Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 00:04   #1
BHPian

Taking your bike to a service station? Read this...

If your bike needs servicing or repairs, and you are heading to a service station to get your work done, always remember these points...

1. Prepare a list of what all work needs to be done.

2. Check your bike thoroughly at the service station for any damages, and check if all the accessories are in place. If possible take photographs.

3. See that the person collecting the bike from you makes a note of these details on the job card.

4. Do not listen to 'get this done/get that done, its necessary' kind of stuff if it is unnecessary, and it is not mentioned as compulsory in the users manual.

5. Sign the job card only after checking it.

6. Insist that You get your bike within the specified time.

7. While collecting your bike, insist that you get to see the bike BEFORE you pay the bill amount.

8. Check if the work is done properly, and also inspect the bike for any new damage. Take a test ride.

9. Pay the bill and collect your bike only after you are satisfied.

10. If the work is not done properly, or if you notice any new damages, refuse to accept the bike unless the problem is corrected. The details mentioned in the job card will be helpful for this.

11. Do not leave without checking the bike. If you notice any problem later, your complain will not be entertained.

The service stations are always under work pressure and tend to complete the bike hurriedly. This results in bad work. We need to be very careful and alert to avoid getting our bike messed. After all, we own the bike, and pay for the work. We cant let someone mess it up...
Tejas Ingle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2011, 07:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Going to a service station? Read this...

Good points.

To add a specific point,

* Check for the lights & indicators. I have seen many times after service, one or 2 bulbs being replaced saying it was fault.
* Also the fuel measurement.

And most of all, stop signing everywhere he shows blindly. Yes, its very usual for most to do.

Take few minutes to read whats in there. If not all points, atleast a glance will hint you whats in there.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:26   #3
BHPian

Re: Going to a service station? Read this...

Good point.
one more thing... take the delivery of your bike in day light.
Old 13th January 2011, 22:25   #4
BHPian

Re: Taking your bike to a service station? Read this...

I think we can add another point .
If your bike keys are tagged along with other keys in a bunch just make sure you leave only the Bike keys and remember to take back the other keys .
Old 13th January 2011, 23:07   #5
BHPian

yeah, it amazing what all precautions we have to take to avoid being cheated by each and every service center in this entire country.

appears that the vehicle service centers exist in india to cheat and not to service. wow!
Old 14th January 2011, 01:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
yeah, it amazing what all precautions we have to take to avoid being cheated by each and every service center in this entire country.

appears that the vehicle service centers exist in india to cheat and not to service. wow!
Its the same every where my friend . Its about taking precaution because precaution is better than cure . Am not being patriotic , but we dont need to play down india here .
Old 14th January 2011, 02:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good list Tejas, I am sure this will come handy to many folks.

Thanks for sharing this with us
Old 15th January 2011, 00:09   #8
BHPian

Yes, taking these precautions will definately help many. These simple points will be helpful to keep our bikes safe, and avoid frustration.

Please post any other points that have been missed out.
You may also post undesired situauions with service stations, you may have experienced so that others can avoid them.
Old 15th January 2011, 23:52   #9
BHPian

Guys, I think you have left the most important point - noting down the odo reading. I remember once my friend's bike was driven for more than 30kms (within just 30 hours). Irrespective of whether the service centre tops up the fuel tank again or not, we don't want our (softly-driven) bikes to be driven by the service guys who in most cases would drive rashly.
Old 16th January 2011, 09:07   #10
BHPian

IMO the following really helps:
1. Reach the service station early (around the service station opening time)
2. As far as possible be there in the waiting room, since if queued up, your bike won't take more than 2 hours to be serviced. I carry a couple of magazines or my iPod to kill time. You can also get a few amazing but practical tips on your bike straight from the guy fixing your bike if you hang around.

(I invariably take my Honda Aviator to Nawab Honda, gurgaon by 9.30 on a Saturday and usually I'm back home by 1)

Last edited by abhi413 : 16th January 2011 at 09:08.
Old 20th May 2011, 23:59   #11
BHPian

Got the second service of my bike done. Took all the above precautions. Got an excellent final result. The bike feels great.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks