Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 01:33   #1
BHPian

TBTS - doubts & concerns!!

Hi guys. I've been thinking of buying a TBTS ever since i took a test ride of it about 2-3 months back. The decision kept on getting postponed due to one reason or another.

Now i've decided to finally make a firm decision, and i'm contemplating buying one in early January. But i have a few technical/non-technical doubts in my mind, and would love it if you guys could give your inputs for the same:

1) TBTS has been around in the market for about 2.5 years. I am wondering if there is any updated/new version of this bike that RE might launch soon.

2) I've owned and ridden a standard 350 before and i'm aware what kind of care that beast requires. Is it the same case with the TBTS? I ask because my average daily drive will be in the range of 50-100 kms. So i'd prefer if the bike breaks down less frequently.

3) Considering it will be winter season in it's full glory during January, should i expect a lot of starting problems, especially early in the morning?

4) On similar lines, would it be better for engine to have it's run-in during winters, as the air will be cold and the engine will not overheat?

5) Can you please suggest the riding gear to be worn in order to prevent from extreme cold while riding the bike during winters?

6) Please suggest a good dealer in Delhi/NCR who could provide a good after sale service?

7) I will have to park the bike outside my house, hence i am very much worried about theft issues. Is there any way to safeguard our bikes when kept outside always?

A long list of questions, i know. But i'll be glad if you could answer em.
Old 8th December 2010, 08:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TBTS - doubts & concerns!!

1. The UCE TBTS is around for much lesser than 2.5 years. A source in RE confirmed that there will not be any major changes planned by RE for some time, across its model range.

2. From what I hear, the 350 UCE is mostly a bullet-proof (Pun!) engine. That said, ownership experience typical to RE wont go away.

3 & 4. Unlikely. Vehicle manufacturers do not engineer their vehicles to perform optimally during "favorite" seasons in a year. In fact, when the weather is colder, the air (intake) is denser, and theoretically, an engine would perform optimally.

5. Maybe a full-body riding gear ?

7. I understand there is something called a wheel lock - maybe someone can confirm ?
Old 8th December 2010, 09:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
7) I will have to park the bike outside my house, hence i am very much worried about theft issues. Is there any way to safeguard our bikes when kept outside always?
May be you want to get yourself a motorcycle disc alarm lock in addition to the regular fork lock.

XENA Motorcycle Security: disc-lock alarms for motorcycles, scooters and ATVS

This one senses for any motion & screams like hell; incase someone touches your vehicle in the night, it is sure to wake up the entire neighbourhood in the middle of night. Mind you, be it even a cat!!!
Old 8th December 2010, 13:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This one senses for any motion & screams like hell; incase someone touches your vehicle in the night, it is sure to wake up the entire neighbourhood in the middle of night. Mind you, be it even a cat!!!
Lol. . .it will be a little over the top, but im trying to find a more suttle solution.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol. . .it will be a little over the top, but im trying to find a more suttle solution.
Over the top? I couldn't understand the meaning.

A suttle solution would be is to use a chain & lock. I'll try posting the pic of the chain I use. Use a good lock such as Godrej (which again can be broken or axed) to a lamp pole or post; I usually lock both my vehicles with a chain & lock.

But I'll give you a different point to think about. What's the price of your motorcycle? About 1 Lakh odd? What's the price of the security lock? 3K odd? which is just 3%? Which one weighs more to lose? 3% or 100% decide for yourself.
Old 8th December 2010, 16:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
1) TBTS has been around in the market for about 2.5 years. I am wondering if there is any updated/new version of this bike that RE might launch soon.
There are plans for RE Thunderbird 500cc but that will take time. Not coming out so soon.

Quote:
2) I've owned and ridden a standard 350 before and i'm aware what kind of care that beast requires. Is it the same case with the TBTS? I ask because my average daily drive will be in the range of 50-100 kms. So i'd prefer if the bike breaks down less frequently.
The new UCE engines are almost maintenance free. I have 2002 Thunderbird and my daily running is around 40kms. The bike has never left me standing embarassed in the middle of road (touchwood) .

Quote:
3) Considering it will be winter season in it's full glory during January, should i expect a lot of starting problems, especially early in the morning?
Well here in vadodara its not that cold as in Delhi. Just remember to use Electric start in the morning to avoid the sprag clutch problem. Rest all is fine.

Quote:
The chain lock is the best and easiest option i think
Old 8th December 2010, 16:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Over the top? I couldn't understand the meaning.

But I'll give you a different point to think about. What's the price of your motorcycle? About 1 Lakh odd? What's the price of the security lock? 3K odd? which is just 3%? Which one weighs more to lose? 3% or 100% decide for yourself.
Nah. I wasen't talking about 3k odd. What i meant was if even a stray cat or dog passing by and touching the bike can activate the alarm, it will give me sleepless nights, not to mention cursing from neighbors. I meant a suttle approach from that aspect.

Anyways, it seems the suttle approach cannot be anything better than a chain and a lock. Awaiting your pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
There are plans for RE Thunderbird 500cc but that will take time. Not coming out so soon.
I heard similar rumors and upon asking from some sources, i was told it will not be before late 2011 that tb 500 might be launched.

Waiting for that long, without any assurity of the launch, seems like a bad choice from where i stand right now.

Last edited by racingmachine : 8th December 2010 at 16:47.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I heard similar rumors and upon asking from some sources, i was told it will not be before late 2011 that tb 500 might be launched.

Waiting for that long, without any assurity of the launch, seems like a bad choice from where i stand right now.
Why don't you go for the CL350?
Old 8th December 2010, 19:21   #9
BHPian

@racingmachine, Welcome to the RE world. With respect to UCE engine, they are very less prone to some small niggles and starting problem as in CI engine. It will surely server your purpose of a daily niggle free ride. Good Luck for your booking and ownership.

@Ricky, Choosing CL350 or TBTS is again the passion one have on the classic and modern. And moreover CL350 booking period is more than 6 months in most of the cities.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
He has to ride 50 to 100km daily. Since the engines of both CL350 and TBTS are same, So TBTS with better seating ergonomics is more suitable for long rides without butt pain.

regards

san
Old 8th December 2010, 22:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
He has to ride 50 to 100km daily. Since the engines of both CL350 and TBTS are same, So TBTS with better seating ergonomics is more suitable for long rides without butt pain.
Exactly. I had also taken a test ride of cl500. Though i loved the power surge and initial pickup of cl500, and general maneuverability of it, i also had to sit in upright position which made me instantly decide it is not the one for me considering my daily travelling kms.

Plus, i am a little laid back and would love to enjoy the ride as much as i can while cruising along in the tb. I mean if i have to travel, why not enjoy the kms while im at it. This is one experience i am really looking forward to.

Since there is still some time for my purchase, please advise me the riding gear, viz a viz, what kind of helmet, gloves, and any other accessory i might need. Which brand of above accessories should i prefer while selecting. Maybe i can purchase the above stuff beforehand so that i am completely prepared ahead of time. Please also advise what other accessory i can purchase to prevent myself from cold weather riding.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. I had also taken a test ride of cl500. Though i loved the power surge and initial pickup of cl500, and general maneuverability of it, i also had to sit in upright position which made me instantly decide it is not the one for me considering my daily travelling kms.

Plus, i am a little laid back and would love to enjoy the ride as much as i can while cruising along in the tb. I mean if i have to travel, why not enjoy the kms while im at it. This is one experience i am really looking forward to.

Since there is still some time for my purchase, please advise me the riding gear, viz a viz, what kind of helmet, gloves, and any other accessory i might need. Which brand of above accessories should i prefer while selecting. Maybe i can purchase the above stuff beforehand so that i am completely prepared ahead of time. Please also advise what other accessory i can purchase to prevent myself from cold weather riding.
with you. Even i am thinking of changing my handle bar to the new TBTS handle. It is bigger, more comfortable and has balance weights.
Old 10th December 2010, 20:04   #13
BHPian

A doubt here guys:

If i purchase the bike in this month itself, will it make any difference while reselling the bike later on, than when i purchase it in jan 2011? Some say there will be a considerable amount of difference.??

Secondly, if i purchase the bike in early jan 2011, will the month and year of manufacturing read as 2010 on the RC? I am assuming there are separate columns on the RC where date of purchase and date of manufacturing are mentioned(like for ex: date of manufacturing- /2010; date of purchase-07/01/2011). Also, could this affect the resale value of the bike later on?

Please advise guys. It may not be necessary that i will sell the bike, but i need to be prepared in case such a situation arises. Also, when would you suggest to make the purchase(jan manufactured bikes may not be available until late jan 2011)?

Thanks.
Old 10th December 2010, 21:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
Wonder how I missed this thread. First off, congrats on your decision.

1.) The TBTS 500 will be launched only in the later half of 2011

2.) It does not require much care. If you treat it well, it will do the same. One must be very careful with the running in and servicing. Being an ex-Bulleteer, I am sure you will be up to the task.

3.) No. It just needs a tuning once in a while. Runs like a dream once you warm it up a bit.

4.) I can not stress enough on how important this can be. A good run-in is all you need for a niggle-free Bull. The Delhi winters are the perfect time for the run-in process

5.) I ride my Bull a 100kms every day. I just wear a jacket (shirt and vest below it). That is more than enough as of now. Gloves would be mandatory.

6.) You can try Ess Aar Motors in Jhandewalan. He is one of the better dealers in town. However, his mechanics did not catch my fancy. They are just too callous with the machine. I would recommend you do most of the work yourself, as it saves you the heartbreak from watching your Bull get screwed at the hands of an idiot. The Rohini dealer seems to have a good head mech. I will be getting my next major service done by him.

7.) Wheel locks are an easy solution. Where exactly do you put up? You might want to pick up a good cover for the Bull.

As for your last query... I picked up my Bull in Dec 2009. I don't regret it one bit. Bullets aren't bought with the thought of resale.
In any case, for a buyer with a good eye, the condition of the bike would be more important than the registration year.

Jan manufactured bikes will be available around March. I think there is a 2 month lag.

In the meanwhile, you can pick up a riding jacket and a good helmet.

If you want to discuss something, me and BIG_SARAN will be meeting up soon, you can join us for the ride and we can discuss Bulls over a hot cup of tea.

Cheers
Old 11th December 2010, 07:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

1.) The TBTS 500 will be launched only in the later half of 2011
This is great news!! Is it certain that it will be launched later this year?

I have been in a dilemma and unable to decide between RE Classic and RE TBTS for a while. I always liked the modern look of TBTS, but wanted a 500 CC option and hence was more inclined towards CL 500. I used to wonder why the folks at RE have not yet come up with a 500 CC TBTS. Good to know that it is in pipeline.

BTW, is there any RE owner from Coimbatore? I am looking for any reviews and personal experiences with the RE dealer in Coimbatore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks