Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Apache Hyper Edge

How much is the Hyper edge going to cost more than the usual RTR 160.

Also whats the cost of the Apache 180 with ABS? I could not find the pricing on the TVS website.
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How much is the Hyper edge going to cost more than the usual RTR 160.

Also whats the cost of the Apache 180 with ABS? I could not find the pricing on the TVS website.
The TVS website doesn't have pricing for any Apache RTR variant at all.

From what I've understood, the Hyper Edge is the usual RTR 160 at it's core, i.e the carb version. It costs Rs.71,300/- OTR in Pune [Rs.1000 extra for Yellow colour, Rs.2000 extra if you opt for the rear disc brake too]. The Apache 180 Non-ABS almost touches Rs.80k OTR. No idea about the ABS version.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 22nd July 2011 at 10:38.
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I found it surprising that even a person of medium height like me [5'9''] was uncomfortable with the seating position; wonder how 6 feet plus guys ride this beast!
So they have not been able to sort out the vibes even with the supposedly beefed up chassis. Pity that its such a let down.

I am a 6 footer and got adjusted to the riding position of the RTR pretty soon. In fact it took me nearly 2000kms on my FZ to get used to the relaxed riding position and to find the right posture.

Are you not considering the FZ in your list. Has a very relaxed posture and refined engine. Give it a try and see if you are comfy with it.
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Are you not considering the FZ in your list. Has a very relaxed posture and refined engine. Give it a try and see if you are comfy with it.
Umm, this might seem sacrilegeous, but I don't like the looks of the FZ. Instead of that, I'd considered the SZ-R and found it quite decent, but was put off by the couldn't care less attitude of the dealer near my residence.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Umm, this might seem sacrilegeous, but I don't like the looks of the FZ.
Well, to each his own so nothing is sacrilegious. And if the service center/showroom attitude is not good then its not worth being their customer.
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Umm, this might seem sacrilegeous, but I don't like the looks of the FZ. Instead of that, I'd considered the SZ-R and found it quite decent, but was put off by the couldn't care less attitude of the dealer near my residence.

Cheers,
Vikram
True, though I own(or truly speaking, married to my baby gixxer(GS150R)) I personally will not advice you to go for it, atleast for now. I am extremely happy with here, no troubles what so ever, good and very polite service, well trained. But there is a newer version on the cards, and as such the bike is heavy for someone who is upgrading from a splendor. But then for around 70K OTR, what you get in the current version is simply, outdated i.e. digi speedo(the best speedo console!the only consolation), front disks(230mm), rear drums(honda unicorn dazzler has rear disks), tube tyres. If not for the newer version, which is speculated to be released with better stickering and a newer RR unit, I would have adviced you the GS.

Quote:
Well, to each his own so nothing is sacrilegious. And if the service center/showroom attitude is not good then its not worth being their customer.
Rightly said abhinav. Honda, do show a lot of attitude, when visiting their showroom but still their bikes sell like hot cakes! and FZ is a true Yamaha! just give a try with some other showroom.

If you are going for SZ, go for SZ-R, the one with disks, otherwise the SZ has very low output, as its tuned for mileage.

Why dont you check out the all new Hunk/Unicorn dazzler?
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Why dont you check out the all new Hunk/Unicorn dazzler?
No Dazzler! To me, it just seems like a typical "Wannabe" bike [no offense to any owners on the forum].

The Hunk is a good option, but I when I rode the one that my neighbour has, for some reason i found it quite unwieldy in traffic. Maybe it was a combination of being bulky + heavy. However, the funny thing is, I didn't get that feeling when I'd TDed a colleague's CBZ Extreme a couple of months back, even though it is heavier than the Hunk.

Do you have any inside info as to when the new GS150 is expected?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Dazzler! To me, it just seems like a typical "Wannabe" bike [no offense to any owners on the forum].

The Hunk is a good option, but I when I rode the one that my neighbour has, for some reason i found it quite unwieldy in traffic. Maybe it was a combination of being bulky + heavy. However, the funny thing is, I didn't get that feeling when I'd TDed a colleague's CBZ Extreme a couple of months back, even though it is heavier than the Hunk.

Do you have any inside info as to when the new GS150 is expected?

Cheers,
Vikram
When I visited my dealer for servicing(5 months back) he informed that the new GS is expected in June 2011. I dont think they have done it. But got the info from other forum that they have now stopped selling/booking GS150r and the dealers say that a new bike is on the way. Only suzuki knows when!
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 13:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So they have not been able to sort out the vibes even with the supposedly beefed up chassis. Pity that its such a let down.

I am a 6 footer and got adjusted to the riding position of the RTR pretty soon.
Update about another TD of the RTR 160 Hyper Edge that I took yesterday.

During my previous TD, I'd checked the vibes only when the bike was at a standstill. That is, by raising the throttle till 3.5k - 4.5k rpm when the bike was in neutral gear. However, one thing that I observed in yesterday's TD was that at the same rpms, the vibes were not so prominent when I was actually driving the bike. Any idea why this should be so?

Whatever the reason, this has just confirmed by belief that the vibes won't be as much of a deal breaker as people make them out to be.

About the seating position, the sales person also told me the same thing, i.e. it's just a matter of a few hundred kms before I get used to it. He himself hasn't come across any complaint/feedback from any customer about the seating position being a problem once he has rode the bike for a few weeks.

I'd taken my wife along for the TD too to see how the bike handles with a pillion; but an unwelcome side effect of that was now she's sold on the Wego, and wants me to keep the Splendor and buy the Wego instead.

Negotiations are in progress!

EDIT: Slightly OT: For whatever reasons, should I wait till the rains are over before buying a new bike?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th July 2011 at 13:42.
Old 24th July 2011, 13:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Update about another TD of the RTR 160 Hyper Edge that I took yesterday.

During my previous TD, I'd checked the vibes only when the bike was at a standstill. That is, by raising the throttle till 3.5k - 4.5k rpm when the bike was in neutral gear. However, one thing that I observed in yesterday's TD was that at the same rpms, the vibes were not so prominent when I was actually driving the bike. Any idea why this should be so?

Whatever the reason, this has just confirmed by belief that the vibes won't be as much of a deal breaker as people make them out to be.

About the seating position, the sales person also told me the same thing, i.e. it's just a matter of a few hundred kms before I get used to it. He himself hasn't come across any complaint/feedback from any customer about the seating position being a problem once he has rode the bike for a few weeks.

I'd taken my wife along for the TD too to see how the bike handles with a pillion; but an unwelcome side effect of that was now she's sold on the Wego, and wants me to keep the Splendor and buy the Wego instead.

Negotiations are in progress!

EDIT: Slightly OT: FOr whatever reasons, should I wait till the rains are over before buying a new bike?

Cheers,
Vikram

Apache RTR is an Awesome bike, but again the Wego is an awesome scooter im also sold to my Wego, just loving every km on her. Do one thing go for both. And rains should not be problem as Apache RTR has hardly any steel parts and again next year rains are going to come. And Pune rains are not harsh as compare to Mumbai rains and Humidity, i brought my Wego on 3rd July 2011.

So if you liked the bike go for it one the Best in the price range.

Last edited by parimal_g : 24th July 2011 at 13:49. Reason: Spell Check
Old 25th July 2011, 12:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... but an unwelcome side effect of that was now she's sold on the Wego, and wants me to keep the Splendor and buy the Wego instead.

EDIT: Slightly OT: For whatever reasons, should I wait till the rains are over before buying a new bike?
Glad to know that the vibes are not a deal breaker. Barring the vibes, its a very potent bike.

Negotiate hard and try to get both as a compromise

And regarding rains, as Parimal said, it should not be a bother since the paint quality is quite good on the RTR and should not pose any problems.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Negotiate hard and try to get both as a compromise
Hello Folks,

First, let me apologise for the very delayed update.

I had to postpone the Apache purchase for a variety of reasons, main one being lack of vitamin M, due to my extreme reluctance to go in for another auto loan [already have one for my Scorpio].

So, after much deliberation, I bought the Wego on July 28. I got quite a good price from the TVS dealer for my 11 year old Splendor with 65k kms on the odo and had to shell out approx Rs.34k from my pocket.

My initial impressions about the Wego are quite good, except the abysmally low mileage [only 35-38 kmpl]. The 1st service is done; I am also following the running in guidelines religiously. So, I hope it'll go up as the kms start increasing.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 15th September 2011, 18:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had to postpone the Apache purchase for a variety of reasons......
Don't worry mate. There is always a next time.

Quote:
So, after much deliberation, I bought the Wego on July 28.
Congrats on the new scoot. It is a very potent scoot and as per the owner reports, it rides to similar to bikes and offers good control.

Quote:
My initial impressions about the Wego are quite good, except the abysmally low mileage [only 35-38 kmpl].
Mileage is solely dependent on the traffic condition and the way you ride. Since you are following the running in, it should go up. In Bangalore few colleagues are getting the same mileage in b2b traffic, while another gets around 40+ in relatively less traffic.
At the same time if you visit the gearless scooters thread, you will see members extracting 47-48kmpl as well.
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Since the thread is titled 'TVS Apache Hyper Edge', I will use this thread to ask a few queries on the Apache RTR. Sold by the looks of the white and yellow Apaches, I have been hovering around the thoughts of replacing my old Hero Honda Splendor in the near or distant future. I am interested only in the 160 models due to a) the extra 5-8-10 kmpl in FE b) the few thousands of rupees over the 180 c) my ride is limited to more in the city and occasional highway.

I am actually confused with the Apache models TVS makes at present, especially of the 160s. The Apache link on the TVS site displays only the RTR 180. Though, the products drop-down on the TVS site shows the RTR FI 160 and 160 Hyper Edge under 'Domestic Range' and RTR 160 and 160 (or is it a 150 actually?) under the 'International Range'.

- In reality, how many models are presently available in the sub-180 range of Apache?
- Which all models use a carburetor?
- Will a carb model or a FI model return better FE in more of stop-and-go city riding? A year back, some magazine reported that the FI model will return more FE than the carb one. Is it true? Various reports in our forum go either way. I would definitely like to stick with the carb one, except for the FE, if any.
- The site do not show a yellow/white color for the 160 models. Is the yellow/white color available only with the 180s?
- Have the old ECU and injector issues on the old FI been corrected now, which was the reason for it being discontinued for some time, I guess?
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Answers inline in bold. The difference in FE between the 160 and 180 will be in tune of around 5kmpl max so please dont expect 10kmpl difference in FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
- In reality, how many models are presently available in the sub-180 range of Apache?
Apache RTR160 Hyper Edge is the only model available

- Which all models use a carburetor?
Only carb models are currently available

- Will a carb model or a FI model return better FE in more of stop-and-go city riding?
FI model used to return superior FE when it was in production

- The site do not show a yellow/white color for the 160 models. Is the yellow/white color available only with the 180s?
Yellow is available on the 160 and 180 both. White is available only in the 180

- Have the old ECU and injector issues on the old FI been corrected now, which was the reason for it being discontinued for some time, I guess?
The model stays discontinued AFAIK
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks