Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 00:04   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Our thought of getting a ''mileage wala'' bike has crept so deep in the Indian consumer that i still recall people asking about mileage of RE classis or Ninja before buying them!! Good mileage is always welcome but its high time for the Indian consumer to know that power & style comes at a sacrifice.I sincerely wish that the definition of biking should change 360 degree.
Really? Didn't know this happened with the Ninja at showrooms, wow, I agree on the change part, well I agree with the part of people understanding that with more power and performance you will get lesser milage, you just cant have your cake and eat it too

Quote:
Another thing is if Honda comes at a 1.5L price tag, the sight of the bike would become more common hence gradually making it a part and parcel of the bikes seen usually on road, these are contradictory thoughts, one side I wish its price should be 1.5L on the other hand i just dont want it to end up like pulsars and Yamahas seen on the road.
Agree that it would become common, but as I already own a Pulsar, I wouldn't mind getting this, I got the P220 for just one reason, Performance.
To make it stand out, we have our mods
Old 5th November 2010, 01:32   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Wouldn't that be quite unfair match? R15 vs CBR150R can be an interesting contest, but why R15 vs CBR250R? CBR has advantage of 100cc and around 9 PS over R15.
RX - I would think so. But BP suggests (qouted below) that this might not be a track friendly bike as the R15, which is why I made that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
The CBR was launched at the Bira circuit at Thailand and the R15 would literally beat the CBR as far as track is concerned( i can vouch for that cause i was there for the launch and the track session).
All I am saying is lets not get into CBR Vs R15 discussion until the bike is launched and such a comparative test can be conducted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I am truly tired of people going on and on about R15 ka patla tyre and FZ16 ka mota tyre!

Are these track figures for R15 v/s CBR 150 or the 250? The 250 should be faster, seems so on paper.
Either way - let a True blood CBR come to the market first for us to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
IMHO, in real life situation, people who would opt for Ninja over CBR will be of 2 category:
  • Looking for best in class acceleration, refinement of 2 cylinders, and more importantly, willing to pay 100% premium for all these.
  • Wannabes, who can afford Ninja over CBR250R and want to show off, thanks to its exclusivity.
Completely agree and I completely respect the category 1 guys who know why they bought the Ninja.

But both the Ninja Category guys better respect the folks who would buy the CBR250R cause they have their reasons.

Somehow I sense Yamaha slotting a bike in this 250cc category very very soon.

Last edited by IronWolf : 5th November 2010 at 01:36.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:22   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Our thought of getting a ''mileage wala'' bike has crept so deep in the Indian consumer that i still recall people asking about mileage of RE classis or Ninja before buying them!!
That is because, here bike is a mere mode of commutation. Hence, it has to be cheap to own and operate, cheaper the better.

Quote:
Good mileage is always welcome but its high time for the Indian consumer to know that power & style comes at a sacrifice.I sincerely wish that the definition of biking should change 360 degree.

Things are changing slowly but surely.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but somehow my mind is telling me that its price tag sure would not be around 1.5L according to my experience of pricing in India but I am sure going to buy if it stays on its word.

Our thought of getting a ''mileage wala'' bike has crept so deep in the Indian consumer that i still recall people asking about mileage of RE classis or Ninja before buying them!! Good mileage is always welcome but its high time for the Indian consumer to know that power & style comes at a sacrifice.I sincerely wish that the definition of biking should change 360 degree.
I agree with how you feel. I really wish it comes in at this price point, but I feel it is just too good to be true! :(

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong in considering the mileage when buying a bike. Especially for people who are looking for touring bikes, it makes sense knowing what kind of range can be covered on the bike. It does become a problem when mileage becomes the sole deciding factor in a purchase. Lets hope things change for the better.

Cheers

PS: You must have meant 180 degrees, 360 would make you go in the same direction
Old 5th November 2010, 13:13   #95
BHPian

I would say that a good example of changing mindsets (however slowly it may be) is increasing demand for Royal Enfield bikes leading to a 6 to 8 month waitlist.
Old 5th November 2010, 16:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

@Altius

Very OT, but the waiting period for the RE Classics is mainly because of failing production capacity than demand. (I do however, agree that REs are back in vogue)
Old 5th November 2010, 17:42   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
PS: You must have meant 180 degrees, 360 would make you go in the same direction
OT: Just to nitpick, that's true for 360 degrees in 2-D world only. In a world with more D (Even in 3D), you can have different directions in 360 degrees
Old 5th November 2010, 18:00   #98
BHPian

I really don't understand what's the problem in asking the mileage of a bike you are considering to buy.

It is important for me to know before buying a bike how much it is going to cost to own and maintain. That's coz I earn only so much amount a month and there is only so much that I can and am ready to spend on the bike.

Before you guys jump on my old school mindset, I am really considering to buy this bike. But only if it meets my budget regarding total cost of ownership.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:46   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
I really don't understand what's the problem in asking the mileage of a bike you are considering to buy.

It is important for me to know before buying a bike how much it is going to cost to own and maintain. That's coz I earn only so much amount a month and there is only so much that I can and am ready to spend on the bike.

Before you guys jump on my old school mindset, I am really considering to buy this bike. But only if it meets my budget regarding total cost of ownership.
Precisely my point. Its no shame in asking the mileage of the bike or for that matter any vehicle. Mileage is really an important factor in vehicle ownership so much so that even the super rich buy diesels car luxo barges over their petrol counterparts.

This is finally the bike I have in mind to replace my faithful classic 180 Pulsar.
Lets hope Honda prices it at the prices announced.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 8th November 2010 at 12:48.
Old 8th November 2010, 17:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Somehow I sense Yamaha slotting a bike in this 250cc category very very soon.
+1 to that. In fact, IIRC, the first time I had heard of the Japanese manufacturers crossing the 200cc threshold in India was with regards to the launch of a 250cc Fazer. That was about 2-3 years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
Absolutely none, if you know what you want to buy, and, compare apples with apples. I think the crib with the mileage question is simply that most people do not appreciate that a bike will take you either very fast or very far on that tank of gas. Not both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Lets hope Honda prices it at the prices announced.
Somehow, I think you will be disappointed.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:48   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Somehow, I think you will be disappointed.
I really hope not. But then I have reasons to be optimistic as the prices have been announced by Honda and its not a speculation.

I can live with a variation of 10%

Cheers
Old 9th November 2010, 12:01   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I really hope not. But then I have reasons to be optimistic as the prices have been announced by Honda and its not a speculation.

I can live with a variation of 10%

Cheers
I hope not too. But if I was Honda, I would price is about 20-25% higher. It still will be a steal.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:02   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I hope not too. But if I was Honda, I would price is about 20-25% higher. It still will be a steal.
Lets not plant ideas in their heads, shall we.
Old 9th November 2010, 19:27   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post

I have seen people going for other bikes because "R15 is one lakh and still has such a skinny tyre"
What they dont know is that the tyre in question is the best available on any indian manufactured bike.
Maybe so, but looks and image are also pretty important for someone dropping 1 lakh on a a150 cc bike. The skinny tire really spoils the show there.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:22   #105
BHPian

A 250 cc single cylinder bike is what India needs now. A real replacement for karizma rr. With a comfortable riding posture, so that it can be called a sports tourer. Even fuel injection and liquid cooling are very much needed. Because these two features will increase the price of the bike, the repair of problems will need more specialized work force and equipment.Honda has the capability to build reliable fuel efficient, air cooled engines. I feel that mono shock is an absolute necessary. Because the suspension features affect the ride and handling of the bike. I need a cheap replacement for the Karizma RR and that should be a 250cc single cylinder, air cooled carbureted bike preferably..

Most Viewed