Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 00:59   #1
BHPian

Hard gear shifts in RTR

Hello fellow bikers!

Here is a 'strange' problem which I'm facing on my RTR 160 Refresh. I've clocked close to 6k kms as of today and I've already been forced to change my clutch plates!!! My bike has the same issue as Endofdayz which he had mentioned in the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...orted-out.html

I've bought my bike at Bridgestone and since the quality is dropping at an alarming rate, I decided to take my bike to Tristar TVS as suggested by my cousin. The supervisor, Mr. Yadav took my bike for a spin and immediately identified the problem, without even me telling what and where the exact issue was. He suggested taking a look at the clutch plates and found to be worn out(I still don't know if that's how real worn out clutch plates look like. Will be posting some pics when I can copy them off the camera).

The clutch plates and the pressure plates were changed. Only the pressure plate was changed under warranty and I forked out a whopping ~950 bucks including labor(excluding new oil which was a separate buy) for the plates!! Even after this, I've this annoying issue of the gears changing VERY hard when I downshift(higher to lower gears). Sometimes, it simply disappears!!

Dashed off a mail to TVS and I was assured that the company guys would turn up for inspection the next week. I go there and wait for 1 hour, they don't show up. Grrrr...... Waste of time, energy and fuel. I wait it out for one more week and see if the problem resolves itself considering the 'run-in', but nope. It simply won't go! The shifting is like a double click on a mouse. For each gear, you can easily make out two clicks and a hard one at that.

I've had a run on numerous RTRs and heard a LOT of cock and bull stories. From bad linkages from the shifter to the gear box, bad riding style(very conscious about riding style now), all RTRs are the same.

This has become very annoying. Can someone please tell me what could be the problem and how I can get this fixed?

Last edited by rdna : 27th December 2010 at 01:02.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hard gear shifts in RTR

Changing the clutch plates for the gear shifting mechanism. I'm sort of shocked. Ask them to replace the shifter and the shifter spring which should resolve the issue.

Note: The spring and the shifter needs to be changed.

Do take an outside opinion. If you need help, pm me.
Old 27th December 2010, 12:33   #3
BHPian

I'm at the service center now. Found that the 'plate housing' is defective. The guy who is from the factory who is here is getting that replaced and also the 'hub clutch' The words in quotes since that was what i was told. He has taken my old clutch plates for 'inspection'. Something's fishy!!
Old 27th December 2010, 12:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

A simple remedy which works most of the time. Replace the star index inside the gearbox. A minor component which should cost 60-70 max but the entire clutch assembly would be required to be taken out and put back again.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:01   #5
BHPian

Everything replaced and feels much better now, but still not completely gone!!! I'll let the bike 'run-in' and see how it goes for the next 500-600kms.

@Deeps-I'll have them check that as well in case I face the same issue. Thanks for the advice
Old 4th February 2011, 15:25   #6
BHPian

UPDATE - Deeps, I inquired about the star index and it was found to be not at fault.

Done 1000+ kms on the new parts and guess what, the problem just won't go away!! Now, the up-shifts are hard compared to the down shifts, which was the other way round. Since I'm still waiting for the PG Driven to be replaced. Each time, I have to call to get the status. Here is what I hear yesterday - "The PG Driven is under development and that is the reason it is not in stock" This means that every bike out there is running on a sub-standard component which is likely to fail sooner than we expect.

Even with a repeat request, I still haven't got an acknowledgement from the service center about the work done and the 'agreement'. In the midst of all this, the salt on the wound is, the 2 representatives have never contacted me over email or phone when I have dashed off a mail. TVS surely knows how to frustrate people
Old 4th February 2011, 16:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
"The PG Driven is under development and that is the reason it is not in stock" This means that every bike out there is running on a sub-standard component which is likely to fail sooner than we expect.
Not at all a good sign.
When we met last time, the bike was good with the upshift but the downshift was a little hard.
Hope they develop the part soon and rectify the issue.
Old 5th February 2011, 11:13   #8
BHPian

hi, rdna. I know what the problem you are talking about. it wont be resolved with plates and clutch hub. , will tell you what is to be done or better I will set it up for you perfectly call on 9886992036
Old 18th February 2011, 17:42   #9
BHPian

Took the bike to Fast Bykes which is owned by Mr. Prashanth. One more part was replaced, the thrust bearing. The very first day I rode the bike after the replacement, I was overjoyed since the shifts were perfect! I thought my problems were over. But my joy is short lived. The bike is back to it's form of hard shifts(these hard shifts are much lesser compared to the very first time the parts were changed). Took it back to Fast Bykes, but the mechanic said it is normal. I'm simply tired of hearing that phrase.

The PG driven seems to have arrived. Should I really go for a change?? What if the problem still exists?? I'm ready to take TVS to the consumer court if this doesn't work out. Before all this, do you guys think that there should be an inspection or adjust something? I don't know if all this "hardness" is in my head If any RTR owners is ready to try my bike, I'll be glad to give it a shot. Only after trying different RTRs have I been posting it here. The shifts have been damn smooth!
Old 18th February 2011, 21:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If any RTR owners is ready to try my bike, I'll be glad to give it a shot. Only after trying different RTRs have I been posting it here. The shifts have been damn smooth!
Hey dude! Damn smooth???

Get the PG driven changed as well. Don't even think twice about it. As it was recommended by TVS themselves so they will be responsible in case this does not work (Fingers crossed - let this work).

All the best buddy!!

OT: Which area is Fast Bykes located in?

Last edited by abhinav.s : 18th February 2011 at 21:18.
Old 18th February 2011, 23:59   #11
BHPian

Hey Abhinav! The RTRs till now which I have tried have been the 180s and yours is the only 160. All of them had smooth gear shifts. I had got a call from TVS telling me that the part might reach in the evening(on Tue) after that, there has been no communication. Shucks! Fast Bykes is in Mattikere. This bike is sure taking me places!
Old 19th February 2011, 06:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Took the bike to Fast Bykes which is owned by Mr. Prashanth. One more part was replaced, the thrust bearing. The very first day I rode the bike after the replacement, I was overjoyed since the shifts were perfect! I thought my problems were over. But my joy is short lived. The bike is back to it's form of hard shifts(these hard shifts are much lesser compared to the very first time the parts were changed). Took it back to Fast Bykes, but the mechanic said it is normal. I'm simply tired of hearing that phrase.

The PG driven seems to have arrived. Should I really go for a change?? What if the problem still exists?? I'm ready to take TVS to the consumer court if this doesn't work out. Before all this, do you guys think that there should be an inspection or adjust something? I don't know if all this "hardness" is in my head If any RTR owners is ready to try my bike, I'll be glad to give it a shot. Only after trying different RTRs have I been posting it here. The shifts have been damn smooth!
Even i get the hard shifts ocassionally, but lemme try your bike and see if its anything like mine. Sometimes i get a hard 1-2 shift.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

i am an rtr 180 owner now, and i clocked 4k kms till date and i do have a similar issue but it isnt really annoying, guess i got used to it, but i could live with out the slight hard shifts too.

hey since you say the RTR 180's shifts are a little smoother, why dont you ask around and find out if the parts from 180 go for your refresh rtr160 might be worth a try as a last resort, just a thought though.

i am watching this thread, all the best rdna.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

umm.. I own a '07, June RTR 160, which has clocked nearly 35k kms. Till now, shifts are pretty smooth and positive for me. Nothing has been changed.

I actually, find it fun to downshift at high rpm's. I doubt, if every RTR has this issue. May be a batch produced?.
Old 19th February 2011, 21:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Even i get the hard shifts ocassionally, but lemme try your bike and see if its anything like mine. Sometimes i get a hard 1-2 shift.
Sure! We can plan a meet and a ride soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i am an rtr 180 owner now, and i clocked 4k kms till date and i do have a similar issue but it isnt really annoying, guess i got used to it, but i could live with out the slight hard shifts too.

hey since you say the RTR 180's shifts are a little smoother, why dont you ask around and find out if the parts from 180 go for your refresh rtr160 might be worth a try as a last resort, just a thought though.

i am watching this thread, all the best rdna.
Since almost every part except the PG Driven is left out, I guess it's a bit too late. Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
umm.. I own a '07, June RTR 160, which has clocked nearly 35k kms. Till now, shifts are pretty smooth and positive for me. Nothing has been changed.

I actually, find it fun to downshift at high rpm's. I doubt, if every RTR has this issue. May be a batch produced?.
That's a lot of kms you have covered. Did you switch oil to a particular brand? Has the shift been always smooth for you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks