per min ??

2) Please do shed some light on the weight management ( i mean how have you managed to distrubute the weight equally on both sides) did you modify the mounts ?? strenghthen the chasis ? if you do not wish to share the info then no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

I couldn't understand the reason behind this Pradeep, could you brief a little pls?
I am not so good at it, just have heard from experts that it should be no matter which ever engine it is, so shared the same ..
Old 31st October 2010, 09:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
1) Is that stock tap able to supply enough fuel...of ml/litres per min ??
Very valid point; I guess stock FZ comes with BS26 mm carbs, not sure though. Just a thought, how about retro fitting RE's carbs?

Quote:
did you modify the mounts ?? strenghthen the chasis ? if you do not wish to share the info then no problem.
Me too waiting for the same details.

Quote:
I am not so good at it, just have heard from experts that it should be no matter which ever engine it is, so shared the same ..
Actually this is news to me as I couldn't think this way. I was under the impression that the distance between the carbs & the cylinder should matter the most & not the entire intake. But again, this is my assumption only. Any enlightenment is always appreciated.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:57   #48
BHPian

definitely one appreciable job. reminds me of an FZ with RD 350 engine, IMO this modification is a much more practical solution for the lack of power of an FZ. But if are planning on a ride to LEH, u better increase the ground clearance of your bike before starting. i would also like to ask what all modifications you have done to the electrical system and mainly the ignition and charging system of the bike. were the electricals and carb supplied by the engine manf???
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:12   #49
BHPian

Congrats Mate!

What an initiative you got!!

Here are some questions I have.

How are the engine primary drive and rear wheel sprocket are aligned?
Is there any NVH difference b/w your bike and a stock FZ?
How much did this whole job cost you, inclusive of your labour?
Old 4th November 2010, 10:10   #50
BHPian

@ aargee - I hv used a new bigger carb (32-34 mm) which the manufacturer uses with this engine. The FZ carb is very small compared to the new one.

@ praJEEP - I feel Fuel tap is adequate to handle extra flow even at the top end. Engine being the stressed member of the chassis itself, there was no need to stengthen the mounts as the engine weight is just a little more than the stock engine.

@ baddy - The engine DCCDI and carb was ordered with the engine. Reg-rect is standard 3 phase. All electrical I have handled myself as I have some experience in auto electricals.

@ rangarx - Aligning the front and rear sprocket was the first step in starting with the upgrade. position of the sprocket decided the engine mounting position. using bigger chain and sprockets gave me the flexibility to play a little with engine mounting position. I did all mounting calculation drawings on my laptop, freezed the engine position and then designed the mountings and got them fabricated.Am attaching a few drawings for you to see how it sarted.

The engine performs well and the sound and NVH is somewhere between FZ and bullet.
The entire project costed me almost 1.35L and this includes a new brand 100KM driven FZ engine lying idle with me. I cannot calculate my labour as I did everything at home with no one else touching my bike. I got the parts fabricayted from outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-holes-mountings.jpg  

Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-holes-mountings-2.jpg  

Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-holes-mountings-6.jpg  

Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-102_8108.jpg  

Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-102_8110.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th November 2010, 13:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Are you keeping the stock Engine or selling it ? .What is the sproket specs now ,front ,back and links .Which make ?
I did not understand the drawings in the above post .

Last edited by black12rr : 4th November 2010 at 13:20.
Old 5th November 2010, 15:11   #52
BHPian

@ black12rr - I hv not yet decided about the stock engine. I may sell it if I get an appreciating buyer. Otherwise I will make a ATV or a offroader using it.

I am using a 39T rear sprocket and chain from Bajaj Avenger. Front sprocket is 14T. Sprockets are not direct fit and need to be worked on to fit them.

Drawings basically are engine and chassis mounting points to ascertain the mounting position and dimensions.
Old 14th December 2010, 16:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
@ black12rr - I hv not yet decided about the stock engine. I may sell it if I get an appreciating buyer. Otherwise I will make a ATV or a offroader using it.

I am using a 39T rear sprocket and chain from Bajaj Avenger. Front sprocket is 14T. Sprockets are not direct fit and need to be worked on to fit them.

Drawings basically are engine and chassis mounting points to ascertain the mounting position and dimensions.
Whats the progress. would love to see the bike in skin yaar.
Old 25th February 2011, 03:59   #54
BHPian

awesome job. How much did it cost you only engine and parts that you imported.?
could you please put on some more light on the manufacturer website and procedure to import..??

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th February 2011 at 02:35. Reason: only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully before proceeding. Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 21:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapitude View Post
awesome job. How much did it cost you only engine and parts that you imported.?
could you please put on some more light on the manufacturer website and procedure to import..??
Engine costed me 52-54K. The engine model is DB170MM from Dongben China. Similar engine is also available with Yingang known as YG170MM. I imported the engine with most parts like DCCDI, RR, CV Carb 32-34mm, Radiators and wiring Harness. To import anything you need to have a IEC code. You can import the same in some import companies name who already has an IEC code. Feel free to know the intricaies in case you plan to import. I can PM the same to you.

Regards
Old 20th March 2011, 03:29   #56
BHPian

what was the total up to the doorstep import cost for engine, electricals, dccdi, carb, radiator wiring harness etc.. everything..??
Old 20th March 2011, 13:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapitude View Post
what was the total up to the doorstep import cost for engine, electricals, dccdi, carb, radiator wiring harness etc.. everything..??
52-54K All inclusive
Old 20th March 2011, 16:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

Lavs how is it holding together?How many kms has the new engine run and how is the reliability as of now.How would you go about the spare parts etc?
Old 21st March 2011, 10:19   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Lavs how is it holding together?How many kms has the new engine run and how is the reliability as of now.How would you go about the spare parts etc?
It is doing fine. The engine has done around 2000KMs. As I am the only one who touches the bike, I expect that this should not ask for spares. I am planning to import one set of clutch plates and keep with me for emergency. Rest will manage as and when required.

Of late I do not get much time for the bike. But I have almost tuned the carb now.
Old 8th May 2011, 19:22   #60
BHPian

Hows the performance after the swap? What about stability?

At 25 ps you are touching CBR territory and even beat Yamaha to a proper 250 CC bike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks