Team-BHP - My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/92067-my-yamaha-rx100-restoration-thread-tribute-my-childhood-crush-5.html)

Yes, my RX100 also has the same Engine and Chassis number.

How can a bike become a true home made bike unless you paint it. Well i have taken that dreaded step and painted my RX 100. The finish is better than most of the RXes i have seen, but i believe the tank can be painted even better. I have some pics rest will be posted by nutty_nair who was documenting the entire process.

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-04022011001.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-04022011002.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-04022011003.jpg

Pramod

The bike is being painted red as we speak, I have just applied a base coat to check how the finish is? I have encountered some issues " lifting" I have to Remove the finish from affected areas and refinish. This is caused mainly because of enamel based paint used earlier :Frustrati. I will post pics of some final results. BTW can anyone help me source a YEIS sticker that goes on the engine cover

Pramod

Good one mate. Would love to see the final product :)

Hi Pramod, the RX100 came with a black stripe and didnt come with the YEIS written on teh engine cover. If you are looking to restore it to the ultra stock standard, then that sticker part for RX100 was a black strip and you could get it from the showroom. If its not available then i would get it vinyl cut.

Forgot to add, if you are doing the vinyl cut in black colour do that and stick it on before you do the finaly lacquer coat so that it will be held there properly

Thanks for the reply guys, I have painted the bike black again, The red was looking very much out of the place. @ Jaykrishnan, I have little change of plans as of now, its not a stock restoration, the bike will also be a tribute to a RD we had in our family long back. So as a start the bike's engine is painted matt black. The mud guards and the rear bar behind the seat will go for chroming along with the gear lever. I have painted the bike to get the fitness done ASAP, it will undergo a detailed restoration once i have some M. Some pics Kindly ignore the upper part of the chain cover, it will be painted.

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03760.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03759.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03758.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc03757.jpg

Pramod

A bit late in posting but I think this will help you guys see the enthu and DIY spirit of Pramod.
The scrubbed side panel ready for painting
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07431.jpg
The Painter:D
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07432.jpg
The "wet" look!
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07434.jpg
Pramod & Foby working together on the tank
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07435.jpg
The tank ready for painting
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07436.jpg
The tank gets a coat of paint
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07438.jpg
The side panels get a second coat
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07440.jpg
Waxing & Polishing
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07442.jpg
The"glazed" look!
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07445.jpg
The tribute to RD350
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc07446.jpg

@Pramod:- I would have suggested to take out the tank for painting job.

Whats the news on this bike? Fully restored now? I have a 135 and planning to pick up a 100 soon :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrat (Post 3938435)
Whats the news on this bike? Fully restored now? I have a 135 and planning to pick up a 100 soon :)

It is fully restored twice after this thread :D

Its now Blue and is one sweet bike.

Pramod

[quote=Nutty Nair;2248362]A bit late in posting but I think this will help you guys see the enthu and DIY spirit of Pramod.
The scrubbed side panel ready for painting

What a shoddy painting job? Get the RX painted by professionals who know their job. RX deservs it

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 3956157)
It is fully restored twice after this thread :D

Its now Blue and is one sweet bike.

Pramod

Post some photos here, buddy.

This thread has been dead for a while, thought of resurrecting this thread.

I have Restored the bike twice, one being a ground up and the second being a cosmetic restoration. During the first restoration the bike was all black.

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-5.jpg

Immediately after that I decided to restore it as per the color in the RC.

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-2.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-3.jpg

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-4.jpg

The tank had a lot of rust which was clogging the carburettor and the bike was as unreliable as it could be, it would stop at any moment and will refuse to start, leaving me stranded. It was funny for the people to see a middle aged man taking his bike to bits on the side of the road desperately trying to get it running again :D

One day I decided to let go of laziness and finally I decided to change the tank, but the tank I got was a lovely blue color tank from my friends shop, this was the only tank he had. It was so beautiful I could never ever repaint it to the original grey color of the bike, even if I wanted. The bike started like Frankenstein with a lot of mismatched parts. Below is the current image of the bike taken yesterday night.

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-1.jpg

In between, I received a gift from a friend in Kashmir in 2015. it was a bone stock Yamaha RX 135 5 speed(now I can truly say I have not bought any of my bikes lol: ).

When I got it, it still had fitness (it was a 2001 model), it was black and it needed a lot of love and I started restoring it, it took me much more time than my usual restoration. I was building my house at the same time.

It was finally restored in the end of 2016, but even before I could ride it, my father passed away. I never got a chance to ride this bike more than 100 meters, yes you read it right !

The 135 5 speed after restoration.

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-13.jpg
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-14.jpg
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-15.jpg
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-16.jpg
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-17.jpg
My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-18.jpg

Especially with no fitness it was too much trouble to ride it on the street, so it started going back to the ground. It always had an issue with its kicker it was slipping, I changed the idle gear and the kicker ratchet but, it would still slip. So I couldn't even ride it on the private road in front of my house. it needed help.

I fell in love with the blue tank but it was not matching with the RX 100, the RX 100 is my workhorse, with its fitness test coming again by 2019, I feel it needs to be restored again. I will fix everything other than the engine as of now. The engine is perfect as of now, but its slipping couple of gears. I will attack the engine in a couple of weeks/months.

So I decided to transfer all the restored bits(wheels, painted articles, disk break) from the 5 speed to the rx 100. The 5 speed will be restored if I get the paperwork in order. Its a GA 01 reg bike and any help in obtaining an NOC will be highly appreciated. I am pretty sure that the maroon tank will make me feel bad and I will end up buying another tank, but for now this is how it will be.

Plan on the 5 speed is to restore it later after I either get an NOC or the plan b is to buy a rusted goner with good paperwork and use this bike as a donor to restore that bike.

The 5 speed eventually will be OE Yamaha Blue in color. Along with the panels

The plan is to start the transplant tomorrow, and hopefully finish it by tomorrow itself. I will try to capture the entire restoration and post it on youtube. I will post the link tomorrow.

Coming soon:

New thread on an RXZ and Rx 135 5 speed(hopefully soon)

Pramod

A quick time lapse of the entire process, hope you guys like it.

https://youtu.be/Xs-p5YF3mNE

Pramod