Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 220 F inadequate rear braking issue!

Hello friends,
I recently purchased a new pulsar 220f, im quite pleased with the bike but cant ignore the fact that inspite of being equipped with a rear disc brake, the rear braking seems to be less than adequate, now from what iv gathered from searching internet, this bike has a rear disc issue, so now im wondering is what all options do i have, should i change the rear disc setup with some aftermarket rear disc setup, im in a fix so would love to get some inputs from all you bikers out there, i dont mind spending a little if the results are satisfactory, so please advise.
Thanks
Old 16th November 2010, 23:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

the FI had a rear disk brake problem. but the new ones are fine. the braking is progressive.
Old 17th November 2010, 18:43   #3
BHPian

hi desideep,
thanks for responding, i beg to differ friend, all of my previous bikes which includes re's which i might say are notorious for braking were far far ahead in terms of breaking when compared to this bike, the front discs are adequate and are confidence inspiring but the rear ones simply lack the bite, arnt there any other p220 owners who are facing the same problem or is mine an exeption, i was wondering whether i can get something aftermarket which can provide me with real nice rear braking experience?
Old 17th November 2010, 18:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

There supposed to be NO bite in the rear. Else you'd be kissing the road.

That's why the rear disc is a single pot caliper.

How old is your bike now?

At very slow speeds try standing on the rear brakes, even then if the rear wheel does not lock then you have a problem.

Also, do you have a KBX brake or the Bybre one?
praful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2010, 20:48   #5
BHPian

hello friends,
well the bike is only 3 days old with about 100 km reading on the odometer, the rear brake caliper says b bybre! will try the standing/ hard braking technique tomorrow and then will post the results, one other thing praful i get your point but simultaneously i would like to emphasize that by "bite" i meant reasonable stopping power and not ability to flaunt a 50 feet skid mark, i guess confidence inspiring brakes arnt too much to ask for, right?

Last edited by makanaka : 17th November 2010 at 20:56.
Old 17th November 2010, 20:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanaka View Post
hello friends,
well the bike is only 3 days old with about 100 km reading on the odometer, the rear brake caliper says b bybre! will try the standing/ hard braking technique tomorrow and then will post the results, one other thing praful i get your point but simultaneously i would like to emphasize that by "bite" i meant reasonable stopping power and not ability to flaunt a 50 feet skid mark, i guess confidence inspiring brakes arnt too much to ask for, right?
Don't worry the rear brakes will take time to set in.

Do this, find an empty stretch of road about 100 mtrs. Slowly roll the bike at about 20kmph, then hit the rear brake ONLY hard before the bike stops completely release the brake and then repeat this process a few times. This will build up pressure in the system and braking becomes more effective.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2010, 22:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Why are you using your rear brake?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2010, 23:40   #8
BHPian

Everything needs to run-in properly, like brake systems, tyres, etc., so wait for a while before forming an opinion. If the bike is 3 days old, it certainly needs a bit of babying.

I agree with Sheel on need for using rear brake extensively. AFAIK, its only meant to provide balance when speeds are cut through front brakes and not add to stopping power. So, its preferable they don't lock and hence Bajaj may have designed it that way too.
Old 18th November 2010, 03:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

the caliper that you have is from Brembo if you would know. they are the best on any indian bikes. but to be true the rear brake seem to be amazing to me for my Pulsar. and i know what RE brakes are man. i am some times scared of them . have been living with a RE for sometime now.
Old 28th November 2010, 23:39   #10
BHPian

The RTR also seems to have this 'issue' When I rode one of the P220 F, the rear disc had an awesome bite compared to mine. Some people definitely have complained about what you are facing. So, I'm a bit confused o.o
Old 11th February 2013, 10:22   #11
BHPian

Re: Pulsar 220 F inadequate rear braking issue!

Guys, I too have the same problem on my 220F. My bike is 1 yr old and have clocked 4000kms. I have complained a lot to my dealer in every servicing of the bike. After every servicing the rear brake work fine for round about 50 to 60 km, but after that the whole story repeats again.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

It's best to use the front brakes at all times unless you're riding in the wet or on gravel where you will need to use the rear brakes while the front brakes are used gingerly.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:11   #13
BHPian

Don't even think to rely on rear brakes, they are their to lower down your speed only by a margin that too when you are vry slow, else, always use Rear + front for a power stop. This will give you better control and also inspire confidence.

If you really think there is an issue, put your bike on centre stand, fire up the engine and get the wheel to move by putting in a gear. Now get them some momentum(around 20kmph), put back to neutral, apply the brakes. Check the braking effect, if at 20kmph, it gets a sudden halt, your brakes are fine.
Although dont expect a sudden halt when on road considering the inertia.

Thanks
Shiv
Old 11th February 2013, 19:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
Guys, I too have the same problem...repeats again.
Incase you're experienced to use effective braking & still want to improve the rear brake, use the Honda CBR 250R's rear brake pad which is 100% compliance with P220's rear brake.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 10:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Incase you're experienced to use effective braking & still want to improve the rear brake, use the Honda CBR 250R's rear brake pad which is 100% compliance with P220's rear brake.

Any options for improving the front brakes of the Pulsar 180?( 150,180,200(old),220 use the same size pads). I am somehow finding the brakes to lack the bite and feel. The bike is 5 years old and the brake fluid is changed every year!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks