Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 19:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush

I was young and was in boarding school, i used to visit my Aunt's place where she used to stay gleaming in red. I was too short then and my legs barely used to touch the ground when i used to sit on her. I was in my 7th grade when i day the miracle happened and my feet finally touched the ground. I used to roll her around the property and feel one day i will ride her. She belonged to my second cousin bro and he took her virtually across India with him whenever he used to get transferred. I rode her for the first time in 97 when he came to Delhi, she was black then and took my breath away that day, i took her to our school one day and i didn't see her ever since. On November 2nd my Aunt passed away she was suffering from long time ailments and finally i met my cousin who now works in Qatar. His wife and son stay near my house in Trivandrum and on Tuesday they invited us over, and my heart sunk the moment i saw her again, she was covered in dust and cobwebs. I asked my cousin what is his plan for the bike, he said he is gonna sell it as scrap as soon as he moves to his newly constructed home. I mustered all the courage and asked him if i could have her and immediately his wife said, please take this junk out of my car porch. That was it i waited till today and finally i and fellow Bhpian Foby Sebastian brought her home. All we did was take out the spark plug and pumped the crank and finally started the bike and guess what, the bike which didn't move an inch in 4 years sputtered to life, we gave her for a wash and she brought a smile on my face. on the way to the service station we got two offers for her. I will restore her soon, but for the moment i must leave trivandrum for work. I have promised her that she will be as good as new once i come back on the next weekend.......Pics to follow

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2010, 19:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

@Pramod - Good to see you as another Rx fan Yes, you should restore the Rx, but DO NOT remain hasty or postpone the work as the spares on Rx are getting extinct everyday. What you get today might not be possible. So do you level best to collect the parts as soon as possible.

So, what're your plans on bringing back to glory? Pls feel free to reach me for any parts that you need & I'll be glad to help.

PS - Incidentally this is your post # 1111
Old 12th November 2010, 20:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the offer argee, I might be coming to chennai next week. To start with the bike has to under go fitness. The paint job will be done after i return from Chennai. The piston needs new rings, a new front mudguard and wheel is also needed. Plus the suspension needs work, post that the bike will be produced for the RTO test and finally will hit the roads, today i rode the bike about 10 kms with wife as a pillion and trust me both of us have back aches . Here in kerala parts are at plenty and i don't think it will be out of stock any soon. Every used bike shop have 4-5 Yams and asking price 25-30k, It will soon reach where RD reached, but since they were sold in huge numbers, i dont think it would reach there soon. I will post pics tomorrow, low light conditions are not conducive.

Pramod
Old 12th November 2010, 20:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pramod, you are the man! Thats some passionate stuff bro! I know what it must feel like. I too had a crush on the Yaam since school days, 10th to be specific. So like the Lancer we get to see another mod job or stock restoration ?
Pics Pics Pics please.
Old 12th November 2010, 21:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations man.I know exactly how it is, though I never missed the RX 100s n the shoguns and the RX135s as they were in "my times" . I just booked the Ninja 250 after falling for it in 93-94

Wish you a lovely time ahead.

Cheers !
Old 12th November 2010, 21:50   #6
BHPian

Pramodkumar, have fun with the bike. Please post pics. Consider yourself lucky to own a beauty you have been dreaming since childhood.

Happy riding!

Cheers!
Jose.
Old 12th November 2010, 21:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks prince,

The Yaam would be bone stock just like the day i fell in love with, Also wanted to give a tribute to dads RD, so might have RDs tail lights and may be decals as well, The paint job is already booked and it will be dupont, the bike has gone a couple of color changes, not once, so i really don't know what was is the color in the RC. I am going to do it more passionately than the lancer.

My pet casper checking out the new girl in my life.

My Yamaha RX100 restoration thread - A tribute to my childhood crush-dsc02931_filtered.jpg

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2010, 21:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thanks for the offer argee, I might be coming to chennai next week.
Welcome, welcome, lets plan for a meet

Quote:
To start with the bike has to under go fitness.
Oh!!! its crossed 15 years is it? What's the year of make?

Quote:
The piston needs new rings, a new front mudguard and wheel is also needed. Plus the suspension needs work, post that the bike will be produced for the RTO test and finally will hit the roads
Rings costs a bomb; front mudguard around a K; wheels, you mean rims right? Try sourcing CD100's which is direct fit & has better quality than Rx's stock rims. Suspension is front or rear? For rear, source out the old Discover's SNS (twin springs), they're very comfortable for solo & put it to 5th point with pillion.

Quote:
today i rode the bike about 10 kms with wife as a pillion and trust me both of us have back aches
Get a stock seat that has hard foam, costs around .9K, way too comfortable.

Quote:
Here in kerala parts are at plenty and i don't think it will be out of stock any soon.
Try to source a right side L bracket & right side OE pilot lamps

Also consider fixing a front disc brakes
Old 12th November 2010, 22:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Pramod, it is stock all the way as it is. You have your work cut out. Now only to restore it with the paint job. There is a 1987 well maintained Yaam in BLR but the bugger is acting too pricey. Infact he doesn't want to sell it at all. It has the Jap made engines.
Old 12th November 2010, 22:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Welcome, welcome, lets plan for a meet
I am here to stay, lets meetup.

Quote:
Oh!!! its crossed 15 years is it? What's the year of make?

The crush is 18 year old , may be 91-92, i dont know yet, the RC is not with me yet

Quote:
Rings costs a bomb; front mudguard around a K; wheels, you mean rims right? Try sourcing CD100's which is direct fit & has better quality than Rx's stock rims. Suspension is front or rear? For rear, source out the old Discover's SNS (twin springs), they're very comfortable for solo & put it to 5th point with pillion.
Foby is getting me a rust removing soap, which surprisingly removes rust. might electroplate the existing mudgards, yes i will get the new CD 100s rim from HH A S S, Suspension is hard both front and back, so might get them reworked or will go for OE spec new ones, i want to keep her all original.

Quote:
Get a stock seat that has hard foam, costs around .9K, way too comfortable.
seats are already stock, I am thinking of removing the rear bar which is quite uncomfortable to the pillon rider. This was a single owner bike owned by a passionate mechanical engineer, he has even changed the coil to 12 V

Quote:
Try to source a right side L bracket & right side OE pilot lamps
If you need them i will get them don't challenge me

Quote:
Also consider fixing a front disc brakes
No it will be drums, this is going to be a show piece item and will only go for short runs of > 10kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Pramod, it is stock all the way as it is. You have your work cut out. Now only to restore it with the paint job. There is a 1987 well maintained Yaam in BLR but the bugger is acting too pricey. Infact he doesn't want to sell it at all. It has the Jap made engines.

Yes prince it will be all stock, mine too is in the same all jap made leauge, the engine is once re-bored, if you need a yaam let me know i have seen a couple and will get you one, but the prolem is all yaams are pricey, a rotting rx 100 with clean papers can fetch you any where between 7-10k today, the retest itself cost 2k i learned.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 12th November 2010 at 22:22.
Old 12th November 2010, 23:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am here to stay, lets meetup.
Good good, welcome

Quote:
The crush is 18 year old , may be 91-92, i dont know yet, the RC is not with me yet
Same as mine I guess then

Quote:
rust removing soap
Pls, some insights on this is appreciated. I'd like to test if it isn't that expensive.

Quote:
Suspension is hard both front and back, so might get them reworked or will go for OE spec new ones, i want to keep her all original.
Ok

Quote:
seats are already stock
From the pic, it doesn't seem to be stock. In KL we used to get a soft foam seat that is quite common sight everywhere. I'm not talking about that. The OE's were quite hard.

Quote:
If you need them i will get them don't challenge me
Ok, pls source me a OE pilot lamps with bill , no grey market business.

Quote:
No it will be drums, this is going to be a show piece item and will only go for short runs of > 10kms
Good good

What's your plan on oil pump? Did you check the condition of the sprocks? Are they in good condition?
Old 13th November 2010, 05:59   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the aquisition pramod. Hope to see you with the RX in the next tvm meet. Where are you giving your bike for servicing in trivandrum.
Old 13th November 2010, 06:19   #13

Please Please Please Please Please Please Ride her safely. HAve had too many good people go on one. And yes, Congratulations, she looks like a beauty!
Old 13th November 2010, 08:03   #14
BHPian

Congrats bro. It was amazing to know your crush and love towards your beauty. I own a 1984 RD and we been in relation since last 11 years. Wishing you and your beauty a never-ending relationship.

BTW, to remove rust patches from chromed rims and buffed drums/shock tube you can use the steel wool (thin one). Normally these rust patches are just formed over the chrome layer.
Old 13th November 2010, 15:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, pls source me a OE pilot lamps with bill , no grey market business.
Available at 60 RS at Hilton motors, Phone number 0471- 2555085, Speak to them and find out if this is what you need. i will pick it up while i come to chennai

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks