Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 01:46   #1
BHPian

Kinetic Nova Starting Problem in morning, please help

Hi BHPians,

I recently purchased a used kinetic nova 115CC for local usage, but since day one its giving me starting issues in morning and behaving strange. I suspected to be a battery problem, replaced with Amaron Bike Rider, but problem still persist. below are some of my analysis how this issue occurs:

1. Self Start doesn't start the engine after 8-10hrs of idle, but does start engine if turned off ~4-5hrs.

2. Kick start doesnt start engine in morning in one attempt, Have to kick atleast 8-9 times and also use choke.

3. Idling set to max due to this issue, but still has not resolved the problem.

4. New battery didn't solve the problem. Along with battery replacement, fuse/relay was also changed.

5. Battery mechanic says the charging should be 14.2, but its showing 13.5, when i checked with my mechanic, he says its fine.

6. Horn, indicators all work fine, except starting.

Please tell me how this issue can be fixed, i am tired of kick starting several times in morning.
Old 16th December 2010, 02:12   #2
BHPian

Re: Kinetic Nova Starting Problem in morning, please help

That's quite normally, cold starting trouble. Happens with my sister's Kinetic Nova as well. You just need to kick start it with NO THROTTLE and warm it up OR
try self-starting it with brakes applied and NO THROTTLE and it would start, then, just wring the throttle for a minute to warm it up.

Mechanics might take you for a ride for such a small problem.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 16th December 2010 at 02:13.
Old 16th December 2010, 02:16   #3
BHPian

@abhipuru16, are you sure this is normal ?
If so, i wonder how kinetic sold its product in market.
If this is not normal and there is a way to fix, experts please post your advise.
Old 16th December 2010, 02:40   #4
BHPian

It happens with Honda Activa as well. Atleast with the one I know of.

Just make sure whenever, whichever, whatever way you try to start your scooter, do not give any throttle input.

While self-starting, just use brakes but no throttle.
I am telling you from my experience, I do not have a technical reason behind it.

Good luck and try it first thing in the morning today and report back here.

And yes, after a little bit of riding after you successfully start it, do you then face any problems while self-starting, that is, after your scooter warms up after a ride?
I bet NO.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 16th December 2010 at 02:46.
Old 16th December 2010, 03:04   #5
BHPian

@abhipuru16, thanks for your reply.

I usually give throttle when kick starting and self start, i will try avoiding in the morning and check.

my cousin's Dio had same problem, after service they changed some part and it got fixed, i feel the same with my nova too, but not sure.

When engine warms up, there is no starting issues, even after 4-5hrs of idle this issue doesnt exist, only happens in morning that 8-9hrs of idle.
Old 16th December 2010, 11:51   #6
BHPian

Hi,

I have a different opinion here. I too have Kinetic Nova ( 2002 ). I do not have any starting problem in the morning ( even when current ambient temperature in morning 5:45AM is around 10 Deg C ).

If possible, please check the voltage of the battery in the morning. I feel that the battery is getting drained due to electrical issues somewhere and does not have enough juice to power self starter motor.

As for the kick starting, there is a knack in which you do it for possible start in 2-4 kicks.

Please ask the A** to recheck the electrical connections.

takecare and drive safely
Old 16th December 2010, 22:37   #7
BHPian

@rkavthekar, I feel the same, battery must be draining somehow slowly...
because, when i switch ON the key and leave for sometime, self start doesnt work, I have given today for servicing, lets find out if local mech can solve this issue.
Old 17th December 2010, 12:35   #8
BHPian

Hey Johnruben, get the wiring checked and the carburetor cleaned. It should solve the problem.
Also as abhi directed, don't apply throttle while kicking. Always kick the first time in the morning.

Last edited by indianvirus : 17th December 2010 at 12:36.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:18   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys, today went to mechanic to get my vehicle back, he told some condenser is missing which is used in self start, dont know what he means, since it was a holiday today he couldnt get this part, he will fix this and give me a call tomorrow. Hope this resolves my issue.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:32   #10
BANNED

As long as I remember, This has been the most recognizable feature of Kinetic scooters since the first product was launched. I remember feeling disturbed by hearing incessant attempts to start it from the window since well "time immemorial".

The most common contributor to this was adulterated fuel. The "KaiHo" as it is called is very susceptible to poor fuel kawaality.

Other owners may have more useful tips.

Cheers
Old 29th December 2010, 23:55   #11
BHPian

Update: After 8days, mechanic gave me my vehicle with 2.7k bill, i was like shocked!!!

His simple reason was he was not getting Rectifier and he had to search for a week, he had changed clutch, removed fork bend and many things and gave me that bill. After I took delivery, next day vehicle refused to start even after 100kicks, when i called him, he was out of station, he came back today only.... he came in the morning and found out the cable which connects to spark plug was loose, he fixed it and it started fine, now everything looks ok and its starting normal.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:39   #12
BHPian

Guys I am facing a problem with my Nova. For months it had been lying unused and its battery is completely dead. 10 days back I starred it for the first time in 8 months. It started after 10 to 15 kicks.
Since then, I did not use it.
Today, it is refusing to start even after 50 to 60 kicks.
I'll get the battery charged tomorrow.
However, I want to know, could I have in any way damaged the starter by kicking it so many times?
Old 5th October 2011, 10:14   #13
BHPian

@johnruben: Don't get shocked. The bigger sibling of Nova that i had too ran into such issues. Had the wiring changed the first time i had this issue (with a similar bill), second time i changed the battery. As a practice i did the first start of the day with Kick (and NO THROTTLE but with CHOKE) and the scooter used to come up in 3-4 kicks. Rest of the day i would only use self.

No wonder after being taken for ride by the mechanic couple of times i sold mine for a rather low amount. I must say that as long Kinetic was alive i never had any issue with my scooter since i used to be very regular with the servicing.

@abhipuru16: I don't think starter would have damaged. Just charge the battery and it will be good.

Last edited by shubhamAT : 5th October 2011 at 10:17. Reason: Reply to abhipuru16
Old 5th October 2011, 11:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Update: After 8days, mechanic gave me my vehicle with 2.7k bill, i was like shocked!!!

His simple reason was he was not getting Rectifier and he had to search for a week, he had changed clutch, removed fork bend and many things and gave me that bill. After I took delivery, next day vehicle refused to start even after 100kicks, when i called him, he was out of station, he came back today only.... he came in the morning and found out the cable which connects to spark plug was loose, he fixed it and it started fine, now everything looks ok and its starting normal.
John, Just check that the headlight is not in on-position during the morning, Also, as Indian Virus mentioned start your vehicle with a strong backward kick. My wego also had a similar problem in the morning hours. It worked.
Old 16th October 2011, 10:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
For months it had been lying unused and its battery is completely dead. 10 days back I starred it for the first time in 8 months. It started after 10 to 15 kicks.
Since then, I did not use it.
Today, it is refusing to start even after 50 to 60 kicks.
I'll get the battery charged tomorrow.
However, I want to know, could I have in any way damaged the starter by kicking it so many times?
Kicks don't damage the starter ; so long as the kick starter does not slip it is fine.

Replace the old petrol with fresh brew and you'll be fine ; and get the batt changed only if you're going to use the vehicle regularly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks