Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 15:40   #1
BHPian

Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap

Another Mod FZ you might be interested:

Specs - 250cc, 4 Valve, DOHC, Water Cooled, 6 Gear, 25ps, 21.5Nm.

All done with my own hands. All systems, switches, indicators, interlocks functional in the bike.

Presently working on 6 Gear indicator display, Engine temperature and battery voltage display.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-dscf5107.jpg  

Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-dscf5108.jpg  

Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-dscf5098.jpg  

Lavs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2010, 16:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

@Lavs - Yes its sure interesting & my respects to you for building with your own hands

You didn't rebore the cylinder to 250CC which I'm sure; how did you manage the 250cc & 4 valve engine? And it doesn't look like Ninja either. And how did you measure the hp? Appreciate to shed some details. Tks.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:11   #3
BHPian

Imported a brand new engine from abroad. Bought a new FZ16. Took out the stock engine and replaced. Took me six months to do it. Still a lot has to be done. Power specs are directly from the manufacturer.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
Imported a brand new engine from abroad.
Whatever it is, still its one hell of engineering to be done & I can vouch it wouldn't be a direct fit. Good work there mate.

Stock engine of which one? Fazer 250? And I hope the tech specs are at the crankshaft & not at wheels right?

PS - I somehow feel you're not willing to disclose much of info or is it just my feeling?
Old 20th October 2010, 17:44   #5
BHPian

@aargee - Replaced stock 150cc FZ16 engine with the new engine imported from China. Yes it was not at all a direct fit, infact the new engine has asymmetrical mountings protruding more on one side. Everthing had to be worked upon to fit the thing aligned with changed big rear sprocket and bigger chain. And foremost I wanted to make the thing reliable and capable of offroading for going to LEH. Took me full six months to bring to this shape. I can write pages and pages on this experience.
But I can support anyone on mechanical and electrical upgrades if someone is stuck. And ask what u want to know and I will tell you everything.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:09   #6
BHPian

first of all i would like to congratulate you on the mods.
i have a few doubts though.
1. Chinese are known to deliver low quality products. AFAIK, apart from a few manufacturers like LIFAN,Jiangsu Lingyu, most of the chinese bikes are unreliable due to bad quality engine and parts. i hope your engine proves to be reliable but it wont be as sturdy as the yamaha FZ16 stock engine for sure. so although you have a bigger engine now, i doubt that it can score anywhere near to the reliability of the yamaha.
2. is it legal to use an engine which has a different engine number than the one endorsed in your RC book/smart card. anyways it will grab the attention of the cops due to the radiator and bigger block for sure. is there a legal way to endorse the new engine number in your registration?
3. how is the stability and handling of your bike after the modifications. i am sure there will be some issues due to the heavy motor.
I hope you don't mind answering my queries.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@aargee - Replaced stock 150cc FZ16 engine with the new engine imported from China.
If possible, pls share the details, if not, no issues.
Instead, if you can, pls shed some details as how you zeroed in on this engine or what kind of research needs to be done?

Quote:
Yes it was not at all a direct fit, infact the new engine has asymmetrical mountings protruding more on one side.
Yes, I expected this reply; so how did you manage mounting the engine? The engine would've had different mounting points & the FZ's frame would've had different mount points. So how did you match them?

Quote:
And ask what u want to know and I will tell you everything.
Thanks mate; What type of sprocks did you settle for? Did the engine come with the front sprocks or did you custom make that one too? Or did the manufacturer help you decide the sprocks or you found out from a similar motorcycle as how many T's should the sprocks contain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsarmaniac View Post
2. is it legal to use an engine which has a different engine number than the one endorsed in your RC book/smart card.
I hope that part was skipped, if I'm not wrong.

Quote:
anyways it will grab the attention of the cops due to the radiator and bigger block for sure.
Well, most cops might notice the difference, but wouldn't make out or can't imagine this type of mods probably. But when caught, has to slip without RTO's notice.

Quote:
is there a legal way to endorse the new engine number in your registration?
Well, IMO, there's no legal way I guess

Quote:
3. how is the stability and handling of your bike after the modifications. i am sure there will be some issues due to the heavy motor.
Yeah, me too have the same questions; would eagerly be expecting to hear from @Lavs
Old 21st October 2010, 11:42   #8
BHPian

@argee and pulsarmaniac - The engine carries the same serial No. as the stock engine. It is possible when you buy a brand new engine from a manufacturer.

Engine Mountings: I am a simple guy, so I simplified the things and it was possible to do it. Will post pics of mountings, give me some time for it.

Sprocket: I used sprocket and chain set of Bajaj Avenger. That is 39T rear with six mounting holes. Had to modify the mounting holes. I wanted to go 44-45T rear but is not available. But using 39T gives me excellent cruising speeds and for immediate power I just need to shift down a gear. Front is 14T.

The engine weights only 34.5 Kgs, accessories extra. The weight has not increased much. I compensate as my weight is less than 70 Kgs.

Being a new engine I am not going very fast. But driving at 110kmph in sixth gear was trouble free with no stability or handling issues. But I do plan to stiffen the front suspension a little. A few hundred kms more and then I shall inform you guys of the top end.

You can try Lifan, Yingyang, Dongben etc. But most engine manufacturers are interested in bulk orders. Manipulation required.

This engine is a improved copy of Honda MD21E used on AX-1 and NX250.
Lavs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2010, 13:37   #9
BHPian

@Llavs: a great feat there!

I think this deserves the thread of its own. and the way that you have posted it as if some cosmetic mod to the bike make people doubt was this really done .

bike looks neat! as good as right out of factory. please lets have a separate thread along with proper details and work-flow.
congratulations!!
Old 21st October 2010, 14:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@argee and pulsarmaniac - The engine carries the same serial No. as the stock engine. It is possible when you buy a brand new engine from a manufacturer.
You mean the number on the crank case is it?

Quote:
Engine Mountings: I am a simple guy, so I simplified the things and it was possible to do it. Will post pics of mountings, give me some time for it.
Yes pls; 'cause I couldn't understand your reply or may be I wasn't clear in asking about the engine mounts on the frame.

Quote:
Sprocket: I used sprocket and chain set of Bajaj Avenger. That is 39T rear with six mounting holes. Had to modify the mounting holes. I wanted to go 44-45T rear but is not available. But using 39T gives me excellent cruising speeds and for immediate power I just need to shift down a gear. Front is 14T.
But my basic question still remains as what made you to settle on 14-39? You'd loose a considerable amount of top speed isn't it?

Quote:
A few hundred kms more and then I shall inform you guys of the top end.
Thanks

Quote:
You can try Lifan, Yingyang, Dongben etc. But most engine manufacturers are interested in bulk orders. Manipulation required.
Thanks for the info; but manipulation like what?

Quote:
This engine is a improved copy of Honda MD21E used on AX-1 and NX250.
Thanks again.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
@Llavs: a great feat there!

I think this deserves the thread of its own. and the way that you have posted it as if some cosmetic mod to the bike make people doubt was this really done .

bike looks neat! as good as right out of factory. please lets have a separate thread along with proper details and work-flow.
congratulations!!
+1 to that. even i think it deserves a seperated thread. he can discuss the modifications in details and it can be useful to many members here in the future.
@Lavs:Thanks again for answering to my questions. Great job there brother!
Old 21st October 2010, 15:46   #12
BHPian

Sorry but I do not know how to start a new thread - If the moderator can advise, I do not have any problems...

@ aargee - Number stamped neatly with a star before and after the number. And the bike itself is limited edition, so can be different.............
14-39 - I will gain on top speed and lose on torque. I want to change the ratios to limit top end at 135-140 and increase the torque. This was the only set readily available.
Manipulation to generate interest in the manufacturer to sell to you.

Give me another two months and and only enthusiasts will be able to differentiate it from a stock FZ. I dont want people fingering the bike when I park it somewhere, so should'nt look different.
Old 21st October 2010, 19:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Lavs-Click on to the drop down menu on the left at the bottom of this thread. Select Motorbikes and you will get to the motorbike section of the forum. Top left you will see New Topic under the header and press that to create a new post as you like.
Old 21st October 2010, 23:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Is it praaji with Gen-1 Accord having sooper alloy wheels?
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:19   #15
BHPian

Fantastic stuff Lavs. Hats off to your ingenuity.I am pretty sure that the stock mechanicals of the FZ can handle the extra power.
How about a Disc at the rear?
I also notice that the Exhaust is different, did you design your own exhaust for the engine ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks