Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 20:59   #1
BHPian

Sparkplug Upgrade for Unicorn

Hello friends,
I'm a Unicorn Rider since 4 years and now as my bike is awaiting its next service, I am planning to upgrade her sparkplug. My user manual suggests NGK CPR8EA-9 for regular use and CPR8EAGP-9 for extended high speed driving(Which is from the G-Power series, platinum electrode range of NGK as per the company's website). The newer Honda manuals suggest CPR9EA-9 as the OE.
Any body have idea on what the difference between these are?
I have even thought of Iridium-IX series from NGK but not sure how the engine will respond.
I am planning a couple of 250km road escapes this month. So, thinking of getting it done in a couple of weeks.
I'm pretty happy with the performance of my bike, but feel that the morning starts and the initial 1km run could be better. I trust honda engineers too, but my heart is telling me things can better and head says no.
Any one who has experience with these kindly share their views.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I am not too aware of these different models of spark plugs but I would say stick to the stock one & change only if you see any dip in performance(which I doubt you would).

Frankly speaking the the initial 1 km issue is common to Hondas, they take around that much time to warm up & with winter season its more prominent.

Again its not that the spark plug would be of no use, its just that the iridium & likes often doesnt justify the extra price over a regular spark plug.

So at the end if you want & if you can then get a better plug but even if you cant it shouldn't be a problem.

I hope I have not confused you
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:46   #3
BHPian

Thank You Technocrat for sharing your honest opinion.
You are absolutely right with your view that these only boost our moral performance. But lets just check out with this tiny experiment. If this works, it would be just great for winter starts. I've decided only to stick with the one platinum plug specified in the user manual.
I hate it when the splendor owners in my flat give a single kick and dash off while my bike will be doing burrr...burrr...for the first one minute idle I give her and pause for breath in the first one km when I try to accelerate. I think if I get stronger sparks, I'll be able to get on top of this issue.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sounds good, Keep us posted on how it went
Old 6th December 2010, 23:10   #5
BHPian

Hey I've tried the platinum series in my kine. As the manual suggests sustained high speeds the platinums are better they probably are. But then again I didn't notice much difference.

Now the engine's shot so back to good old stock. Maybe just. A replacement plug will do.
Old 27th January 2011, 21:07   #6
BHPian

Re: Sparkplug Upgrade for Unicorn

Ohh...finally got to find out an NGK dealer in Hyderabad.
When i visited him, he had ran out of Platinum plugs.
He showed me Iridium IX plug though. Was mighty impressed by the tip of the plug which looked almost like a needle. So decided to give it a shot.
Looking back after a week of installing, the engine is a lot more smoother. Morning starts a breeze and top speed has increased marginally. Haven't checked the mileage though. Shall update soon.
Old 27th January 2011, 23:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharan,

I have NGK Iridium plugs in my RTR. I also have the splitfire spark cable. Yes, cold starts are much better, but, I haven't noticed an increase in FE. Please update your FE figures before and after.
Old 28th January 2011, 23:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

I too installed iridium plugs for my karizma. Only improvement i feel is the smoother acceleration but the cold start problem still persists, however the life of iridium plug is 1 lac KM so it proves hassle free experience.
Old 29th January 2011, 01:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
however the life of iridium plug is 1 lac KM so it proves hassle free experience.
Periodic cleaning is a must, for better efficiency, performance.
Old 29th January 2011, 01:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Ohh...finally got to find out an NGK dealer in Hyderabad.
When i visited him, he had ran out of Platinum plugs.
He showed me Iridium IX plug though. Was mighty impressed by the tip of the plug which looked almost like a needle. So decided to give it a shot.
Looking back after a week of installing, the engine is a lot more smoother. Morning starts a breeze and top speed has increased marginally. Haven't checked the mileage though. Shall update soon.
As far as I know , there are no iridium plugs for FZ/Unicorn ! Are those plugs of different ratings ? If yes , wont they affect the bike?
Experts , please throw some light
Old 29th January 2011, 11:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

What is the average life of a stock Spark plug on a Unicorn ? I think on my Uni it has never been replaced, done around 20K Km.
Old 29th January 2011, 11:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

normally stock plugs last 10 k (in case of karizma also), consult owner manual for exact replacement schedule.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
As far as I know , there are no iridium plugs for FZ/Unicorn ! Are those plugs of different ratings ? If yes , wont they affect the bike?
Experts , please throw some light
You are absolutely right.
There are no Iridium Plugs recommended by manufacturers.
I found a recommended Platinum plug in the manual.
Went to buy the Platinum, but it was not available.
But the sales guy showed me the IX plug once and I was amazed by the size of the tip of the plug. Its needle thin. Theoretically, thinner the plug, stronger is the spark, I thought.
Checked the threads, which matched with the earlier plug; so I decided to give it a try.

I can say confidently that it is working properly.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
What is the average life of a stock Spark plug on a Unicorn ? I think on my Uni it has never been replaced, done around 20K Km.
I replace my spark plugs at around 12,000kms. By this mileage the electrodes would be almost fully blown out. You can push it further by adjusting the gap. But still I prefer to replace.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I too installed iridium plugs for my karizma. Only improvement i feel is the smoother acceleration but the cold start problem still persists, however the life of iridium plug is 1 lac KM so it proves hassle free experience.
I thought the life of Iridium Plugs are around 40,000kms. Thats what I read and the dealer confirmed it. How many kms have you done with your Iriduim Plug?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks