Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 12:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

TVS Apache Hyper Edge

Well, TVS has unleashed a new variant of its beast, TVS Apache RTR 160 HyperEdge.

Features of TVS Apache RTR 160 Refresh - Style, Technology, Technical Specifications and 360 View
Quote:
So, the RTR 160 has been refreshed. It comes with new clothes to further reinforce its racing pedigree. The bike is definitely better looking with its makeover and it actually stands out and grabs your attention. Most new bikes or upgraded bikes are the old bikes with new stickers. Of course, on paper you see a slight difference in numbers with respect to the engine, but nothing which you can actually really make out. At the end of the day, it is basically new stickers. It’s the same story with the Hyper Edge, but my God! Does it make an impact! This is easily one of the best looking bikes on Indian Roads, this side of 200cc.

Courtesy: Bike advice
Well, I did see this bike for myself in chennai. My thoughts on it. Yes its indeed a hot looking bike. But then when I went through the specs, found nothing so special in the engine or in terms of power delivery. just another cosmetic upgrade. Hey, its more green too. Its supposedly the first BS 4 compliant bike so good looking vegetarian!

Photo courtesy: xbhp, google(hope its permitted here!)

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd December 2010 at 02:44. Reason: Fixed quotes + read the note in your post, thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Apache Hyper Edge

good find and yet another attempt but a good effort from tvs, this one is atleast is a little different from the traditional sticker jobs, for once they did something to the engine too (BS-IV).

it would be so nice of them if they came in this time with a liquid cooled version of the RTR160 Fi boy it would really rock out there.
Old 23rd December 2010, 02:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah looks more like a cosmetic upgrade than anything substantial.

Also looks like they have shifted their premium color for the 160 from Yellow to Black.
Old 23rd December 2010, 06:55   #4
BHPian

I saw one hyperedge - matt grey. really cool and damn hot. RTR has always been a forerunner in bringing in some interesting style details - split grabs, handles, rim stickers, white, yellow, matt grey, deep orange and much more.

I think Hyperedge decals are inspired from gaming space. Hmm- but its high time we get some hypermotor bikes from them !!
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The hyperedge is not a mere sticker job. Ride the bike and identify the differences yourselves.

For starters the bike is having a lot lesser NVH levels than the outgoing RTR refresh. Internal components in the engine have been engineered better. Just check the part numbers - most of them have changed.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The hyperedge is not a mere sticker job. Ride the bike and identify the differences yourselves.

For starters the bike is having a lot lesser NVH levels than the outgoing RTR refresh. Internal components in the engine have been engineered better. Just check the part numbers - most of them have changed.
this is news to me, now i am off to the show room, for a test ride, thanks for the info buddy.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
good find and yet another attempt but a good effort from tvs, this one is atleast is a little different from the traditional sticker jobs, for once they did something to the engine too (BS-IV).

it would be so nice of them if they came in this time with a liquid cooled version of the RTR160 Fi boy it would really rock out there.

Hope the power/torque didnt go down coz of BSIV spec.

Why not a liquid cooled 180 then
If they price the CBR250, my $ goes for the 180.
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Though the chassis has been beefed up to bring down the NVH but nothing significant. I went in for a test drive with ramkay. There is not much of difference between the old and the hyperedge, the same old painful sitting posture(atleast for me!! a 6 footer), ultra-light bike(i ride a GS150 heavy!! 150kgs), NVH for me hasn't changed much for, since i ride one of the smoothest bike in the market.
but i like that racing stripes!!! simply superb. The first time when i saw it, i thought it was some 200 macho machine but no the same old 160 mill not even a cooled 180!! tvs
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
There is not much of difference between the old and the hyperedge, the same old painful sitting posture(atleast for me!! a 6 footer), ultra-light bike(i ride a GS150 heavy!! 150kgs),
Different perspective for different needs.

The sitting posture is not painful/cramped for 6 footers since I am also one and find it very comfortable. You have to get used to it over a few 100 kms.

Ultra-light? Well the stock RTR is I guess 136kgs which is only 14kgs lighter than the GS150. So ideally it should be a nimble vehicle for city use and for moving it in and out of cramped parking spaces.

If you are used to one kind of a bike/sitting posture, it takes time to get adjusted to the new set up of a different bike over a short duration.
When my bike was in for upgrades, i was using my wife's dio. After a week of using the Dio, it took me about 10kms on the RTR to get adjusted to the sitting posture. But after that it was totally fine.
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its weights 136kgs, just 14kg lesser! And guess thats one thing that makes it a better bike
Old 24th December 2010, 11:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Different perspective for different needs.

The sitting posture is not painful/cramped for 6 footers since I am also one and find it very comfortable. You have to get used to it over a few 100 kms.

Ultra-light? Well the stock RTR is I guess 136kgs which is only 14kgs lighter than the GS150. So ideally it should be a nimble vehicle for city use and for moving it in and out of cramped parking spaces.

If you are used to one kind of a bike/sitting posture, it takes time to get adjusted to the new set up of a different bike over a short duration.
When my bike was in for upgrades, i was using my wife's dio. After a week of using the Dio, it took me about 10kms on the RTR to get adjusted to the sitting posture. But after that it was totally fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Its weights 136kgs, just 14kg lesser! And guess thats one thing that makes it a better bike
Well, I never underestimated the performance/quality of the bike. Well, for me, not now, I used an Apache Gen-I for quite sometime, but felt its good for a short drag and not for a long comfortable ride. Its more sporty than a commuter/cruiser comfort that I am enjoying right now.
And 14Kgs does makes huge difference mate!!
Old 24th December 2010, 12:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

So one question to the Apache lovers and owners here, can you guys explain me about the TPS/fuel mapping. I hope this is not "Off topic". Just wanted to know what changes have been done in the hyperedge version from its predecessor. The system I know is from my Baby gixxer, is that its got Digital CDI ignition and dual throttle cables with throttle position system similar to the one we have already seen in the old fiero "Di-Fi logic".

Is apache sporting the same system or is it any different? Also does the FI version sport a bank angle sensor to cut off fuel supply in case of a crash? Upon googling I found contradictary answers, so thought of asking the users directly!
Old 21st July 2011, 15:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am looking at the Apache RTR 160 as a replacement for my decade plus old Splendor, but am confused about choosing between the FI and Hyper Edge [carb] versions.

Info/advice about the pros & cons, maintenance, niggles/irritants, ease of servicing/troubleshooting and availability of spares for both versions would be a great help in deciding which one to buy. Also, if I do choose the HE version, should I opt for/against rear disc brakes? My driving style is usually sedate, unless the roads are almost empty.

If any Apache RTR 160 owners from Pune are reading this, could you please share which dealer did you buy the bike from, on road price, delivery period, freebies if any etc?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 21st July 2011, 15:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
...Info/advice about the pros & cons, maintenance, niggles/irritants, ease of servicing/troubleshooting and availability of spares for both versions would be a great help in deciding which one to buy. Also, if I do choose the HE version, should I opt for/against rear disc brakes? My driving style is usually sedate, unless the roads are almost empty.
Pros:
Nimble to ride in traffic
Light and easy to handle
Good power and power to weight ratio
Best acceleration in class and can win many a traffic light GP's

Cons:
Vibration in the foot pegs and handle bars in the 4k-6k rpm range which will ideally be most used in the city. Not sure of the hyper edge version but the older version was plagued by this. If you are either above or below this range then you will not notice the vibes.

Mileage will be a little lower than the other 150's barring the FZ which is the champion of low mileage

Seating posture not to everyone's liking. But most people get used to it after they ride for a few 100 kms. I got used to it within a few kms and found it very comfortable.

Coming to your question about ease of servicing, the carb version will be the easier of the 2 to service anywhere and even be attended by a roadside mech in case of emergency. But FI with an upgraded unit supposedly rides the best and also returns great fuel efficiency. Base your decision for FI based on the capability of the service center near your area. Not every TVS service center is trained on servicing the FI bikes.

Rear disks are good to have but if you dont feel the need for one, the rear drums should do the job. In fact RTR has one of the biggest front brakes and fronts do 70% of the job mostly. So take a call.

You can also look at the RTR180 if its in your budget!

All the best!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, Abhinav.

I took a short test ride of the Apache RTR 160 yesterday evening. As per the sales person, production of the FI variant has been stopped. So, I got the Hyper Edge to TD. Loved the peppy engine and the maneuverability in traffic. The front disk plus rear drum brake combo was also more than enough for my driving style. My only grouses were the seating position and the vibes [yes, they are still there] at mid-high rpms.

I can live with the vibrations, 'cause like you said, city driving won't give much of a chance to touch those rpms frequently. However, my drive to and from office is of almost 50 kms, at least twice a week [I use the bus on other days]; so not very sure if I'll be able to adjust to the seating position of the Apache RTR. I found it surprising that even a person of medium height like me [5'9''] was uncomfortable with the seating position; wonder how 6 feet plus guys ride this beast!

So, the Unicorn is out due to the 6 month waiting period, GS150 is out cause they still aren't sure when the new refreshed model is being introduced, Apache RTR is 50-50. Will see what the CBZ Xtreme test ride throws up.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 22nd July 2011 at 10:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks