Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2010, 17:09   #1
BHPian

God Sent - My Yezdi Roadking!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

It started about a 2 years back when I heard an unusual sound from the other side of the road,it was music to my ears,one look and it was a Yezdi,back then I did not know anything about the bike.Time passed I started working and the thought of owning a Yezdi became intense with every passing day.Unable to to silence the voices in my head I decided to a get a YEZDI.

Met a couple of yezdi owners, the Roadking was suggested as the bike to have.And so the search began ,days turned into months but there was no joy.Finally an old uncle passed me one day on a Road King,I thought for a second 'Why would an old man sell a Roadking to me?' Anyways I chased the bike till it stopped at a signal(I was on a RX 100) Uncle said a Roadking is impossible to find in Mumbai ,prices are too high but I own 5 and Im selling one for 30 thousand!! So i collected the money saw the bike,rode it ,it was unbelievable!!! But uncle had a suggestion that the bike has a shaved piston(low average) n a student like U should go for a stock bike,I said OK!! The next day i bought the bike!! showed it to a Yezdi freak!! He said dude what has this guy given you!! According to him the bike lacked power n there was a lot of clutter ,nuts n bolts were loose,wobbling tyre ,shocks messed up!! Apparently the old guy was a dealer and pulled a fast one on me!! I was pissed cause I worked hard for the cash!!

Anyways I sold the bike to another guy at a lesser amount.(He was made aware of whatever was needed to be done!!)

I used to pass Chincholibundar at Malad qutie often,Isaw a jawa very bad condition sitting down there,children pooping very close to it,it was bad but I wanted it,asked the paanwala he said the owner wants 20k,I said bye!!
One fine day I decided that Im gonna buy it today come what may,left on a CBZ from Bandra to Malad,was caught by cops as the number plate had a number missing(thanks to the good wash at the garage!!) Then apparently the papers mysteriously dissappeared under the seat!! Sat at the cop station for an hour!! My heart said lets go and ask about the jawa my mind said what is wrong with you??? with nothing to eat or drink since morning i left at 12 noon,asked the paanwalla where does the owner live, met the owner,asked him if its his bike and if he wants to sell it ,he said haan ji!!

The deal was struck at 8thousand ,Ijust had 50 rupees in my pocket and a checkbook!! Bought the bike ,papers cleared till 2012,1968 Jawa 250.Filled half a litre of fuel and the ride on the highway from malad to bandra was the best ever!! I dint care what others thought on the road!!

I went back after three weeks to return his lock and he gave me a block!!
GOD SENT for sure!!

The bike is bad condition but running,definately needs engine work !! please advice me
1)as to who in Mumbai is the best to give my bike to.
2)where do I get original parts?(need original piston, silencers and panels,tyres ,rims!!)

Thanks guys!!!
Attached Thumbnails
God Sent - My Yezdi Roadking!-image0017.jpg  

Last edited by v12 : 5th December 2010 at 19:06.
Old 5th December 2010, 17:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Amazing & quite a good story to hear; its true that sometimes the best things comes to us at the most unexpected moment. When we think over them sometimes in future, we could only laugh over it or consider them as a miracle.

Its quite such an incident like what you've described; it could be a God sent one!!! 8K seems to be a good price that you've bought. Yes, it needs a lots & lots of...patience my friend & not restoration.

My 2 cents of suggestion would be, learn over the job; never trust any mechanic unless he's a nearest kith & kin of yours.

I hope you'll keep us updated on the work in progress in this thread. Here're few threads that might help you...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...got-yezdi.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...awa-yezdi.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...zdi-250-a.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ing-rider.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...awa-350-a.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ofit-sale.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...1970-jawa.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...completed.html

PS - You've 6 smileys in your post against the forum rules of 2 per post.
Old 6th December 2010, 13:11   #3
BHPian

Happy to hear the story, and its very nice that the bike is running condition, though it looks not so okay. Congratulations on the buy and all the bestfor the restoration. Keep us updated!!

With thanks and regards
Old 6th December 2010, 13:23   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy. Old is Gold.
Agreed with Aargee. If you own such a bike make sure you know it inside out or atleast basic troubleshooting tricks.
Good mechanic hard to get. Its always, Your Bike = Good Mechanic = Moolah
Old 6th December 2010, 16:13   #5
BHPian

howler,that is one good bike you got for a good deal . Better get yourself enrolled in Yezdi and Roadking users group in yahoo.
They share lot of information about the bike's technical and mechanical stuffs. Happy restoring and wish you do lakhs of miles joyfully in the beast.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:26   #6
BHPian

Congratus buddy

Congratulation on the new beast dude. Keep us posted on the updates on this bike.

From past 2-3 months i somehow want to own one Roadking/Yezdi. Have a Bullet already but can resist to own one of this beast as well. Every time i read about Yezdi's, my urge and interest to own one grows. But again the price what they quote is much higher than the fan-followers for this machine.
Hopefully sooner or later i will have my hands on one!!!
Old 6th December 2010, 17:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

@howler,
Congrats. That's really a good buy. All the best for your restoration process. Keep posted about the updates.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

As far as I recall, in stock condition, this was the only bike to have interchangeable front and rear wheels, so go ahead and use a spare wheel as your leg guard (yes, there is space for that). No other bike can do that. :-)

Congrats on your purchase. This bike was a dream to drive.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:49   #9
BHPian

Can do indeed but please DO NOT put that spare wheel in. It'll KILL the handling.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Can do indeed but please DO NOT put that spare wheel in. It'll KILL the handling.
Never faced a problem with this on my Dad's Standard earlier... Drove it extensively when I was much younger. Another option is to tuck that spare wheel, on a bracket, where people usually put their side box.

Pity, my Dad got scared of me riding his bike, and gifted away the bike to a friend (S**K BA***RD) of his, who in turn sold it off!!!!!
Old 7th December 2010, 17:12   #11
BHPian

hey,
this is a bike my bud picked up, hes using my id to post as he doesnt have a team-bhp id. i rode the bike and it needs a lot of work so he'd appreciate all the info he can get, esp from bombay based folks.

cheers
Old 9th December 2010, 02:23   #12
BANNED

Re: God Sent - My Yezdi Roadking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
hey,
this is a bike my bud picked up, hes using my id to post as he doesnt have a team-bhp id. i rode the bike and it needs a lot of work so he'd appreciate all the info he can get, esp from bombay based folks.

cheers
Hi,

I live in Malad [Mumbai] and have a Yezdi, I can help him out with a few things.
He can get in touch with me on +91-9833648095.

Godspeed!
Old 10th December 2010, 13:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmonkey View Post
Hi,

I live in Malad [Mumbai] and have a Yezdi, I can help him out with a few things.
He can get in touch with me on +91-9833648095.

Godspeed!

Howler's friend:
I need original silencers and a piston,could also thrown in a Jikov if I find one!! Thanks for the advice!! I need it!!

Last edited by howler : 10th December 2010 at 13:39. Reason: NA
Old 11th December 2010, 00:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
The bike is bad condition but running,definately needs engine work !! please advice me
1)as to who in Mumbai is the best to give my bike to.
I know one garage at Vile Parle. This is situated in the lane besides Meghmala CHS, Sant Janabai Marg. After crossing flyover opposite to domestic airport, take service lane towards Andheri, from hanuman mandir take left, go ahead and then again take first left, so now you are in Sant Janabai Marg, go ahead 100 mts and ask for Meghmala CHS. Just after Meghmala there is a lane in left. This garage is in the right side of the dead end. This guy has quite a few Yezdi and Jawa in his garage.
Old 24th December 2010, 21:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
As far as I recall, in stock condition, this was the only bike to have interchangeable front and rear wheels, so go ahead and use a spare wheel as your leg guard (yes, there is space for that). No other bike can do that. :-)
Actually, I think the front hub in the picture posted is a milling hub.
it is NOT interchangeable with the rear wheel as the rear milling hub has a separate groove where the sprocket sits.
Assuming you are using the old style sprocket+hub that is.
The later jawas (post- '68) had smaller hubs.
I think the front Hubs alone are worth about 4-5k+
Please retain the front Hub if possible during restoration.
It is hard to come by nowadays and is quite expensive.

Congrats on the bike. Excellent Deal.

Most Viewed