Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

Cars to Motorcycles and back

Hi!

I have always preferred a Motorcycle to haul myself, whether it is for commuting or for pleasure, but nowadays, have to drive a lot as I absolutely abhor pillions.

There are other instances too, where I am forced to take the Car over a Motorcycle,

Presentation/Travelling with others/Wedding/

Can't wear my gear all the time, so am forced to take the Car in summer, as you can be in shorts & sandals and drive, same goes for grocery and if I need to carry stuff which my back-pack can't accommodate.

The problem--

The transition from Motorcycle to Car is fine, but it takes me 3-4 days to attain my natural (current) level of riding when I go back to a Motorcycle even if the time away from the saddle is a mere 1-2 days.

When I am not riding/driving the transition takes a ride or max two, but while coming back to a Motorcycle after a stint on the Car, it takes alarmingly long and I can't seem to find my magic of riding as I normally/naturally ride.

I can't brake with assurance, the distance increases, can't blip like I do and simply put, hate my riding and admit, to make it up, I sometimes go rash.

Why?

Posting over here as most riders take the wheel and not just occasionally. Its not a mental block or such, to get to that level, I take alarmingly long.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd November 2010 at 22:53.
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:58   #2
BANNED

An act such as walking, involves 200 muscles and thousands of corrections per second. One can look at a toddler practice this art. After a year or two, it would be running or balancing on a beam, and hardly regards walking to be complex, the control of these muscles becomes very natural. Most recreational bikers (including me) use cars to commute to work, and ride during weekends. The switch should become automatic, with lots of practice.

Biking is just the same, repeating moves several times in a controlled environment would help. Simulate potholes, bumps, & turns in a vacant area to get better. And yeah, what were you thinking going rash to makeup for skills?

Last edited by prasadee : 23rd November 2010 at 01:01.
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:06   #3
BHPian

After driving around in a car, when I switch to my 2 wheeler, I feel the 2 wheeler is very unsafe and wonder how I rode all around Bangalore on my 2 wheeler earlier.

The most scariest part for me is braking on wet roads. While I don't think twice about it in my car, I am very conscious about it while riding!

But, instead of getting rash, I tend to ride more carefully as I am more aware of the dangers in riding as compared to driving! I feel I was riding rashly earlier (before I ever drove).
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The transition from Motorcycle to Car is fine, but it takes me 3-4 days to attain my natural (current) level of riding when I go back to a Motorcycle even if the time away from the saddle is a mere 1-2 days.
Whaaat???? 3-4 days is it?
It takes hardly 5-10 minutes for me to get myself adjusted to ride a two-wheeler from a car.

I once drove my car for a week+ for over 1700+ Kms; when I came back home, I could very well ride my scooter & Rx without any complaints. Yes I do agree that I felt a little awkward or some, "getting used to" feeling, but hardly few minutes, certainly not even in hours & forget the days.

Like Vasanth says, I did have a feeling that someone snatched the "safe" feeling, but, I felt more of free.

@Sheel, I somehow get a feeling that you're either exaggerating or over worried; sorry, that's the impression I get.

Last edited by aargee : 23rd November 2010 at 08:28.
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Never had any issues with transition from car to bike to car. In fact I feel very liberated when I drive my Activa, some sense of freedom but with a fear of getting knocked down (sometimes). But I feel very confident when I am driving my car but cant roll down the windows and feel the fresh air (is there any left in the concrete jungle?)

But the transition happens very smoothly, no issues at all.
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Never had any issues with transition from car to bike to car. In fact I feel very liberated when I drive my Activa, some sense of freedom but with a fear of getting knocked down (sometimes). But I feel very confident when I am driving my car but cant roll down the windows and feel the fresh air (is there any left in the concrete jungle?)
I don't fear or am scared to ride two-wheels.

In fact I feel more safe as I can get out of trouble and sticky situations pretty fast.

Braking requires caution as opposed to the Car, I am relying on one wheel to stop with a very thin contact patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
After driving around in a car, when I switch to my 2 wheeler, I feel the 2 wheeler is very unsafe and wonder how I rode all around Bangalore on my 2 wheeler earlier.

The most scariest part for me is braking on wet roads. While I don't think twice about it in my car, I am very conscious about it while riding!

But, instead of getting rash, I tend to ride more carefully as I am more aware of the dangers in riding as compared to driving! I feel I was riding rashly earlier (before I ever drove).
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Biking is just the same, repeating moves several times in a controlled environment would help. Simulate potholes, bumps, & turns in a vacant area to get better. And yeah, what were you thinking going rash to makeup for skills?
I am not going rash as to endanger myself or other fellow road users. I shoot margins thinking I shall be able to brake on time (haven't crashed unto anything, touch-wood)

I am very safe rider, haven't crashed since the past 3-4 years and hope not to as it is a pain to get it all fixed up.

My problem is, I can't get to the same skill level as I had. Since yesterday I have started riding again and by evening (~20kms) I was almost back to my natural level, but from tomorrow I will be forced to drive a Car. The nippy weather isn't helping my cause too :(

Even if I don't drive for a month, I am comfortable within 5 mins behind the wheel.

Are others facing the same issues though not as wild as mine?

@aarge--I am not here to make stories or exaggerate and nor do I have an opinion on everything. And nor am I worried, I am curious.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sheel,

Knowing your repute as a good rider, please don't find anything I say here critical!

Are you driving right? There is a marked difference in the way people drive their two-wheelers and four-wheelers. I, for example, drive a car slower than I ride my Bike and carry over obstinate lane driving to bike riding.

Does your mindset vary a lot between the two?

And I think everyone takes some time to adjust, but 3-4 days is too long.

Also, I would advise against regular riding at your limits. Limits are stretched to accommodate emergencies.

Cheers
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@aarge--I am not here to make stories or exaggerate and nor do I have an opinion on everything. And nor am I worried, I am curious.
You got me wrong @Sheel, I never intended to make pun or offend you; knowing your skills, I only meant that 3-4 days is too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
+1

The above is all what I intended to say. It only takes few minutes or may be hours or few Kms for everyone to get accustomed from 4-2 or 2-4 wheeler. And when you said 3-4 days, it sounded exageratted.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:55   #9
BHPian

Sheel, its an interesting point you have brought here (hope I dont sound like Barkha Dutt).
I am a recreational biker and ride my motorbike only on week-ends/trips. But since biking needs a greater level of concentration/anticipation, somewhow I have found that has also helped me in my car driving habits to anticipate things quicker. Besides, switching from car to bike & vice-versa has been easy for me. Ofcourse, I also have an additional challenge since I drive in Saudi on the right side of the road and every 2-3 months when I come to India I have to drive on the left side in absolutely chaotic Indian situations!- but personally that takes just a couple of minutes to orient myself to the correct side. Probably a little longer on the bike.

Last edited by Haroon : 23rd November 2010 at 14:57.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:24   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sheel,

Knowing your repute as a good rider, please don't find anything I say here critical!

Are you driving right? There is a marked difference in the way people drive their two-wheelers and four-wheelers. I, for example, drive a car slower than I ride my Bike and carry over obstinate lane driving to bike riding.
Honestly, Cars are new to me, though I consider myself an average driver, but never go rash or try to pull out maneuvers which I know I can't.

Team-Bhp has helped me to evolve as a good driver.

Quote:
Does your mindset vary a lot between the two?
Could you be more specific please?

Quote:
Today I was almost back to my normal level of riding.

Quote:
Also, I would advise against regular riding at your limits. Limits are stretched to accommodate emergencies.

Cheers
Agree and thanks for your words, please do chip in more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Sheel, its an interesting point you have brought here (hope I dont sound like Barkha Dutt).
I am a recreational biker and ride my motorbike only on week-ends/trips. But since biking needs a greater level of concentration/anticipation, somewhow I have found that has also helped me in my car driving habits to anticipate things quicker. Besides, switching from car to bike & vice-versa has been easy for me. Ofcourse, I also have an additional challenge since I drive in Saudi on the right side of the road and every 2-3 months when I come to India I have to drive on the left side in absolutely chaotic Indian situations!- but personally that takes just a couple of minutes to orient myself to the correct side. Probably a little longer on the bike.
I think when I shall keep swapping the Car and Motorcycle more regularly, I will get the hang of it. May be its just a matter of time, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Can you guys drive/ride at the same level?

Thanks for the kind words (about being a good rider) but it is different to finding the mojo back quickly post the change. But as I said maybe when the swapping is more frequent I will feel more at home.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:32   #11
BHPian

After a couple of days of driving, I start missing my motorcycle so much that I feel like an excited kid when I get back on the saddle again. On long drives, I begin to miss my motorcycle within a day. I have cancelled many long drives just because of this, and unfortunately, to make matters worse for me, my wife has not started riding a motorcycle yet!

Prajwal
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you be more specific please?
Are you extra-cautious when in the car? Do you tend to stick to a lane in a car, whereas you do not on a bike? Do you immediately accelerate after corners/signals on your bike and not your car?
What i was basically pointing at was the possibility of a generic difference in the way you approach the two. This might be a cause of inertia when moving from the car to the bike. It is plausible that you take more care when driving, while riding for you is more intuitive.

I'll give you an example, I used to ride an RX-100 early on and then graduated to cars. After 4 years, I bought my Bullet and found the transition very unsettling. Once you pile on kilometers in a particular vehicle, actions become much more reflex and much less conscious.

It will definitely get better as you make the transitions more frequent!

Cheers

PS: I feel this is a great topic. The difference in the art of riding and driving in India is sparsely discussed.
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:05   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you extra-cautious when in the car? Do you tend to stick to a lane in a car, whereas you do not on a bike? Do you immediately accelerate after corners/signals on your bike and not your car?
What i was basically pointing at was the possibility of a generic difference in the way you approach the two. This might be a cause of inertia when moving from the car to the bike. It is plausible that you take more care when driving, while riding for you is more intuitive.
I am not extra cautious and drive normally. In a Motorcycle though I am more free and ride more freely wrt to a Car.

Though I don't heel-toe, but do blip during downshifts. Still not got the hang of heeling-toeing though I can't go down w/o blipping even in a scooter

Quote:
I'll give you an example, I used to ride an RX-100 early on and then graduated to cars. After 4 years, I bought my Bullet and found the transition very unsettling. Once you pile on kilometers in a particular vehicle, actions become much more reflex and much less conscious.
Yours was a long period.

Yes, with miles logged in to both vehicle types the actions will be like muscle memory.

Quote:
It will definitely get better as you make the transitions more frequent!
Today evening I was back to my normal self and riding normally hitting the limiter ever so often.

Quote:
PS: I feel this is a great topic. The difference in the art of riding and driving in India is sparsely discussed.
There are few who love Cars & Motorcycles alike, hence...

I think riding more and driving more while hopping from saddle to the seat shall do the trick and as of now it is working.

Thanks & really appreciate all the help and comments

This thread has helped me and I think I will be doing the transition smoothly now.
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have few cars and in which two are coloumn shift gears, one floor geared, a jeep and I use all of vehicles regularly and apart from this I am a preffered driver to my friends, I never found difficulty in adjusting myself apart from minor adjustments like seat distance etc. Sheel what I could feel is it could be because when you are in four wheeler you have a lot of things to be taken care off like margin, distance between the vehicle ahead of you, you cannot zip zap, break without any signal cant go back or 'U' turn immediately that way two wheeler is convenient and gains edge over the car.

Yes I take a little time to grasp the gear patterns when I have to drive a Yamaha and immediately a Honda or a Suzuki these have bikes have nonsense patterns why not two wheelers also have the a same pattern of gear shifting like cars (either all up or all down)? I don't find it to be difficult driving a Bullet (standard) left side break but find myself like a 'L' board while driving a normal bike soon after getting from one brand to other. Chill dude its all in the mind just relax and say it to yourself " All is well with me" and drive safe.

Last edited by chanu : 23rd November 2010 at 23:30. Reason: editing
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

I have never faced any problems while driving Cars (different) and have never goofed up between the RHD & LHD controls.

As far as gear shifting in a Motorcycle goes, its like a muscle memory.

You are right about the 'wide' part in a 4 wheeler whereas on two-wheels, you just don't give a damn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks