Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 10:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hero and Royal Enfield planning Diesel bikes

Quote:
Hero is already in talks with a Chennai based firm with whom a supply agreement is likely to be signed in first quarter of the next fiscal.
The bikes will sport engines over 400 cc which are currently undergoing certification testing at ARAI.
These motorcycles are likely to hit the market in the fourth quarter of the next fiscal.

Depending on response Hero could look at a possible licensed manufacturing of these engines in the future.

Royal Enfield is also in talks with the same supplier for a future diesel engine for it bullet range.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hero and Royal Enfield planning Diesel bikes

If they do materialize, they wont be the first diesel bikes in this country; RE had a diesel Bullet in the past, which became recognized more for its infamy than its virtues of doing a BLR-Pune run on 1 tankful of diesel !

It would be interesting to see the refinement levels of these new engines, if/when they do materialize.

The one manufacturer I can think of around the Chennai area that does low-capacity diesels is Greaves, near Ranipet. The other possibility (remote) that comes to mind is Delphi, but I've not known them to produce low-capacity diesels, atleast until now.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Was there not one more manufacturer, with the brand name of Sooraj?
The Enfield diesel Bullets used the Greaves-Lombardini engine. They ran almost on just love and pure air, according to Dilip Bam!
Old 6th January 2011, 12:28   #4
BHPian

Can't forget the 6.5 bhp, 80 kmph top speed RE-Diesel: What a cruel joke on the real bullet. This one and Sooraj appeared (and sounded) like generator engines strapped to bike chassis.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:32   #5
BHPian

Interesting piece of news. Moving in line with low capacity diesel engines planned in cars and now to low capacity diesels in two wheelers.

My question is, who will be the target customer? The urban or the rural customer.

At 400cc these bikes will be out of reach for the milk man/newspaper delivery people or other people looking for workhorse two wheeler. If it is to be for urban commuters or a lifestyle/touring bike etc will it beat the fun to drive factor of petrol engines. Hmm..
Old 6th January 2011, 12:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post

At 400cc these bikes will be out of reach for the milk man/newspaper delivery people or other people looking for workhorse two wheeler. If it is to be for urban commuters or a lifestyle/touring bike etc will it beat the fun to drive factor of petrol engines. Hmm..
There is no FTD factor in Splendor and the like, which are commuters. If it is 200cc or thereabouts, and priced no higher than a Unicorn, it will succeed. Else, RIP!
Old 6th January 2011, 12:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Haha! Their petrols vibrate so much, I can only imagine how horrible their diesels will be. Good news for the 'kitna deti hai' junta.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Can't forget the 6.5 bhp, 80 kmph top speed RE-Diesel: What a cruel joke on the real bullet. This one and Sooraj appeared (and sounded) like generator engines strapped to bike chassis.
I too remember seeing a few of them while in my teens in Chennai, very noisy and crude, but I'm sure owners loved them, as they could go on and on, on a tank full. If anyone has seen the machines they use to flush toilets in our railway stations, they would notice the engines look the same, may be they are the same.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

One of my neighbor had 2 Diesel RE's.They use to make horrible noise and took away the charm of the otherwise 'king of bikes'.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Earlier RE diesels were product of 70s and 80s technologies. This is 2011. I expect them to be turbo charged, common rail, BS IV NVH levels, etc. Probably power-wise will match ~18bhp or so, if not more. May increase the weight of bikes (>200kgs), but, the torque will be enormous.

-BJ
Old 6th January 2011, 13:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There is no FTD factor in Splendor and the like, which are commuters. If it is 200cc or thereabouts, and priced no higher than a Unicorn, it will succeed. Else, RIP!
200cc and priced no higher than Unicorn! is it possible? But if they manage to do that, they will have something going for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Earlier RE diesels were product of 70s and 80s technologies. This is 2011. I expect them to be turbo charged, common rail, BS IV NVH levels, etc. Probably power-wise will match ~18bhp or so, if not more. May increase the weight of bikes (>200kgs), but, the torque will be enormous.

-BJ
With common rail, turbo charger where is the price going to go!
I just can't see where the product fits in.

Hopefully we should know when and if it gets launched.
Old 6th January 2011, 14:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
I just can't see where the product fits in.
It can fit in only in the thrifty commuter segment IMO. A customer in this segment will be willing to pay 10 - 20k more than the Splendor range (100 - 125cc) for the diesel mileage.

Definitely not in the performance/touring categories.
Old 6th January 2011, 14:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Definitely not in the performance/touring categories.
Why not?

Weighty (firmly planted), good torque, relaxed ride, diesel economy what more a tourer needs? Current RE 500CC offerings cost about 1.6L. Add another ~50k to it, throw in a little turbo charger and DI... you have a recipe for success.

-BJ
Old 6th January 2011, 14:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Why not?

Weighty (firmly planted), good torque, relaxed ride, diesel economy what more a tourer needs? Current RE 500CC offerings cost about 1.6L. Add another ~50k to it, throw in a little turbo charger and DI... you have a recipe for success.

-BJ
I think not, for one major reason. At this category we are talking of a 500cc engine at least. It will sound like an ape' auto and not like a bike. If this obstacle is over come, then may be yes, may be. For the commuter category, this will be no problem so long as the bike delivers on FE.

Last edited by Gansan : 6th January 2011 at 14:37.
Old 6th January 2011, 14:31   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
like generator engines strapped to bike chassis.
I will give you a clue:
Name:  Engine.bmp
Views: 19129
Size:  148.6 KB
Found here: Greaves (Lumbardini) Portable Engine Pumps & Generators - Greaves (Lumbardini) Portable Engine Pumps & Generators Exporter, Manufacturer & Supplier, Mumbai, India

And this:
Hero and Royal Enfield planning Diesel bikes-diesel05112804.jpg
Guess?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks