Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 17:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Some pics, Sorry for the composition just wanted to show the damage. I am going to replace all the things which needs replacement, else will be restored.

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03029.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03028.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03027.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03026.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03024.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03023.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03022.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03020.jpg

I need some important suggestions from fellow members as to what all needs to be done on the Yaam, i am little new to bikes especially old 2 strokes Mom was always against me riding bikes so never really got a chance to own one

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2010, 18:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Available at 60 RS at Hilton motors, Phone number 0471- 2555085, Speak to them and find out if this is what you need. i will pick it up while i come to chennai
Thanks for the offer, I hope they're genuine & atleast 2 years old. As per YMIS, they're having a back order on this one, right side L bracket, stator coils, magnet, say for over 6 months now. RXZ parts are almost extinct now.

Quote:
I need some important suggestions from fellow members as to what all needs to be done on the Yaam, i am little new to bikes especially old 2 strokes
Pramod, what exactly are you looking? From my understanding, you want to restore to stock without any mods, also you're planning to replace all the things that needs replacement or you're planning to restore. So what apart from this are you looking?

Oh!!! BTW, keep a good watch on your exhaust assy, we no longer get the same quality

Last edited by aargee : 13th November 2010 at 18:12.
Old 13th November 2010, 18:04   #18
BHPian

strip the bike check truness of the chasis, paint 3 coats

new petrol tank (tank rust can kill your engine) , cables,wiring, switches, mudguards, rims spokes. it is ideal to replace the chrome parts as rechroming is not durable. you can rechrome all nut bolts, exhaust silencer, handle bar etc...

paint inside of the rims and front mudguard for added rust protection before fixing

better to redo the engine now (if required) as getting OE parts is difficult

get the work done at a yamaha dealership as they show interest in getting the parts , often visit them tocheck the progress of the work

good luck
georgev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2010, 18:10   #19
BHPian

Are you planning for front disc setup.
What about gas shox.
Get an original yamaha headlight. Change to halogen.
Are you gonna retain that saree guard
Check battery for leak. The chain cover is corroded because of that. (most probably the battery will be dead)

Well that is what can be said from outside..
Old 13th November 2010, 18:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Thanks for the offer, I hope they're genuine & atleast 2 years old. As per YMIS, they're having a back order on this one, right side L bracket, stator coils, magnet, say for over 6 months now. RXZ parts are almost extinct now.
Hilton is a Yamaha A S S, send me a pic of what you have and the things to look for in a genuine one, anyways just give them a call.

Quote:
Pramod, what exactly are you looking? From my understanding, you want to restore to stock without any mods, also you're planning to replace all the things that needs replacement or you're planning to restore. So what apart from this are you looking?
The things which will cost more to restore, for example the re-chroming of front wheel is 1k, but a new wheel is 500 INR(the cd 100 one)

Quote:
Oh!!! BTW, keep a good watch on your exhaust assy, we no longer get the same quality
I and a old team member from my last office in hyd restored his rx 100 and we changed the HL to pulsars and frond wheel to CD 100 and the exhaust to the rx135s (i liked the sound) but after reading your thread in xbhp i believe doing that will be the most stupid thing as the beat is the most sort after, just a question, my exhaust has some minor dents, can they be removed? if yes i will re chrome the exhaust alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
strip the bike check truness of the chasis, paint 3 coats

new petrol tank (tank rust can kill your engine) , cables,wiring, switches, mudguards, rims spokes. it is ideal to replace the chrome parts as rechroming is not durable. you can rechrome all nut bolts, exhaust silencer, handle bar etc...

paint inside of the rims and front mudguard for added rust protection before fixing

better to redo the engine now (if required) as getting OE parts is difficult

get the work done at a yamaha dealership as they show interest in getting the parts , often visit them tocheck the progress of the work

good luck
The chassis is new(well almost at 7 years old), i will strip the bike and paint the chassis, i was thinking of powder coating. The crank is making noise, my bro said he replaced the crank and the piston so it might be the rings, a local mech who helped me to start the bike said the job would cost 2.5k but i am not going for it, i just want to gather as much as info first before doing anything, i too was thinking of a new tank and side plates, but have no idea how much it will cost, can you please share the cost, the tanks insides are rusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Are you planning for front disc setup.
What about gas shox.
Get an original yamaha headlight. Change to halogen.
Are you gonna retain that saree guard
Check battery for leak. The chain cover is corroded because of that. (most probably the battery will be dead)

Well that is what can be said from outside..
No discs in the front as of now, The shocks are too supposed to be stock, most probably reworked if new ones are not available, the discover gas shocks are perfect match i heard, but question is what other options do we have for the front? The headlight is already halogen and the dome is going to change to OE specs, yes the saree guard will stay and will be matt black, the batt is a non maintenance type dry batt and is surly dead, i will replace that as well with a new one, the chain cover and the engine will be painted to OE color but my question is will i get the logos and monograms on the engine?

Argee i need your help interms of how to start the project, should i strip the bike and give the engine for rework while the rest of the bike gets painted? or should i get the bike mechanically in order first and then get to cosmetics. I need to know this urgently.

Pramod
Old 13th November 2010, 18:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Pramod go for OEM round mirrors as well. I see you haven't got them on your Yaam.
Old 13th November 2010, 19:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Pramod go for OEM round mirrors as well. I see you haven't got them on your Yaam.
They are on the list,

i am now seriously considering going for new tank and side flaps. Need to know the price can anyone help?

Pramod
Old 13th November 2010, 19:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i am now seriously considering going for new tank and side flaps. Need to know the price can anyone help?
What's side flap? You mean side shields?
Tank might cost nearly 3K; side shields, one a little over 300 & other one nearly to 300.

Quote:
Hilton is a Yamaha A S S, send me a pic of what you have and the things to look for in a genuine one, anyways just give them a call.
Whoa!!! Good good; this is good to hear. Let me give them a call on Monday & update.

Quote:
The things which will cost more to restore, for example the re-chroming of front wheel is 1k, but a new wheel is 500 INR(the cd 100 one)
Err...are you saying restoration will cost more? I don't think so. Also, new rims might not come so cheap of Rs 500. When the fenner itself cost nearly a K, the rims should cost even more.

Quote:
but after reading...re chrome the exhaust alone
Very minor dents can be removed, but do not attempt to remove the major ones even if the guy say he can; chroming simply weakens the metal. But since, this will be the first chroming job on the exhaust, you can carry out with confidence. No issues.

So, you've been following my thread huh? Did you find anything useful at all other than my rants

Quote:
i believe doing that will be the most stupid thing as the beat is the most sort after
I couldn't clearly understand the part above. Can you elaborate pls?

Quote:
i was thinking of powder coating
Ok

Quote:
The crank is making noise, my bro said he replaced the crank and the piston so it might be the rings
You need to check as it could even be a problem with connecting rod as well.

Quote:
a local mech who helped me to start the bike said the job would cost 2.5k
2.K for what? Overhauling the crankshaft? Too much!!!

Quote:
the tanks insides are rusted.
Go for new tank, emblem, fuel tank cap (you might not get the lock pin, if you do, I'm willing to pay you twice the money, I'm suffering without one) & fuel cock.

Quote:
the discover gas shocks are perfect match i heard, but question is what other options do we have for the front?
Front no option other than Rx; May be you can go for Gladiator's front that're direct fit.

Quote:
The headlight is already halogen and the dome is going to change to OE specs
Halogen fine, but what's the wattage? 35/30 or 60/55?

Quote:
but my question is will i get the logos and monograms on the engine?
Easy; even if you don't, ping me, I can courier you the spare ones I have. Consider them as my contribution.

Quote:
Argee i need your help interms of...need to know this urgently.
I've a post somewere in TBhp on how to get the restoration work done & how to go about things. Let me search that for you.

Without a doubt, its first the engineering, cosmetics followed by electricals.

EDIT - Last but not the least, if you're having OE Minda lockset (steel keys), do not even think of replacing it with the new Minda ones, no matter however worst it is. Get it repaired, the newer ones are not adding beauty to Rx

Last edited by aargee : 13th November 2010 at 19:47.
Old 13th November 2010, 20:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've a post somewere in TBhp on how to get the restoration work done & how to go about things. Let me search that for you.
Here you go - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1865683-post.html

First you decide which type of work you need to carry out & don't be crazy like me

Last edited by aargee : 13th November 2010 at 20:15.
Old 13th November 2010, 20:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's side flap? You mean side shields?
Tank might cost nearly 3K; side shields, one a little over 300 & other one nearly to 300.
Then new one it is, do they come in any color or are they black by default? And one more question is do the emblems come along for the shields or we have to buy them? i have seen your pics on xbhp and they were with the emblems.

Quote:
Err...are you saying restoration will cost more? I don't think so. Also, new rims might not come so cheap of Rs 500. When the fenner itself cost nearly a K, the rims should cost even more.
A new rim cost 500 RS at the honda spare shop including the spokes, only thing is we have to take it to a guy who fixes it and aligns it.

Quote:
Very minor dents can be removed, but do not attempt to remove the major ones even if the guy say he can; chroming simply weakens the metal. But since, this will be the first chroming job on the exhaust, you can carry out with confidence. No issues.
I have circled the dent

Name:  123.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  38.5 KB

Quote:
So, you've been following my thread huh? Did you find anything useful at all other than my rants
The challenges you faced is a real eye opener lesson learned do you homework well taking every step

Quote:
I couldn't clearly understand the part above. Can you elaborate pls?
The engine note changed, it was more sedate and muffled but later realized that the engine note of a rx 100 is the soul of the bike

Quote:
You need to check as it could even be a problem with connecting rod as well.

2.K for what? Overhauling the crankshaft? Too much!!!
When we started the bike it was humming at higher revs and the mech said the engine needs overhaul so Foby immediately asked what exactly is the problem and the mech said its the crank shaft and he said its a 2.5k job.

Quote:
Go for new tank, emblem, fuel tank cap (you might not get the lock pin, if you do, I'm willing to pay you twice the money, I'm suffering without one) & fuel cock.
I have no idea what all parts you are talking about

Quote:
Front no option other than Rx; May be you can go for Gladiator's front that're direct fit.
The RX front shocks will be very difficult to score and hence i was thinking of other options, i don't believe in shock rebuilds.

Quote:
Halogen fine, but what's the wattage? 35/30 or 60/55?
I will open the dome tomorrow and check. My dog has a tools eating habbit and have eater all my screw drivers, she is so good at finding them even if i hide them.

Quote:
Easy; even if you don't, ping me, I can courier you the spare ones I have. Consider them as my contribution.

Without a doubt, its first the engineering, cosmetics followed by electricals.
Thanks for the offer, i will surly keep that in mind. However my question was is is advisable to dismantle the engine for painting after the rebuild or should i dismantle the engine paint first and then rebuild it?

Quote:
EDIT - Last but not the least, if you're having OE Minda lockset (steel keys), do not even think of replacing it with the new Minda ones, no matter however worst it is. Get it repaired, the newer ones are not adding beauty to Rx
My bro said the lock sets are new and here is a pic of the keys

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03041.jpg

Pramod
Old 13th November 2010, 20:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then new one it is, do they come...we have to buy them?
You've to buy the side shields, tank separately & emblems are sold separately. Oh!!! you need to buy the specific screws for them in addition. The one I posted there was after assembling them.

Quote:
A new rim cost 500...guy who fixes it and aligns it.
Sry Pramod, you're right, just verified the price was Rs 500 & spoke set around Rs 200. Nothing to worry, take it to a competent truver & they'll get the job done perfectly.

Quote:
I have circled the dent
Well, I guess that dent is little difficult to fix; what can be done is by tapping other sides & try to reduce the depth of dent & then chrome it. There would be a little improvement than chroming as such.

Quote:
The challenges you faced is a real eye opener lesson learned do you homework well taking every step
Well, I wanted to do such a thing for over several years & finally I was able to achieve them; its a hand made, home made Rx. The confidence when you ride it is immeasurable. So its like knowing every bolt & nut & sometimes you also know which nuts holds which part tight!!!

Quote:
The engine note changed...soul of the bike
Right, I'd assumed this; the Rx135's baffles have been increased for pollution norms.

Quote:
When we started the bike...crank shaft and he said its a 2.5k job.
I don't know what to say, but a new crankshaft itself costs about 3K, so think over if 2.5K is worth for what he's doing & also ask what's the work he's going to carry out.

Quote:
I have no idea what all parts you are talking about
Ok, just open the fuel cap when you fill petrol next time, you can see a small 1-1.5 inch pin at the mouth. That's the part I'm talking about. Haven't been able to source one for over 1+ year now

Quote:
The RX front shocks will be very difficult to score...i don't believe in shock rebuilds.
That will cost like a bomb & you may want to reconsider rebuilding unless the parts are conked off. Ensure that you've the fork assy only from Rx & not of Gladiator. Replace the cone set no matter what condition it is, just costs Rs 450 or so, worth replacing including the upper cover.

Quote:
However my question was is is advisable to dismantle the engine for painting after the rebuild or should i dismantle the engine paint first and then rebuild it?
Well, dismantling the engine gives top notch quality, you can also consider painting the cylinder & head, crankcase.

Quote:
My bro said the lock sets are new and here is a pic of the keys
Welcome to the club; this is what I'm having & looking out for the old steel keys. Those old keys rocks in looks. I adviced you against getting this model, but you've got it now

BTW, what's the condition of swing arm & its bushes?

Last edited by aargee : 13th November 2010 at 20:53.
Old 15th November 2010, 05:19   #27
BHPian

Hi Pramod, Am also belonging to Trivandrum. Since i saw your interest in restoring the bike, am very happy to provide you with some help if you are interested.

1. For any work you can give it to Hilton and the Service Engineer Sydney Fernandes knows me very well. You can give my name as reference.
2. If you are doing the work of your own then it can get the things moved at the right pace as you expect as the YASS is always crowded with the new model bikes.
3. For powder coating the black parts, you can try M. R Powder Coating in Chakka and their phone number is 0471-2507305
4. For a new tank and side panels with gold line as in the factory shape you can get the tank for Rs 2600/- and side covers for another Rs 500 from Prince Autospares the authorised dealer for Yamaha just opposite to PRS Hospital, Killipalam. Last month i saw a set there for display and is readily available.
5. For the mudguard, indicator, wiring kit(go for the minda wiring kit for RX135), speedo unit with the pilot boxes, front shock absorber springs, clutch and front brake levers and its holders, handle grips, front foot rest rubbers, rear foot rests, wheel bearings, cables, brake shoes and chain covers you can get it from Prince.
6. There is a very famous guy in a place called Attakulangara who does the chroming. Give the handle, silencer pipes, bend pipe, locking nut for silencer, gear shift lever, rear grab rail for pillion and the rear brake pedal for chroming. There is no point in chroming the spokes and rims as buying the new ones work out cheaper.
7. For the engine side covers, chain covers, shock absorber lowers give it the silver paint. If you have the current shock absorbers not able to be rebuilt to its condition, you can buy two left shock absorbers(both inner and outer with internals like spring) of the yamaha gladiator so that you can have the drum brake.
8. Do go for the RX100 chain and sprocket kit from rolon as the RX135 chain and sprocket kit will affect the initial that RX100 gives.
9. Last but least for the RX100s that came till 1990 if am correct in remembering the cylinder head used to be buffed like the RD350 cylinder heads. Try to get it done like that and lacquered over so the originality can be retained.

Like some one mentioned its best to have the engine also rebuilt at the same time as in one go you can get the things completed.
All the best for the restore/rebuild.

Cheers
Jay
jayakrishnan_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2010, 09:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnan_v View Post
Hi Pramod, Am also belonging to Trivandrum. Since i saw your interest in restoring the bike, am very happy to provide you with some help if you are interested.

1. For any work you can give it to Hilton and the Service Engineer Sydney Fernandes knows me very well. You can give my name as reference.
2. If you are doing the work of your own then it can get the things moved at the right pace as you expect as the YASS is always crowded with the new model bikes.
3. For powder coating the black parts, you can try M. R Powder Coating in Chakka and their phone number is 0471-2507305
4. For a new tank and side panels with gold line as in the factory shape you can get the tank for Rs 2600/- and side covers for another Rs 500 from Prince Autospares the authorised dealer for Yamaha just opposite to PRS Hospital, Killipalam. Last month i saw a set there for display and is readily available.
5. For the mudguard, indicator, wiring kit(go for the minda wiring kit for RX135), speedo unit with the pilot boxes, front shock absorber springs, clutch and front brake levers and its holders, handle grips, front foot rest rubbers, rear foot rests, wheel bearings, cables, brake shoes and chain covers you can get it from Prince.
6. There is a very famous guy in a place called Attakulangara who does the chroming. Give the handle, silencer pipes, bend pipe, locking nut for silencer, gear shift lever, rear grab rail for pillion and the rear brake pedal for chroming. There is no point in chroming the spokes and rims as buying the new ones work out cheaper.
7. For the engine side covers, chain covers, shock absorber lowers give it the silver paint. If you have the current shock absorbers not able to be rebuilt to its condition, you can buy two left shock absorbers(both inner and outer with internals like spring) of the yamaha gladiator so that you can have the drum brake.
8. Do go for the RX100 chain and sprocket kit from rolon as the RX135 chain and sprocket kit will affect the initial that RX100 gives.
9. Last but least for the RX100s that came till 1990 if am correct in remembering the cylinder head used to be buffed like the RD350 cylinder heads. Try to get it done like that and lacquered over so the originality can be retained.

Like some one mentioned its best to have the engine also rebuilt at the same time as in one go you can get the things completed.
All the best for the restore/rebuild.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks a lot Jay, Thats a lot of useful info. To paint the old tank and side pannels in dupont i was given a 5k quote, a new one for half its price is definitely a steal. How much do you think the chroming should cost?

I am going for new wheels, sprockets, a clutch, tank, side panels, all lights.

I was also thinking of going for a new shifter and kicker as they are just a couple of 100 Rs only.

The engine and the engine side covers needs painting. My question is should i get them painted the rebuild the engine or rebuild the engine first and then give it for painting?

I was thinking of powder coating the frame the swing arms and the sari guard.

The project will start soon after new year as i might have to move out of town for work. I dont wanna end up with a stupid mech who has no idea about this and neither do i want my bike struck at the A S S waiting for parts. To start with i will have the carb disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. All the tubes connecting to the carb are missing except for the main fuel line. I also started noticing a fuel leak, Is a carb rebuild kit easily available?

Pramod
Old 15th November 2010, 15:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Jay, Thats a lot of useful info. To paint the old tank and side pannels in dupont i was given a 5k quote, a new one for half its price is definitely a steal. How much do you think the chroming should cost?

I am going for new wheels, sprockets, a clutch, tank, side panels, all lights.

I was also thinking of going for a new shifter and kicker as they are just a couple of 100 Rs only.

The engine and the engine side covers needs painting. My question is should i get them painted the rebuild the engine or rebuild the engine first and then give it for painting?

I was thinking of powder coating the frame the swing arms and the sari guard.

The project will start soon after new year as i might have to move out of town for work. I dont wanna end up with a stupid mech who has no idea about this and neither do i want my bike struck at the A S S waiting for parts. To start with i will have the carb disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. All the tubes connecting to the carb are missing except for the main fuel line. I also started noticing a fuel leak, Is a carb rebuild kit easily available?

Pramod
Hi Pramod, pls do check with that MR powder coating guy for the quote for the same. The shifter and the brake pedal if its readily available then you can buy it rather than plating. In that case you will be left out with the chroming of the silencer pipe, its bend pipe and lock nut.

For the carbs, try in babu auto spares in palayam or even in Prince for the rebuild kit. The overflow tubes and all you can buy it from any spare shops.

What i did for my RX was there is a mechanic named Santhosh working with Sydney there in Hilton. He came home dismantled the bike and kept the engine and the carbs at home, my brother gave it for painting and plating, collected the parts back, and we took it to Santhosh's house and got it assembled back. By doing this you have the advantage of getting all the things done in front of your eyes.

For the engine side covers, since it goes along with the painting job give it for painting from the beginning itself. Also check for the shock absorbers on the front, if it needs to be changed make the order for the gladiator tubes with hilton or muthoot yamaha so that you will get it in advance as the fork lowers of gladiator comes in black and when you give the parts for silver colour painting you can do so. While the parts are being painted, get the engine rebuild done, so that it will be a matter of putting the clutch side cover and fill in with oil, the magnet side cover to fit the front sprocket and complete the magneto fitting. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jay
Old 15th November 2010, 15:38   #30
BHPian

Hey. what do you mean by carb rebuid kit.

Jayakrishnan@ can you tell me precisely where baby auto spares in palayam is. I have been looking for some time for an airscrew for my rx135 carb..thanks

Most Viewed