Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 19:34   #1
BHPian

Used bike for Rs. 10,000?

Guys, what's the best Rs 10k bike? I want a 2 stroke. Its just to play around with and get used to 2 wheelers. I want a Harley Nightrod later (just kidding).
I have no idea how the shocks are, the ride comfort and power, I'd like fast pickup, not so keen about the top speeds.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Amartya : 28th December 2010 at 12:08. Reason: SMSey language
perfectfluke is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th December 2010, 23:31   #2
BHPian

Re: 10k bike?

In the same boat as you, just need a bike to get used to 2 wheelers, after which I can sell it and buy a real bike.

Any advice, I'm willing to stretch upto 20K, as long as I can sell it easily with minimum depreciation after 2-3 months.
Old 28th December 2010, 00:11   #3
BHPian

dont even think other than RX100.i still love that bike more than all these latest ones.pure driving pleasure!!
Old 28th December 2010, 02:07   #4
BHPian

There are these ones available for that price, Samurai, Shaolin, Shogun.. anything of that sort?

I just want to find a thrill in getting a 10k bike and riding it, thanks procircuit, i'll check the RX100..

Last edited by Amartya : 28th December 2010 at 12:14. Reason: Removed reference to a deleted post
Old 28th December 2010, 04:39   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectfluke View Post
There are these ones available for that price, Samurai, Shaolin, Shogun.. anything of that sort?

I just want to find a thrill in getting a 10k bike and riding it, thanks procircuit, i'll check the RX100..
Generally, price range dictates your options as well. If you put a cap on your requirement as 10k, you are limiting yourself.

You already seem to know the 2 strokes bikes available in the market.

10k means you are getting a well used bike, and the condition of the bike will be suspect, unless inspected directly. So I could tell you all I know about a RX100, or Bike X, or Bike Y, but what kind of bike you will end up with for 10k is anyone's guess.

So, I fail to understand your query. If just to generate posts, here you go, you just got another one.

Last edited by Amartya : 28th December 2010 at 12:15. Reason: Had edited the quoted post, needed to get this in sync
Old 28th December 2010, 04:53   #6
BHPian

@Perfectfluke for 10K i doubt if you will get a RX-100. The cost of this bikes have gone up over the years. Since you plan to use them to familiarize yourself more with riding and not for daily use you could probably look for a Samurai, Shogun or any other 2-Stroke bike. You can also look out for a TVS MAX-100. I would strongly suggest you to go only for a 2-Stroke bike, forget about 4-Strokes.
Old 28th December 2010, 05:47   #7
BHPian

Well my girlfriend also wants to learn motorcycling and I am not going to let her learn it on my 23+ bhp bike. Was thinking of getting a used platina, splendor, etc kind. Basicly simple commuter bikes for her to learn. I personally felt that 2 strokes are a little high maintaince.
Old 28th December 2010, 06:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, what's the best Rs 10k bike? I want a 2 stroke. Its just to play around with and get used to 2 wheelers. I want a Harley Nightrod later (just kidding).
I have no idea how the shocks are, the ride comfort and power, I'd like fast pickup, not so keen about the top speeds.
Hi, while your query looks simple its actually not that easy to suggest a bike & I will tell you why.

The commuter bikes like Splendor, cd100, Platina etc retain their resales quite well. The niche or powerful bikes depreciate a lot but then they are priced high so even after a high depreciation they dont sell this low.

So you are typically left with bikes which are either very old with lot of kms on odo which might cost less but may need parts replacements which would either be costly or difficult to find.

An RX100 for example would be cheap only if its in a bad shape or at a place where not many are interested in 2 strokes.

So suggesting you a bike which is within 10k & also has great pickup is going to be a little tough.

Btw you havent mentioned if you have any riding experience at all, do you?

Anyways, here is what I would suggest

Old Bikes - CD100, MAX100, Samurai, Yamaha Fazer (the old one with twin bug like headlamp) other similar Yamaha 4 strokers, P150 classic 2002(tough to find but its possible)

I think the best way would be to keep looking at local papers, checking with mechanics for such a bike(that is in your range) & then post about it here so that people can suggest if you should go for it or not.

So like I said, tell us more about your riding experience & the usage which will help us guide you better.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Amartya : 28th December 2010 at 12:16. Reason: Had edited the quoted post, needed to get this one in sync.
Old 28th December 2010, 07:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I personally felt that 2 strokes are a little high maintaince.
I beg to differ here. Yes a 2 Stroke bike could be high on maintenance if driven around with absolutely no 2T oil .

I own a 94 model Rx-100 with an odo reading of 1.5L KM's and i can say based on my experience with the bike. Its literally maintenance free except for the regular scheduled maintenance.
Old 28th December 2010, 09:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think you should be able to get yourself a decent stock samurai for 10-12K in Kerala. The other option you can think is Shogun and Shaolin, but most of these bikes will be modified\abused.

TVS Supra is another gem of an old 2-stroke, which is very tough to come by. If you come across one which is in decent shape, grab it.

Not great on pickup front, but you can get Bajaj 4s\Caliber for as low as 7K.

Don't look for RX-100, if you are getting one for so low, that bike will have some problems.

If you are willing to look for gear less, you will get old Kinetic Honda in the same price bracket.

Try and see if you can get an old Kinetic Nova 135 - though finding one in good condition is tough, that was one gear less scooter with some good pick up.
Old 28th December 2010, 09:41   #11
BANNED

Re: Used bike for Rs. 10,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
dont even think other than RX100.i still love that bike more than all these latest ones.pure driving pleasure!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
@Perfectfluke for 10K i doubt if you will get a RX-100. The cost of this bikes have gone up over the years. Since you plan to use them to familiarize yourself more with riding and not for daily use you could probably look for a Samurai, Shogun or any other 2-Stroke bike. You can also look out for a TVS MAX-100. I would strongly suggest you to go only for a 2-Stroke bike, forget about 4-Strokes.
My +1 to that. RX100 have a good resale. You'd be better off with a Splendor.
Old 28th December 2010, 16:15   #12
BHPian

I'm not really familiar with bikes, that too with the bikes in the Indian market. I had asked around for a really cheap bike to see what's the cheapest I can find. And the reply I got from bikers here is that I can get shaolin, samurai, shogun for that price. So my question is if I find all these 3 bikes that I mentioned, which one should I choose?

options now.. shaolin, samurai, cd 100, max 100, rx 100, fazer, shogun... I dont mind chipping in to around 30 k or more, but I prefer 10k, thats all.

So based on your suggestions, I can ask people here to look for that specific model.

Technocrat, I can manage to change gears and all, but not very confident to ride it in traffic. Im used to riding the quad bikes - yamaha raptors, yfz etc... I need that 2 wheel balance to swerve between cars and buses.

The main reason I want a dirt cheap bike is because I'm not a big fan of riding bikes, so, I have a feeling that I might not enjoy it much, so goin for a dirt cheap bike wont hurt even if i get bored of it.

But I want to like it, so forcing myself.. look at the nightrod, cmon who wouldn't want to own that. I just want to see how enthusiastic I'd become about bikes.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

From the three Suzuki/TVS bikes I would say go for the Samurai.

Other than that you get a lot of variety in 20k range & even more in under 30k,. You can even get a Pulsar 180 DTSi V1 or a CBZ which are really good bikes to have, they are fast, have good handling, there are enough on roads so no issues with spares.

Even otherwise under 30k you can get a lot of other bikes & the best part is that they wont be as old as the Samurai/Shaolin/Shogun.

So Like I mentioned earlier, check out bikes, if you like a specific bike, get the details, post them here & then people can suggest you if you should buy the bike or not.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not really familiar with bikes, that too with the bikes in the Indian market. I had asked around for a really cheap bike to see what's the cheapest I can find. And the reply I got from bikers here is that I can get shaolin, samurai, shogun for that price. So my question is if I find all these 3 bikes that I mentioned, which one should I choose?

options now.. shaolin, samurai, cd 100, max 100, rx 100, fazer, shogun... I dont mind chipping in to around 30 k or more, but I prefer 10k, thats all.

So based on your suggestions, I can ask people here to look for that specific model.

Technocrat, I can manage to change gears and all, but not very confident to ride it in traffic. Im used to riding the quad bikes - yamaha raptors, yfz etc... I need that 2 wheel balance to swerve between cars and buses.

The main reason I want a dirt cheap bike is because I'm not a big fan of riding bikes, so, I have a feeling that I might not enjoy it much, so goin for a dirt cheap bike wont hurt even if i get bored of it.

But I want to like it, so forcing myself.. look at the nightrod, cmon who wouldn't want to own that. I just want to see how enthusiastic I'd become about bikes.
If you are not a big fan of riding bikes,you should get a ride,that should bring a smile on your face,every time you ride it,so that your interest develops towards motorcycling.
If you start with a bike,that is in deplorable condition,is slow,trust me your passion will fade out,even before it ignites.
So i would suggest,invest a wee bit more,and get a decent bike,if you are not comfortable with the idea of riding,you can sell it off.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:57   #15
BHPian

Akshay, I'd love to, but I'm taking this cash out of my budget to turbocharge my Ford Ikon. That's the issue mainly, So i'm being really conservative on spending for this. But I'm sure if I get a bike for Rs. 10,000, I'll have to chip in another Rs. 10 - 15,000 to bring it back to life.

I'm a big fan of retro rides. That also explains why I want to buy a cool old bike and refurbish it.

CBZ and Pulsar in the list now.

Last edited by perfectfluke : 28th December 2010 at 21:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks