Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2012, 00:28   #31

Re: Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?

Hi n.devdath,

Nice to see someone advocate CIs and it's mellow thump being a CI rider myself. I particularly get annoyed when I see one of them UCE riders with an aftermarket exhaust like a goldie or a rocket.

However, I have to stress that a CI sounds best or that legendary thump can be felt ONLY (no ifs and buts) with an original RE Short-bottle. What comes a close second is an RE original electra exhaust which is slightly longer.

I have an Indore silencer. As I write this post, my mechanic is trying to source an RE original short-bottle which shall be fitted on my ride in the next couple of days. The indore exhaust sounds good. But hey, we're bullet-lovers (add a CI to that) and "good-sound" doesnt even stand a chance against the THUMP!!

To sum it up... THUMP means the bassy exhaust note from an RE original short-bottle on a CI.. DOT.. PERIOD!!

Otherwise, whatever.. I mean, whatever.. It sounds good.. But that's how good it gets.

There are a lot of features like Oil-flow, twin-spark, better electricals and better-many-other-things on UCEs and AVLs.. But just not this!

On the other hand, I definitely would recommend UCEs for those URBANE riders and even some long-timers that dont what to fiddle around with their bulls and those riders that want to remain agnostic about the backend stuff (like all they want is "i put the key and hit start and shift gears and brake when i wanna stop" ). While I'd say the CIs have their share of problems, most of them can be handled with some basic tools you already have. And the best part is that these issues, if fixed well, dont reappear for quite some time.

But more than anything, it more a personal choice.

Happy thumping!
Old 25th August 2013, 22:56   #32
BHPian

What happened finally, Swami? Did you buy your bull? I had the dilemma of choosing between CL350 and Electra( UCE 350 Standard was also there in the initial list, but lack of ES was an issue for me). I zeroed on to CL350 and booked on Aug,3rd. Next week the dealer offered me Electra TS. Could not resist it as I was is no position of extending the waiting period. Finally, my long cherished dream (of almost 15 years) fulfilled on Aug,14th when I brought home the black beauty (Electra Black TS with ES). The running in is going on now.
Old 9th August 2015, 11:29   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all,
Just bumped into this thread looking for reviews on the bull since I'm keen on buying one this year, though I'm normally more or less regular in the vintage and classic threads (now you'd guess what made me like the bullet! )
I've recently had a test ride on the classic 350cc as well as the Standard 350cc UCEs at a local dealer's. TBH, didn't like the electra with its overdose of (cheapish) chrome nor the un-bullet looking T -Bird! Now I was initially drawn towards the now more popular classic 350cc due to its looks but the moment I got onto it, I decided that this was not for me! Too heavy for one thing (for me!) which I didn't reckon too practical for me. But I took to the good ol' standard 350cc instantly and zeroed in on it, though I too felt it had minus points with lack of front discs and self starter, which another dealer known to me said could be added on, at additional cost of course but it suits me more than having to pay more upfront for a model with all this (none of which other models I prefer, as mentioned.)
A Facebook friend from TN who owns a standard but 500cc advised me to go for one instead of 350cc as the 500cc has disc brakes and ES. Agreed, BUT I really don't feel a need for an extra 150cc and 10kg of weight just for that! Not to mention the lesser mileage issue due to the same factors (I know bulleteers find it a dirty word but frankly I wouldn't say no to 10km more if there were a chance for't!)
He argues that the 500cc gives a mileage only marginally higher than that of 350cc (32 vs 35 as per him) and it'd give even 40 if you 'drove it like a government transport bus i.e. below 40kmph!!
But frankly then, is it worth spending above 1.5L on a 500cc machine only to drive it that way?
He says that fitting an ES and front disc brake in.a standard 350cc would cost me a lot and almost the same as the on - road price of a 500cc but I doubt that's true. Would need to do some homework on this in any case. Even so, I see it as no justification for spending on an extra 150cc (which i for sure dont need even on long journeys) and 10kg of weight.

Last edited by Stanher : 9th August 2015 at 11:35.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 03:43   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Only you know how your intend to ride the motorcycle and if a 350 meets your needs then go for it.

As for the ES and Disk brake, if you buy a new "Classic", it comes with these features. (The "Bullet" does not.)
I am using the Royalenfield.com names here.

As for the 350/500 issue, if you intend to ride just in city/urban areas, the 350 will work fine.

If you intend to ride with others on board or if you wish to take long distance rides, the 500 is more suited to the task.

I am not saying the 350 is incapable of long distance rides or others riding pillion but the 350 will be working much harder, rather than just loafing along like the 500 would.

I've probably already said this in this topic but as the title of it is, "Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?", I will toss in my thoughts on this.

The Iron Barrel is a great old motorcycle but it's engine was designed roughly 80 years ago.
It was designed in a day when riding at speeds over 70 kmph on roadways was almost unheard of.
In these modern times with better roads and the higher speeds autos are traveling, the Iron Barrel is out of its league.

The UCE's on the other hand incorporate designs that are totally capable of living happily with the modern pace of today without fear of damage.

If modern features like a front disk brake and electric start are high on your priority list, give strong thought to buying the Classic 350, the Bullet 500 or the Classic 500.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 21:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Finally the CL350
Pros
Zapper tyres
ride comfort was good as well
cons :
Seats, the look is fantastic, but i am not sure how practical it is going to be with double seats when i take my kids or my wife out
I'm not really certain if the Zapper tyres should be included in the Pros section. From my experience, this particular tyre offer the worst possible wet road grips. On Dry roads, they do a good job. I don't know if there are better tyres. My tyres will still do lots and lots of km so I haven't really looked around for an alternative. When it is time for me to change, i'll start thinking about it.

And as for the seating, the pillion seat of the classic is not really comfortable or spacious. Since you mentioned kids and wife, particularly if your wife insists on sitting sideways, classic is going to be a bit uncomfortable. The bullet gets the upper hand in this.

As a side note, if its a bike you want, reliable and for major use as a family man, the new UCE engines are like the obvious choice. But if its a "Bullet" you want, you might still wanna go for the CI engine.
PS: TD the Street 750. I'm just saying...
Old 11th August 2015, 20:42   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Only you know how your intend to ride the motorcycle and if a 350 meets your needs then go for it.

As for the ES and Disk brake, if you buy a new "Classic", it comes with these features. (The "Bullet" does not)
If modern features like a front disk brake and electric start are high on your priority list, give strong thought to buying the Classic 350, the Bullet 500 or the Classic 500.
Well, as I mentioned in my post above, the classic is definitely OFF my list despite the ES and DB. If said features can both be incorporated at a later stage by an authorised RE dealer on a standard 350cc then that works just fine with me!
Old 12th August 2015, 07:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, as I mentioned in my post above, the classic is definitely OFF my list despite the ES and DB. If said features can both be incorporated at a later stage by an authorised RE dealer on a standard 350cc then that works just fine with me!
Getting a classic 350 & changing the body panels to that of Std seems to be the easy way. As simple as changing clothes, its a straight forward job & much of the cost could be recovered by selling off the leftovers. Adding ES to Std is exciting mod & possible but its just that it involves too much work, many more parts and is expensive as well. Afaik, ES idler jackshaft wants the centre-cases open to go in. Need new sprag-engine sprocket, idler gears, motor & then the Wiring kit, switches, battery, & even alternator stator & RR etc.

cheers.,

Last edited by Rennjit : 12th August 2015 at 07:15. Reason: ;-)
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 09:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to both ArizonaJim and Rennjit. It is you who is going to ride the bike and based on your posts I believe you will be good with a 350cc RE motor.

Disclaimer: Don't test ride the 500cc before or after buying the 350cc else you will yearn for it. I am amazed you have ruled out the RE Electra just on the basis of its chrome mudguards. I have told this many times that the Electra is the most underrated motorcycles from the RE stable(In fact I have successfully converted one of my Standard Bullet CI's to Electra and I find the modification well worth it). As Rennjit has posted it would be better to buy RE Electra or CL350 (I would prefer the former as it has both 19 inch wheels). Changing from Electra chrome mudguards to Standard Bullet black mudguards wont be much of a challenge both penny wise and labour wise. Now get this RE Electra gives you a front disc brake (no matter how good the front drum brake it can never match the braking efficiency of a Disc brake). My Standard to Electra transformation although doesn't include electric starter has improved the ride quality thanks to superb front fork damping and well cushioned rear shock ups. The front disc brake is awesome and boosts my confidence while sudden/urgent braking. This comes from a rider who owns and rides multiple RE's. At the end of the day its your call . Happy Choosing.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 20:13   #39
BHPian

Although you haven't mentioned, I'd strongly recommend the new Standard 500. I rode both Classic 350 and Std 500 for my last trip to Ladakh with my wife as pillion. Classic just cannot match the royal feel of the motorcycle. Shorter wheelbase, split seat, smaller tyres and weird (read: tiring) handle bar position. Moreover, the single seat of Std 500 is light years ahead of Classics in comfort. Here's a simple cheat I use, look for the shape of the rear mudguard. If it is rounded, it is meant for the new age Jap bike riding kids who want to transition over to RE to show off. The curved L shaped mudguard is what the legend is known for.

Moreover, at a lot of passes 350 loses steam if you need to pick up from standstill whereas 500 could pick up on any terrain easily. Those extra horses surely make their presence felt on most of the difficult terrains.

The dark green is too good a color to pass up.
zzzehar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 21:26   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Getting a classic 350 & changing the body panels to that of Std seems to be the easy way. As simple as changing clothes, its a straight forward job & much of the cost could be recovered by selling off the leftovers. ,
Doesn't the Classic have a longer wheelbase though?
Old 13th August 2015, 07:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't the Classic have a longer wheelbase though?
Wheelbase i think is the same but rear wheel size is different, 18" on classics & 19" on bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
... Classic just cannot match the royal feel of the motorcycle. ... /snip/ .... Here's a simple cheat I use, look for the shape of the rear mudguard. If it is rounded, it is meant for the new age Jap bike riding kids who want to transition over to RE to show off. The curved L shaped mudguard is what the legend is known for.
For the "Royal feel" you need to ride a CI. No Uce can ever simply match that.
The men who built the motorcycle in the 1950's with the Round rear mudguard were not riding Jap bikes i believe nor would they have had to showoff . And then the CI500 came with a round mudguard!
Infact, it is the Uce which favors quick transition to RE these days.
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 10:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Classic just cannot match the royal feel of the motorcycle. Shorter wheelbase, split seat, smaller tyres and weird (read: tiring) handle bar position. Here's a simple cheat I use, look for the shape of the rear mudguard. If it is rounded, it is meant for the new age Jap bike riding kids who want to transition over to RE to show off. The curved L shaped mudguard is what the legend is known for.
+1 to Rennjit's quote. zzzehar mate RE Standard CI production was stopped in late 2009 early 2010. The people who wanted to buy a brand new RE Standard CI were left in lurch and had two options. Option 1 was to buy a used Standard CI which would be heavily overpriced for obvious reasons in addition to underlying problems of a used motorcycle. Option 2 was to buy a brand new RE Classic or any other UCE powered model as all RE's came with same engine configuration barring 500cc which came in EFi variant also. Most of the people went for the Option 2 that doesn't mean we label them as "new age Jap bike riding kids". I own three CI Standard Bullets out of which two are vintage CI's. I converted one of them 1996 model CI Standard to Electra with Electra round mudguards, front forks, rear shockups, front disc brake, etc. which looks cool and is functionally brilliant. As stated by Rennjit you must see the late 1950's and early 1960's Bullet Standard CI 350 models which came with what was called a round chassis and round vein mudguards. Also the 500cc CI variants came with round mudguards during the early 1990's. Mate we have to learn to respect each others' rides .
Old 30th August 2015, 19:18   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Adding ES to Std is exciting mod & possible but its just that it involves too much work, many more parts and is expensive as well. Afaik, ES idler jackshaft wants the centre-cases open to go in. Need new sprag-engine sprocket, idler gears, motor & then the Wiring kit, switches, battery, & even alternator stator & RR etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
+1 to both ArizonaJim and Rennjit. It is you who is going to ride the bike and based on your posts I believe you will be good with a 350cc RE motor.

Disclaimer: Don't test ride the 500cc before or after buying the 350cc else you will yearn for it. I am amazed you have ruled out the RE Electra just on the basis of its chrome mudguards. I have told this many times that the Electra is the most underrated motorcycles. Changing from Electra chrome mudguards to Standard Bullet black mudguards wont be much of a challenge both penny wise and labour wise. Now get this RE Electra gives you a front disc brake (no matter how good the front drum brake it can never match the braking efficiency of a Disc brake). My Standard to Electra transformation although doesn't include electric starter has improved the ride quality thanks to superb front fork damping and well cushioned rear shock ups. The front disc brake is awesome and boosts my confidence while sudden/urgent braking. This comes from a rider who owns and rides multiple RE's. At the end of the day its your call . Happy Choosing.
Quote:
Although you haven't mentioned, I'd strongly recommend the new Standard 500. I rode both Classic 350 and Std 500 for my last trip to Ladakh with my wife as pillion. Classic just cannot match the royal feel of the motorcycle. Shorter wheelbase, split seat, smaller tyres and weird (read: tiring) handle bar position. Moreover, the single seat of Std 500 is light years ahead of Classics in comfort.

Moreover, at a lot of passes 350 loses steam if you need to pick up from standstill whereas 500 could pick up on any terrain easily. Those extra horses surely make their presence felt on most of the difficult terrains.
The dark green is too good a color to pass up.
Guys, just wanted to bump back with an update - Firstly, I've finally taken a TD on a standard 500cc as well! Though this was exactly a week ago, last Sunday. I was initially drawn towards features like the ES, front DB and rear gas shocks though not exactly floored by it all. But when it came to taking the actual ride, the weight of 13kg more than the Standard 350cc put me off tbh, as well as the price tag of 50k more than the latter! I was not too confident I could handle this burly bull! And I don't want to get into the EMI-loan rigmarole just for this either! I would've still considered it had it atleast been in the price range as the Electra. But main concern is the weight - when I'd posted my views on this on Facebook, a lot of people had tried to convince me saying I'd get used to it, twas only psychological, go build my body and go for 500cc etc etc etc..BUT easier said than done imho! I know my body and mind better so if i couldn't build up a 'Jatt' physique in all these years or any kind of weight (I don't work for a corporate MNC either! ) I don't see how I can in the next year or less! Call it intuition or what you will but I somehow didn't think I was too compatible with the 500cc! And considering this isn't exactly a cheap purchase, I don't want to spend so much on a bike only to be intimidated whenever I take it off its stand!
And all that trouble for only a once-in-a-year or even lifetime trip to places like Leh and Manali (since someone commented that the 500 can pull through passes better than the 350cc)
Next checked for the possibility of buying and converting an Electra to standard mudguards with the concerned dealer whom I happen to know. He pointed out that while it waspossible, it'd involve changing the entire front fork assembly as they're both different on the Electra vs. Standard (seen in pics)

http://img01.olx.in/images_olxin/669...d-new-moga.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...A=w443-h332-nc

So as per him this would not work out too economically either! Added to the fact that I'd pay more for the Electra just to buy it new before spending on these mods.

So...as of now my verdict is for- dumb as it sounds- the Standard 350cc and later invest on upgrading it to the ES, front discs etc as on Electra as finances permit. I guess I may be in a position to go for a 500cc once I get used to a 350cc for a good few years...and finances permitting of course.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st August 2015 at 06:09. Reason: Deleting extra smiley
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 20:03   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
it'd involve changing the entire front fork assembly as they're both different on the Electra vs. Standard (seen in pics.
NOTE: This was NOT a smiley but appeared that way when I put the colon : before closing the bracket (pointing out this since only two smilies allowed per post) and it's too late for me to edit my above post- hence apologies for the back-to-back post.
Old 30th August 2015, 21:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I'd pay more for the Electra just to buy it new before spending on these mods.

So...as of now my verdict is for- dumb as it sounds- the Standard 350cc and later invest on upgrading it to the ES, front discs etc as on Electra as finances permit. I guess I may be in a position to go for a 500cc once I get used to a 350cc for a good few years...and finances permitting of course.
If you go for the Electra, then you will miss the most important feature of the Standard 350 - The "Heavy Crank"

I have been riding a Standard 350 UCE since 2011 and has never missed the Electric start (I have planned to install it during old age though) or the disk brakes. I have done panic stops from good speeds and the twin lead front brakes had done a good job. The thing to remember is to learn to adjust the twin lead front brakes properly and do the job yourself. Assign the job to RE ASS and you will have scary moments in the road

So what I would say is- if you like the looks of a Standard 350, just go ahead and buy it and ride it as it is. Just change the tank motif to the old type. The new ones doesn't appeal to me ; then it is just me.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks